Menu

Do you like having a dog?

acsnmama

Sometimes the board mirrors my real life in a scary way!

I have a lab.  She is about 4 now and a lovely animal.  She is sweet and beautiful and just wants love.

She was NOT always like that.  She is lucky she is still with us, because from puppy stage until about 3 she was a total terror.  Aggressive, sharp teeth, difficult.  I remember being cornered in my own kitchen once when she was about 1 and being really scared.

This week I had a visit from a neighbor that has a lab puppy.  The woman was totally depressed.  Thought something was wrong with the dog...because it was acting like a typical lab pup!  I shared my story and I think she felt better that she was not alone and nothing was wrong with the dog...I don't think she expected to hear that this behavior lasts a few years.

Maybe partly it's a lab issue for me?  After reading these stories, I'm thinking that's part of it!  We had dogs growing up that I totally loved.  None were labs, though.  It wasn't until this dog that I realized there will be no more dogs in my future as far as I will plan.  When she was a puppy, we lived in NC and when I was pg, she would break outside (serious escaper!) and run for MILES in the heat, dodging cars.  We lived by a golf course, but I would be running for hours a day after this stupid dog trying to die playing chicken with cars and hiding in woods.  My kids would stand aside screaming and crying that their dog was going to die.  It was horrible.  Just horrible.  I mean, I walked/jogged her like 5 miles a day.  She wasn't underexercised.  It seriously burned me about dogs.  We always had easily trained dogs that would walk with you even without a leash.  This dog is 8 and still will bolt.  When I hear someone talk about getting a lab, I can't help but laugh hysterically and warn them that they're a handful.

Maybe partly it's a lab issue for me?  After reading these stories, I'm thinking that's part of it!  We had dogs growing up that I totally loved.  None were labs, though.  It wasn't until this dog that I realized there will be no more dogs in my future as far as I will plan.  When she was a puppy, we lived in NC and when I was pg, she would break outside (serious escaper!) and run for MILES in the heat, dodging cars.  We lived by a golf course, but I would be running for hours a day after this stupid dog trying to die playing chicken with cars and hiding in woods.  My kids would stand aside screaming and crying that their dog was going to die.  It was horrible.  Just horrible.  I mean, I walked/jogged her like 5 miles a day.  She wasn't underexercised.  It seriously burned me about dogs.  We always had easily trained dogs that would walk with you even without a leash.  This dog is 8 and still will bolt.  When I hear someone talk about getting a lab, I can't help but laugh hysterically and warn them that they're a handful.

Might be a lab issue.  They are the MOST adorable puppies (like up to three months) and then they can turn into the most terrible teenagers!  There are at least 6 labs in my neighborhood and every one has gone through a very crazy stage.  They wind up mellow at the other end of it, but BOY those years were hard!

I cannot imagine not having dogs.  We absolutely love our dogs and treat them better than some people treat their children.  ;)  We like having 2 dogs, because they keep each other company.  I always had dogs growing up, and knew I would have them when I was on my own.  James Bond never had dogs, and could not wrap his mind around having one.  Of course I convinced him, and we got a puppy just before our first anniversary.  He fell in love with her.  She loved him, but she was clearly my dog.  She never left my  side, and I had to lock her out of the bathroom when I took a shower, because she would hop in with me.  It was great that she liked having a bath and I never had to fight her to get her to take a bath, but drying her off every day was a PITA.  We had her from the time she was 8 weeks old until she died at the age of 14.  We were completely devastated.  It's been 4 years this month that she died, and there are days when I still cry over her if I think about her too much.  She was the best dog.  She was house broken within a week and crazy smart.  She was also funny.  She was half pug and half shihtzu, and while many people didn't think she was beautiful, to me, she was absolutely gorgeous.  She gave unconditional love and never expected anything in return other than a treat every now and then and a cuddle.  She slept with us, and was always pressed against me.  When I was pregnant with Indy, she never let me get more than 3 steps away and she became very protective.  She loved Indy and "mothered" him.  When he would take a nap, and start crying, she would run between his bed and me until I got to him.  Indy loved her.

As upset as we were over her passing though, it was nothing compared to how our other dog took it.  He's a Pekingese that we got 2 years after her (he was a puppy), and he had never been without her.  He mourned and mourned.  We were afraid he was going to mourn himself to death.  He wouldn't eat for weeks.  We had to hand feed him, and I was practically begging him to eat.  He slowly got back to normal, but it took a long time.  We kept her collar ad have it hanging from a framed photo of her.  Any time I moved the photo frame to dust, he'd come running, because he could hear the tags on her collar clinking.  It was so sad.  After he realized she wasn't there, he go lay back in his bed and just stare at me with the saddest eyes.  Even now, four years later, he'll perk up when I move her collar.  He's almost 14 now, and can barely see or hear, but he still knows the sound of her collar.  He has never been the brightest bulb in the pack (seriously, he's as dumb as she was smart), but he is gorgeous and so very lovable.  He used to sleep with us too, but he's started having trouble holding his bowels at night (the vet says it's his age), so he had to move to the floor.  He cried and cried the first few nights, and I cried right along with him, but he doesn't even care any more.

We got a Yorkie puppy this past Oct, and she is insane.  I forgot how much work a puppy is.  Good grief.  She's exhausting.  She's freaking adorable and so lovable, but I can't wait for her to get out of the puppy phase.  She's 5 pounds of energy and excitement.  Having her and a toddler at the same time is overwhelming.  Han Solo loves her though.  They chase each other through the house all the time and he laughs so hard.  I have to watch her though, as she nips at him.  She's not doing it to hurt him, she's just playing, but her little teeth are razor sharp.  She's still in that teething stage too, so she wants to chew everything.  She is mostly house broken, but every now and then she has accidents, which are frustrating for me.  She loves everyone in the family, but she's quickly becoming MY dog.  In fact, she's sitting on the back of the sofa with her head on my shoulder as I type.

On the days when we have to take them to the groomer, when we get home without them, the house just feels empty.  There are days when I don't like the responsibility, the cost or the stress of finding someone to take care of them when we're gone, but that is nothing compared to what they give us.  I can walk outside for 5 minutes, and when I come back in, they are just as happy to see me as they are when I'm gone for hours.  

I also think dogs have good instincts.  If they don't like someone, there's usually a reason.  They can sense when you're not feeling well, and are willing to give you extra love.  Seriously, I can't imagine not having dogs.  It wouldn't feel like a home without a dog.

I am not a dog person. I love my dog. A mini poodle easy to train and all she wants to do is please me. She is my dog. Everyone who meets her says she is the sweetest dog. I think they are right. We have a fence a doggie door and no shedding. She travels well and my parents adore her and welcome her if we cannot take her with us. Do not feel guilty about your situation.

I love having a dog. Love the responsibility too (although she is little and well trained, so not much maintenance s necessary).

What I hate is house plants. In theory they are lovely, but I hate having another living thing dependent on me. So, I truly understand what you are saying

The year that I had a new baby, very active 2 year old and five year old under the roof is the year my husband gave me a basket of indoor plants for Mother's Day. I couldn't believe that he gave me another thing to take care of.

I like plants, but I couldn't wait until they died.

Might be a lab issue.  They are the MOST adorable puppies (like up to three months) and then they can turn into the most terrible teenagers!  There are at least 6 labs in my neighborhood and every one has gone through a very crazy stage.  They wind up mellow at the other end of it, but BOY those years were hard!

Most labs that I've been acquainted with have spent a long time in the teenager stage.

I think most people on this borad know how I feel about owning a dog:)  I love having a dog. She is my stress relief. Sure it is work and expense. After the initial training out of puppy stage it is not so bad.   I like having something that thinks I'm the best thing ever. I love watching her funny antics. It's nice to get so much attention when I go out walking. Even if it is Willow and not me that people are attracted to. 

I love dogs, but I don't like puppies. I've never had a puppy- seeing other peoples was enough for me! I grew up with a black lab who was the queen of dogs, she followed me for miles through the woods and around town on my bike, slept in my bed, just a wonderful childhood dog. So, we got a black lab, but NOT a puppy. I waited and checked the pound and shelters twice a week and when the perfect dog came in, Cleo came home. It took only a month from "hey, youngest is 2 now, let's get a dog" to having her home. She was 2, still a bit crazy, not housebroken (never been in a house I think, we had to drag her in and I think she had been trained not to) but it took a day or so to house train her. Adult dogs are so much easier! And like most of her lab kin, she is calm, sweet, loves to swim and hike- the perfect family dog.

She just turned 13, and it's really sad to know that any day now we may have to say goodbye to our Cleo. I imagine we will start hitting the shelters the same day, looking for another black lab. Due to their difficult teenage years, shelters are full of them at age 1-2...the perfect age to get a lab!

We have 2 and truthfully after 4 kids and upteen stray kids that are in and out here I am burnt out!!! I don't really like having them and I really mind the responsibility lately. Maybe it is a phase I don't know but neither of these dogs are what I would have wanted. The first is a little mutt my daughter had to have by someone giving them away on the roadside. She has had nim since she was 9 and she is 17 now. The other is a found in the pouring rain on the side of the highway dog that I felt bad for. Turns out she had suffered some massive abuse I thought she had skin problems so I took her to the vet she had cigarette burns all over her little self. They are both small dogs I grew up with big dogs mainly rots and to me that is a dog!!!

We have six (6) dogs. They all live outside in the yard. Two (2) are Medium size and four (4) are very tiny (Toy Pinchers).  We do not want any more tiny dogs, but I cannot imagine not having dogs. First, because of the protection they provide to us. Second, because dogs are "mans best friend". It is well documented that people who have pets have better health.  I wrote this, after working outside in the yard with the "pooper scooper", before Breakfast this morning. I am the one tasked with that job. I am the one who provides their food and fresh clean water. I just did that task also...

We've had dogs for much of our married life, but I did NOT want a dog when I had a toddler and an infant. We adopted a young collie, and she needed more than I was able to give her. We found another home for her after a couple of months.

Having a young dog, especially a *large* young dog, is just like having an infant. With as many young children as you have, I am not surprised that you're not feeling the puppy love. Perhaps Mr. Acsnmama might reconsider waiting until your children are much older to put that responsibility in your lap.

I like having our dog, but I don't like that I'm responsible for 90% of his care. Luckily he's low maintenance, but I'd like for someone else to vacuum the hair without being asked or secure the dog sitter of we go somewhere.

I do believe he is a real deterrent for anyone thinking about breaking into our house. I also like that if anyone is home alone, they're not really alone. He's worth the effort, I just want other people to make that effort. If I had to walk him rather than just open the back door, I'd be truly bitter.

We didn't get our dog until the youngest was 6. Ops situation really seems like overkill to me.

I love having dogs!!!

DH takes care of the scooping poop (every morning)

and feeding (every morning).  We both give water when

it runs out.  

My dogs are the sweetest things and I really love them.

They are better than any person.  They make my life

good.

:)

(Of course, I love DS more--but he's not always the sweetest thing.)

:leaving:

Thanks for the stories everyone!

He was 5 or 6 weeks when we adopted him in January. I trained him like crazy, and yes, most of the responsibility was on me. We took him to puppy classes around 3 months old, and he did great overall, he knew nearly everything already, but helped socialize him. He was neutered at nearly 5 months old. For about 2 weeks before that he was being mean to ME. When I would correct him, he would throw a fit, literally. Barking and snapping at me, plus nipping at my kids heels or chasing them chewing on their shoes. He was being a complete brat. I started really disliking him at that time. He was neutered and within a week he quit acting that way. It's like night and day!! I'm still thinking about taking him to another round of classes though (next level up).

The problem is, it's hot here, 90-100 and humid! I don't feel like walking him, especially with the kids, my youngest doesn't last long before he wants to be carried! My kids do feed him (my 3 yr old always gives him bonus food, lol), my oldest cleans up poop, and they take turns letting him out during the day. However, it's the playing with him and walks. The kids think he's so cute, but until recently, we had to beg them to play with him.

I don't like having people over because he mauls them with kisses and follows them everywhere. He jumps on them too, but he never jumps on us, so getting him to quit jumping on others has been really hard as he doesn't do it often enough to get a clue on his correction. He's over 50 lbs now, so he needs to stop! Thankfully he's not a barker because he does bark, he sounds more like a 100+ pound dog!

DH hasn't been walking him as often because he has had knee troubles that have been flaring up in the last 2 months, he's waiting on getting surgery scheduled, in the mean time, he may only get 1 walk (in a day) and sometimes skip walking a day or 2 entirely. We try to get him some extra play time chasing balls and frisbees in the back yard.

It is not ok that he mauls visitors with kisses and follows them everywhere, definitely NOT ok that he jumps on them. I wonder if it would help to put a leash on him when someone comes to the door and to keep him close to you until he settles down.

I'm thinking it would be *very* important for you to work with a professional trainer. I'm sure it would be a drain on your budget, but it isn't fair to you or to him for him to behave as he does.

We waited until our boys were 8 and our DD was 9 when we got our German Shepherd.  I didn't want any pets before then because it was just so much work having little ones and I didn't want to worry about anyone getting hurt.  Waiting until they were old enough to understand how to treat a dog was much better for us.  Now, I can't imagine not having him because he is such an important part of our family and goes almost everywhere with us.