Menu

Would you recommend genetic testing

DawnM

If there are some medical issues that need to be addressed, yes. If tests can tell the propensity toward something like heart disease, etc. I think it's helpful to know. Supposedly, medicine in the future will take us down this path anyway so we can get more individualized care.

23andme used to offer a screening for $99 but the FDA made them stop offering it last fall. You can still have the testing done for $99 but they aren't providing the interpretations any more. Supposedly they're now working with the FDA to gain approval for the interpretations.

No because it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

There are too many tests and without some sort of idea of what one was looking for the costs  would be substantial.

I agree. I've been through genetic testing with the BRACplus test. It specifically looks at 6 genes. I think the test cost my insurance around $3k. Even though I was in a high risk category, it was all negative, and I've been moved down a bracket (based upon screenings in addition to the genetic testing) to the normal population, so I don't have to have as many tests and such.

Two of my kids have also been through genetic testing. But, again, they were looking for something specific in both of those cases.

If you had specific health issues that were leading you toward doing genetic testing, then it is something that your doctor would likely recommend with some specific guidance, not just a crap shoot.

23andme was testing *ancestry*, not looking for genetic mutations or disorders. Those are entirely different processes.

I saw that.

My friend got the whole thing done a year ago.

23andme used to offer a screening for $99 but the FDA made them stop offering it last fall. You can still have the testing done for $99 but they aren't providing the interpretations any more. Supposedly they're now working with the FDA to gain approval for the interpretations.

I probably wouldn't.  Even if you find that the person in question is predisposed to something, it doesn't mean they're going to get whatever it is.  My dd is missing part of her sixteenth chromosome, but at this point she is almost completely unaffected by it.  Honestly, I wish I'd never found out, because what I imagined and worried about for years was so very much worse than the reality.  And we would have treated the articulation issue anyway, so practically, knowing about the deletion didn't really do much of anything.

If it was me, I might consider some of the tests that let you know if you're at a high risk for breast cancer or various reproductive cancers, because the risk is extremely high if you have these genes and you can do something to prevent it once you find out.  But otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for years of worrying.

A basic genetic screening would cost thousands, could be covered by insurance, but would only uncover things that would have sort have been obvious anyway. To test for specific things, like Huntingtons or Brain Aneurysms, well, technology is still working on those and it would be way more than the generic genetic testing. Plus, it would have to be looking for those exact things, and there are a ton of things to look for.

As a woman, I might check for the breast cancer gene. But anything else, wouldn't bother.

How about finding the birth family? 

I don't have adopted children. But it sort of bothers me to think about my parents or DH's having that intimate of information about us. It's so permanent. And we are close to our parents. We are not really secretive, so I not sure why this troubles me.

It just gives me pause to think about a parent being able to get such thorough and personal information, and then having it forever. The kid can't grow up and make his own decisions about what to share and what is private. Obviously if there is a good medical reason, it might need to be done - at least a limited analysis. But it seems like a major ethical issue to do a fishing expedition type genetic mapping of a child and then turn all that information over to a parent to do with what he or she will with the information.

I agree. I've been through genetic testing with the BRACplus test. It specifically looks at 6 genes. I think the test cost my insurance around $3k. Even though I was in a high risk category, it was all negative, and I've been moved down a bracket (based upon screenings in addition to the genetic testing) to the normal population, so I don't have to have as many tests and such.

I'm glad your test results were all negative. :hurray: Waiting for the results was probably the most stressful part of the whole thing.

I hate waiting for results, because I'm not one of those people who assumes nothing will be wrong -- I'm the idiot on the computer late at night, finding the worst case scenario on Google. :rolleyes:

I am not sure I am following you.

If the adopted child (or adult in this case) gets genetic testing, it would NOT be linked to the bio parents or their records because they aren't named.

I don't have adopted children. But it sort of bothers me to think about my parents or DH's having that intimate of information about us. It's so permanent. And we are close to our parents. We are not really secretive, so I not sure why this troubles me.

It just gives me pause to think about a parent being able to get such thorough and personal information, and then having it forever. The kid can't grow up and make his own decisions about what to share and what is private. Obviously if there is a good medical reason, it might need to be done - at least a limited analysis. But it seems like a major ethical issue to do a fishing expedition type genetic mapping of a child and then turn all that information over to a parent to do with what he or she will with the information.

I am not sure I am following you.

If the adopted child (or adult in this case) gets genetic testing, it would NOT be linked to the bio parents or their records because they aren't named.

By 'parents' I mean you and DH. I am concerned about the ethical issues of doing some kind of full genetic mapping of a healthy child that the parents would have access to. It just seems like too much to me - a loss of privacy for a future adult. Eventually we may be able to get more and more information from genetic profiling. I am not sure, as an adult, that I would want my parents to know everything about me that this would reveal.

Let's say that they had a firm marker for Alzheimer's. This is something that would not affect me until I was all grown. But if my parents learned I had it at 10, and then shared that with their closest friends and relatives, it's easy to imagine that by the time I was 21, lots of people would know. It could affect my job and marriage prospects. But even if my parents honored my privacy, I might still feel robbed of the chance to decide for myself if I wanted them to know.

My BIL and SIL just had a baby a month ago and had that PKU test done in the hospital.  It came back that she has a disorder that in some cases can be very severe and disruptive.  They're not sure the severity of it yet, but the fact that they know and can keep and eye on it is very empowering to them.  This is something that could, undiagnosed, case failure to thrive and a host of other issues.  If anything concerning comes up, they have an idea of where to start.  

Personally, if I were going to adopt, a genetic test would be very helpful to me.  If something treatable showed up you could be on top of it before something serious developed.

If 23andme works out their issues with the FDA, I will be doing it for my adopted children. It's not exhaustive or definitive (my husband and i did it), but it does provide clues that can help medical care -- both increased / reduced disease risks and potential abnormal drug reaponses. We didn't get much in the way of family history from their birth parents, so every little bit helps.

As more and more genes are identified, the data will be even more useful. More specific testing can always be done later if there is a specific concern or problem.

Only for specifics, and only on a doctor's recommendation.

If, for example, something like CF was suspected, then of course I would.

We have CF in our family--I waited until my kids were older teens (except dd) to discuss them getting testing done to see if they are carriers.

Oh, then let me say this.....this is NOT for my adopted child.  It is for an adult who is choosing this.

By 'parents' I mean you and DH. I am concerned about the ethical issues of doing some kind of full genetic mapping of a healthy child that the parents would have access to. It just seems like too much to me - a loss of privacy for a future adult. Eventually we may be able to get more and more information from genetic profiling. I am not sure, as an adult, that I would want my parents to know everything about me that this would reveal.

Let's say that they had a firm marker for Alzheimer's. This is something that would not affect me until I was all grown. But if my parents learned I had it at 10, and then shared that with their closest friends and relatives, it's easy to imagine that by the time I was 21, lots of people would know. It could affect my job and marriage prospects. But even if my parents honored my privacy, I might still feel robbed of the chance to decide for myself if I wanted them to know.

Oh, then let me say this.....this is NOT for my adopted child. It is for an adult who is choosing this.

I think if this person is stressing over health issues and would feel better having more information, he or she should go ahead and get tested. I wouldn't recommend it out of the blue to someone who wasn't already strongly considering it, though, because I wouldn't want to give them something to start worrying about! :)

Yes, but they no longer give health info.

I'm adopted (closed adoption that's how it was back then) and I got testing through 23andme.

I am so so glad I did because very little health information was passed on.

Totally worth the $99. :)

Oh, then let me say this.....this is NOT for my adopted child. It is for an adult who is choosing this.

I am so sorry Dawn. I need to read more thoughtfully.

For an adult who has specific concerns, I would certainly recommend talking to a doctor about it. Other than the cost, what is the down side?

All 3 of my children had genetic testing last summer.  My oldest is the only one that tested positive for what we were looking for.  His disease may not affect him until much later in life, but we needed to know if he had the gene mutation.  Yes, lots of people will know by the time he is grown.  Yes, it will affect his future spouse and even if he will have children. It will take a very special woman to marry someone who has a disease that we know is genetic and can be passed on.  Will it affect his job?  Possibly, if he needs surgery to remove a tumor that will develop with our particular disease. But can I guarantee my son will not care a bit about if I invade his privacy by having him tested.  If anything, he'll be thankful that we know, so we can treat a very ugly disease that is often misdiagnosed. 

In our case, we were looking for a very specific thing in doing the genetic testing that affected not just his life and his parents, but also his siblings.  My two negative children have other issues to deal in being negative.  They have will to come to terms with that they might be caregivers at some point to me or their brother.  They may even deal with guilt that they don't have it and were spared.  So, this is a heavy issue.  My husband has also had some difficult moments.  We didn't know I had the mutation before we married or had children.  Had we known it might have changed how we planned for our family or if we would have married at all.  Regardless of the ifs, he has been supportive, loving, and an advocate for us.  He drives us to appointments and sits endless hours waiting while imaging tests are done on us.  He listens and allows me to cry when I need to.

OP, I don't know the specifics, but in our case, genetic testing was medically necessary and life saving.  If that's the case, then yes, go for it.