Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW24

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts!  Today is the start of week 24 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Armchair Traveling through the 17th Century:  The seventeenth Century, which ran from 1601 to 1700,  was the early modern period in Europe and dominated by the scientific revolution, the beginning of the Baroque period, and the Pilgrims sailed the Mayflower to colonize America. 

In 17th century France, we had the birth of the literary academy for the purpose of literary criticism and analytical debate.  By mid 1600, Literary salons flourished, started by Madame de Rambouillet and her rival, Madeleine de ScudĂƒÂ©ry,  for the purposes of discussing literature and amusing and intellectual  conversation.  The salons flourished during the 17th and 18th century as the women of that period used the salons to pursue their own education, hear the works and ideas of other intellectuals as well as read their own works.

Literature wise, authors born and buried during that period of time including John Bunyan who wrote Pilgrim's Progress, Daniel Defoe introduced Robinson Crusoe, John Milton brought us Paradise Lost and William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes both passed away in 1616.

Currently in my backpack is The Devlin Diary by Christi Phillips, The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch as well as Shinju by Laura Joh Rowland.  

Be sure to check out Historical Novels which has a huge list of Novels of the 17th Century as well as  Goodreads popular 17th Century reads.  I'm sure I'll be adding a few more books to my want list and tbr pile soon.

Join me in exploring the 17th Century!

History of the Ancient World Readalong:  Chapters 21 and 22

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 23

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I read and enjoyed the contemporary romance Always On My Mind (The Sullivans) by Bella Andre.

"After a tragic loss three years ago, Grayson Tyler leaves his life in New York City behind and starts over in the rolling hills of the California coast. He's convinced himself that all he'll ever need again is the blue sky, a thousand acres of pasture and the crashing waves of the ocean. 

That is, until the day Lori Sullivan barges into his life and promptly blows his emotionless and solitary world to shreds. Her passion and fire drive him crazy, as only a woman nicknamed Naughty can. But will Lori be able to convince him that it's safe to love herĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and that forever isn't actually out of reach?"

Regards,

Kareni

I'm currently splitting my time between Her Sky Cowboy by Beth Ciotta and Something More than Night by Ian Tregellis.

I'm dismally behind on History of the Ancient World and hoping to get caught up this week.

Added to my virtual shelves this week:  David Windgrove's Son of Heaven and Daylight on Iron Mountain, books 1 and 2 in his Chung Kuo series. Thanks to yesterday's Kindle daily deal.  Plus Susan Wigg's The Apple Orchard (#1 in the Bella Vista Chronicles.)   

Another rambly week reading-wise with continued rabbit trails into the fairy realm and back. I finished TDITNE as I mentioned last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I went back and revisited some of my favorite scenes. She's such a wonderful writer that I'm tempted to dip into some more of her work. I read Possession years ago and enjoyed it very much, the story being as wonderful as the writing, but I don't think I've read anything else of hers. She's written a book called Ragnarok which I put onto my 5/5/5 fairytale/myth section but I'm not sure I want to immerse myself in such a grim world view right now. Still, the story sounds compelling and with her wonderful writing it could be a rich read.

Yesterday ds had an event requiring us to be out for several hours at a lovely park. I set myself up with a comfortable chair, my kindle and phone, coffee and chocolate and started Lady of Devices by Shelley Adina as part of the steampunk challenge Robin offered last week. I finished it up this morning. It was a quick read, a page turner and enjoyably fluffy, more plot driven than I usually read but perfect for my park scene. She's written several more books as part of the series and it was lighthearted enough that I may dip into another one when I want something fun and entertaining.

This week I'll be immersing myself in the world of The Firebrand, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. This is part of my 5/5/5 focus on ancient history from a woman's perspective...

"Blending archaeological fact and legend, the myths of the gods and the feats of heroes, Marion Zimmer Bradley breathes new life into the classic tale of the Trojan War-reinventing larger-than-life figures as living people engaged in a desperate struggle that dooms both the victors and the vanquished, their fate seen through the eyes of Kassandra-priestess, princess, and passionate woman with the spirit of a warrior."

Indeed!

And to close, I'm on the next to last chapter of my audio book, The Joyous Body by CPE.

I didn't finish any books last week. I did finish Miss Lonelyhearts in the Nathanael West book that I'm reading that combines Miss L with The Day of the Locust. My first thought was along the lines of Wow. Now I need to read that again. It seemed like there was so much there, and now that I've got the basic story, I'd like to read it a second time and take a closer look at the details. - Probably not this year, though.

I also started on Keeping a Nature Journal ,Martha Ronk's Transfer of Qualities, and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Yesterday I read and enjoyed the contemporary romance Always On My Mind (The Sullivans) by Bella Andre.

"After a tragic loss three years ago, Grayson Tyler leaves his life in New York City behind and starts over in the rolling hills of the California coast. He's convinced himself that all he'll ever need again is the blue sky, a thousand acres of pasture and the crashing waves of the ocean. 

That is, until the day Lori Sullivan barges into his life and promptly blows his emotionless and solitary world to shreds. Her passion and fire drive him crazy, as only a woman nicknamed Naughty can. But will Lori be able to convince him that it's safe to love herĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and that forever isn't actually out of reach?"

Regards,

Kareni

Okay, you sold me. 

Another rambly week reading-wise with continued rabbit trails into the fairy realm and back. I finished TDITNE as I mentioned last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I went back and revisited some of my favorite scenes. She's such a wonderful writer that I'm tempted to dip into some more of her work. I read Possession years ago and enjoyed it very much, the story being as wonderful as the writing, but I don't think I've read anything else of hers. She's written a book called Ragnarok which I put onto my 5/5/5 fairytale/myth section but I'm not sure I want to immerse myself in such a grim world view right now. Still, the story sounds compelling and with her wonderful writing it could be a rich read.

Yesterday ds had an event requiring us to be out for several hours at a lovely park. I set myself up with a comfortable chair, my kindle and phone, coffee and chocolate and started Lady of Devices by Shelley Adina as part of the steampunk challenge Robin offered last week. I finished it up this morning. It was a quick read, a page turner and enjoyably fluffy, more plot driven than I usually read but perfect for my park scene. She's written several more books as part of the series and it was lighthearted enough that I may dip into another one when I want something fun and entertaining.

This week I'll be immersing myself in the world of The Firebrand, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. This is part of my 5/5/5 focus on ancient history from a woman's perspective...

"Blending archaeological fact and legend, the myths of the gods and the feats of heroes, Marion Zimmer Bradley breathes new life into the classic tale of the Trojan War-reinventing larger-than-life figures as living people engaged in a desperate struggle that dooms both the victors and the vanquished, their fate seen through the eyes of Kassandra-priestess, princess, and passionate woman with the spirit of a warrior."

Indeed!

And to close, I'm on the next to last chapter of my audio book, The Joyous Body by CPE.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Lady of Devices, especially since I downloaded it last week.  :)     Adding The Firebrand to my wish list. Already have The Forest House in my stacks.

I didn't finish any books last week. I did finish Miss Lonelyhearts in the Nathanael West book that I'm reading that combines Miss L with The Day of the Locust. My first thought was along the lines of Wow. Now I need to read that again. It seemed like there was so much there, and now that I've got the basic story, I'd like to read it a second time and take a closer look at the details. - Probably not this year, though.

I also started on Keeping a Nature Journal ,Martha Ronk's Transfer of Qualities, and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Miss Lonelyhearts sounds interesting, although a bit dark.  Will have to think about that one.

I'm on page 750+ now, I'm 'almost' finished (book has less then 1000 pages).

I've also almost finished book 1 of the Bleak house (I have a 2 pocket edition)

I finished 'De Tweeling' (The Twin) from  Tessa de Loo.

If nothing happens (MIL has been found unconscious a few hours ago, and we are waiting for more news) I hope I can start something new this week.

Still in search if we have a translation for 'steampunk' ; never heard that word before last week.... :)

Oh my!  Hope she'll be okay.  Keep us updated. 

If nothing happens (MIL has been found unconscious a few hours ago, and we are waiting for more news) I hope I can start something new this week.

Still in search if we have a translation for 'steampunk' ; never heard that word before last week.... :)

:grouphug: I hope your MIL will be okay!

No, steampunk = steampunk in Dutch :D.

I've enjoyed browsing through the book Reading Women by Stefan Bollman and Karen Joy Fowler.

From Booklist:

Women in crisp white frocks, extravagant gowns, and nary a stitch read books in gardens, at tables, and in bed, each utterly enthralled and transported. Beginning in the Middle Ages and sweeping forward to include paintings by Vermeer, Fragonard, Vuillard, and Hopper, Bollman has gathered arresting portraits of women entranced by books in all sorts of circumstances. Best-selling novelist Karen Joy Fowler provides a stirring foreword, in which she muses over how hard women had to fight for the right to literacy and the freedom to read. A woman reading, after all, is a woman not cooking or cleaning. Bollman further explicates the obstacles reading women faced when reading was considered more of a vice than a virtue for females. Providing shrewd and entertaining commentary for each heart-lifting image of women in book-induced reveries, Bollman covers a delectably wide spectrum of book-struck women, beginning with Simone Martini's 1333 Annunciation, in which Mary is clearly displeased at having her reading interrupted, and ending with an Eve Arnold photograph of Marilyn Monroe reading Joyce's Ulysses. Donna Seaman
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

ETA: I checked this out because I liked the title of an earlier edition: Women Who Read are Dangerous.

Regards,

Kareni

Loesje--sending your mother-in-law good thoughts.

Last night brought a lovely diversion.  My niece invited us to spend the night with her family at a vacation rental.  We grabbed some vegetables from our CSA box, picked up some fresh fish, then boarded a ferry which delivered us to an enchanting island so near and yet so far away.  We had a lovely mini-vacation and high quality time with good people.

I am reading a mystery Mumto2 mentioned a couple of weeks ago, And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander.  Delightful so far!

I plan on carrying on with McCullough's The Greater Journey this week.

Best regards to all of my reading friends,

Jane

Loesje, praying for your MIL.

I finished The Collector and read a quarter of A Shiver Of Light. Like Kareni, I'm not impressed so far. My problem is I love the characters but it seems like we've gone down a bad, ridiculous road with everyone. Maybe it'll get better. A friend of mine told me there's an Outlander novella that I missed so I downloaded that too in preparation for Written In My Own Heart's Blood which is due in 2 days. I know Outlander is a love it or hate it series. I had to start Outlander twice before actually finishing it then I fell into their world. I was unimpressed with the first half of the last book in the series but the second half was exciting. Interested to see how this one turns out! 

Finished: Empty Nest Parenting by Richard and Linda Eyre

Secrets of the Heart by JoAnn Jolley

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Spinning Forward by Terri DuLong

Working on:

Fiction:  Rule of Four by Ian Cadwell

Kindle: Unwanted Husband by Sandra D. Bricker

Non-fiction: 

Phone: The Anvil of the World by Kage Baker

Computer: 

Well Education Mind: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Angel Girl: Water Babies by Charles Kingsley 

Audiobook: 

Total Read for 2014: 74

Loesje, keeping your mil, you, & your family in my thoughts. Many :grouphug: from here.

Got back home last night after all our travels. Traveling is always fun (I love it), but it's always fun to be back home again too.

Still reading & loving Mink River by Brian Doyle. It's really gorgeous. Already it has made me think that 'this is a book I would buy to give to others', one of those you want to share....

Set in the Pacific Northwest, it seems the perfect way to wrap up my travels to Alaska & Seattle.

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

My PaperbackSwap Page

My rating system:

5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Good/Fine; 2 = Meh; 1 = Don't bother

2014 Books Read:

01. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (5 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ North America (USA).

02. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (3 stars).

03. Aiding and Abetting by Muriel Spark (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (England).

04. Sunjata by Bamba Suso & Banna Kanute (5 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Africa (Gambia & Mali).

05. The Lunatic by Anthony C. Winkler (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Caribbean (Jamaica).

06. The Joke by Milan Kundera (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (Czech Republic).

07. One Hundred Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergen (3 grudging stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Asia (Japan).

08. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (5 stars).

09. The French Connection by Robin Moore (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ North America (USA).

10. The Way Through Doors by Jesse Ball (4 stars).

11. Eat for Health by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. (4 stars).

12. LoterĂƒÂ­a by Mario Alberto Zambrano (1 star).

13. FantĂƒÂ´mas by Pierre Souvestre & Marcel Allain (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (France).

14. The Ways of White Folks by Langston Huges (5 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ North America (USA).

15. Asleep in the Sun by Adolfo Bioy Casares (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ South America (Argentina).

16. Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett (5 stars).

17. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi (5 stars).

18. Boxer, Beetle by Ned Beauman (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (England).

19. Blood Oranges by Kathleen Tierney (3 stars).

20. Atmospheric Disturbances by Rivka Galchen (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ South America (Argentina).

21. The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason (3 stars).

22. The Fig Eater by Jody Shields (5 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (Austria).

23. Broken Verses by Kamila Shamsie (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Asia (Pakistan).

24. I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal (5 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (Czech Republic).

25. My Kind of Girl by Buddhadeva Bose (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Asia (India & Bangladesh).

26. Background to Danger by Eric Ambler (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (Austria).

27. Aurorarama by Jean-Christophe Valtat (3 stars). Best Cover Art.

28. The Magicians by Lev Grossman (2 stars).

29. Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ North America (USA).

30. Decline of the English Murder by George Orwell (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (England).

31. The Miracle Cures of Dr. Aira by CĂƒÂ©sar Aira (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ South America (Argentina).

32. The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil by George Saunders (3 stars).

She is dying, they think.

Dh is on his way to the Netherlands in the hope to say farewell in time  ...

I hope that your husband will have the chance to say his farewell.  Sending good thoughts to you all.

Regards,

Kareni

Dh is on his way to the Netherlands in the hope to say farewell in time , dd and I will follow tomorrow.

We would visit her tomorrow and bake her some old-fashioned pancakes...

Loesje, sending a spacious breath your way. Hoping your dh arrives in time to say his goodbyes.

Loesje - many, many hugs to you and your family

Jane in NC - sounds like a WONDERFUL little mini-vacation

This week I finished Book 32 and 33 - Old School, by Tobias Wolff and One Day, by David Nicholls.  They were both ok.  I feel like I am on a never-ending quest to find a good story.  I didn't realize One Day had been made into a move a few years back.  Must have been living under a rock somewhere.

I started A Student of Weather, by Elizabeth Hay. It is about two sisters visited by an "exciting stranger" in the middle of the Dust Bowl on the prairies of Canada.  I also received a new release from the library which I may start tonight:  To Rise Again At a Decent Hour, by Joshua Ferris.  It is about a dentist leading a humdrum existence, until someone steals his identity online and provides a better version of himself.  We shall see...

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone!

I think I mentioned last week that I downloaded a sample of Carriger's, 'Soulless'. I liked the protagonist well enough but I just couldn't get past the vampires and werewolves. What am I missing here?! They seem to be a very popular presence in current fiction.

I liked that one ok. It wasn't a fave. I'm not as much of a fan of this series as many are. I, too, wondered what I was missing. I think of it/them as more of a beach/pool read, imo. I had no prob w/ the vamps & werewolves -- I like those in stories, but felt the plot overall was just so-so.

I liked that one ok. It wasn't a fave. I'm not as much of a fan of this series as many are. I, too, wondered what I was missing. I think of it/them as more of a beach/pool read, imo. I had no prob w/ the vamps & werewolves -- I like those in stories, but felt the plot overall was just so-so.

What is it you like about the vampires and werewolves? Is that question even answerable :lol:

No, not answerable, I think. LOL. Maybe I just like supernatural creatures in a story sometimes.

I like vampire stories in general. My fave of the supernatural world, I guess. Since I've read quite a few, I find it fun to read others, just to see what parts of the mythology are used/destroyed/etc.... (Similar to me enjoying retellings of fairy tales, just to see what the newer author uses or discards or twists in relation to the old stories.)

Haven't really read much in the area of werewolves (& am not super-interested either), but they were fine in the Soulless books.

Loesje--Praying for your family. I hope your husband arrives in time.          

I have not had time to click on any of the links.  Looking forward to them. I really need to reserve some books........not really, other than in my continuing effort to keep library volume up which I really do try to do.  :lol:  

I have several books started and can't seem to concentrate on any.  I did start this http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/16/a-pleasure-and-a-calling-phil-hogan-review  this afternoon and really like it although the concept terrifies me.  The title is A Pleasure and A Calling by Phil Hogan.  Very briefly it is about a realtor who keeps keys and information for every property he has ever been involved with.  I have already told Dh all our locks should be changed!  The scene that really cracked me up thus far is he is on a walk and has a confrontation with a man who refuses to clean up after his dog.  He collects the evidence and stops at his office to get the key to the offender's home and deposits a present in the middle of the living room rug.  From reading the reviews things are going to become far worse but some of his opening fixes are funny, not right but ..... Anyway I am hooked.

No, not answerable, I think. LOL. Maybe I just like supernatural creatures in a story sometimes.

I like vampire stories in general. My fave of the supernatural world, I guess. Since I've read quite a few, I find it fun to read others, just to see what parts of the mythology are used/destroyed/etc.... (Similar to me enjoying retellings of fairy tales, just to see what the newer author uses or discards or twists in relation to the old stories.)

Haven't really read much in the area of werewolves (& am not super-interested either), but they were fine in the Soulless books.

Ok, fair enough. I think it's likely akin to my feeling about the Djinn in Byatt's book. I developed a little crush on him, I think :001_wub:

I read Escape from Camp 14 - 4 Stars. Got it on sale during our trip to Seattle and Alaska. This and "Nothing to Envy" are among the absolute most compelling books I have ever read. Wow. Just wow. I couldn't recommend them more. If anyone's interested, I personally recommend Nothing to Envy to be read first. Then, take a break for a while, and read this one.

9780230754683.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay Ă¢â‚¬â€œ nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish Ă¢â‚¬â€œ waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re that bad.

What is it you like about the vampires and werewolves? Is that question even answerable :lol:

I read quite a bit of paranormal but normally stick to vampires and werewolves.  I also like the comparative mythology--love all the different views on what they can and can't do.  Origins.........I enjoy all the extra bits.  The main vampire/werewolf is generally written as a proper romantic hero,  with relatively clear good verses evil.

I don't mind other paranormals but find the good and evil lines a bit blurry sometimes and don't enjoy them as much.  I came to Soulless not knowing it was Steampunk or what Steampunk even was.  I love New to me paranormals and had never heard of a soulless creature.  I enjoyed vampires coming to life and aging when she touched them,  werewolves all wolfy suddenly human.  As a veteran paranormal reader the concept cracked me up.

No good explanation Shukriyya but there is a quick why I like them. ;)

After a non-reading streak I finally finished a book.  

Read aloud The Winged Watchman to HIlda van Stockum to DD. It wasn't a thrilling page turner but instead it gave such feeling and depth to how the people of Holland suffered during WWII and how they kept their faith and persevered.  DD and I are discussing what to read next off of the list my friends here help me put together.  :)

On an alarming related note on Monday I downloaded all six Flavia de Luce books to DD's iPod hoping that would keep her busy for a few weeks.  On Friday she told me she was done with them.  I assumed she meant the first book.  Nope.  All of them. How am I going to keep this kid in audiobooks this summer?!?!?  All suggestions for good YA series would be appreciated.  Double points if they are looooooong.   

DH also found this cool Reading Bingo Challenge online and thought my BaW friends would be interested in it:

http://www.retreatbyrandomhouse.ca/2014/01/reading-bingo-challenge-2014/

Dh is on his way to the Netherlands in the hope to say farewell in time   , dd and I will follow tomorrow.

I am so sorry.  

Loesje,  I am sorry about your mil.  I hope that your dh will be able to get there in time.

Jane,  your visit sounds delightful.

I read   A Lantern in her Hand  by Bess Streeter Aldrich  this week.  I enjoyed the read but it was a bit depressing.

I am reading a few books going at the same time.  I am reading  The Cocktail Party  by T.S.Eliot,  Confessions by Augustine  and Holy Day by Carolyn Weber.

Not book related but ds wanted me to show his handiwork to "your BaW ladies". It's been a week of gnome making and other simple crafts. Ironically he's the more craft-oriented one in the family and some of his lacework is lovely. My crafting is confined mainly to knitting though I joined in the gnome-making this week. Our summer craft project is to make a marionette based on one of our favorite characters from a book/fairytale/myth.

At any rate beading is the thing of the moment right now and it has sent us on a fun journey to discover the origins of Native American beading, the materials they used for looms (willow branches and other bendable wood), the needles (quills), the thread (sinew) and the beads themselves--coral, turquoise, shells, amber, bone, horn, ivory...

The limitations of allowable size for pics doesn't really let you see the intricacy of his work but trust me those beads are minute...

Not book related but ds wanted me to show his handiwork to "your BaW ladies". It's been a week of gnome making and other simple crafts. Ironically he's the more craft-oriented one in the family and some of his lacework is lovely. My crafting is confined mainly to knitting though I joined in the gnome-making this week. Our summer craft project is to make a marionette based on one of our favorite characters from a book/fairytale/myth.

At any rate beading is the thing of the moment right now and it has sent us on a fun journey to discover the origins of Native American beading, the materials they used for looms (willow branches and other bendable wood), the needles (quills), the thread (sinew) and the beads themselves--coral, turquoise, shells, amber, bone, horn, ivory...

The limitations of allowable size for pics doesn't really let you see the intricacy of his work but trust me those beads are minute...

attachicon.gifbeading6.jpg

Please tell him that I thought it was lovely and can't wait to see his finished product.

Dh is on his way to the Netherlands in the hope to say farewell in time   , dd and I will follow tomorrow.

I'm so sorry and hope you all get there in time to say goodbye!  :grouphug:

Loesje--sending your mother-in-law good thoughts.

Last night brought a lovely diversion.  My niece invited us to spend the night with her family at a vacation rental.  We grabbed some vegetables from our CSA box, picked up some fresh fish, then boarded a ferry which delivered us to an enchanting island so near and yet so far away.  We had a lovely mini-vacation and high quality time with good people.

I am reading a mystery Mumto2 mentioned a couple of weeks ago, And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander.  Delightful so far!

I plan on carrying on with McCullough's The Greater Journey this week.

Best regards to all of my reading friends,

Jane

I downloaded this at mumto2's suggestion, too, as it was a kindle freebie.

I also downloaded it so glad to hear you are enjoying it, Jane. We also have a diversion yesterday when an old friend hubby hadn't seen in 40 years came into town.  We had a great evening with him and his wife, went through a couple bottles of Bordeaux and lots of memories.

I think I mentioned last week that I downloaded a sample of Carriger's, 'Soulless'. I liked the protagonist well enough but I just couldn't get past the vampires and werewolves. What am I missing here?! They seem to be a very popular presence in current fiction.

What I liked about the series was Alexia's sense of humor and how it played through the whole book and how the characters played, reacted, connected with her.  I think if it had been a serious tale, I wouldn't have liked it as much. There was a sense of the ridiculous which made it a fun read. 

I've ready plenty of books with vampires and werewolves and remarkably they've all been a bit different in how they treat the myth of the creatures.  I guess I like that element of danger either one presents because you never quite know which way they are going to go.  I guess it all has to do with the author and the personality of the given characters and how they react in each story.  Plus the stories take me out of my world into a fantasy for which we've already discussed... I don't mind my feet or mind, not being planted firmly on the ground. 

attachicon.gifbeading6.jpg

So cool. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Started reading:
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Still reading: 
all caught up!

Finished reading: 
1. The Curiosity by Stephen Kiernan (AVERAGE)
2. The Last Time I Saw Paris by Lynn Sheene (GOOD)
3. Unwind by Neal Shusterman (EXCELLENT)
4. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (EXCELLENT)
5. The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith by Peter Hitchens (AMAZING)
6. Champion by Marie Lu (PRETTY GOOD)
7. Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink (INCREDIBLE) 
8. Cultivating Christian Character by Michael Zigarelli (HO-HUM)
9. Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff (um...WOW. So amazing and sad)
10. Pressure Points: Twelve Global Issues Shaping the Face of the Church by JD Payne (SO-SO)
11. The Happiness Project: Or Why I spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun. by Gretchen Rubin (GOOD)
12. Reading and Writing Across Content Areas by Roberta Sejnost (SO-SO)
13. Winter of the World by Ken Follet (PRETTY GOOD)
14. The School Revolution: A New Answer for our Broken Education System by Ron Paul (GREAT)
15. Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen (LOVED IT)
16. Beyond the Hole in the Wall: Discover the Power of Self-Organized Learning by Sugata Mitra (GOOD)
17. Can Computers Keep Secrets? - How a Six-Year-Old's Curiosity Could Change the World by Tom Barrett (GOOD)
18. You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself by David McRaney (GOOD)
19. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (OK)
20. Follow Me by David Platt (GOOD)
21. The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burkeman (SO-SO)
22. Falls the Shadow by Sharon Kay Penman (OK)
23. A Neglected Grace: Family Worship in the Christian Home by Jason Helopoulos (GOOD)
24. The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan (DEPRESSING)
25. No Place Like Oz by Danielle Paige (SO-SO)
26. 84 Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff (DELIGHTFUL)
27. The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman (WORST ENDING EVER)
28. Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor (SO-SO)
29. Mere Christianity by CS Lewis (BRILLIANT)
30. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (WONDERFUL)
31. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (CAN'T-PUT-IT-DOWN-READ-IT-ALL-IN-ONE-SITTING BOOK)

Just stopping by long enough to wave hello.  So far today I've played a church service and a concert and now have to leave for rehearsal. Thank heavens for Jo Walton's writing.  I was able to start Ha'Penny at a rehearsal yesterday and was quickly absorbed in spite of music going on all around me.  It's been a nice book to turn to for down time when I'm home, too.  Good plot, good writing but not too complex to require lots of focus -- you know it has a good beat and I can dance to it!!

and now.....

Into the Woods

It's time to go

I hate to leave

I have to though

Into the Woods

It's time, and so

I must begin my jouney

Loesje  :grouphug:

Gail Carriger: I'm not a paranormal fan. I don't read many vampire/werewolf books, but I did enjoy how Carriger fit the vampires and werewolves into Victorian society. They weren't hidden in the dark underbelly. They had gifts which fit into the empire and made them prominent in society. It gives her the chance to explore prejudice, class, and politics.  It also made the steampunk elements of the novel more realistic (IMO) because the vampires are a stabilizing element pushing invention. I also liked that Carriger didn't take it too seriously. The base made for great romantic adventure fluff (although the first two are a bit steamy it levels off after that) with fun characters. 

I forgot to count Sous Chef last week. 

It's a 'day in the life' book, following the sous chef of a fancy bistro. It goes from slow prep to heat of the moment drama. You get to know all the players in a restaurant kitchen and the hours and hard work it takes to make good food. You can't look at the experience of eating in a restaurant the same way again. Realistic, down to the after work drinking and hard living common to kitchen staff. 

Quick, easy read, although you may want to skip the index of kitchen terms (some are use in the book but most are just included to be informational). 

loesje--thinking of you and your family.

shukriyya--just started Possession this week! Maybe I'll get to the djinn book someday.

Amy--just thinking that listening to the Flavia books may be a good way to share them with the girls. We've been doing the Harry Potter books in the car as we go to activities. We're almost done with book 6, one more to go, and then we'll need something new. But one advantage to Harry is that they practically know the books by heart, so if they miss a bit when I drive a sister to an activity, we don't need to backtrack. For Flavia we'd have to make sure everyone hears everything. Oh and we also enjoyed The Winged Watchman several years ago.

JennW--just picked up Ha'penny at the library on Friday--will probably start it on the treadmill tomorrow (it has a slightly larger font than Possession--important for treadmill reading! Using reading glasses on the treadmill is not ideal!)

General wrap-up: Finished Jo Walton's Farthing which I enjoyed and thought was very well done. Will move on to Ha'penny. Maya Angelou's Mom and Me and Mom was a very quick read. If you know nothing of her life, it's an easy-reading biography focusing on her relationship with her mom. I pulled A.S. Byatt's Possession from my pile of library book sale finds and am enjoying it. It's a bit of a chunkster for me--may take a couple of weeks. Still reading Jane Eyre aloud--we're approaching the half-way point.

I am woefully behind on HOTAW--didn't do any last week so now need to do 5 chapters to get caught up. But as we will be starting ancient history again in our home school studies in August, I am motivated.

Happy reading week everyone.

Amy, has your dd read The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett? She might love Tiffany Aching.

My ds is a huge HP & Flavia fan. He is now devouring all of Terry Pratchett's books. (I bought him 7 during our trip, I think.) Not sure if those would be up your dd's alley as I think she's a bit younger than my ds (he's 13yo).

Stacia - Are you sneaking in my house and peaking at my nightstand?   :laugh:   I just picked up Wee Free Men for her (and me!) to read.  Our library doesn't have them on audiobooks.  I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find them.  I'll report back to you and your DS on how we like them.

Ali in OR - I highly recommend the Penderwicks as audiobooks also.  Those were a huge hit at my house.  DH was teasing DD about something and she turned around and quoted Shakespeare at him ... she learned it from the Penderwicks. At that point I just gave up teaching and figured audiobooks would take care of it all.  

Dh is on his way to the Netherlands in the hope to say farewell in time , dd and I will follow tomorrow.

Hope you all make it there safely and in time.

Oh Loesje... I'm so sorry. Safe travels, and may you cherish whatever time you have with her. Keep us posted as you're able.

Stacia and Negin, lovely picture! So fun to be able to put faces with names.

Still working through the Ladybug Farm books!

Btw, Jane, just wanted to let you know that dh read the Eric Ambler book (Background to Danger) too & enjoyed it. He was surprised it was written in the '30s & pointed out that it focused more on dialog & less on action than many current spy/espionage/thriller type books. Just requested another one of Ambler's books through PaperbackSwap for both dh & I to read....

Speaking of spy stuff, the dc & I went to see the (temporary) spy exhibit at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. We thought it was pretty neat. I enjoyed it more than the spy museum in D.C. Recommended if you're in the Seattle-area. (I think the exhibit will be there until sometime in September.)