Menu

Help! Gift for a casual friend

plain jane

If you wanted to get a birthday gift for a casual friend what would you get them?  

(by casual, I mean someone you see somewhat regularly, get along with well, but you don't know them intimately enough to pick out a gift that they would simply "love")

Or, conversely, what sort of gift would put a smile on your face to receive?

I don't want to do flowers or Starbucks gift cards.  Not opposed to a gift card but had hoped for something a bit more "personal" even though it won't be totally "personal" since I don't know her especially well.  I don't know her well enough to pick out a book and as she does most of her reading from library books. Or- does anyone have a great book recommendation that would appeal to a broad audience?

Please help.  I want to do something nice but am a horrible gift giver at times.  :o

Do you know if she has any hobbies? Maybe something to go with her hobby. I suppose an Amazon gift card could work... since she reads and she can use it for virtually anything if she doesn't want to buy books.

I guess the next thing you should ask her is what kind of chocolate she likes :)

She rides horses and is into photography.  She also scrapbooks, but I wouldn't know what to get her because I don't know her scrapbook style.  Sigh.

… The only thing we've been talking about when we run into each other lately is curriculum for next year.  :wacko:

Ok, then, School Supplies, that would absolutely make me smile.

Some cool pens. I received some Pentel RSVP pens 1 year for Christmas about 20 years ago, and I still use them (of course I've had to replace them, but I still get the same kind).

Self Stick notes. With quotes or fun pictures.

Some fun pencils. And erasers.

If you didn't want to do fun / silly, you could always go nice / elegant,

Ok, then, School Supplies, that would absolutely make me smile.

Some cool pens. I received some Pentel RSVP pens 1 year for Christmas about 20 years ago, and I still use them (of course I've had to replace them, but I still get the same kind).

Self Stick notes. With quotes or fun pictures.

Some fun pencils. And erasers.

If you didn't want to do fun / silly, you could always go nice / elegant,

I really like this idea! It's fun and casual, and would make most home school moms smile.  

Honestly, it would make me feel a little uncomfortable if a casual friend gave me a $20 or $30 gift, or offered to take me to lunch - especially if she called me ahead of time and we had to pick a day, etc. Plus, it's hard to treat home school moms to lunch - you both always have your kids!

I'd be more inclined to do something silly but fun, like cool pens, or a small treat like coffee or good chocolate. 

I love these books for Scrapbooking!  Sometimes you can find them at Hobby Lobby and use your 40% off coupon, Otherwise Amazon carries them.

Jeanette Lynton

Reflections

Cherish

Imagine

Magic ( no so much as it involves 3D pages and I don't scrap that method ever.

Infinity scarves are a hit lately with my friends.