Menu

Do you put ISBN numbers in course descriptions?

No.

Having course descriptions at all is going above and beyond and not required for almost all schools (my DD applied to extremely selective places, and none requested them.)

Then, I think, if anybody does look at course descriptions at all, they merely browse. I can not imagining anybody actually looking up ISBN numbers.

I list textbook title and author. I don't even bother with the edition.

I did not keep them. I needed them for NCAA. I just looked them up online by searching for the books I had used. I didn't really care how accurate my information was because it is a stupid thing for them to request. So, if I listed a different edition than what I actually had used, I didn't sweat it. I did make sure the edition year was one that was out the year we would have used it.

My running book list for courses is basically an EasyBib created citation with ISBNs added. 

Then I can cut and paste whatever info is needed into the appropriate document-transcript, course description, NCAA, AP Audit, etc.

If you were getting rid of the book, I'd be sure to have all the relevant information in list somewhere and then dump the book.  You can cut and paste as much or as little info as you need from there.  Far easier to list it now than hunt for it if I needed it.

I didn't put book titles on the last transcript I did.  Or even brief course descriptions.

I had course titles, credit, grade.  Name of student and graduation year at the top.  ACT scores at the bottom (not necessary if one is sending the scores, but I had room).  My name, phone, and signature.  From years of looking at ps transcripts, that was my impression of what the admissions people would be used to seeing.  Just be sure the course titles are meaningful. E.g.: Math Through the Ages isn't going to mean anything.  Algebra 2 is a known quantity.

My daughter got in everywhere she applied with no questions asked.

I've since heard that of all the homeschool transcripts that have come into the one college (where she's going), ours was by far and away the best.  You could see what was covered at a glance, without having to page through things.  (In fact, some unkind things were said about some other transcripts....  Things I wasn't supposed to hear, but that's what happens.)

I'd keep it simple.  If you want to offer course descriptions, say they're available on request or something. Or VERY clearly separate them from the transcript.  Don't even send them in the same envelope. If you send them in with the transcript, everything's going to get confused with the transcript.

Most transcripts I have seen have been a single page. So that's how I did ours.  We didn't want to stand out in a bad way -- And I think these course descriptions attached to a transcript just look like disorganization.  As if the parent sent everything that should have been distilled down into a transcript and didn't, somehow, have the wherewithal to do that distilling.  And what looks like stupidity or incompetence in the parent is going to reflect badly on the student.

However, if you need ISBN's later, you can often find them on Amazon.

• 1 month later...

Admittedly I haven't looked at their requirements in a few months, so they may have changed again. But they were asking for isbns before they brought out the course worksheets. I think they are also part of the info asked for on the worksheets.

:lol: Snort!

Just wanted to update - I printed out a new NCAA homeschool checklist & they are no longer asking for ISBN numbers.  One small change for the better!

Do you have a link? The one I'm seeing is dated 2011 and item D asks for title, author, publisher or ISBN.

I also thought that it was part of the course worksheets.  But I haven't looked in about a  year.  Makes me too irritated.

I didn't put book titles on the last transcript I did.  Or even brief course descriptions.

I'd keep it simple.  If you want to offer course descriptions, say they're available on request or something. Or VERY clearly separate them from the transcript.  Don't even send them in the same envelope. If you send them in with the transcript, everything's going to get confused with the transcript.

Most transcripts I have seen have been a single page. So that's how I did ours.  We didn't want to stand out in a bad way -- And I think these course descriptions attached to a transcript just look like disorganization.  As if the parent sent everything that should have been distilled down into a transcript and didn't, somehow, have the wherewithal to do that distilling.  And what looks like stupidity or incompetence in the parent is going to reflect badly on the student.

Unfortunately, there is no uniformity when it comes to college admissions and the documentation colleges want from homeschoolers.  While I have not found a college that requests ISBN#, the colleges on my son's list do want course descriptions.  If I don't send in course descriptions with the transcript, I would assume that my son's application will automatically end up on the rejection pile because I don't think the colleges will take the time to specifically ask for additional documentation. 

Here is what Johns Hopkins wants from homeschoolers.  The other schools on my son's list have the same requirements:

The overall admission requirements for home-schooled applicants are the same. The secondary school report for home-schooled applicants must include a summary of the home-schooling program, a complete transcript with course descriptions, bibliography of textbooks, description of evaluation methods, and the actual grades or evaluations. Home-schooled applicants must meet the same high school curricular standard expected of all applicants. A letter of recommendation from an academic professional who is familiar with the individual applicant, other than the home-schooling teacher/parent, should be included with the application.

The Johns Hopkins University’s Admissions Committee does not have set guidelines or specific instructions for what information a home-schooled applicant must add to their application. Each home-schooled applicant is reviewed individually and independently and therefore there are no set standards for what application materials a student should submit. The general rule for home-schooled applicants to Johns Hopkins University is that we prefer more information rather than less as it pertains to the courses a student has taken, the curriculum for those courses, and the overall assessment of performance for each courses.

Do you have a link? The one I'm seeing is dated 2011 and item D asks for title, author, publisher or ISBN.

I also thought that it was part of the course worksheets.  But I haven't looked in about a  year.  Makes me too irritated.

I can't copy & paste the link, but if you go to the NCAA eligibility center, click on resources, click on homeschool students, then on core course worksheet instructions....you'll find it.  :)

Unfortunately, there is no uniformity when it comes to college admissions and the documentation colleges want from homeschoolers.  While I have not found a college that requests ISBN#, the colleges on my son's list do want course descriptions.  If I don't send in course descriptions with the transcript, I would assume that my son's application will automatically end up on the rejection pile because I don't think the colleges will take the time to specifically ask for additional documentation. 

Here is what Johns Hopkins wants from homeschoolers....

Yes, I think it really depends on what type of colleges your student is applying to. DD application to the local university with open admissions wanted just a transcript and an ACT, so I think if you know your student's intended university wants only that, you can skip the rest of the work. But dd applied to many colleges with similar requirements to JHU. The usual was transcript, course descriptions, and book list, along with the homeschool supplement or a homeschool "school description" that included a reason/method for homeschooling and a method of evaluation. One wanted to see samples of work if the student hadn't completed coursework outside the home. There was nothing disorganized about it, because I didn't make it disorganized. :D

I think you are right about the rejection pile, and that is what dd heard from one admission counselor who said they admit few homeschoolers, even those with perfect test scores, because of lack of information. She didn't say they request additional info, and from what I have heard, with piles of wonderful applicants in front of them, you have to make it easy on admissions counselors or they will be happy to narrow down their choices quickly. You also can't usually send things separately; it all goes at once in the common app or in a fax/envelope with one supplied cover sheet.