Menu

Whatever you do, do not open this thread

fraidycat

:)

And if you do, at least have the decency to out yourself with Ipad app recommendations for my sweet DH. :P

He's deploying and will have almost no access to wifi so we need some good apps to keep him entertained for 7-12 months. Stand alone apps that don't require wifi to play.

ITA w/ loading up on Kindle books and iBooks. Also, he could get the Audible app and get some audio books.

Also, ITA w/ DuoLingo. 

He could come back very well read and knowing a new language. ;)

Thank him for his service.   :patriot:  And thanks to you and the kids!

There will probably be a shared drive on the ship (or at least so many sailors with external hard drives) that he can probably watch whatever show/movie he wants to and download any music and books too.  My husband also got access to Rosetta Stone.  And those monthly port visits (more or less) are plenty frequent to update or get new downloads from wifi.  For the shared drive/external hard drive stuff your husband might want to have a laptop too.  We are almost 5 months down for our deployment.

There are a lot of board game apps that are really fun and can be played alone or with other people (by passing the iPad around). Monopoly, Life, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Blokus, and Phase 10 are all games that we've played and liked. Here is a list of other strategy board games that have been turned into apps that look good.

ETA: San Juan is another one that looks promising. I think this will be our next one to try.

Also, the maker of Alchemic Phone has a hefty logic game that would last a long time, as it's the kind of thing you could come back to over and over in short spurts.

I had a lot of fun with Chocolate Fix, and its creator has some other logic games too. (I like logic games, lol.)

Oh! Syberia is available for the iPad, if he likes games in the Myst realm. Actually, I see that Myst and Riven are available for the iPad as well.

My husband liked Monument Valley.

I opened the thread and I am not ashamed. :D

Aren't we such rebels???? ;)

I agree 150% with the Kindle app thing if he's a reader.  James Bond is not a reader, so he'd look at me like "Um, what?"

Sudoku is a HUGE hit for us.  It's amazing how long you can play that game, and it's not a mindless activity.  I'm also a huge fan of Mahjong.  I can play that for hours.  Actually, the game has a setting that tells how many hours you've spent on the game, and it's embarrassing.  Oops.

The Angry Birds games (we have them ALL) are good for loads of fun.  James Bond likes the drawing and sculpting apps from Autodesk Inc.  

I'm going to have to look up some of the apps listed.  Because clearly I need to spend more time on my electronic devices.

You need to play the Sherlock: The Network app if you haven't already. :)

Damn, I am clearly off my game (no pun intended), because I did NOT know about this!

I downloaded Risk the other night and find conquering the world immensely satisfying.  Until my real life plans come to fruition, I'll have to be content with taking over a virtual world.  ;)

Okay, off to check out the Sherlock app.