Menu

Please Help DH allergic reaction!!

NatureMomma

My husband is Chicago and was supposed to be on a flight to come home right now, and he texted me saying that in the middle of an important meeting he started having swelling in his lip and trouble talking. He excused himself and had to leave, and ended up missing his flight and driving to urgent care.

Does this sound like food allergies to him? He was very, very stressed about this meeting as it was with the VP of the corporation hes been working with. He said he had fish and chips in the cafeteria and that it tasted cheap, but he's never had a reaction before to fish.

His symptoms now include some dizziness, lips feel tight, and tingly, puffy face, but NO trouble breathing.

Does this sound like a food allergy or stress induced?

I'm worried about him being alone tonight, and since he missed his flight hell need to stay there overnight in a hotel.

What do they typically do for this?

Dh used to have stress reactions like that.  They came on suddenly, and not necessarily when he was stressed- for him, it often happened AFTER the stressful event was over.  

After a trip in an ambulance because he passed out, the ER docs told him to have benedryl with him and take it when he starts having a reaction.  He hasn't had one in years but dd has similar ones and benedryl was her doctor's suggestion also. 

Hope your dh feels better!!

I think stress increases the likelihood and severity of allergic reactions.  Both times I have suffered anaphalaxis I was under a great deal of stress. 

ETA:  I agree with the Benadryl.  I always carry the liquid gels.  To get a fast dose, I bite them and then stick them under my tongue to squeeze the liquid out.  It works fast and well.  Of course, I also carry an epi, but hopefully will never have to use it again!

Boy gets hives with cooked milk. His nut anaphylaxis didn't have hives until the secondary reaction.

For most of his reactions (all but the anaphylaxis), Benadryl and maybe an oral steroid has taken care of it.

For the anaphylaxis, he had steroids, epinephrine, and IV Benadryl equivalent.

If your husband was seen at urgent care and they didn't think it was allergies and he's not having trouble breathing, Benadryl likely would be enough. I probably would take it, just in case.

The trouble talking is concerning. I'd have injected boy with epi given your husband's symptoms. If he's concerned, he can hang out in the waiting room for a couple hours and see if it progresses.

:grouphug: it's scary.

It could be stress or other allergies as well...

Thank you for all the help, they are injecting a steroid and watching him for an hour.

Does this seem like a reasonable time to keep him? I can't help but worry about him being alone in a hotel room, 😟and something happening, but I'm a worry wort that way.

I'm just glad he didn't get on his plane. I too was thinking stress induced but he thinks its the food.

Thanks for the support ladies!

Ok, so they have the epi pen (is that the name)- Shot in the arm, 2 shots of Benadryl and a huge shot in his butt.

They told him its a serious reaction and they want to stop it before it gets potentially worse. I'm so glad they are taking it seriously.

Should he stay away from fish now???

I'd say it sounds reasonable...the danger with allergic reactions is a later reaction...biphasic. That's what my son had. However, we were lucky that his initial reaction was definitely a food allergy. He ate the cashews at 6pm. I injected him with the Epi about 6:20 while we were on the way to the ER just in case. He had the steroids, IV, and then was doing better until the secondary reaction at about 11;30. That was when he got more epinephrine and admitted overnight.

Food allergies can start at any time. May be wise to see an allergist when he gets home.

I'd suggest he ask at the urgent care whether they think it is stress or food and if food, what concern is there for a biphasic reaction....that can be multiple hours later.... But if he doesn't need the epinephrine initially, he may be okay and not at risk for secondary reaction....

If it were me, I'd probably want hourly contact until about midnight. I'd also want the number of the hotel and his room number so if I didn't get a response within 10 min, I'd call the hotel and ask them to do a check... We'd talk in advance about shower, so I wouldn't call during that time... But I also do tend to think through worst case situations as well.

Ok, so they have the epi pen (is that the name)- Shot in the arm, 2 shots of Benadryl and a huge shot in his butt.

They told him its a serious reaction and they want to stop it before it gets potentially worse. I'm so glad they are taking it seriously.

Should he stay away from fish now???

I'd stay away from anything he ate that day, not just fish, and go see an allergist once he's home.    Glad he got it taken care of at the urgent care.

Dana,

I'm glad you son was ok! That sounds scary.

They did give the epi-pen along with steroids, and they said they didn't know what caused it, but to carry an epi-pen for the rest of his life, so will definitely have him see an allergist ASAP.

The nurse did come in and say its not going down as much as they expected, he sent me pics, and his lips literally look like they're 4 times their normal size!!

I've never heard of a biphasic reaction- now I'm more worried.

They want him to stay near the Urgent care for at least 24 hrs and not fly, but they said it will probably take 3 days to go down.

I m SO worried about him leaving and being on his own in a hotel room. If he gets worse he won't know it of he's asleep right?

Dana gave great advice.  I'd want hourly contact with him for at least 10 hours after the reaction because of the risk of biphasic reaction, and if you don't hear back within 10 minutes have the hotel check on him.  He should tell the desk he's having issues and that it's okay.

:grouphug:

So stressful, I'm so sorry!  I hope he's okay.

Dana,

I'm glad you son was ok! That sounds scary.

They did give the epi-pen along with steroids, and they said they didn't know what caused it, but to carry an epi-pen for the rest of his life, so will definitely have him see an allergist ASAP.

The nurse did come in and say its not going down as much as they expected, he sent me pics, and his lips literally look like they're 4 times their normal size!!

I've never heard of a biphasic reaction- now I'm more worried.

They want him to stay near the Urgent care for at least 24 hrs and not fly, but they said it will probably take 3 days to go down.

I m SO worried about him leaving and being on his own in a hotel room. If he gets worse he won't know it of he's asleep right?

A hotel would definitely be cheaper... but he probably could get admitted to the hospital overnight.

I don't know if he'd know if there was further reaction if he were asleep.

Be sure to get a prescription for the Epi-pen two pack or the Auvi-Q two pack. They come with trainers that can be helpful.

The Auvi-Q is cool because it's got a smaller size than the Epi... and it give oral directions :)  I injected boy with the Epi - but if I hadn't used the trainer, I wouldn't have known to listen for the click and not having heard the click, needed to reinject since the needle hadn't deployed (it was dark at the time).

FARE is a great organization for getting information about food allergies.

It may be helpful to you some in doing research while you panic until he returns :grouphug: I do understand.

The best book I read about food allergies was Food Allergies for Dummies. That was about 6 years ago now & there may be better information.

Boy's hives appeared at the biphasic stage - for him, 5 hours after original ingestion. The hives did last from Sunday night to Wednesday. He was on steroids for a bit and regular Benadryl.

Each person's reaction can be different - and past reactions aren't a predictor of future reactions... they could be easier or much worse. When in doubt, give the Epi.

I don't know if it were my son (as an adult) if I'd encourage him to hang out in the ER overnight just in case or get admitted... money is the concern there... If someone were monitoring, I'd be okay going home after a couple of hours...but with no monitoring, I'm not sure where my comfort level would be.

He's not on any Meds. Healthy, but just been under a lot of stress.

They are admitting him to the ER, as the swellings not going down like they'd like and they're afraid it could swell up again once the steroids wear off...

Silly question... But I don't know anything about allergies and I'm terrified right now.

Is there a possibility that if it swells up again and they administer the Meds that they just won't/don't always work?

I'm so worried that the worse will happen. Does the epi pen/steroids really do what they're supposed to?

They are admitting him to the ER, as the swellings not going down like they'd like and they're afraid it could swell up again once the steroids wear off...

Silly question... But I don't know anything about allergies and I'm terrified right now.

Is there a possibility that if it swells up again and they administer the Meds that they just won't/don't always work?

I'm so worried that the worse will happen. Does the epi pen/steroids really do what they're supposed to?

Unfortunately, no, there are people who have died after receiving the Epi. It's not a cure-all.

The GOOD NEWS is that doesn't sound like what's happening with your husband.

The fact that he's lucid and can breathe is VERY GOOD.

If he's at the ER and meds aren't working for breathing, I console myself with the idea of surgery being available. However, they have a LOT of meds at the ER.

I'd be thinking Chicago is a good place to be... as a large city, they'd have more experience than a small city or town hospital.

Plan on him being admitted overnight or staying in the ER.

Yes, you'll panic... but boy got EXCELLENT care in the ER (not so great in the room... they sent up a meal tray with milk... another of his allergies...so he couldn't eat while there).

It is sounding like everything is being done that can be. Keep reminding yourself of that.

Hang in there.

He is in the best place he could be, where his vitals will be monitored and doctors and nurses will be able to help him immediately. Typically, swelling due to allergies improves fairly quickly with steroids and antihistamines. Steroids are an anti inflammatory and antihistamines counteract the action of histamines , which are released in allergic reactions. Histamines cause cells to become "leaky" and when fluid leaves cells, it collects in the space between cells in the soft tissue of the upper part of the skin, causing swelling. Blood vessels lose muscle tone and become wider, causing blood pressure to drop. Epinephrine is used because it causes blood vessels to constrict and counteract the decrease in blood pressure. I am a general practitioner, by the way.

If his swelling is not improving rapidly , they will definitely keep him for observation and they will see if there are any other causes for it. As I mentioned before , some medications can cause a condition called angioedema which can look like allergic hives and is equally as dangerous. I know you are worried , but try to take it one step at a time. It may take a while to find out what the cause was and in many many cases, a definite cause is never found. You should call the place DH dined and speak to the person who prepared his meal and find out exactly what was in it, what other foods were prepared in the kitchen, and whether there was possible contamination with any of the most common allergens (google "common anaphylactic allergens"), such as shellfish, peanuts, and tree nuts. Also, call DH's physician and let him or her know what is going on. It's possible they may be able to help in the diagnosis from a closer knowledge of DH's past medical history.

I'd say it sounds reasonable...the danger with allergic reactions is a later reaction...biphasic. That's what my son had. However, we were lucky that his initial reaction was definitely a food allergy. He ate the cashews at 6pm. I injected him with the Epi about 6:20 while we were on the way to the ER just in case. He had the steroids, IV, and then was doing better until the secondary reaction at about 11;30. That was when he got more epinephrine and admitted overnight.

Food allergies can start at any time. May be wise to see an allergist when he gets home.

I'd suggest he ask at the urgent care whether they think it is stress or food and if food, what concern is there for a biphasic reaction....that can be multiple hours later.... But if he doesn't need the epinephrine initially, he may be okay and not at risk for secondary reaction....

If it were me, I'd probably want hourly contact until about midnight. I'd also want the number of the hotel and his room number so if I didn't get a response within 10 min, I'd call the hotel and ask them to do a check... We'd talk in advance about shower, so I wouldn't call during that time... But I also do tend to think through worst case situations as well.

You ladies who deal with allergies in kids are seriously tough gals.  Just so you know, you have my deep respect.

Admission is a good thing - sounds like he has had a severe reaction.  If it continues, and if he has trouble breathing, they can always intubate him.  It sounds like they are keeping a really close eye on him, so that is good, too.  If his bp goes down, they will be able to help him with that, too.  I'm so sorry you are having to watch this from afar. But he is in good hands in an ER.  It's better that he doesn't travel or sleep alone until he is completely over the reaction.  (I'm a mother of two anaphylactic and asthmatic kids)

It could be angioedema. My dh had it and had trouble for just over a year. There was extreme swelling of the extremities (started with lips/face) but no trouble breathing for him. The first time we rushed to the ER and they thought it was a food allergy. He's completely fine now.

I hope your dh is okay and I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

so i feel better knowing he's admitted to the ER.  that's much better than being in a hotel room by himself.  i am so glad he went!!!

they take allergic/stress reactions seriously, which is good!  it might be a good idea to let the company know what happened and where he is.  (ie.  there are people in chicago who ought to be concerned about him!)

hugs,

ann

Can he take Allegra as a regimen on the way home?  It's a pretty good antihistimine, and non-drowsy.  I wonder whether they will give him a tapered dose of steroids to take for a few days as well.

I agree with the rest that it sounds like he is getting very good care, and safest at the ER than any other place he could possibly be. 

:grouphug: It sounds like he's getting great care. My son had a biphasic reaction, where anaphylaxis returned after resolution of initial symptoms.  I would want to be at the hospital for 10 hours, and then near someone to help for 24 hours to help mitigate that risk. I'm glad they are keeping him.

He'll have his epi pens, benadryl (in the system and on the person), and I assume steroids in his system for the return trip. That would reassure me. I'm sorry that happened, and especially when he's away from home. :crying:

UPDATE:

Well they discharged him, as there was no more indication of swelling, and seemed to be improving. He's armed with steroids, Benadryl and the Epi.

They want him to stay in Chicago until this evening and then he can catch a flight home if there's no problems. I'm hoping this is enough time? Could the swelling come back or does he need to be careful for a while?

I hate the thought if him on a plane for a few hours and not able to get help if he needs to.

I spent a very sleepless night and am just thankful he went to Urgent Care when he did. He doesn't hardly ever go to the Dr. And tends to brush things off. They said if he hasn't have come in when he did it could have been very bad.

Thank you for all the help, and support!

UPDATE:

Well they discharged him, as there was no more indication of swelling, and seemed to be improving. He's armed with steroids, Benadryl and the Epi.

They want him to stay in Chicago until this evening and then he can catch a flight home if there's no problems. I'm hoping this is enough time? Could the swelling come back or does he need to be careful for a while?

I hate the thought if him on a plane for a few hours and not able to get help if he needs to.

I spent a very sleepless night and am just thankful he went to Urgent Care when he did. He doesn't hardly ever go to the Dr. And tends to brush things off. They said if he hasn't have come in when he did it could have been very bad.

Thank you for all the help, and support!

The steroids should start having some effect today (well, probably overnight last night) and will hopefully put him on the road to recovery. 

It is a *good* thing that they want him to stay in Chicago until this evening.  He now has all of today to rest and keep an eye on himself (and yes, what about his Chicago colleagues - he should let them know so they can check up on him in person today - and they should call you just to say that they've seen him - it would probably make you feel better) closely.  If he is unsure about anything today, he should go back to the ER.  It sounds like they will not let him fly unless he is really well.  Don't let him brush off anything today.  Even the smallest concern.

It does sound like he is getting better, though.  Just keep on top of it today and don't let him get away with brushing things off.  :D

I started having stress reactions like that a few years ago, particularly the tingly, tight lip thing that makes it difficult to speak, with some of the shortness of breath.  It was pure anxiety for me.  

I didn't recognize it because I didn't feel anxious at the time, but then I realized it only happens in times of stress.  I have no known food or environmental allergies.

Glad he's ok.

Glad to hear the good news.

I haven't heard of secondary reactions appearing after 24 hours, so I'd feel good about that.

Fish is easy to avoid (if that's the cause).

Hope you get him back tonight and glad he went in!