Menu

Allergic reaction to antibiotic?

lexi

Last Tues I took my kids to dr for strep. They were positive for it. Started amoxicillin that day. Today, one week later, I gave my oldest her dose. She is covered in an itchy red rash that is the worst around her neck, chest, and upper back. Would she have an allergy to meds a week later?

She has eaten nothing unusual this morning - only a bowl of her favorite cereal. She hadn't been outside today yet either.

What could be causing rash?

I have a call into our pedi this morning.

ETA: So I talked to our pedi and our immunologist. It's more than likely an amoxicillin rash. But because she's been on the meds more than 7 days the dr felt that she had enough to treat the strep and advised me to stop the meds for now. She was covered in an itchy rash and had raised welts on her back. She's doing slightly better after Benadryl. I'll be very cautious giving them amox in the future as my kids have several other allergies and it just simply makes me nervous. But thanks for all the help and the experiences!

I'm doubtful it's a true allergy but the meds did make her extremely uncomfortable. I'm off to pick up some probiotics for my crew now that we are done with meds!

ETA Part 2: Her rash is 1000 times worse today. Went back to dr. He thinks it's a viral infection. Probably hand, foot, and mouth disease.

I'm worried my other kids will get it! Strep one week and a virus the next! This has been miserable!!! The week before all this started we had a stomach virus. We cannot win!

That was how it happened with my middle son. He has had amoxicillin before, but that one time, he broke out. The doctor told us that happens sometimes. We were told that after  week of antibiotics, he should be infection clear, but to keep a watch on him to see if it comes back. Hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

I am allergic to amoxicillin and have a similar reaction. When I was around 8, I started getting tonsillitis very frequently. Amoxicillin was the drug of choice. I think it took about 3-4 runs through before the rash symptoms started to appear. So I think it is very possible that the rash could just now be showing up in your DD. I would give her Dr. a call and see what they think though.

Yep, I bet it is the antibiotics. Benadryl is a good idea. The doctor may prescribe steroids to help kick the reaction. The hives will come and go and move and spread. It's pretty wild to watch them. They will flare up with heat IME, like taking a hot shower. A not-hot bath with an Aveeno oatmeal packet may be soothing if she's really itchy. My DS's reaction stayed at "just" hives, but it can get more serious (serum sickness) in a few days-week. It takes a while for the reaction to build up in the body on the relatively small doses found in oral antibiotics.

My dr said it's probably "something else" but has no ideas as to what that something else would be. That answer is NOT good enough for me and I'm angry.

I just checked her again and now she has true dime-sized welts on her back above her shoulder blade. I'm thinking that this is an allergy.

She has eaten nothing unusual in days - we've actually eaten only at home and eaten meals that are usual for us. We haven't been anywhere new or different. I can think of nothing else causing this!

My dr said he would even treat her again with the same meds! I'm very uncomfortable with that answer.

I'm calling him back to update on the welts but I'm feeling very stressed. I'm going to stop her antibiotic treatment since she hasn't had any strep symptoms since Wed.

If she is itching, it's likely she is allergic (versus a penicillin rash that is non-allergic, and just a side effect). Ds is allergic to amoxicillin (hives 12 hours after last dose). It can come on at any point in the treatment. If she is allergic, don't worry too much (but be sure to tell any provider about this reaction when she needs future antiobiotics). Our pede explained that there are so many different antibiotics now that you can use instead, so shouldn't be a major problem in the future. 

My dr said it's probably "something else" but has no ideas as to what that something else would be. That answer is NOT good enough for me and I'm angry.

I just checked her again and now she has true dime-sized welts on her back above her shoulder blade. I'm thinking that this is an allergy.

She has eaten nothing unusual in days - we've actually eaten only at home and eaten meals that are usual for us. We haven't been anywhere new or different. I can think of nothing else causing this!

My dr said he would even treat her again with the same meds! I'm very uncomfortable with that answer.

I'm calling him back to update on the welts but I'm feeling very stressed. I'm going to stop her antibiotic treatment since she hasn't had any strep symptoms since Wed.

I agree with you! I wouldn't give her anymore at all, and consider it an allergy, unless your doc can prove otherwise (when you say welts, that sounds like an allergy). I'd call a pharmacist and ask if it's necessary to continue with a replacement, or if she's been on it long enough to just stop. Keep watching her, and maybe even consider an urgent care if they aren't going down with benedryl.

Yikes!  I wouldnt be happy with my Ped either if he said that.  My allergy child (both food and penicillin) broke out about 4 days into his first prescription for ear infections.  It was head to toe redness and welts.  He was miserable and it spread inside his mouth. You couldnt find skin on him that was not covered. My Ped saw him that same day, documented his reaction, made a note in his chart that he was allergic, and checked to see if his ears had healed enough to continue to do so without any further meds. DS was given lots of benedryl and that cleared him up (slowly). DS now has a medical bracelet with his food allergies and penicillin listed.

It's Eurythemia minor.  My dd got the same thing.  It's an allergic reaction to amoxycillin.  There isn't really anything to do but stop using the antibiotic, let the antibiotic clear from the system and avoid it in the future.  Benadryl can help with the itching.  Our ped said that some kids outgrow the allergy, but we haven't tested that theory.  It's really scary, but ultimately she recovered fine - this happened to Shannon when she was 3, I was pregnant, it was Christmas . . . not one of our best Christmases!  Good luck.

Oh, and if you do a google search - this is eurythemia minor, not eurythemia major, which is a much more serious and life-threatening condition.  I just about had a heart attack when I looked at that one! I suggest steering clear of reading about it till the existing rash clears up, you'll just make yourself crazy.

:grouphug:

No more penicillin for us! Yikes!

She hasn't had an antibiotic in years. I'm just so surprised at her reaction.

You might want to call her dentist to update her records too. All my dentists ask if I am allergic to penicillin. I take erythromycin instead of amoxicillin.

ETA:

Mine was dizziness almost immediately, my aunt's reaction was near fatal and she was thankfully already warded in the hospital at that time. My mum has a penicillin allergy too but she forgot what was her reaction. 

Lots of kids get a rash on Amoxicillin.  It doesn't necessarily mean an allergy.  It's just a side effect, and we see it all the time in the office.  Here's a quick quote for you:

Between 3 and 10% of children taking amoxicillin (or ampicillin) show a late-developing (>72 hours after beginning medication and having never taken penicillin-like medication previously) rash, which is sometimes referred to as the "amoxicillin rash". The rash can also occur in adults.

The rash is described as maculopapular or morbilliform (measles-like; therefore, in medical literature, it is called "amoxicillin-induced morbilliform rash".[12]) It starts on the trunk and can spread from there. This rash is unlikely to be a true allergic reaction, and is not a contraindication for future amoxicillin usage, nor should the current regimen necessarily be stopped. However, this common amoxicillin rash and a dangerous allergic reaction cannot easily be distinguished by inexperienced persons, so a healthcare professional is often required to distinguish between the two.

It's ok to continue using the meds if that's all it is.  And most of the time...this is what it is.

Lots of kids get a rash on Amoxicillin.  It doesn't necessarily mean an allergy.  It's just a side effect, and we see it all the time in the office.  Here's a quick quote for you:

Between 3 and 10% of children taking amoxicillin (or ampicillin) show a late-developing (>72 hours after beginning medication and having never taken penicillin-like medication previously) rash, which is sometimes referred to as the "amoxicillin rash". The rash can also occur in adults.

The rash is described as maculopapular or morbilliform (measles-like; therefore, in medical literature, it is called "amoxicillin-induced morbilliform rash".[12]) It starts on the trunk and can spread from there. This rash is unlikely to be a true allergic reaction, and is not a contraindication for future amoxicillin usage, nor should the current regimen necessarily be stopped. However, this common amoxicillin rash and a dangerous allergic reaction cannot easily be distinguished by inexperienced persons, so a healthcare professional is often required to distinguish between the two.

It's ok to continue using the meds if that's all it is.  And most of the time...this is what it is.

Thank you for this very, very helpful information. 

My ds reacts the same way. This is what the doctor told us. I do request a different antibiotic for him when it is required. 

This happened to my DD around 5 days or so after she started taking amoxicillin. (She's only taken antibiotics once or twice ever.) I read that it doesn't necessarily indicate an allergy—especially since the rash didn't appear immediately—but ever since then I mention it to the doctor just as an FYI.

When one of mine developed a rash after being on Amoxicillin three-four days, I took her back to see if we could determine if it was an allergic reaction or something else. A blood test did not reveal elevated levels of histamines, so the doctor did not believe it was an allergic reaction but simply some other virus she picked up somewhere. She still suggested that my dd avoid Amoxicillin in the future.

I would like to note, though, that the antibiotics that were prescribed for her the only time she needed any after that episode were $160 with insurance. Many people cannot afford that for an ear infection! So now, I'll talk with the doctor about if we can confirm that she has an allergy or confirm she doesn't have one. 

When my dd was 2 or 3 years old she developed a rash after taking amoxicillin. I called the pedi and they told me to stop giving it and they would mark her as allergic to it. My dd already had food allergies at that age and I so I decided that even after talking with the ped that I would call the allergist instead and get his opinion. He said that she probably wasn't allergic but that it was easier for doctors to just tell people to avoid certain antibiotics after getting a rash. He said that you really don't want to be marked as allergic to any antibiotic unless you really are since it limits your treatment choices in the future. So he had her come into the office and tested her with same bottle of amoxicillin that she had been taking. She wasn't allergic to it and has taken it with no problems since. So I'm really glad I looked into it further!

When oldest was around 18 months old he was prescribed amoxicillin for an ear infection.  Within a few hours of taking the first dose he developed lots of hives around his mouth.  I called the pediatrician and he said to stop giving it and he called in a sulfa drug instead.  And from then on the ped has advised that DS not take any type of penicillin.  He said the only way to tell for sure if he's allergic or not is for us to sit in his office for most of a day and test him.  But he didn't advise doing that unless/until we need to know.  DS has been very healthy, so there's never been a pressing need to know.  For safety we assume he IS allergic.  He's been prescribed sulfa drugs the few times he's had any type of infection, and they've always been effective (and inexpensive).

When oldest was around 18 months old he was prescribed amoxicillin for an ear infection.  Within a few hours of taking the first dose he developed lots of hives around his mouth.  I called the pediatrician and he said to stop giving it and he called in a sulfa drug instead.  And from then on the ped has advised that DS not take any type of penicillin.  He said the only way to tell for sure if he's allergic or not is for us to sit in his office for most of a day and test him.  But he didn't advise doing that unless/until we need to know.  DS has been very healthy, so there's never been a pressing need to know.  For safety we assume he IS allergic.  He's been prescribed sulfa drugs the few times he's had any type of infection, and they've always been effective (and inexpensive).

A reaction within an hour or so of taking the first dose usually is an allergy.  When the rash appears after 3 days, it's usually just an "amoxicillin rash".

My dd had this at age 3, she had an abcessed tooth and was out on amoxicillin. One week on it she broke out in a frightful rash from scalp to feet. I took her to the doctor, there's a good chance it was just amoxicillin rash, but it was so severe, literally spots overlapping on every surface of her skin, she was a little swollen and just looked purple, it was truly awful to see her. Because of the severity of the rash her doctor decided to treat it as an allergy to penicillin, though I wish he'd done a blood test. She's been on antibiotics twice since then for bronchitis and both times she had to have eurythromycin, which has a much stronger unpleasant taste, more abdominal side effects and is much more costly (amoxicillin costs us $12 per course, mycin cost $80 for the same period!!). I'd like to know for sure if she has a true penicillin allergy, going to ask our new doctor next week.

A reaction within an hour or so of taking the first dose usually is an allergy.  When the rash appears after 3 days, it's usually just an "amoxicillin rash".

I disagree. An allergic reaction can occur anytime during the course, or even after the last dose (as was my Ds's). I think it's misleading (and potentially harmful) to put a time frame on these rashes because, as discussed previously, a medical professional should distinguish a non-allergy rash from an allergic reaction rash/hives. 

I disagree. An allergic reaction can occur anytime during the course, or even after the last dose (as was my Ds's). I think it's misleading (and potentially harmful) to put a time frame on these rashes because, as discussed previously, a medical professional should distinguish a non-allergy rash from an allergic reaction rash/hives. 

Correct.  But I was simply clarifying for the poster whose child experienced it right away, that it was most likely an allergic reaction.  I didn't mean to imply that it COULDN'T be an allergic reaction if it occurs five days into treatment...only that it's not as likely.  In my 27 years of experience, very few of the reactions that occur that far into a course of penicillin are caused by a true allergy.  But it is possible, and any child who has a reaction should be checked out.  You will find, however, that most doctors won't see you for that.  As the OP said, her doctor told her it wasn't a problem.

I agree that it is less likely to be allergy when it has been so many days, but I still would be unhappy if the pedi didnt check.  DS does have the real allergy not just the "amox rash" and it did crop up later (I am pretty sure the 4th day but it might of been sooner like late 2nd or 3rd day...it has been a few years).  He did have swelling as well as a very bad rash with large welts.  He was thoroughly looked over and I cannot remember for sure if they did a blood test but I think they did.  So while (like Diane said) it is less likely, in our case it was still the true allergy. Not at all fun, but I would rather know for sure.

Correct.  But I was simply clarifying for the poster whose child experienced it right away, that it was most likely an allergic reaction.  I didn't mean to imply that it COULDN'T be an allergic reaction if it occurs five days into treatment...only that it's not as likely.  In my 27 years of experience, very few of the reactions that occur that far into a course of penicillin are caused by a true allergy.  But it is possible, and any child who has a reaction should be checked out.  You will find, however, that most doctors won't see you for that.  As the OP said, her doctor told her it wasn't a problem.

Thank you for clarifying. I just didn't want someone to use that as a 'guide' and dismiss a possible reaction. My sons reaction was HUGE welts about 12 or 24 hours after last dose. 

I can't imagine a doctor office turning someone away for a rash?? That's very surprising. 

Last Tues I took my kids to dr for strep. They were positive for it. Started amoxicillin that day. Today, one week later, I gave my oldest her dose. She is covered in an itchy red rash that is the worst around her neck, chest, and upper back. Would she have an allergy to meds a week later?

She has eaten nothing unusual this morning - only a bowl of her favorite cereal. She hadn't been outside today yet either.

What could be causing rash?

I have a call into our pedi this morning.

ETA:  So I talked to our pedi and our immunologist.  It's more than likely an amoxicillin rash.  But because she's been on the meds more than 7 days the dr felt that she had enough to treat the strep and advised me to stop the meds for now.  She was covered in an itchy rash and had raised welts on her back.  She's doing slightly better after Benadryl.  I'll be very cautious giving them amox in the future as my kids have several other allergies and it just simply makes me nervous.  But thanks for all the help and the experiences!

I'm doubtful it's a true allergy but the meds did make her extremely uncomfortable.  I'm off to pick up some probiotics for my crew now that we are done with meds!

Nm. Should have continued reading.

I think before I wrote the experience off as a rash, I would have the tests run to double-check, if that's possible. I am the one that got the rash, not my kids, and it was a very miserable experience. In fact, it's really not one I am willing to repeat and wouldn't ask one of my kids to do it either if it weren't necessary.

She's been on antibiotics twice since then for bronchitis and both times she had to have eurythromycin, which has a much stronger unpleasant taste, more abdominal side effects and is much more costly (amoxicillin costs us $12 per course, mycin cost $80 for the same period!!). I'd like to know for sure if she has a true penicillin allergy, going to ask our new doctor next week.

I would check with your insurance.  Both amoxicillin and erythromycin are under the same cost category for my insurance so my out of pocket would be the same for either.  I had been told by the ER doctor that erythromycin works better for people with asthma but I don't know how true it is.   

My insurance also covers medicine that are more expensive if I am allergic to the cheaper version, so check your insurance coverage for prescription drugs.  Blood tests were fully covered for mine.

. His point was that well yes, we could try it again and it could be fine, but more than likely, we could try it again and I could have far more severe results.

This.

My doctor wanted me to stay for a few hours after medication and have a designated person to get me home safe before trying a possible allergy again. 

It would be scary to collapse while walking or driving.

My son had a similar reaction after taking amoxicillin for strep--a week later, he broke out in little spots, etc.  Then he got REALLY tired and worn down--we had him tested for mono.  Came back negative, but he was WORN DOWN for weeks.

The ped said that his rash was a normal reaction and not a scary allergic reaction, and we finished out the dose, a couple of days.

i found some link that linked mono and amoxycillin rashes.  I'm convinced he actually had mono even though the test came out negative--my little bundle of energy was WIPED OUT.  Here is one link, but I found others two years ago when it happened:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001617/

Kind of like--if you THINK your child has mono, AND they get an amoxicillin rash, they probably DO have mono.  But the rash isn't anything to worry about--not an allergy per se.  Although i'm glad you reminded me of it--I had already forgotten.  And if he takes antibiotics again, I need to "be aware".

Glad you're getting some help--

The first time my son took Amoxicillan, he was covered in a rash on his torso. 

He never took it again, and his Dr. assumes he's allergic to it.

Same here.   Had to see another dr.--  at some point later on.  That dr. wanted to "try" ds on amoxicillian again.  I said "NO"  it wasn't worth the risk.