Menu

6 Generations

Lawana

A baby was baptized today at church. The family present included the baby's great-great and great-great-great grandmothers. Mind boggling.

My grandmother lived to 99 and had just had a great-great grandchild. Women in our family tending to marry in early 20's.

I often joke that I'm old enough to be a great-grandma. My sister-in-law has a grandson who I believe is a junior in high school, so she could be a great-grandma soon and she's in her early 50s. ;)

I hear you. When I had dd at 37, my childhood friend already had a grandchild and is now a great-grandmother! (We are 54)

My stepmother had the potential for this, having her first child at 16 and her daughter having her first child at 16, so she was a grandmother at 32. As it is, in her mid-70s, she now has multiple great-grandchildren (12, if I'm counting correctly). Some of the great-grandchildren are now in their late teens, so a great-great isn't impossible, but hopefully unlikely, as none of them are married yet.

If my great-grandmother had hung in there another 3 or 4 years, she would have made it to great-great-grandmother status.  She had my grandmother young, who had my father at 17 or 18, who had me at 24, who had ds at 21.

I can't even fathom great-great-great-grandparent status!

I'm itching for a grandbaby in the same biological way I itched for my babies and my old friends are starting to have enough announcements that it might be a bit sad if little ds has been as impossible a dream as everyone said he was.

I've only got to wait another hour before we can call my 79 year old Mom and I can hardly wait! Gran already climbed out of a box in the back of my closet to remind me what unconditional love is and that I will never, ever lose her. She lived to be 84.

My mom was a grand mother at 38, and a great-grand mother at about 55.  Wow, I never really thought about that before.  Now at 72, my mom has 10 grand-children, and 9 great-grands (4 from each of the oldest grand-daughters).  Her oldest great-grand is in her mid teens so who knows how many generations will be alive in my moms life time.

We had 5 generations alive for about 12 years and my grand-mother ( died at about 90yo, so the possibility of 6 wouldn't have been a huge stretch. 

I'm the oldest grandchild but my cousin's, who was only 6 mos. younger then me,  daughter just had a baby.  This makes my Grandmother a Great-great grandmother.... at 74.  It is of course a happy occasion but sad her daddy, who died 1.5 years ago,  never got to meet his first grandchild.  So, that's 5 generations?  The generations are kind of tight already, I don't know how we'd have fit in a sixth.  

We had 5 generations on my dad's side for a while. It helped that two of my uncles were born befor wwII and the rest of the kids were born after. And my great grandmother lived to 104. I have cousins who are younger than some of our other cousins children. :)

In August we officiall (if everything goes well) will be more great grands then grands. But now we only have 3 generations alive. That said it is time for the great grands to start producing soon :D

We're three generations right now unless you count my kids as two generations since they span 20 years. More than likely, we'll go down to two before we're back up to three again. My dds are doing other things with their lives right now and it's time to love my parents like there's no tomorrow because there might not be.

Mom is the only one left of her generation and Dad has a childless cousin. dd1 was the first of her generation in our extended family and ds2 is the last. None of the other kids is married or a parent yet.

It's entirely possible that the kids are our final generation and my line is headed the way of the dodo and the passenger pigeon, but the silver lining of waiting so long to have ds2 is that I never have to find out.

We had 6 generations in our family when I was a kid. There was even a picture in the newspaper. It was my great grandmother,  grandmother, uncle, cousin, her daughter, and her baby. I'm not sure how it worked out. I think my great grandmother was at least 18 or so when she had her first, but I know my cousin's daughter was only about 16 and my dad was younger than my cousin. 

Wow.  That wouldn't happen in my family.  We all tend to get married later and have kids even later.

My husband's grandmother is still alive and is 101 years old.  She only has great grand kids though.  Oldest great grand is 20 and not married.

Dawn

When my oldest daughter was born, all of her grandparents, great-grandparents, and 2 great-great-grandmothers were sill alive.  We were able to get a 5 generation photo too.  I thought that was fairly impressive (and none were teen pregnancies).  Even now, my girls have all of their grandparents and all except one great-grandparent.

That means my oldest dd had 8 women at one point she called Grandma.  It was a little confusing, but awesome.  I can't imagine 6 generations.

Dh's side of the family tended to marry young and have babies right away.  Our oldest followed that tradition and our sweet granddaughter has a great-great Grandma, plus 5 living great-grandparents.  I was 22 when I had Pookers, and she was 22 when she had her daughter, so I do expect to be a great-grandmother someday.  My *mom*, on the other hand, never expected it and goes around telling people she is way too young to be a great grandparent [she's 75].