Menu

The Christian Mother Goose Book of Nursery Rhymes

I think it's kind of dumb. I have been noticing that an awful lot of indoctrination is squeezed into materials where there is no need for it. Science books, math books, history books, writing curriculum, now nursery rhymes? Can't anything just be what it is? 

I hope this isn't offensive. I'm not just referring to Christian materials specifically, but political and other viewpoints as well. It feels strange, manipulative, controlling, and fearful to have these unnecessary messages tucked away in places they don't need to be.

My kids actually really like it. I am not a big fan of nursery rhymes either way, but I think it is cute when my 9 year old reads it to my 4 year old. It definitely has a strong slant biblically, but I don't recall anything offensive, just not a regular mother goose book :)

This concept has been around for eons; I was given a '60s era copy when my dc were small, and I've stumbled across vintage versions.

I think they are always horrible for three reasons:

1. Poor Quality -- the poetry is abysmal and the pictures are dreadfully somber

2. Forced Christianese -- restating everything with culturally current Christianese lingo is a bad habit; shouldn't be modeled for children

3. Snobbery -- can anyone truly make the case that the original (well, you know) Mother Goose rhymes were not Christian? No. Some are Not Nice, but they ALL come from eras and civilizations that are overwhelmingly Christian.

I think Mother Goose rhymes are important parts of Western Culture. Something is lost when kids don't get the references in literature because of non-exposure. Of course, having googled "allusions to nursery rhymes in literature" I can't get any examples!

I do see them in political cartoons, though, oddly enough.

So while the parodies might be fun or interesting, I do think kids need the real thing, even if it's later. Same with bible stories (and there's a ton of literature with allusions to biblical stories, of course).

I think Mother Goose rhymes are important parts of Western Culture. Something is lost when kids don't get the references in literature because of non-exposure. Of course, having googled "allusions to nursery rhymes in literature" I can't get any examples!

I do see them in political cartoons, though, oddly enough.

So while the parodies might be fun or interesting, I do think kids need the real thing, even if it's later. Same with bible stories (and there's a ton of literature with allusions to biblical stories, of course).

I was thinking after I posted, the bible is FULL of stories. Good ones! Why not just read those, and leave Mother Goose alone? Why change it into something it's not? Same with the gentle retellings. Not all rhymes are dark and scary. If your child is too sensitive for the creepy ones stick to the lighter ones, or put them off till later. But teach them corrupted versions.

Same with fairy tales and classics. My parents bought us abridged classics, I think by mistake. Little Women ended before Beth was ill. I felt so cheated when I found out I missed half the book!

That thing has been around a LONG time. I was given a copy of it almost 20 years ago at a baby shower gift when I was pregnant with my first baby.

As a lover of literature, I disliked it because I prefer the older more original translations of such things. In all their gory details! I think I gave it away. :)

Seriously, why does EVERYTHING have to come in Christian versions? I don't actually feel strongly against Christian math curricula or Christian fairy tales. Whatever floats your boat, is fine by me. But I am genuinely curious as to WHY? As Mr. Ham says "There's this Book..." and it's chock-full of really good Christian stories and information...

We've got it. Some are really cool. Others are hokey.

WE don't read it anymore. If you are interested I'll send it to you

(though. Ours has a different cover. )

We've got it. Some are really cool. Others are hokey.

WE don't read it anymore. If you are interested I'll send it to you

(though. Ours has a different cover. )

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks! :)

My gut reacts negatively to this book. That doesn't mean I think my reaction is correct or that the book it wrong. I just know that it makes me uncomfortable, so I'm exploring that emotion a bit without judgement.

Thank you all for your responses. I just needed to sit amongst others reacting to the book. Maybe that's weird, but…when I have a strong reaction, I don't like doing it alone. I just want company.

Seems pretty silly to me. Why change something that has historical and cultural value into something contrived? It seems to lose all it's original meaning - certainly this example does:

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a big fall.

Humpty Dumpty shouted, "Ahem! God can put me together again."