Menu

WWYD? Donation Dilemma

OH_Homeschooler

Hello! I will be attending a 50th anniversary party for an older relative soon. It looks like a pretty big deal--the invitation is for a vow renewal ceremony followed by dinner at a steakhouse. The event has been planned by the couple's children. On the invitation, there is the following statement: "Your precious time is your gift. However, if you feel you must, please make a donation to [nonprofit org name]."

So the dilemma is this: I do not support the organization due to its stance on social issues. I feel I would be going against my belief system to make a donation. There are no alternatives listed. I know why they selected this organization...one of the hosts happens to be a leader in it.

I do want to honor the couple in some way, but not that way. So, what would you do in this situation? Just make the donation? Take them at their word and not feel obligated to give?

Help! 

I would not go against my conscience as a gift. I would do one of two things:

(1) If I knew of another charitable organization that they support and that I could support in good faith, I would give a donation to that organization in the couple's name. No explanation is necessary unless the couple requests it.

(2) If I did not know of such an organization, or if I did not want to give, or if for some reason it was difficult to do so, I would take them at their word that it's perfectly acceptable not to.

I would bring a gift, but it would be more personal than expensive.  Maybe a family photograph in a gold frame (since it's their golden wedding anniversary).  I would not donate but I also would not comment about why I didn't.

This is what I would do.  My parents recently celebrated their 50th, and they sooooo appreciated gifts of this nature (poignant or funny photos in a nice frame, handmade items with their names or wedding dates worked in, etc.).

I certainly wouldn't make a donation that cut against my own conscience; and I also wouldn't donate to another organization in their name -- that would strike me as Making A Point that had nothing to do with honoring and celebrating the couple.

Wow, so many responses so quickly! Thanks, everyone! There's such a strong need for reciprocity I guess. I'll look for a way to pay it forward some day. 

I would take them at their word and not worry about it, but I understand your feelings. I think paying it forward is a great idea.

I certainly wouldn't make a donation that cut against my own conscience; and I also wouldn't donate to another organization in their name -- that would strike me as Making A Point that had nothing to do with honoring and celebrating the couple.

Yeah, don't do that. We once participated in the Walk to Cure Diabetes through JDRF with our daughter who has type 1. Some family friends of ours didn't agree with the way JDRF uses stem cells for research, so they donated to a different research hospital instead. I was grateful for the donation, but at the same time it felt kind of weird and a tiny but judgy. I wouldn't have cared if they didn't donate at all. Express some personal sentiments in a card and call it good.

Oh right, I wouldn't do that to make a point. Possibly I'd donate to another organization I knew they also supported, but never one whose mission is explicitly against the one they're requesting donations for.