Menu

I got my hair cut and the frizzies

Night Elf

I had 7 inches taken off. It's now just at my shoulders. I wanted a cut that would still allow me to wear a pony tail, but I don't like it. It's too stumpy. But that's my fault because my stylist cut it exactly where I told her to cut it. Well, it feels better and is much easier to wash now. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I just wish it wasn't big hair. It's frizzy because I towel dry it. I don't think I'd have the patience to drip dry. I'd have to keep a towel wrapped around my shoulders for a long time to catch all the water falling. I wonder if it would really make a difference though. I also think I need some kind of product to reduce the frizzies. Any suggestions?

I have curly hair that is prone to the frizzies.  I have never drip-dried my hair.  I would just be too cold (even in summer.)  I comb conditioner through it in the shower and rinse with cooler water.  I squeeze the water out of my hair then wrap it in a towel (no special towel - I tried a special microfiber towel and didn't notice a difference.)  After about 5 minutes, I take the towel off and put a little bit of Argan Oil (pure oil, not an oil mixed with a silicone product.)   I work that through my hair (starting at the bottom so that top doesn't look greasy.)  After combing that through, I let it air dry and don't touch it.  I sometimes use a little bit of Aquage curl defining gel if it is humid outside or if I am going to use the diffuser.  If it gets fuzzy later, I may put a tiny amount of argan oil on my hand or a little coconut oil that I had used to moisturize my hands then smooth it over my hair to calm the fuzzies. 

I squeeze water out with an old t-shirt, without rubbing or wringing - think "gently pressing."  Lately I've been using the blow dryer briefly, with a diffuser, just on my roots (upside-down) on warm, without moving it around while air is blowing - this jump-starts drying so total drying time is half or less than it would be for drip-dry, though we live in a dry climate.

Product-wise, I pretty much follow a Curly Girl approach, which I think would work as well with straight hair prone to frizzing (no sulfates/no silicones, only natural shampoo/conditioner, and DevaCurl gel with either Shea Moisture curling smoothie or restorative spray on top of that, all while wet).

Have you considered blow drying it?  If I let my hair air-dry it goes crazy and does its own uncontrollable thing.

My hair is naturally wavy and I like it when it's air dried. When I blow dry it, it's straight. But either way, it's big hair. 

Have you ever tried a diffuser on your blow-dryer; they work pretty good for wavy or curly hair.

Wen makes pretty good hair products, and I also like Redken's line. 

My hair is naturally wavy and I like it when it's air dried. When I blow dry it, it's straight. But either way, it's big hair. 

I did a couple things. I use healthy, sexy hair's (that's a brand) argan oil treatment. I gently squeeze all the water out with my towel. Then I bought a REALLY good ion hair dryer. I allow my hair to air dry for about 30 mnutes then I blow it out. IT doesn't take more than 5 minutes to blow it out. It helps my hair to stay silky instead of frizzy. Use a round brush with natural bristles to shape the hair into the loose waves. The texture of your hair sounds very similar to mine. I don't brush straight down when I blow dry. I just let the waves roll around the hairbrush.

See if your library has the book Curly Girls by Lorraine Massey. Changed the entire way I handle my hair and now I have curls instead if wavy frizz. I don't do everything exactly the way they say, but what I do does make a difference, namely never brush, never use traditional shampoo, leave last application of conditioner in, use a cloth diaper to squeeze dry (no rubbing!) and either air dry or use a diffuser while scrunching gently. I also use bobbie pins to lift hair at the part. There's more to it than that though so I do recommend the read for a different perspective on handling wavy/curly hair.

ETA -- Your towel drying is definitely one of the causes of the frizz.  If you stopped doing that, and used a diffuser to scrunch dry with some gel, I bet you'd see an improvement. The idea is to disturb the wave pattern as little as possible once you're done cleansing and conditioning (and even then; I just use my fingertips to rub my scalp; I don't mess with the length of my hair).

You don't literally need to drip dry. Give your hair a squeeze with an old t-shirt before you put gel in and comb it out. I use an afro-pick to detangle, then let it dry, but it's not literally dripping. If I want to speed things along, I use a diffuser, but air drying is best.

..Then I bought a REALLY good ion hair dryer.

...Use a round brush with natural bristles ..

Please link your fav products. :)

Thanks everyone. This thread has been very helpful, esp. the tip about using a soft, old t-shirt to dry hair!

This is the hair goo that I use; just a dab is all that I need. Less than the size of a dime.

http://www.amazon.com/Sexy-Hair-Healthy-Renewal-Treatment/dp/B002IULDP6

This is the hair dryer. I actually got it at goodwill for 4 dollars. Mine's an older model but pretty much the same.

http://www.soap.com/p/conair-ionic-ceramic-cord-keeper-hairdryer-red-193023?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_term=CCP-020&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1323132466&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla&noappbanner=true

I actually like my hair now that I know how to take care of it properly

Oh..oh...another thing.

Other than blow drying, I quit using a brush on my hair. I use a very wide toothed comb. Makes a big difference in the frizz. Very often though, I just run my fingers through my hair.

Brush, very similar to mine

http://www.soap.com/p/conair-ionic-ceramic-cord-keeper-hairdryer-red-193023?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_term=CCP-020&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1323132466&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla&noappbanner=true

Comb very similar to mine,.  Mine is a goody, came in a 2 pack for just a few dollars,

http://shop.avon.com/product.aspx?newdept=&s=AV_GGL_PLA&c=iProspect&otc=03589190_Children_bathBody&bnd=&pf_id=43779&level1_id=300&level2_id=303&pdept_id=347&dept_id=830

It may sound like i spend a lot of time and money on my hair but I don't. That thing of hair goo has lasted like 6 months. Like I said, my dryer came from Goodwill. I spend less than 15 minutes styling on my wash days, and like 5 minutes on my no-wash days. (I wash every other day.)

I wrap my hair in one of DH's plain white t-shirts. Terry cloth towels tend to ruffle the hair cuticle & can cause frizz.

I use dh's old white t-shirts, comb/pick through a small amount of gel (especially on the ends), and either wrap and leave my hair up in the t-shirt or flip it back and tie the arms of the shirt at the top of my forehead.  I will also squeeze my hair in the t-shirt, but not rub it.