Menu

Anyone have a capsule wardrobe

Excelsior! Academy

Yes, I think I have that. I used this book to get going:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B9MAID2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1397061439&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40

Mine started as an aversion to doing laundry. :-) In order to keep the laundry down, I wanted to pare down my wardrobe. The book helped me focus on the key pieces and colors. I made a list of the necessary pieces. I kept what I wanted from my current wardrobe and got rid of some stuff. Then I made a list of what I wanted to buy and slowly bought a few things. Easy enough. I'm a pretty basic kind of gal though. If you are more adventurous with your wardrobe, you can always get a little crazy with your accessories - shoes, purses, jewelry, scarves, belts, etc. But, keeping the actual clothes simple and basic is helpful.

Hth

I think I do... As least a winter one. It started mostly because I had my third baby and after almost two years I still didn't fit into any of my previous clothes. (Well, I can wear some shirts).

I started with the basics. A nice pair of slacks for church. 2 pair of jeans. And then the sweats I always have, which is what I wear most days.

I have several shirts but added one black, one grey, and one tan cardigan for cold weather layering.

Plus black shoes and tennis shoes.

I am not sure what to do for summer though.

I was introduced to the capsule idea last fall. I hang out at youlookfab. com forums for fun now.

I did really well with a two pairs of slacks, several coordinating shirts capsule through the winter. I loved adding my faux leather jacket for some youthful edge.

Now to work on a couple of summer work capsules...

I have a capsule wardrobe for work.  I have: two pairs of fine wool trousers, one grey, one black; a pair of black patent leather brogues and a pair of black knee-length boots; four knit tops, similar to this, but in grey or black; four high-necked camisoles that I wear under the knit tops - they are in the colour range purple, grey, mauve and turquoise; two necklaces - one purple, the other a mixture of purple and turquoise; three cardigans - one purple, one turquoise and one black with purple flowers.

That's it.  Getting dressed is very easy and I always feel pulled together.

L

I am not sure what to do for summer though.

If you don't work, I think the key is in creating a uniform for yourself - just like your sweats in the winter. For me, I typically wear shorts in the summer. I buy them from Gap, Old Navy, or Lands End. I have a few pairs in varying colors - khaki, navy, gray. I like the more tailored flat front type. That way I can wear them around the house or be presentable to go out and bring a kid to an activity. I mostly wear t-shirts or a blouse. I can dress them up a little with a cardigan and ballet flats or go casual with flip flops.

I would like to work towards this.  I have 2 pairs of dress pants and then several tops/sweaters to mix and match with those and 2 styles of shoes that match with it all so I sorta do this for dress clothes.

Next I want to do this for more casual but dressier clothes---things to wear out with friends, to the doctor, to church meetings, etc.  Maybe nice jeans with a few nicer mix and match tops, etc.

My barn clothes are all basic and mix and match..........does that count??????

Me! I've been planning a blog post on it forever, but it's a bit of a large topic to cover. I have a funky sense of style, so my pieces Aren't the usual bland ones we typically think of. Anyone can do it.

In fact, mine has gotten a tad unwieldy. I'm going to have to purge a bit soon. 

Mine consists of long and short skirts, black tights, capris, a-style undershirts, layerable tops, cardigans, shrugs, and shawls. In the winter I wear more layers, in the summer, fewer. Everything works with everything. Easy.

If you don't work, I think the key is in creating a uniform for yourself - just like your sweats in the winter. For me, I typically wear shorts in the summer. I buy them from Gap, Old Navy, or Lands End. I have a few pairs in varying colors - khaki, navy, gray. I like the more tailored flat front type. That way I can wear them around the house or be presentable to go out and bring a kid to an activity. I mostly wear t-shirts or a blouse. I can dress them up a little with a cardigan and ballet flats or go casual with flip flops.

I like this.
My problem is more that I want every part of my body covered up. I can only hope my body (arms! legs! tummy!) will be in better shape/looking better by next summer! Also, I am super picky about shoes.