Menu

Crowd sourcing a diagnosis... Calling Dr. Hive!

mommymonster

We are on vacation to coastal Washington. DS8 got a bite from something and seems to be having a bit of a reaction from it. It happened yesterday, there was no definite ring around the bite, but it was about an inch in diameter. Today it is four-plus inches in diameter, and there's a raised bit in the middle. He seems fine, but I'm all freaked out. Logically, I'm thinking it's a spider bite, but we were playing in thigh-high grasses and on the beach and everywhere else...

[i know I'm not being logical about this, so please someone tell me to calm down, please? :blush: ]

post-38035-0-63794700-1405117168_thumb.jpg

post-38035-0-63794700-1405117168_thumb.jpg

Does it feel warm to the touch? I would definitely circle it and watch for swelling or growth.

A dose of Benadryl may resolve a mosquito bite, but if it is cellulitis the antihistamine probably won't do anything (and may thus help you decide if something more is needed). One of my children responds that way to mosquito bites, so it could definitely just be that.

IME, my case of cellulitis was neither painful nor itchy, it was just an obvious red, warm and swollen spot that grew rather quickly. I just say that because absence of discomfort might not mean there's no infection. Be sure to check it every few hours and definitely first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts. We were vacationing in a pretty remote area. I couldn't find a local urgent care place, so we packed up and headed home. At least if we're at home, we have access to medical care. I gave him Benadryl and marked the area. There's no streaking at all, so that's something. If it hasn't gotten smaller by morning, we're going in. 

It could be any insect. Dd reacts like that to pretty much all of them. Spot gets feverish, swells, inflamed. Draw around the inflammation with a pen. If it continues to increase outside the penmark, take him in. If it doesn't, just give it time. It can take over a week for dd's to resolve themselves. If it develops a weepy center, take him in. No need to restrict his activities. 

That looks like what happens to me when a black fly gets me. I got a bite the other day on my neck and the whole side of my neck swelled up like I had half a peach attached to it. The swelling did go down after 48 hrs though, so if DS's doesn't, I'd get him to the clinic. I used Sssssting stop which helped a lot and then benedryl before bed. Hope he feels better