Menu

Do you consider people who live in mobile homes to be white trash?

Luanne

Mobile home/trailer living  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider people who live in mobile homes to be white trash?

• Absolutely not
    • Sometimes
    • Always
    • Other

We live close to a mobile home park and something my husband said has always stuck with me. "Just because the people living here may be low income doesn't make them worth any less or bad people". Bad people in this instance meaning anything less than honest and hardworking. 

It really started me thinking about socio-economic bias. 

Exactly this-people are not trash, no matter who they are or their circumstances.

:iagree: People are not trash, whatever else they might be. They might be slobs, druggies, jerks, creeps or whatever, but none of us are trash.

I've been called white trash before, and it's an even nastier thing to say in my dialect.

I don't think you can make generalizations about individuals by where they live.

Sometimes generalizations are true, though, in a statistical sense.  In this case, I would say it's related to the idea of white trash or a poor underclass, particularly one that is without prospects for social mobility, is poorly educated and uncultured, and so on.  I think a lot of people would also associate it with particular political views or in some cultural/entertainment interests.  Monster trucks, not live theatre, that sort of thing.  What I've seen in terms of statistics gives some support to some of these perceptions.

In my experience, where I live that idea of the uncultured poor is associated with public housing projects, and cheap apartment buildings and co-ops, in urban areas, and with trailer parks or run down trailers in suburban and rural areas.

Trailer Park Boys is filmed in my town, so clearly that idea as some resonance for people.

I know it is a zombie thread, but I was just talking about trailers last night.  I absolutely don't paint someone trashy just because they live in a trailer!  That is just so ridiculous I can't even....

But having grown up in tornado alley I would never ever live in one unless i had no other options.  And they don't usually hold their value...they are more like a car in that they are depreciating not appreciating....but sometimes, just like when people rent, they have their reasons for choosing that at any given time in their life.  

• Like 1

In Florida plenty of retirees live in nice mobile home parks. Some even have their own golf courses.

So, no.

This. My ex In laws live in one. Very nice. My grandparents did for a bit as well, and it was also a golf course community. Plus a pool, etc. 

I will say...we did tease MIL a bit....she also at the time had just gotten a job as a crossing guard, and talked about the "corner" she worked at. So we would tease (good naturally) that she now lived in a double wide and worked a street corner :)

But really, to me a trailer park = old people neighborhood. 

I know this is an old thread and one that I missed the first time.  I think WT is a horrible slur and would not use it.  In different parts of the country, trailer parks and trailers mean different things anyway.  As others have said, in both CA and FL, I have seen very nice looking trailer parks.  Here in my city and many cities I have lived in, all the parks look bad and they aren't great places to go to neither. But even though there are generally more registered sex offenders, drug abusers, etc. in those places, some of the people there are just poor unfortunates. Individually parked trailers here are generally of two varieties- oh, and my city does not allow an individual trailer to be parked in the city limits- but outside my city, some are housing for poor people and some are housing for people who are going to be constructing or are already constructing homes.  

Are people in mobile homes generally of a lower class than mine- yes.  But so what?  That doesn't mean anyone should be casting slurs on them.  OTOH, if anyone has the resources to live anywhere else- I would encourage them to live in a regular house or apartment.  Trailers are not only unsafe in hurricanes and tornadoes. they are massively unsafe with regards to fires and those happen much more frequently.  So I would never recommend trailers to anyone I knew.

• Like 1