Menu

House shoes with arch support

macmacmoo

Any recommendations on a shoe/sandal/slipper I can wear around the house that provides good arch support. We don't normally wear shoes in the house, I make the everyone take their shoes off at the door and the kids have play shoes by the back door for playing out back. But on cleaning day the lack of arch support is killing me.

We have carpet and hard floors if that matters. 

I wear indoor only shoes. After 2 years of dealing with plantar fasciitis, there's no way I'll go without enough arch support. Otherwise, we don't wear outdoor shoes in the house, either.

Clogs are nice because they are easy to slip on and off.

I wear indoor only shoes. After 2 years of dealing with plantar fasciitis, there's no way I'll go without enough arch support. Otherwise, we don't wear outdoor shoes in the house, either.

Clogs are nice because they are easy to slip on and off.

We don't wear outdoor shoes in our house either.  I also have plantar fasciitis and I wear Crocs (with the fuzzy inside) all day long as my indoor shoes.  I wear them year round.  We have hard wood and tile (with a few area rugs) on our first floor and carpet on the stairs and other floors.

We don't wear outdoor shoes in our house either.  I also have plantar fasciitis and I wear Crocs (with the fuzzy inside) all day long as my indoor shoes.  I wear them year round.  We have hard wood and tile (with a few area rugs) on our first floor and carpet on the stairs and other floors.

I went to a doctor with leg pain wearing crocs and she said the crocs were probably causing plantar fasciitis.  I was actually a bit ticked off because she barely examined me and insisted that as soon as she saw the crocs, she knew the cause of my problems.  When I asked if she was going to do a more thorough exam, she said I could always seek a second opinion.  So, all in all, I was not thrilled with her care.  I did switch to Keens and have had fewer problems but who knows what other factors could be involved.

Orthaheels.

We are no shoes inside for everyone but me. For years, I couldn't walk across my house without shoes. I have learned some stretching techniques that really help, but I still wear Shoes most of the time.

You could just get a pair is shoes with great support and designate them 'indoor shoes." Orthaheel makes slippers, but I haven't tried them. I would rather just wear normal shoes but not wear them outside.

Another plantar fasciitis alum here. I used to go barefoot or socked inside but now always wear shoes. I use my running shoes 9 months of the year (lots of in and out for kid activities here). In summer I like my Birkenstocks best. Keens feel good too but are a little tough to get on so Birks are better if I'm just hanging around the house.

Orthaheels.

We are no shoes inside for everyone but me. For years, I couldn't walk across my house without shoes. I have learned some stretching techniques that really help, but I still wear Shoes most of the time.

You could just get a pair is shoes with great support and designate them 'indoor shoes." Orthaheel makes slippers, but I haven't tried them. I would rather just wear normal shoes but not wear them outside.

I bought the Orthaheel sandals out of desperation. We were headed to Disney World and I knew I would not last a full day walking. I absolutely LOVE Orthaheel! I bought them from Amazon and they are the only shoes I can wear now. I used to wear Crocs all the time, they were the most comfy shoes I had owned prior to Orthaheel.

Fit Flops.  I have orthoheels but I like my fit flops better.  If you have PF really badly, you can't beat Dansko sandals--they are basically made of wood-like plastic, so the arch support is like laying your foot over a rock.

For closed shoes I like Saloman trail runners--they have more arch support than regular running shoes, and a stiffening layer also.

For flats I like Sofft--they have great arch support and come in very cute styles.  They are expensive though, but I usually can find them at Nordstrom Rack for 50% off or so.

New plantar fasciitis sufferer here!!  Can't be a coincidence that we all were no shoes in the house people and now have plantar fasciitis!  Recently started wearing in the house shoes as well, just some basic ones with heel cushions.  Tried on a pair of hush puppies that I am planning to go back and buy....it was like I had never really worn "shoes" before when I tried those on - amazing!

I went to a doctor with leg pain wearing crocs and she said the crocs were probably causing plantar fasciitis.  I was actually a bit ticked off because she barely examined me and insisted that as soon as she saw the crocs, she knew the cause of my problems.  When I asked if she was going to do a more thorough exam, she said I could always seek a second opinion.  So, all in all, I was not thrilled with her care.  I did switch to Keens and have had fewer problems but who knows what other factors could be involved.

I actually used to go barefoot or with socks around the house.  In Sept/Oct one year I started getting all the pain associated with the plantar fasciitis.  I did get it looked at and just suffered.  Even walked around Disney World for almost 2 weeks that December in so much pain!  I was sitting at Christmas dinner and one of my family members asked why I was limping so bad.  I described the pain and she said it sounded like plantar fasciitis.  I looked on the internet and, sure enough, I had most of the symptoms.  I was at the Crocs outlet and found my first pair for $9.99 :-).  I said what the heck and I have not looked back.  My Crocs, stretches several times a day, and a nice frozen water bottle eased my pain.  I did go to a podiatrist for another problem with my Achilles tendon.  I told him I wear Crocs all day in my house and he didn't say a word.  He did give me little felt inserts to put in them at the heel. 

I used to always be barefoot in the house until I injured my Achilles, now I have to wear shoes.  In the summer I wear Birkenstocks, in the winter I was using a pair of mocs from LLBean, but they started hurting, now I wear an old pair of running sneakers.  I cleaned them, and I only wear them indoors, but they have excellent support.  

New plantar fasciitis sufferer here!! Can't be a coincidence that we all were no shoes in the house people and now have plantar fasciitis! Recently started wearing in the house shoes as well, just some basic ones with heel cushions.

My doc told me that she sees the biggest rise in PF after summer, when everyone goes barefoot or wears those really thin flip flops and ends up injuring their feet as a result. I cringe when I see the things some women put on their feet! Ouch!