Menu

Help! It's my turn to pick the book club book and I am out of ideas

Melinda in VT

My book club meets on Saturday, and it's my turn to pick the next book. I have lots of books on my own personal TBR pile, but none of them seem right for this.

I need a book that will appeal to men and women and meets the following criteria:

• Can't be a self-help book
  • Must have fewer than 400 pages
  • Can't be a book I have read before

Bonus points if it meets any of the following criteria:

• The setting lends itself to interesting food
  • The book won an award (this really matters to a couple of our members)
  • It's set in Ireland (we're heading there next month, and I'd love to combine my trip reading and my book club reading)

Personally, I like books with plots that also have interesting ideas to discuss. My favorite book ever is The Sparrow (but since I've read it already, I can't pick it).

Any suggestions?

How about Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight:  An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller.  It fits almost all of your categories, but obviously takes place in Africa instead of Ireland (although the family is English and originally from Scotland...if that counts  :) ). 

It's a fascinating story about the author, the daughter of white settlers in 1970s war-torn Rhodesia.  (Amazon's description.)

Not sure about the length but maybe Angela's Ashes or The Gold Finch?

The Goldfinch is 775 pages. (It's on my personal TBR list though.)

I've read Angela's Ashes. PSA when buying a book for a mom with newborn twins so she will have something to read while nursing for hours and hours, don't pick this one. Poor DH. He was trying to be nice and ended up with a wife who was a sobbing hormonal mess.

Thanks for the suggestions though. :-)

Something fun (perhaps a little more light-hearted since it's summer) is Cooking with Fernet Branca by James Hamilton-Paterson. It's smart & funny & was nominated for a Man-Booker prize in 2004. It's a send-up of the wish-you-were-here travel memoirs & foodie novels out there, told with a dry, British wit & some revolting recipes. Parts were laugh-out-loud funny.

Something you may not have read yet: Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco. (It was winner of the Man-Asia award in 2008.) You could eat Philippine food for the meeting. Fabulous book.

Right now, I'm reading The Hundred Foot Journey by Richard C Morais.  It's less than 400 pages and definitely lends itself to interesting food. I'm just starting it, so can't give an in depth review, but so far, I'm enjoying it. It's being made into a movie.

Cashelmara by Susan Howatch. One of my favorite books of all time. Set in Ireland, covers 3 generations, loosely based on historical figures. It's a bit longer than you wanted I think, but it is so captivating. I think I need to read it again now. :)

I just finished the Silk Road by Colin Falconer.  I borrowed it for my Kindle on a whim when I needed a book for a trip and found I really liked it.  It is set in 13th Century middle east and far east.  Probably the only criteria it meets is that it is under 500 pages, but it is a book that might lead to interesting discussions of history, politics, religion, and culture.  It does have a somewhat negative portrayal of the Catholic Church at that time (or at least certain factions,) but from what I have read elsewhere, it is not an untruthful portrayal. 

Reading Lolita in Tehran! It's 347 pages. It's ABOUT a clandestine book club. You can eat Persian food and forbidden ham sandwiches. Maybe not a tourist destination, but it is somewhere different. The best part is that once you e read this book you'll want to read all of the books that were read and discussed. It's not a serious piece of difficult literature, so your less serious readers will have no trouble getting through it. It was a NYT best seller for a while. It might have won't something. I didn't check.

Not Irish and it is old but there is always "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" . It has recipes in the back!! I love a book that has recipes, I am just a sucker for those.

I found another one with recipes recently but I can't for the life of me remember what it was....

Sunset Song by Gibbon  http://www.amazon.com/Sunset-Song-Lewis-Grassic-Gibbon/dp/1904598668

Not Ireland, but Scotland, so close. :001_smile:  It is short (260 pages), "widely regarded as one of the most important Scottish novels of the 20th century", and as far as I am concerned loved by everyone who reads it.  Discussion topics are incredibly broad including the psychological effects of war, modernization of rural communities, and women's rights.

My dh studied abroad in Scotland for a term when he was in university and took a Literature class.  He read this book and loved it.  He suggested it to me about 20 years ago, and I read it and loved it.  I don't remember much of what I read, but boy oh boy do I still remember this one. It is amazing.

You can make haggis if you are brave.

Ruth in NZ