Menu

ack, why do I have so much JUNK?

DawnM

Middle son moved in to our guest room about a year ago and has been trying to get me to get MY stuff out of there.  

In the meantime, I told him to just bring stuff to the living room and I would take care of it.

There is WAY TOO MUCH!  My living room is over-run with so much stuff and no where to put it.

I need to go through it, I can't just dump it all.....there are some keepsakes in there.

But I currently have NO PLACE for my sewing materials/supplies.  The guest room houses it.  I have no idea what to do with it.

ARGH!!!!!!

I feel your pain.  We are currently going through my Mom's house getting ready to sell it.  Last year was my mother-in-laws and the year before my grandmothers.  How in the world did I end up with so much stuff/junk!! I can hardly walk through the basement and like you I had to clean out a room as my mom now visits a lot more since my dad passed away last year.  Throw in homeschooling two high schoolers who don't drive themselves yet and there is no time to do anything but continue to help Mom clean out her house. I know this to will pass but I feel like I am overwhelmed with stuff!

Under bed boxes are great!! Box it all, except for a few keepsakes, put it in what I call "junk purgatory" and if you don't miss it in six months, toss. Preaching to myself here....  Two years after homeschooling finished, and I still have way too much. Resident pack rats are making thinning out stuff impossible!!!

Someday when I'm rich I'll have several closets in my hallway, one of which will be a sewing closet. Anything I need to use can be brought out and then put away. Perhaps an attractive wardrobe or dresser at the end of a hallway, or any dead space, could serve in the same way?

Our beds have no space for boxes anymore.

Oldest decided he didn't want a frame, so his box spring and mattress are directly on the floor.  Middle son has one of those hospital type beds for home use, so underneath is the mechanics.  Our bed in our master is similar, raises and lowers, no space underneath.  Youngest has a daybed with a mattress underneath for guests.

Dawn

Under bed boxes are great!! Box it all, except for a few keepsakes, put it in what I call "junk purgatory" and if you don't miss it in six months, toss. Preaching to myself here....  Two years after homeschooling finished, and I still have way too much. Resident pack rats are making thinning out stuff impossible!!!

Our house is odd, no hallways.

We do have a basement, but it is 2 floors down from the sewing machine.

What I NEED is for DH to give me a section of the basement for sewing.  However, he designed it specifically for him.......an office area, a TV area, a gym area and a rec area.

There is a storage room, but again, it is 2 floors down.

Dawn

Someday when I'm rich I'll have several closets in my hallway, one of which will be a sewing closet. Anything I need to use can be brought out and then put away. Perhaps an attractive wardrobe or dresser at the end of a hallway, or any dead space, could serve in the same way?

We are almost down to that step, that is the problem.  We filled our garage bins and have 5 bags to take to Goodwill.

Most of the rest we need to figure out what to do with.

Of course, this is just from 2 sons' rooms.   There is much more to go, but I am only focusing on what the boys have brought down at this point.

Go through it quickly and toss most of it. Nobody needs junk.  ;)

When you're left with sewing supplies, keepsakes, and what you really need, then worry about storage.  :)

He can't give you a corner of a room for sewing? That's what I'd be asking. Go through the stuff and quickly toss or donate as much as you can. Then set up a small sewing area.

Our house is odd, no hallways.

We do have a basement, but it is 2 floors down from the sewing machine.

What I NEED is for DH to give me a section of the basement for sewing. However, he designed it specifically for him.......an office area, a TV area, a gym area and a rec area.

There is a storage room, but again, it is 2 floors down.

Dawn

What I NEED is for DH to give me a section of the basement for sewing. However, he designed it specifically for him.......an office area, a TV area, a gym area and a rec area.

Get the kids to take your dh out for the day and when he gets home, you can bring him down to the basement and surprise him with a brand new..... Mom Cave.

You know, as a little Father's Day surprise. ;)

I feel your pain. I used to have a sewing room with a closet and a mini-office in the kitchen.  Now I have a half-the-size room that is my office AND sewing room and no closet.  All the stuff had to go into bins on bookshelves and I feel shoehorned in here.  Oh.  I also have the router and the server and all THAT stuff in my office too.  Gah.  I really can't sew because the DESK is in the way, perpendicular.  I think I am going to take the desk out and put it in the living room (where my dh currently has his two telescopes set up so it's not like it's useful anyway.  Then maybe I can sew.  Oh, wait, first I'll have to get the stuff out from under the sewing table.  Sigh.  

I have gotten rid of tonnnnnnns of stuff...but there is more to go.  Most of my issue is that I have a few hobbies that I dabble in...and each takes up a certain amount of storage.  Sigh.  

Just moaning with you!  And by the way, we did have a shared mom/man cave for a long time, and i loved it.  I actually felt a little lonely in my sewing room.  

In all honesty, I would prefer to have the sewing room upstairs rather than the basement.  I really need to find a spot.  

I even though of getting the walk in attic fixed up into a small craft area but that would require some a/c venting and drywalling, etc......

In all honesty, I would prefer to have the sewing room upstairs rather than the basement.  I really need to find a spot.  

I even though of getting the walk in attic fixed up into a small craft area but that would require some a/c venting and drywalling, etc......

Our basement was a daylight basement.  That made a big difference.  :0)

The houses I grew up in had sewing cupboards. They had a shelf for the sewing machine with storage on boths sides underneath and above and had a power point and a light. You took a chair over, did your sewing then shut the cupboard. I have the same set up for my home office.

Buy one large dresser and keep only the sewing stuff that will fit into it. Put the dresser in the living room and put a beautiful vase of flowers on top.  Get rid of the rest (of if you are desperate, put a couple of boxes of the less loved stuff in the basement).

As for keepsakes, decide on a quantity in cubic meters that you will keep.  Are we talking 1 box, 2 boxes, what?  Then pick and fill the box(es).  Anything that does not fit in goes.  It will help you identify what is actually a keepsake and what is not.

Ruth in NZ (who moved to NZ 18 years ago with only 3 cubic meters to her name.  I sold or gave away the rest).