Menu

Favorite picture books

Mom-ninja.

What are some favorites you've discovered that aren't covered in the "must read classic" picture books?

Some of ours are:

Mo Willems books especially the pigeon books but all are great.

David Shannon books with the ultimate favorite being No, David!

Don and audrey wood have a few. Titles: 1. The little mouse, red ripe strawberry, and the big hungry bear. 2. The napping house 3. The big blue sea 4. Quiet as a cricket.

There is a series of Biscuit the dog.

Thd Berenstain bears: 1. The A book. 2. The B book. 3. The spooky old tree 4. Bears in the night

Some dr.seuss books

I hope I have all the titles right.. this is just off the top of my head.

My children have loved these books.

HTH

We have enjoyed various picture books by Bob Graham, Maurice Sendak, Jenny Wagner, and Jeannie Baker. Other specific favourites have included: "Shine Moon Shine", by David Conway; "Owl Babies", by Martin Waddell; "The Flying Orchestra", by Clare McFadden; and "The Philharmonic Gets Dressed", by Karla Kuskin.

For any Australians, scholastic has a range of Banjo Patterson poems in illustrated picture books which are wonderful. They're big hits here. I have found 

Waltzing Matilda

The Man From Snowy River

Mulga Bills Bicycle

Clancy of the Overflow

The Geebung Polo Club (we don't own this yet, so no, I can't comment on if, or how, they made it child friendly!)

I believe there were a couple of others too but I don't have access to my wishlist database right now and we have only bought the first 4 so far.

Too many to list.

Just a few off the top of my head:

Virginia Burton books--Katy and the Big Snow, Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel, The Little House

The Little Bear books

Make Way For Ducklings, Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine

Chrysanthemum (all the Keven Henkes books)

Leo Lionni's books

Jan Brett's books

Bill Peet's books

Okay I just asked the kiddos. My 6 year loves the Skippyjon Jones books. My oldest ds still like Dr DeSoto and How Many Spots Does A Leopard Have and my 3 year old loves the Thomas the Tank Engine books (I read the originals btw, not television show based) and she says she loves her "Cheerio books"  :lol:  Those little books that come in Cheerios boxes...the kids have collected them for years and my dd has taken lately to organizing her "collection." 

There's some good titles in there though...Muncha Muncha Muncha, All The World, The Relatives Came

And I never ever turn down a request for a Dr Seuss read -a-thon

Authors: pretty much all books by Oliver Jeffers and Peter Brown

Favorite picture books:

The Curious Garden

Too Much Glue

Extra Yarn

Stuck

The Noisy Paintbox

The Day the Crayons Quit (I know this one has mixed reviews, but my almost 8 yr old thinks it's hilarious)

Arnie the Doughnut (another one my almost 8 yr old adores)

• 3 weeks later...

Whitehawk, THANK YOU for recommending The Barefoot Book of Monsters!!! I ordered it after seeing your recommendation, and it's our new favorite book, we haven't had a new "read it againandagainandagain" book for the longest time. (It's a set of amazing, multicultural "monster" stories. The stories are fun and the writing is really lyrical so it's fun for me, as a writer, to read aloud.)

I now seriously want to order all the "Barefoot Book of" books.

Whitehawk, THANK YOU for recommending The Barefoot Book of Monsters!!! I ordered it after seeing your recommendation, and it's our new favorite book, we haven't had a new "read it againandagainandagain" book for the longest time. (It's a set of amazing, multicultural "monster" stories. The stories are fun and the writing is really lyrical so it's fun for me, as a writer, to read aloud.)

I now seriously want to order all the "Barefoot Book of" books.

I just took a look at this book and it looks right up my DD's alley! I am always searching for a good "monster" books. Thank you!

One that shocked me because I have a low opinion of actors in general was "Memoirs of a 4-year-old".  The format is the left side of the page is how she was a baby, and shows the baby doing whatever it is.  Then the right shows what she can do now.  For example, (from memory)

When I was a baby, I didn't know how to talk 

... but now I do

(shows her taking something back from the baby and shouting "No"

The Are You A Grasshopper/Butterfly/Ant/etc series.

The Leaf  Men and the Brave Good Bugs

Creepy Carrots(my son found this hysterical at age 4 and still loves it, but a friend told me it scared her 5 year old)

Oh No, or How My Science Project Destroyed the World

Sneaky Sheep

Monkey With A Toolbelt

King Arthur's Very Great Grandson

Hi, Pizza Man

The Seven Silly Eaters

The M.P Robertson dragon books

Wordless or word light books like:

The Knight and the Dragon

The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher

Journey by Aaron Becker(highly recommended!!)

Off the top of my head:

Curious George

Dr. Seuss

Harold and the Purple Crayon books

Rasberries!

John, Paul, George and Ben!

Wynken, Blynken and Nod

Usborne That's Not My Lion!

Down by the Station

I Took the Moon for a Walk

Amelia Bedelia

Winnie the Pooh