Menu

OB ruptures membranes accid. at 26 wks!!!

8 1/2 years ago my GYN/OB was doing an exam on me at my 38 wk check up and accidentally ruptured my membranes. I had to be induced and my ds was okay..after a vacuum extraction. The whole experience was traumatic and the rest of my dc were born at home with a midwife.

I just heard last night that my neighbor went in for a check up with this same OB for a 26 wk check up. He ruptured her membranes doing an internal exam and she had to be taken to a children's hospital for an emerg C-section. My husband plays b-ball with her older sons. She doesn't speak English very well and so I imagine the whole situation is more difficult than it would be if she did.

I am so angry!!! It is just so senseless! The baby is alive and will be in the hospital a month or more... I am not sure of the exact prognosis. The hospital in 60 to 75 minutes away.

Two questions...

Is there any recourse for her?? How would one even go about that?

AND what can I take her to bless her? What does someone who has had a CS plus has a baby in the hospital need for comfort ? She has a 18, 16, 3 yo at home.

For those prayer warriors out there please keep this fam in your prayers!!

Wow. What a tough situation this doctor has put you all in!

I would say some things you can do to help her out would be:

1. Meals--even while she's traveling to be with her new baby.

2. Babysitting for the younger one so that it doesn't all fall to the oldest in the family all the time.

3. Just keeping an eye out for opportunities to bless her.

I don't know if there's recourse or not, but, I would think that some sort of malpractice has occurred. Is the hospital bill going to be covered, or will they have to pay something? Most attorneys will meet with them for free and work with them for free until they get some sort of settlement. I don't know if that's a good suggestion or not, but, they shouldn't have to pay for the care for this preemie.

:grouphug:

oh man....

I think I'd find a mean attorney that could speak her language and let him know your own history. Y'all might find other cases where he "accidentally" ruptured membranes early. Or not. But considering the history I'd want to find out.

As for helping her, i bet she'll need lots of help w/ her 3yo, so I'd try to wrangle up some babysitters to give her a break or help out w/ household chores and meals.

prayers here!

I think I'd find a mean attorney that could speak her language and let him know your own history. Y'all might find other cases where he "accidentally" ruptured membranes early. Or not. But considering the history I'd want to find out.

Here too. I think I'd be writing some letters to the medical board to have his license reviewed.

It was best not to upset the area.

This is true! My sister is a midwife and I called her this AM to ask if there would be any possible situation where an internal exam is merited. She said, "No. An exam wouldn't change anything and if you are worried about something you would be foolish to mess with it." She explained that with baby #4 the cervix can be open a couple centimeters for several months of the pregnancy which can make the bag of waters even more fragile. Plus if a woman has any yeast infections or strep B it even further weakens the BOW. All the more reason to stay OUT!

That poor mom and baby and family. (and poor you, PameliaSue. That rhymes.) I'll pray for them.

With my first pregnancy I had to read IN A BOOK that I could refuse internal exams and why I might like to do so...I mean I had NO ONE to turn to in my pregnancy.

I hope she has some recourse.

Wow. I can hardly believe and am utterly stunned that a doctor could do something so ill-considered and obtuse. I am and will be praying for the entire family - especially that little one.

I think Dayle's suggestions are spot on. If you can work out the logistics and you feel it would not be annoying to them, I might even offer to do the laundry or other housework, too. I had a friend do my laundry when I was recuperating from a back surgery once and that was such a huge blessing to us at the time.

I recently asked a nurse I know what recourse our family may have for possible negligent medical care. Here's what she told me:

Find a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant or a REPUTABLE malpractice attorney and let them review her chart. To really know what happened you really need to go through the chart. It will tell you EVERYTHING. A REPUTABLE malpractice or LNC can tell your family if there is a case. (Don't call those 1-800 numbers on TV! Find a local malpractice attorney and then ask for references).

And yeah... there's really no reason to do an internal at 26 weeks that I know of. My doctors NEVER did them past the initial exam until the last month of pregnancy, and sometimes not even then!!

Another way to help...

Who will stay with baby in the hospital? How will they get back and forth? Who will watch the younger ones (though perhaps the older ones can manage that). Etc.

If the baby is in the hospital for a long time, meals during that time would be super appreciated! Also, if the parent(s) will be at the hospital, maybe rolls of quarters for vending machines; gift cards to restaurants close to the hospital; little "specials" like lifesavers, hard candy, hand lotion, etc., to take along to the hospital....

I am slightly confused.

Why was there an internal exam being done at 26 weeks unless there were complications?

Wouldn't she have had to have been dialated in order to rupture her membranes?

I can't figure out *how* he ruptured her membranes. However, the OB I went to for my first baby, the one that convinced me to never birth with an OB again if at all possible, did an internal exam at every. single. appointment. No complications. It was just standard for that practice.

I can't figure out *how* he ruptured her membranes. However, the OB I went to for my first baby, the one that convinced me to never birth with an OB again if at all possible, did an internal exam at every. single. appointment. No complications. It was just standard for that practice.

I have to tell you that sounds like you had a bizarre OB. I have never in 8 full term pregnancies been checked internally until after 36 weeks except for once when I was having contractions after being hit in the abdomen by a swing.

I think about how even stripping membranes doesn't even cause labor for many full term women.

I am wondering if she was already having pre-term labor and was fairly dilated??? I don't have a clue. But I do wonder if there is more to the story.

Either way, the poor family is going to be under tremendous stress and the baby is critically early. Prayers for them.

I'd tell her to hire a lawyer and to not talk to anyone except the lawyer about the case. This case is strengthened by the fact that the OB has caused at least one early birth in the past by his accidentally rupturing the membranes.

The doctor, his representatives, the insurance company -- anyone, practically -- could talk to her or get her to sign something that can be used against her. That's why she should not say one word to anyone who tries to engage her in conversation about this.

If she doesn't know a great lawyer, advise her to call the local bar association for the name of a great medical malpractice attorney. Or research it on Google for her. The guys to go with, IMO, are not the ones who advertise on t.v.

My triplets were born at 27 weeks, not due to medical malpractice, and it is sheer h*ll to go through that for both the baby and the parents. Plus, being born so early can cause deleterious effects on the child, some of which will not show up until they are school age.

RC

Poor lady and her preemie baby--sending lots of prayers and well wishes.

I had two toddlers at home when our triplets were in the hospital (2 wks) and it was a tough experience. Driving is difficult post c-section (dr told me not to drive while using pain meds, so I didn't use then. He didn't specify they were intended for use and he wanted someone else to drive. Emotions and logic are not stellar postpartum.)

Are there others who might be willing to help driving, meals, tending to the 3y/o, etc for the next several months? A general rule of thumb is baby's home arrival is approx original due date. That will be a lot of time away from her home and family. Meals, diapers, even a few doll outfits (which fit preemies well) are appreciated.

It is common practice to have internal exam at each visit. All our OB-GYNs did this (4 practices--12 drs total). I thought it was standard procedure everywhere.

I have to tell you that sounds like you had a bizarre OB. I have never in 8 full term pregnancies been checked internally until after 36 weeks except for once when I was having contractions after being hit in the abdomen by a swing.

I'm very happy that you had such good experiences. I don't know what else to say, except that this was a very well-regarded OB, in a huge practice at a very large hospital in Dallas. And that was SOP for the practice. Thankfully you never encountered this practice. I notice at least one other person has said that their OB did the same. You might be surprised.

Anyway. So while I readily believe that an OB would do unnecessary and stupid vaginal exams, I do wonder how he managed to rupture her water at 26 weeks. I'm still puzzling that one out. I'm not at all saying I don't believe the OP or hope for the best for her friend, but I am very, very curious as to how it could have happened.

As someone who's water broke at 19 weeks, and went on to deliver a healthy baby at 34 weeks, I wonder what more there is to the story. There are soooooo many variables in a situation like this, few of which would involve malpractice. For example, I wonder why an internal exam would rupture her membranes, if they weren't already weakened and likely to break on there own. Many things will cause PPROM/PROM (Preterm/Premature Rupture of Membranes), including an infection in the mother, which would require an early birth for both her health and the baby's.

It's definitely creepy that you had a similar problem with that doc, and I agree she needs to know exactly what happened and why. I'm just thinking that there is probably more to it than "the doctor accidentally broke her membranes."

:grouphug: to you for being a concerned friend and neighbor. I think the advice you've been given about meals and helping with the other kids is spot on. I spent six months on bedrest last year, and those are the types of things that were really helpful to me both before and after I gave birth.

It is common practice to have internal exam at each visit. All our OB-GYNs did this (4 practices--12 drs total). I thought it was standard procedure everywhere.

I didn't have them before 36 weeks with two of my kids. I was told they shouldn't be done prior to 36 weeks during a normal pregnancy because there is a risk of unintentionally inducing labor. With my middle dd, I had several beginning at 30 weeks to check for dilation because I was having contractions pretty much all the time, even while on turbutilene (sp?). I thought waiting until 36 weeks was standard procedure everywhere. :001_smile:

Are they staying at the hospital? If they are offer to take care of things around the house: watering/mowing lawn, getting mail, etc.

If they are staying home and traveling back and forth, then the obvious things like watching kids and driving for them, but they may still need some cleaning, mowing, etc done. Speaking from experience, sometimes those things didn't happen while DS was in the hospital.

My water broke at 22 weeks, 5 days, and they told me I had to deliver within 48 hours--they induced labor, anytime after that is too dangerous. My baby lived for a few minutes, her lungs were not developed enough for her to make it.

For my second dd, who did survive, I was in bed from the 6th week on, had a double cerclage (where they sew your cervix shut) at 14 weeks, and, from the 5th week on, had an internal exam with an internal ultrasound, where they put a rather large device into your vagina and have to maneuver it to see the baby. I never had a problem, no worry about membranes, nothing. Granted, after the 14th week my cervix was sewn shut, but it never seemed a bit of a prob--doctors know what they are doing, and for a doctor to "accidentally" break membranes seems pretty impossible to me, especially if he is experienced.

I read a book, years ago, a mystery about a doctor who had something like Munchausen by proxy syndrome, but it was a doctor who made patients sick, to do a dramatic save; this sounds creepily like that to me.

If you get in touch with the medical board, there might be recorded cases; but many, like you, might not have reported it. A nurse might know, but, then, they might be on his side.

The first thing I would do is get this woman someone outside the hosp who can translate, if that hasn't already been done, and have them find a good malpractice attorney (my father was killed by blatant medical negligence; a nothing medical problem that would have taken half an hour to take care of, and prejudice--he was Indian--combined with other factors left him alone in a room when he needed a blood transfusion, and he bled to death--a nurse quit her job and came forth with all the details, but, even then, it took 9 years, and the hospital, which had more than 190 million dollars in malpractice charges against them finally offered to settle right before they went bankrupt; my mom got $250,000 and most went to lawyers, who say they get 1/3, PLUS EXPENSES! The point, thought, was to do in the hosp--they reopened three weeks later under a diff name, which is perfectly legal--just to let you know how it is. It is diff with a doctor, but, basically, their malpractice ins goes up, and, if they have enough cases, it can effect their lic in THAT state, but they can always move to another state and start again.). She does need to know her rights.

As far as the baby, with my second child, once I was pregnant with her, they realized I had an incompetent cervix and told me I wouldn't make it past the 7th month, maybe not that far (I made it to almost 35 weeks!), so I prepared for the worst. A baby born this early usually has lung problems, and can have other issues, many of which won't show up for years. The malpractice is important in case there are long term expenses. A friend of a friend had a baby a few years ago that was born at 27 weeks who was in the hosp until just after his first b'day (but she smoked through her pregnancy), and is 6 now, but is like a 3 year old. He will have some cognitive probs the rest of his life. It may be nothing like that, but you can't tell.

As far as what you can do for her--first, ask her or her husband or son, and go with a list of suggestions, in case they can't think straight or don't want to ask. I would offer a care pkg for the mom, toiletries for the hosp (and do let her know, most hosp will let parents stay in maternity rooms very cheap with a baby in the hosp--my daughter was in for a couple of extra days and we had to pay $25 a night for a room--although, since this is an error by the dr, they shouldn't really have to pay), healthy snacks, etc, in case she doesn't want to leave the baby. Doing household chores for the family. I imagine they have plenty of food being brought over, that is what most people do, but people often forget things like toilet paper, paper towels, I think things like paper plates, napkins, even cups and flatware can be useful at a time like this. Plus, something to entertain the 3 yo, to make him feel special in a time when he might feel left out would be nice, and could be very helpful to the fam. I'd also include some healthy snacks for him. Wipes are something I would include, too, for the mom and the little one. They can be helpful in the hosp and at home. For the mom, I would get some hand sanitizer--I'm sure she'll want one of those for a long time (my fave is from Bath & Body--they have hand sanitizing moisturizers--they stay on longer, smell great and won't dry your skin--great for kids, but she may not want that going into the NICU). Also, you may ask if the mom might like a small fleece wrap, you know, the little throws, something to snuggle with in the hosp when it is cold, to wrap up with?

I am so, so sorry for her--I have never recovered from my loss of my first child, and my body betraying me has been a horrible thing to deal with. I am sure this baby will make it, but someone else doing that to her is unbearable for me to think of, and causing the suffering of this child is not something this man should get away with.

If you are thinking of going the malpractice route, you need to get copies of your records while you still can. (Sometimes they have a habit of disappearing.) Your friend may consider doing the same. Since you actually KNOW of someone else this has happened to, if both of you report the incidents to the medical board (and possibly decide litigation is the route to go), it will make your cases stronger.

Medical malpractice cases can be difficult. You have to prove damages (which, may not be difficult, especially in your friend's case), and you will probably have to find an OB in your area who knows the standard (easy) and who will be willing to testify as an expert against your OB (difficult).

I hope all is well with your baby and best of wishes to your friend's little one!

I am wondering if she was already having pre-term labor and was fairly dilated??? I don't have a clue. But I do wonder if there is more to the story.

I agree. Most OB's don't do an internal exam before 36 weeks unless the patient has a complaint, because it is unnecessary and most women find it unpleasant. If the membranes are intact, a digital exam shouldn't raise the risk of infection, and it doesn't increase the risk of preterm labor. Otherwise no one would have sex while they were pregnant. It isn't done because it isn't necessary, not because it is dangerous. Also, even when they deliberately try to rupture membranes, it can be difficult because they are so tough. I think either this woman had some sort of a problem, requiring an exam and causing her membranes to be weak, or the doctor is a total nutjob. I'm guessing there is more to the story.

I didn't have them before 36 weeks with two of my kids. I was told they shouldn't be done prior to 36 weeks during a normal pregnancy because there is a risk of unintentionally inducing labor.

What could possibly be done in a LEGITIMATE internal exam that isn't way less...um...strenuous on the cervix, etc., than sex???? If sex isn't a risk, then neither should an internal exam be.

If you are thinking of going the malpractice route, you need to get copies of your records while you still can. (Sometimes they have a habit of disappearing.) Your friend may consider doing the same. Since you actually KNOW of someone else this has happened to, if both of you report the incidents to the medical board (and possibly decide litigation is the route to go), it will make your cases stronger.

Medical malpractice cases can be difficult. You have to prove damages (which, may not be difficult, especially in your friend's case), and you will probably have to find an OB in your area who knows the standard (easy) and who will be willing to testify as an expert against your OB (difficult).

I hope all is well with your baby and best of wishes to your friend's little one!

We're in that category. DH is permanently disabled because of a doctor's incompetance. It would have cost us huge $$$ to go to court because no lawyer would take the case on contingency, and every one we talked to told us upfront that we had little chance of really getting anything. From what we could tell, the doctor "doctored" the records to cover himself, and even filed modified surgical reports with the hospital after the fact so that the evidence was on his side. Untangling it all would have been a horrific job. We know the truth, but proving it in court would have been another matter.

As horrible as it is, sometimes you just have to move on. :leaving:

My water broke at 22 weeks, 5 days, and they told me I had to deliver within 48 hours--they induced labor, anytime after that is too dangerous. My baby lived for a few minutes, her lungs were not developed enough for her to make it.

Oh, Mom to Aly, I am so sorry for your loss! This nearly happened to my son at 20 weeks gestation (bulging amniotic sac, contractions, "rescue cerclage", bed-rest, premature birth, etc.). I totally understand the fear and sadness you experienced, minus the ultimate grief of loosing your baby. I will never forget the extreme sadness and anxiety of waiting to see if my perfect little boy would be born too soon to live. Thank God that your little girl was spared. (((hug)))

On a practical medical note, were it not for a quick "vag check" and peek with a speculum at 20 weeks, I would have left the Dr.'s office in my car with my child and toddler in tow rather than on a stretcher. Maybe the other poor mom whose membranes were ruptured was experiencing problems? Of course accident/ malpractice is a possibility... just a thought. Either way, my heart goes out to her. :-(

Cindy