Menu

Read-aloud for an almost 5 year old girl where public school isn't the setting.

That is kind of an embarrassing title, LOL.... Nonetheless, it is true.

I would love some fun, light read-alouds for the summer for my DD who wants to go to Kindergarten with her friends (I haven't decided yet what she will do).  I'd like to avoid the topic with our reading. Any ideas?  Thanks!

That is kind of an embarrassing title, LOL.... Nonetheless, it is true.

I would love some fun, light read-alouds for the summer for my DD who wants to go to Kindergarten with her friends (I haven't decided yet what she will do).  I'd like to avoid the topic with our reading. Any ideas?  Thanks!

The Wizard of Oz (and others in the series)

The Rescuers (series by Margery Sharp, ***not*** Disney; rare, hard to find, but worth the search)

If she likes horses, she might enjoy some of Marguerite Henry's books, especially Misty of Chincoteague.

Back in the day when my daughter was in K (she's going to be a 4th grader this year! Sniff, sniff...), I compiled a list of everything we read aloud that year with my review of the book.

The list is here on my blog.  Hope this helps!  :001_smile:

i bookmarked this.  I have already read some of the same, and they were liked.  

at just-5, we enjoyed Milly-Molly-Mandy, My Father's Dragon, Catwings, and such when we wanted chapter books.  We still mostly read picture books at that age, though (and still do!). It's easy to find picture books not on the school theme. 

I don't think we've ever read a book that was set in a school.  I haven't avoided the subject, its just never come up...

This is for your 4 yr old right?  Books my kids have especially adored while 4 or 5:

My Father's Dragon (I only LOVE the first one but the kids enjoy all three),

Charlotte's Web,

Trumpet of the Swan,

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (we only read this book at 4, the rest of the series I find are better enjoyed around 6),

Pagoo (a science unit in itself),

Mr Popper's Penguins,

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,

and The Tale of Despereaux.  

One of my kids was head over heels in love with Winnie the Poo at this age. The other couldn't stand it.  That makes me hesitant to suggest it anymore as a sure win, even though I love it :(  So tentatively also Winnie the Poo.  

We're most the way through Pippi Longstocking and having lots of fun with it! There is one chapter where Pippi tries going to school and it is a disaster, but the way it is presented is that Pippi is having a lot more fun without going to school.

Betsy Tacy- in the first book the girls are five and don't yet attend school. Very sweet story.

All-of-a-Kind Family- I don't remember much/any mention of school as it is a family story.

Twig- about a little girl & fairy.

I 3rd or 4th Millie Molly Mandy.

Just a heads up that Tale of Desperaux has abuse in it, and Betsy-Tacy (though one of my favorites EVER) has the death of Tacy's baby sister. It's handled beautifully, though.

Fantastic Mr. Fox by Dahl is fabulous--but you have to be ok with English humor.

Cinnabar, The One O'clock Fox by Maguerite Henry is also wonderful.

(Can you tell dd was into foxes when she was 5? lol)

Can I ask a slightly OT question? It looks like most of the books being recommended here are for ages 8 and up, though the OP's DD is not yet 5...Would they be over a 4yo's head or did most of your kids understand them at this age? These look wonderful, and *I* want to read them, but looking at samples I'm thinking they'd probably be over my own daughter's head. (My DD has just started getting into Magic Tree House books, but they're still a stretch, and seem a bit simpler than these.)

They are probably talking about 8 as the reading to themselves age, not the read-aloud age.  

My daughter is 3 and quite enjoyed the My Father's Dragon books.  

I wish books could include a recommended read-aloud age too.  Sometimes the read-aloud age is probably the same as the read-to-themselves age.  I guess that is why people come here, and make lists for each other.  

They are probably talking about 8 as the reading to themselves age, not the read-aloud age.  

My daughter is 3 and quite enjoyed the My Father's Dragon books.  

I wish books could include a recommended read-aloud age too.  Sometimes the read-aloud age is probably the same as the read-to-themselves age.  I guess that is why people come here, and make lists for each other.  

I agree with you!

My DD loved My Father's Dragon at 3 as well, but I think that was also more accessible, more action without a lot of narrative and description. I don't think my daughter could follow Trumpet of the Swan yet for example, or The Ordinary Princess. (And now I'm trying to stop myself from worrying that my DD is behind, lol.)

Can I ask a slightly OT question? It looks like most of the books being recommended here are for ages 8 and up, though the OP's DD is not yet 5...Would they be over a 4yo's head or did most of your kids understand them at this age? These look wonderful, and *I* want to read them, but looking at samples I'm thinking they'd probably be over my own daughter's head. (My DD has just started getting into Magic Tree House books, but they're still a stretch, and seem a bit simpler than these.)

The books I mentioned (and many others) we're read-aloud this year to my DD who turned 5 last week. She followed them all with great interest & comprehension (I sneakily asked for informal narrations as we read).

Novels are hit and miss with my 4.5 year old son. But the go to books have been anything by E.B White, Kate DiCamillo, (except Flores and Ulysses) and France Hodson Burnett. The first 2 Little. House books have been a hit also. I have chose not to go beyond those yet.

He is now into Nate the Great, Greetings from Somewhere, Mercy Watson, The Calendar Mysteries, Nancy Clancy and The Magic Treehouse series. The series are great because it provides me with a large selection of books to keep him occupied for a bit. But they aren't great literature, but perfect as he is reading them himself.

Books that he can't relate to are books about school or some more modern books. He doesn't really have a concept of it and he can't follow along well enough I think. Vintage books, farm like stories and simple fantasy books, after lots of fairy take exposure, are the better choices for us.

I agree with you!

My DD loved My Father's Dragon at 3 as well, but I think that was also more accessible, more action without a lot of narrative and description. I don't think my daughter could follow Trumpet of the Swan yet for example, or The Ordinary Princess. (And now I'm trying to stop myself from worrying that my DD is behind, lol.)

I agree that this is a great first book, the simple this happened, then this happened, then this happened style is easily accessible. Have you tried Charlotte's Web? Or Edward Tulane, which is a sad thought provoking story, but the narrative is easier to read than most. Some of the nuances might go over your daughters head, but the story is straight forward enough. Likewise A Little Princess is also pretty easy to read.

Have you tried more advanced narrative picture books. Lentil, or One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey or stories by Virginia Lee Burton or James Herriot are good intermediate options. In fact those picture books have stories with richer language than many chapter books.

Also definitely check out Arnold Lobel's books. They are early chapter books.

Yes. the Virginia Lee Burton are great and fine for a very young one.  I still remember the day that DD asked for all four of those in the collection one night while she was still in the crib.  The rule was that she could pick out any four books/stories before bed.  Generally at least one or two are much easier/shorter books.  

I think a pp is right about Milly-Molly-Mandy having some stories about the children going to the village school.  My youngest hser was 5 when she was enraptured by these books. I don't remember it being an issue, but ymmv.  Nim's Island is a possibility.  Same child/age also enjoyed Nim greatly, and was offended by the movie a few years later. ;)  Cobble Street Cousins, and The Lighthouse Family series, both by Cynthia Rylant, are very sweet books for young children. Babe, The Gallant Pig is another good read. (Although, like Charlotte's Web, it has some sad parts.)   Mary Poppins, Nurse Matilda, The Water Horse, and good old-old fashioned picture books are other nice options for young children. I'm also a huge fan of nursery rhymes and poetry. Reading the same ones over and over again leads to (painless) memorization; that mastery is often very satisfying, not to mention lots of fun for little ones. (Works the brain as well, but still...the joy is the thing. :) ) 

DD still likes and rereads Milly-Molly-Mandy. Other favorites have been A Bear Called Paddington, Winnie-the-Pooh (you might want an audio recording for this one), Raggedy Ann Stories, Big Susan, Twig, Nurse Matilda, The Tale of Despereaux.

Regarding Milly-Molly-Mandy and school...yes, she goes to school, but most of the stories take place at home or in the village with her friends. I thought OP wanted stories where school was not the setting, not that school was a taboo subject. 

Regarding Milly-Molly-Mandy and school...yes, she goes to school, but most of the stories take place at home or in the village with her friends. I thought OP wanted stories where school was not the setting, not that school was a taboo subject. 

Since every chapter in the book is self-contained, you can skip over the school-related ones if you want to avoid them. Most of the chapters are about other things.