Menu

do you practice mindfulness or meditation?

elegantlion

I've been researching this as part of one of my classes and I find it fascinating. Ds and I have started slowly, like last week, so we're just beginning. 

I plan on getting Kabat-Zinn's book on Full Catastrophe Living and I started on the Great Courses lectures on Mindfulness. I also have Ryan's book A Mindful Nation sitting on my nightstand. 

I'm curious if you practice, how long you have been doing so, do you think its effective and whether you practice as a health benefit or approach it on a spiritual level. 

Also, if you have any links or other resources you think would be helpful please add them. 

This is something I've been working on, but I can't say that I'm consistent.  I've been incorporating different styles.  Sometimes I just do a breathing meditation (either breathing in/out for certain counts, retaining the breath, alt nostril breathing, etc...), I've also done sound, such as rounds of ONG, or listening to Tibetan bells, and I've just done mindfulness.  I have an account with YogaGlo.com, and they have numerous meditation classes which I've been enjoying.  I have 2 books on meditation, Running with the Mind of Meditation, by Sakyong Mipham, and Secrets of Meditation: by Davidji.  I also have a book that includes Christian meditation.

For me, it is about my mental health. I started looking into meditation as a way to help with feelings of panic (and panic attacks).  I should make more time for it, but I've been working on it.  

If you try out YogaGlo.  You can sign up and get 2 weeks for free.  They have an incredible library of meditation practices.  You can look at the library without the membership.  I highly recommend it.  I've learned a lot from there.   

Enjoy the journey.  

I've been researching this as part of one of my classes and I find it fascinating. Ds and I have started slowly, like last week, so we're just beginning. 

I plan on getting Kabat-Zinn's book on Full Catastrophe Living and I started on the Great Courses lectures on Mindfulness. I also have Ryan's book A Mindful Nation sitting on my nightstand. 

I'm curious if you practice, how long you have been doing so, do you think its effective and whether you practice as a health benefit or approach it on a spiritual level. 

Also, if you have any links or other resources you think would be helpful please add them. 

I practice mindfulness. Though I haven't done much formal practice lately, I do several "where am I/what am I doing/ pay attention to breathing" things several times a day.

I do it as a mental health benefit. I've done it for about 2 years. I did yoga before that, and now I sometimes combine the two.

I did a 6-week class last year for mindfulness to deal with anxiety; it was wonderful.

My children and I sometimes do the meditations from "Sitting Still Like a Frog"  :)

Not a formal meditation by any means but I love to lay down on our driveway after a run or walk (or just needing peace) and staring up at the leaves as they rustle in the wind. I try to empty my mind and just breathe and be. It is one of my favorite "hobbies" Does that count?

I started meditating regularly about 2 months ago... before that I would say I was an inconsistent meditator.

It has made a *tremendous* difference in my outlook on life. I was in a bad place two months ago... much better place now.

Some things I have loved lately:

The Coursera Course "Buddhism and Modern Psychology" by Robert Wright. There are about 6-7 hours of video lectures (maybe a little more...) that you could probably sign up for now... the course is wrapping up but you have time to sneak in the lectures and at least get a look at the reading resources. Even without the reading the course is *fantastic* --- and I believe they are leaving the lectures up for a couple of weeks.

Another resource I recently found is the "Audio Dharma" Podcast on ITunes. The talks by Andrea Fella have been particularly helpful to me. I think you can download/listen directly from their website as well: http://www.audiodharma.org/

I try to do both, but I'm not consistent.  Both are something I turn to in times of stress, but tend to forget about when life is good or gets too busy.  Mindfulness is especially helpful (and challenging) for me, as I've always tended to rush even when I don't need to.

I have a hard time sitting still and doing nothing, so I meditate while I'm walking. I aim for an hour a day minimum, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

I've been doing this for several years, 10+ anyway, and I've developed my own way. I do it for spiritual reasons mainly but health is a factor too.

This is something I've been working on, but I can't say that I'm consistent.  I've been incorporating different styles.  Sometimes I just do a breathing meditation (either breathing in/out for certain counts, retaining the breath, alt nostril breathing, etc...), I've also done sound, such as rounds of ONG, or listening to Tibetan bells, and I've just done mindfulness.  I have an account with YogaGlo.com, and they have numerous meditation classes which I've been enjoying.  I have 2 books on meditation, Running with the Mind of Meditation, by Sakyong Mipham, and Secrets of Meditation: by Davidji.  I also have a book that includes Christian meditation.

For me, it is about my mental health. I started looking into meditation as a way to help with feelings of panic (and panic attacks).  I should make more time for it, but I've been working on it.  

If you try out YogaGlo.  You can sign up and get 2 weeks for free.  They have an incredible library of meditation practices.  You can look at the library without the membership.  I highly recommend it.  I've learned a lot from there.   

Enjoy the journey.  

My research started as a project on stress relief, so yeah, ward off anxiety for sure. I'll check out the link, thanks. I started with a breathing exercise through my nose, which focused attention on my chronically stuffy nose (allergies), and then led to me thinking about a million other things.  :lol:

I took a meditation class not too long ago.  The problem is that every time I try to meditate I either fall asleep or start coughing violently.  It's very weird (and was a bit embarrassing in class).  Hehe

I liked the Tai Chi class better.  It's not really meditation, but it hints at that sort of thing. 

I have a Tai Chi DVD I need to dig out. I tried to get ds to learn with me and he balked. 

I practice mindfulness. Though I haven't done much formal practice lately, I do several "where am I/what am I doing/ pay attention to breathing" things several times a day.

I do it as a mental health benefit. I've done it for about 2 years. I did yoga before that, and now I sometimes combine the two.

I did a 6-week class last year for mindfulness to deal with anxiety; it was wonderful.

My children and I sometimes do the meditations from "Sitting Still Like a Frog"   :)

I would love to do a class. My brain is hyper even if my body is not. 

Not a formal meditation by any means but I love to lay down on our driveway after a run or walk (or just needing peace) and staring up at the leaves as they rustle in the wind. I try to empty my mind and just breathe and be. It is one of my favorite "hobbies" Does that count?

From my what I've read beginner status, I think it does. I like to sit on my deck and look up, but the electrical lines to the house are right over my head. I need to move my chair around so I don't see them. 

I'm trying to.  It's hard, and I'm impatient (which is why I'm trying!)

My brain is impatient, it's like having 200 tab on your computer open at once, and who know which one my thoughts will shoot down at any given moment. 

I started meditating regularly about 2 months ago... before that I would say I was an inconsistent meditator.

It has made a *tremendous* difference in my outlook on life. I was in a bad place two months ago... much better place now.

Some things I have loved lately:

The Coursera Course "Buddhism and Modern Psychology" by Robert Wright. There are about 6-7 hours of video lectures (maybe a little more...) that you could probably sign up for now... the course is wrapping up but you have time to sneak in the lectures and at least get a look at the reading resources. Even without the reading the course is *fantastic* --- and I believe they are leaving the lectures up for a couple of weeks.

Another resource I recently found is the "Audio Dharma" Podcast on ITunes. The talks by Andrea Fella have been particularly helpful to me. I think you can download/listen directly from their website as well: http://www.audiodharma.org/

Oh, I"ll have to check that out. Coursera and I have a love/hate relationship.. I never have time to do a class while it's in session it seems. I'll check out the podcasts as well. Thanks. 

I'm a beginner. I like the books of Thich Nhat Hanh.

I read his book Living Buddha, Living Christ last year for a different reason. I pulled it back out during my research and found some gems I totally skipped over last time. 

I try to do both, but I'm not consistent.  Both are something I turn to in times of stress, but tend to forget about when life is good or gets too busy.  Mindfulness is especially helpful (and challenging) for me, as I've always tended to rush even when I don't need to.

I get that, rush, get done, move on. My cat is one of my biggest hindrances, as he seems to know when I want to do something quietly and chooses that time to bug me. 

I have a hard time sitting still and doing nothing, so I meditate while I'm walking. I aim for an hour a day minimum, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

I've been doing this for several years, 10+ anyway, and I've developed my own way. I do it for spiritual reasons mainly but health is a factor too.

I need to get back into walking. I live in a small town and it's great to have sidewalks, but I seem to zone out and watch the scenery more than trying to be mindful. I should approach it from the mindful perspective and see if there is a difference. 

The book Healing Mind, Healthy Woman, though aimed at dealing with women's health issues and infertility in particular, is a great resource. The things I learned (and the friends I made) in the mind-body program I attended help me now perhaos even more than they did then. The relaxation and mindfulness practice help me with all sorts of life situations. Having a resource that is supportive of Western medicine is invaluable when using it to help deal with health issues.

Posting before reading (but I will go back). Elegantlion, this is another area in which we seem to be cyber-sisters! Add it to the list.

Yes, I practice meditation and mindfulness. As you know, I practice a 12 step program (it will be 23 years in May). When my faith changed radicially, I felt I needed to do more/something of the other spiritual tools to replace the traditional idea of prayer.

I downloaded the Great Courses series on Mindfulness meditation. I had signed up for a class, in person, but then had the car accident. I don't feel comfortable driving to Houston right know regularly or "voluntarily".

I meditate daily, usually in the morning and sometimes also in the evening. FWIW, I did a weekend on "Centering Prayer" before my deconversion, and that was a good "set up" for the mindfulness to come a couple of years later. Learning that I don't have to be "productive" helps. And learning to let go of the expecation of insight, certain feelings, or a "connectedness" helped.

When I ran treatment, I did some research on meditation and the support of it is compelling.

That said...........I don't follow the advice *exactly*. And here is why (this is the first time I've said this outloud). I've had ENOUGH bosses and things that control my life. My first husband. The custody battle. Second husband's illness. Jobs. I am done having "bosses", particularly male, tell me how to behave, love, live, or meditate. So, while I take a lot of the advice from the Great Courses and stuff I've read, I don't follow it exactly. I sit how I want to sit. I often concentrate on *something* rather than nothing. I keep a sticky notepad nearby and jot down thoughts - this helps get them out of my head and I return to my breath, the phrase, the question, the listening (whatever I am doing that day) immediately. None of this is "pure" and I am sure I'd get called out for lack of discipline. But you know what? "They" can kiss my fat white ass because no one will ever again tell me exactly how my spirituality should play out. :)

Every morning, I read these:

http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Devotional-Daily-Prayers-Blessings/dp/0517704137/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398653272&sr=1-6&keywords=caitlin+matthews

http://www.amazon.com/365-Tao-Meditations-Ming-Dao-Deng-ebook/dp/B00CREFHDM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398653319&sr=1-1&keywords=tao+365

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Awakening-Having-Being-Present-ebook/dp/B005NBKVDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398653691&sr=1-1&keywords=the+book+of+awakening

I enjoy the second 2 often, but *really* like the style and words in the first one (Celtic devotional).

I often use these to inspire what I concentrate on/think about during my meditaiton (which I know is not strictly mindful). I have noticed an clear difference in my life/thinking/stress level since regularly practicing.

I read his book Living Buddha, Living Christ last year for a different reason. I pulled it back out during my research and found some gems I totally skipped over last time. 

I read the thread. :) I am reading this book now, for the first time.

Very sporadically. And as a complete newb, so I pretty much suck at it. I do have some guided meditation apps on my iphone and another couple guided meditations from iTunes U. I need to work on consistency...in all areas of my life. I am working on it with the help of my Bullet Journal one baby step at a time. Remembered vitamins 7 days in a row now!! :P

I want to come back to this thread and check out books and links after vacation, though. Mindfulness and meditation is high up on my "I wanna" list.

I've been practicing for about 12 years for health reasons, and, yes, I think it's effective. I like compassion meditation, focus meditation and recently, bare awareness.

You might like reading books/articles by Richard Davidson, Dan Goleman, Dan Siegel and Jeffrey Schwartz. Most of them also have websites.

I"m reading "Success through Stillness" by Russell Simmons (singer) I like his approach to just quieting your mind.

I started doing some mediation when I took up yoga to help my recovery. I'm sporadic with all good things like yoga, exercise, and mindfulness.

I think 'zoning out' while walking is a form of mediation...

But you know what? "They" can kiss my fat white ass because no one will ever again tell me exactly how my spirituality should play out.

Joanne, I have to say, I totally cracked up at this...outspokeness. :lol: We are in different places, spiritually, but I wish the very best for you.

I have not practiced meditation in the Eastern sense, but I have done silence as prayer, and it is effective for me. I have also practiced the Jesus Prayer, and the Anglican rosary, both forms of contemplative prayer. I find them beautiful.

As far as walking meditation, I have done the Labyrinth; not necessarily Christian, or, perhaps more accurately, not "owned" by Christianity, and therefore may be more accessible to you, OP.

Yes. I started as a way to deal with the panic attacks from dealing with you know whom. I continue with my more "mental health" ones to deal with my Mother's relapse and Narcisstic behaviors (or more like not deal with her behaviors ) ;) and have discovered more spiritual mindfulness practices through EO. 

On a separate note: we have visitors coming from our old stomping grounds and I already am feeling anxious. Months to go and it is still hard. 

Yes. I have been practicing since I was 16-over 20 years.

At times, I have kept a regular practice. At times I fall away. But it is always there when I need it.

IMO, it's a spiritual practice which benefits health and mental wellness. All three are intertwined. You can't separate them.

I like Pema Chodron, but she delves much, much deeper than a simple mindfulness practice.

The book Healing Mind, Healthy Woman, though aimed at dealing with women's health issues and infertility in particular, is a great resource. The things I learned (and the friends I made) in the mind-body program I attended help me now perhaos even more than they did then. The relaxation and mindfulness practice help me with all sorts of life situations. Having a resource that is supportive of Western medicine is invaluable when using it to help deal with health issues.

I found MBSR through my research. From what I understand, it was developed with the medical component out of the roots of Buddhism. It's interesting to see how much is out there and what researchers have been doing. The Mayo Clinic had a newsletter on mindfulness last October. 

Posting before reading (but I will go back). Elegantlion, this is another area in which we seem to be cyber-sisters! Add it to the list.

Yes, I practice meditation and mindfulness. As you know, I practice a 12 step program (it will be 23 years in May). When my faith changed radicially, I felt I needed to do more/something of the other spiritual tools to replace the traditional idea of prayer.

I downloaded the Great Courses series on Mindfulness meditation. I had signed up for a class, in person, but then had the car accident. I don't feel comfortable driving to Houston right know regularly or "voluntarily".

I meditate daily, usually in the morning and sometimes also in the evening. FWIW, I did a weekend on "Centering Prayer" before my deconversion, and that was a good "set up" for the mindfulness to come a couple of years later. Learning that I don't have to be "productive" helps. And learning to let go of the expecation of insight, certain feelings, or a "connectedness" helped.

When I ran treatment, I did some research on meditation and the support of it is compelling.

That said...........I don't follow the advice *exactly*. And here is why (this is the first time I've said this outloud). I've had ENOUGH bosses and things that control my life. My first husband. The custody battle. Second husband's illness. Jobs. I am done having "bosses", particularly male, tell me how to behave, love, live, or meditate. So, while I take a lot of the advice from the Great Courses and stuff I've read, I don't follow it exactly. I sit how I want to sit. I often concentrate on *something* rather than nothing. I keep a sticky notepad nearby and jot down thoughts - this helps get them out of my head and I return to my breath, the phrase, the question, the listening (whatever I am doing that day) immediately. None of this is "pure" and I am sure I'd get called out for lack of discipline. But you know what? "They" can kiss my fat white ass because no one will ever again tell me exactly how my spirituality should play out. :)

Every morning, I read these:

http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Devotional-Daily-Prayers-Blessings/dp/0517704137/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398653272&sr=1-6&keywords=caitlin+matthews

http://www.amazon.com/365-Tao-Meditations-Ming-Dao-Deng-ebook/dp/B00CREFHDM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398653319&sr=1-1&keywords=tao+365

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Awakening-Having-Being-Present-ebook/dp/B005NBKVDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398653691&sr=1-1&keywords=the+book+of+awakening

I enjoy the second 2 often, but *really* like the style and words in the first one (Celtic devotional).

I often use these to inspire what I concentrate on/think about during my meditaiton (which I know is not strictly mindful). I have noticed an clear difference in my life/thinking/stress level since regularly practicing.

Ironically, I was thinking of you as I researched some of  this.  I knew this was probably something you had explored. I even looked up what it requires to become a MBSR teacher. Thanks for the book recommendations. Now that I'm about done with my semester, I might pick up something besides a textbook. 

In theory I do :)

When my practice matches that theory, life is much better.

And this is what I hope for. I can't change much of my life, so I have to learn to deal. 

Very sporadically. And as a complete newb, so I pretty much suck at it. I do have some guided meditation apps on my iphone and another couple guided meditations from iTunes U. I need to work on consistency...in all areas of my life. I am working on it with the help of my Bullet Journal one baby step at a time. Remembered vitamins 7 days in a row now!! :p

I want to come back to this thread and check out books and links after vacation, though. Mindfulness and meditation is high up on my "I wanna" list.

Oh yeah, I'm terrible about taking vitamins. Moving meditation into my journal should help. Great idea. 

I've been practicing for about 12 years for health reasons, and, yes, I think it's effective. I like compassion meditation, focus meditation and recently, bare awareness.

You might like reading books/articles by Richard Davidson, Dan Goleman, Dan Siegel and Jeffrey Schwartz. Most of them also have websites.

Thank you for the names, I will check those out. 

I"m reading "Success through Stillness" by Russell Simmons (singer) I like his approach to just quieting your mind.

I started doing some mediation when I took up yoga to help my recovery. I'm sporadic with all good things like yoga, exercise, and mindfulness.

I think 'zoning out' while walking is a form of mediation...

I need to dig out my yoga dvd too. It's very calming. I'll check out that book too, thank you. 

Joanne, I have to say, I totally cracked up at this...outspokeness. :lol: We are in different places, spiritually, but I wish the very best for you.

I have not practiced meditation in the Eastern sense, but I have done silence as prayer, and it is effective for me. I have also practiced the Jesus Prayer, and the Anglican rosary, both forms of contemplative prayer. I find them beautiful.

As far as walking meditation, I have done the Labyrinth; not necessarily Christian, or, perhaps more accurately, not "owned" by Christianity, and therefore may be more accessible to you, OP.

Living Buddha, Living Christ was an interesting parallel between Buddhist practices and things like christian contemplation. What is the Labyrinth? All I know is a David Bowie movie and a Sting CD. 

Yes. I started as a way to deal with the panic attacks from dealing with you know whom. I continue with my more "mental health" ones to deal with my Mother's relapse and Narcisstic behaviors (or more like not deal with her behaviors ) ;) and have discovered more spiritual mindfulness practices through EO. 

On a separate note: we have visitors coming from our old stomping grounds and I already am feeling anxious. Months to go and it is still hard. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug: I have so many thoughts about this, but I'll just pray for peace.  :grouphug:

I meditate on the mysteries of the rosary more or less daily. It's not for mental health or anxiety relief, but it does actually help with that.

This was something I kind of knew when I started my research, but much of the mindfulness such as MBSR is done outside of a spiritual nametag. That leaves people free to continue on whatever spiritual path they were already taking. I appreciate you sharing how the time of contemplation works for you. 

Yes. I have been practicing since I was 16-over 20 years.

At times, I have kept a regular practice. At times I fall away. But it is always there when I need it.

IMO, it's a spiritual practice which benefits health and mental wellness. All three are intertwined. You can't separate them.

I like Pema Chodron, but she delves much, much deeper than a simple mindfulness practice.

Thanks for the name, I'll look into her. As my spirituality is still sitting on the fence, I like the idea of meditation as part of wellness at this moment. That may change though, who knows. 

I appreciate this discussion. I see the peace of people who actually take time for contemplation - in whatever form that manifests - and I think I'd like that slice of the pie, just to sit quietly. We've been watching Cosmos and it blows my mind every time to think about the vastness of the universe. Turning that inward, I get blown away by how intricate our bodies are and how little time we take to reboot ourselves. 

I wish I could say I'm consistent in this, but I' m not. I'll do well with practice for perhaps several weeks and then I'll get busy with other things and get out of the habit. I do think it is very effective for helping me to be a calm, loving, open person, when

I practice. I used some ideas from the book " Essential Spirituality". The Lovingkindness Meditation has been very helpful for me. I remember one period when I was practicing daily, I did notice I was far less easily annoyed. I was in a difficult period with one of my kids, but I believe this continued focus on intending to be " gentle, kin, calm and loving" did make it so.

I wish I could say I'm consistent in this, but I' m not. I'll do well with practice for perhaps several weeks and then I'll get busy with other things and get out of the habit. I do think it is very effective for helping me to be a calm, loving, open person, when

I practice. I used some ideas from the book " Essential Spirituality". The Lovingkindness Meditation has been very helpful for me. I remember one period when I was practicing daily, I did notice I was far less easily annoyed. I was in a difficult period with one of my kids, but I believe this continued focus on intending to be " gentle, kin, calm and loving" did make it so.

I read one report that showed people even becoming more compassionate toward spiders, not killing ones they might have previously. That might be the real test for me in being gentle, kind, and calm.  :coolgleamA: I hate spiders. 

I'll look into that book, thank you. 

I read one report that showed people even becoming more compassionate toward spiders, not killing ones they might have previously. That might be the real test for me in being gentle, kind, and calm. :coolgleamA: I hate spiders.

I'll look into that book, thank you.

Okay, I'm sure this will just sound weird, but this happened to me with house flies! I remember having nearly an epiphany where I thought, " is it really necessary for me to smash a fly just because it flew past me in its day?" Obviously, there could be instances where killing insects is necessary, but it was interesting that I realized a fly simply existing inside my house was not automatically one such instance.