Menu

Anyone watching 19 Kids and Counting now?

Mom2Two

I think they're genuine, nice people. I think this is their ministry. I think they're in it for the money and attention. I think they're make great neighbors. I think they are part of a Christian movement that I find horrible and damaging. I think the whole thing is complicated and while I think they're nice people, I'm not convinced they're a good model for anyone to be patterning tier faith our family life on.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when you have that many kids, you start running out of names, particularly when you insist on all of the names starting with the same letter. ;)

Except that they haven't used Julia or any of the related names. I'd name my daughter Julia before Jinger for sure.

Except that they haven't used Julia or any of the related names. I'd name my daughter Julia before Jinger for sure.

My problem with Jinger is the spelling. I know it's pronounced like Ginger, but whenever I read it, it still looks like it should rhyme with "singer."

Now that you mentioned it, I'm surprised they never used Julia. Maybe it was the name of one of Jim Bob's old girlfriends or something. ;)

And before that they were making it just fine, they saved up enough to build their own house debt free, Jim Bob has been wise with investments, he owns property that a cell phone tower sits on...they were doing just fine.

A big part of how they manage things financially is by abusing tax exemptions that were intended to go to REAL houses of worship, not single-family "house churches". What seminary has their "pastor" gotten his training from?

But as somebody who does wear hijab, I will not deny that there can be enormous societal pressure to wear it. It's not true for every single Muslim women or girl…but it is true for some. It's no different than if I am a lawyer, it's considered appropriate for me to wear a suit. Sure, I could wear something else, but there are cultural expectations regarding dress for lawyers. And there can be enormous cultural expectations regarding religious dress as well.

In Muslim society (and no I do not agree with this), women are judged by many based on whether or not they wear hijab. Just as non-Muslims put way too much emphasis on it, and many non-Muslims see women who wear hijab as being extreme or super conservative Muslims or not wanting to conform to Western standards….. Muslims view women/girls who don't wear hijab is being "not Muslim enough", not willing to be publicly Muslim thus ashamed of their faith (of course…said by men who rarely stand out (eye roll)), being too Western (which is a way of assuming that she will date, have premarital sex, etc.)… etc.

Having said all this, all of my kids (boys and girls) have played with my hijab…worn it…pretended to be Mommy. They see lots of women at the mosque in hijab…so that's what they think of as a grown Muslim woman right now. (They see non-hijab wearing Muslim women too, but more tend to wear it when my kids are seeing them as women do cover their heads for prayer, regardless if they wear it "in real life.")

I am sure in Gothard circles there is enormous social pressure to conform appearance wise, especially as there is a submissive aspect to some of the teachings regarding women. Many girls grow up seeing their Moms and other women with hair styled like that….they think they look nice (yes, my kids think I look beautiful in hijab…and my daughter tries to pick out pretty hijabs for her fashion-challenged Mom)…so they imitate them. And they also probably see how girls who "rebel" with perhaps a nice bob are treated, talked about.

Most Muslim women in America will insist that hijab is their choice….but there are definite social/cultural implications that lead to that choice.

And if you want to know the reasons why I wear hijab…it's a whole different thread… ;)

Wayyyy of topic unsami, but can I just say I love and respect your approach and very logical views on teaching cultural differences to children. I really wish more mothers took your loving approach to religious/cultural differences, not just in relation to this thread, but in general...

A big part of how they manage things financially is by abusing tax exemptions that were intended to go to REAL houses of worship, not single-family "house churches". What seminary has their "pastor" gotten his training from?

Have the Duggars said they do that? I had never heard that about them, but again, I get most of my Duggar news from this forum, so I'm definitely no expert on their financial situation.

Have the Duggars said they do that? I had never heard that about them, but again, I get most of my Duggar news from this forum, so I'm definitely no expert on their financial situation.

They have not admitted that, but their tax information is public. It is very easy to find, and that IS what they do.

They have not admitted that, but their tax information is public. It is very easy to find, and that IS what they do.

Hmmmm.... I am not looking this up right now but I thought it was the opposite. People online accused them of this due to their home church but public tax records showed they paid taxes as normal. No church exemption. I thought it was was an Internet rumor proved wrong. I don't even know how to look these things up. :P

I think they're genuine, nice people. I think this is their ministry. I think they're in it for the money and attention. I think they're make great neighbors. I think they are part of a Christian movement that I find horrible and damaging. I think the whole thing is complicated and while I think they're nice people, I'm not convinced they're a good model for anyone to be patterning tier faith our family life on.

I completely agree.

Hmmmm.... I am not looking this up right now but I thought it was the opposite. People online accused them of this due to their home church but public tax records showed they paid taxes as normal. No church exemption. I thought it was was an Internet rumor proved wrong. I don't even know how to look these things up. :P

Thanks for calling me out. I looked it up again, and you are right. The Duggars used to home church, but there is a lot of jumping through hoops to get actual tax-exempt status and it was proven as an internet lie. From the show, they now attend a small church in an actual (non-home) building.

Thanks for calling me out. I looked it up again, and you are right. The Duggars used to home church, but there is a lot of jumping through hoops to get actual tax-exempt status and it was proven as an internet lie. From the show, they now attend a small church in an actual (non-home) building.

Thanks to both of you for clearing it up! :)

Cool.  I was looking it up but only finding other message boards discussing it ;)  I think I found a tax record too but didnt know how to read what it meant.  

I find them fascinating and do enjoy watching them most of the time.  I of course dont agree with them theologically or on many other things but I do have a big family so we have a bit more in common with them then most.  I most enjoyed the earlier shows that showed the "how they do it" stuff cause Im still scrambling to figure this big family stuff out. (oldest is 17, about to birth our tenth, ya Im a little behind :crying: ) I hate reading about the ATI/Gothard stuff and wish it wasnt true because they seem like such nice people.  I just met an LDS missionary from that area and he confirmed that all his interactions with them have always been positive. 

But some of the stuff on the show is just awkward and makes me uncomfortable.  I havent seen the new shows but thought Joshs courtship/proposal/wedding was just very awkward for lack of a better word.  Thinking the new shows and the girls courtship might be even worse just makes me shudder  :huh:

My problem with Jinger is the spelling. I know it's pronounced like Ginger, but whenever I read it, it still looks like it should rhyme with "singer."

Now that you mentioned it, I'm surprised they never used Julia. Maybe it was the name of one of Jim Bob's old girlfriends or something. ;)

I vote they name the 20th kid Jesus.

I bet they ruled out Julia because it's the feminine form of Julius, as in Caesar, and I doubt they'd go there due to their religion.

I'm sorry, but what could they possibly have cut out that would explain JB doggy-style humping his wife in public in front of their daughter and her boyfriend? Under what condition would that be understandable and okay?

I haven't been watching the past season or two, but caught up a bit lately and am watching the new season.  I missed that episode, since I'm just getting in to the groove of watching again, I had forgotten it was coming on.  Anyway, I can't wait to see it.  My daughter saw the commercial and said he was humping her from behind and she was shocked and disgusted.  I'll have to see the context.  I'm surprised they didn't cut that part out.  I have mixed feelings about their family.  There's a lot I don't like, but some stuff I do like and they're interesting to watch.

I wonder if the boys who are courting their daughters have to be the Gothard followers as well, does anyone know?  I didn't read this entire thread...

I bet they ruled out Julia because it's the feminine form of Julius, as in Caesar, and I doubt they'd go there due to their religion.

This made me chuckle . . .I didn't know that Christians weren't supposed to use the name Julia.  It could possibly be that they just don't like the name :)

All of my kids have Biblical names which started out by accident when we named our first two Benjamin and Rebecca.  After that we started picking names with more significance but I wonder how many people hear our line-up and wonder how Rebecca got into the family name rotation as she's not one of the more heroic characters in the Bible.

OK, I didn't want to ask, but people keep referencing Jim Bob humping Michelle from behind and it seems so weird and out of character, so I'm wondering if there is a video clip of it anywhere. I really don't want to sit through the whole episode (assuming I can find it On Demand or on the TLC website,) but I have a feeling that what I'm picturing in my head is nothing like what really happened.

OK, I didn't want to ask, but people keep referencing Jim Bob humping Michelle from behind and it seems so weird and out of character, so I'm wondering if there is a video clip of it anywhere. I really don't want to sit through the whole episode (assuming I can find it On Demand or on the TLC website,) but I have a feeling that what I'm picturing in my head is nothing like what really happened.

If you find it, can you tell us about it? I'm super curious too, but I'll spare myself the eye bleach if you're going to take one for the team...

If you find it, can you tell us about it? I'm super curious too, but I'll spare myself the eye bleach if you're going to take one for the team...

LOL.  +1

I generally like the Duggars, though I don't watch the show any more (and haven't for years... just lost interest).  I can see JB having one of those over-sharing, extrovert personalities... and doing something totally inappropriate and only realizing later how it looked.  I have a friend like that...  :001_rolleyes:  

But I generally think they present themselves well...

The no-debt thing is great, but I can't help but wonder if one day something is finally going to set Michelle off and it's going to be a Duggar Armageddon. ;)

I'm sure it will be a Very Special Episode...

(I can't imagine any mother of all those kids staying that calm and pleasant without a lot of medication, but maybe that's just me! :D)

Duggargeddon

(Autocorrect wanted this to be Duggar gelded, which is just awesome. :lol:)

Humpageddon

This made me chuckle . . .I didn't know that Christians weren't supposed to use the name Julia.  It could possibly be that they just don't like the name :)

All of my kids have Biblical names which started out by accident when we named our first two Benjamin and Rebecca.  After that we started picking names with more significance but I wonder how many people hear our line-up and wonder how Rebecca got into the family name rotation as she's not one of the more heroic characters in the Bible.

Totally off topic--but our kids have accidental Biblical names, too. Everyone thinks we named them OT names bc dh was in seminary when the first 2 were born. Nope, every time there were non-Biblical names heavily in the mix. It makes me laugh.

I almost..almost took one for the team. Found one still shot of him helping Michelle with her golf stance and giggling like mad.

Then there were numerous comments from individuals who had watched the episode and described what was absolutely a humping demonstration jimbob on Michelle in front of Jill and Derrick.

I'm sorry, but there isn't enough brain bleach for me. I'm a weanie and willing to admit it!

I have to believe that for a couple so heavily invested in rigid modesty and sexual purity notions, that this was ratings stunt. I feel very bad for Jill and Derick because this would have been embarassing enough in private, but acted out on t.v. ? Run away and elope young people before you get more Eeeeeewwwwwww lecutres with visual aids.

Seriousy, if they've been brought in the purity movement and they already know only hand holding and side hugs are allowed, then it doesn't take a lot of brain power for them to assume that humping and other forms of contact are off limits. Since Ben and Jessa have not declared an engagement yet, it begs the question, "What highly inappropriate behavior will these parents engage in on camera to keep the ratings up!"

I predict an end of season engagement announcement for Jessa and Ben with a double wedding for next season.