Menu

Memorial Day Picnic - Need Salad Ideas

Myeightkiddies

On Monday we will be attending a rather large Memorial Day picnic.  Due to our last name (the beginning letter) we are designated to bring salad.  I would like to make two.  Of course, in my efforts to decide what to bring, I decided to bring it to the experts.

What are your favorite "pot luck" salads?  As always, thank you! 

Are you using the Midwestern definition of "salad" (i.e., copious amounts of Jell-O and Cool Whip)? Or a larger definition?

Erica in OR

According to my family reunions, I always thought "salad" meant mayo.  you know, potato salad w/mayo, carrot raisin salad w/mayo, pasta salad...... :lol:

the lettuce stuff was 'tossed salad', ha

But thinking of jello and cool whip, remember that salad that was orange jello blended with grated carrots and cottage cheese?

ETA: not recommending the orange jello stuff, just reminiscing

One of my favorites is a bean and cord dish that you could call "bean salad" or sometimes I serve with tortilla chips as like a salsa. It's black bean, corn (cut off the cob fresh is best), tomatoes, onions, cilantro and some salt and cumin. There aren't exact amounts you just kind of add it in amounts/ratios that fits your taste. 

Depending on how many categories there are, I'd take salad to mean really any side dish for a cookout. Last year for our church picnic I was assigned "salad" but brought some roasted veggies that were a hit (if I do say so myself). I think there are so many mayo-based salads at these things that people were happy for something a little different.

What are the other categories?  -Helping you figure out if salad is a side dish, which is how I'd categorize cole slaw, a green salad- which is what I consider to be salad- lettuce with other veggies and croutons, or a Jello/Cool Whip thing, which I'd catagorize as dessert.

For something lighter, we've really liked cranberry/feta/spinach salads (one example is http://www.food.com/recipe/cranberry-feta-and-walnut-salad-59829).

From my WI/MN/Lutheran upbringing, the kids usually appreciate a potluck item like "green stuff": http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/watergate-salad-53771.aspx.

Recently attended a funeral (living in Oregon now) and of the potato salad, fruit salad, and a green Jell-O salad, can you guess which got emptied first? 

Erica in OR

I'd make fattoush, which is a middle eastern chopped salad.  Recipe at http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/modern-manna/.premium-1.529257   We usually just use romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, parsley, maybe one or two carrots, and onions (instead of shallots).  Dressing is lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Add in the pita croutons when you get there or else they get soggy.

I'd also do something along the lines of potato or macaroni salad, assuming those are not covered in sides or some other category.  There was a great recipe for potato salad by one of the Food Network stars http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/classic-potato-salad-recipe.html

Macaroni salad http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/classic-macaroni-salad.html

I like quinoa salads.  A friend of mine raves about this one:  http://www.justataste.com/2011/07/quinoa-with-corn-and-scallions/ and I'm going to try it for our family picnic. 

Usually I make a Greek quinoa salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, red onion, feta and a lemony greek vinaigrette.  (Make it the night before and add a tad more dressing before taking it.)  I could eat this all summer!

I like pasta salad. By "pasta salad" I mean vegetables, pasta, and Italian dressing. Some people put cheese on it but I can't have cheese. It is a standard potluck food IME but I like it anyways.

I would do a spinach and strawberry salad.

I put all sorts of different things in my salad, it may include:

Spinach

Strawberries

raisins

grapes

mandarin oranges

pecans (or walnuts,or sliced almonds)

Strawberry vinaigrette

I like feta in mine but dh disapproves of feta

I don't really eat mayo salads. They are good and all but they make me feel gross when it is hot.

Depending on how many categories there are, I'd take salad to mean really any side dish for a cookout. Last year for our church picnic I was assigned "salad" but brought some roasted veggies that were a hit (if I do say so myself). I think there are so many mayo-based salads at these things that people were happy for something a little different.

What a great idea--sneak in those veggies with no mayo!

I would take an Asian salad, either one with broccoli slaw, red pepper, peanuts and a semi-spicy dressing or perhaps Asian noodles.  For the second one, totally go with grilled veggies.

I also tend the skip the mayo when it's hot out or I have to travel with the food. I just made a pasta salad today, it was sort of a cheater version since I used bottled dressing but good and simple. I tossed cooked orzo, split cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices with Ken's Lite Northern Italian dressing. If I had fresh basil ready, I'd have shredded and added a few leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.

I'd make fattoush, which is a middle eastern chopped salad.  Recipe at http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/modern-manna/.premium-1.529257   We usually just use romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, parsley, maybe one or two carrots, and onions (instead of shallots).  Dressing is lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Add in the pita croutons when you get there or else they get soggy.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

i LOVE Middle Eastern food!

I would do an italian antipasto salad- rotini or other small shapes, diced pepperoni, salami, summer sausage, provolone/mozzarella, olives, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and italian dressing (I do homemade, but jarred works). A spoonful of pesto or just sliced basil is lovely, too. I get raves on this salad all the time.