Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW11

Robin M

I just finished Sharon Sala's Going Twice (Forces of Nature) which is the second novel in a romantic suspense trilogy dealing with a serial killer.  I recommend reading the books in order starting with Going Once (Forces of Nature).

"As bodies pile up in the wake of a storm—stripped, tortured and grimly posed—authorities must admit the unthinkable. The serial killer dubbed the Stormchaser has returned following a tornado and taken it upon himself to bring the death toll up to where he believes it belongs. 

FBI investigator Wade Luckett is back on the case, assisted by an agent Wade knows professionally and personally: his ex-wife, Jo. Neither time nor the tragedy that tore them apart have blunted the ache Wade feels for brave, beautiful Jo. And though she tries to deny it, she feels the same. But the stirrings of renewed romance will have to wait until they catch a killer. 

The Stormchaser has no intention of getting caught. He's set his sights on a new victim. Jo can forget about the lifetime she dreams of spending with Wade. She'll be lucky to see another day."

I'll be on the lookout for book three.

Regards,

Kareni

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin - I will try again to post this. I got booted by guru meditation, apparently the boards are being updated without being taken down per otherjohn.

I hope you had a successful meeting this morning. I will be thinking of you this weekend during your mom's memorial service. :grouphug:

I just finished reading 'Islamic Dietary Laws and Practices' by Hussaini and Sakr. While the Quran quotes don't change over time, the nutritional advice does, and an edition published in 1984 is a wee bit out of date. I was trying to shop for something when I didn't know exactly what I was after, while piggy backing ds so he couldn't run off and destroy the place. It was easier to buy both the books on offer an worry about which I wanted later. :p Hopefully after I've read both I can conclude one of them was what I wanted, heh.

I finished Mary Stewart's, 'My Brother Michael', last night. Not my favorite of hers with a rather grim ending but I did love the descriptions of landscape and place. I have three more of hers awaiting my lens but I may pause and read someone else next. I've abandoned Willis's, 'Blackout'. There are too many other books on my tbr list for me to want to continue to slog through this one. And I need to attend to my 5/5/5 lists as well.

Gail Godwin lovers, her book, 'Flora', is today's kindle daily deal for $1.99. I've not read it but I've enjoyed her writing in the past.

I am definately not a techie but I did the same thing recently and my dh, who is my personal techie and can generally fix my problems, could not figure out how to put the book onto my kindle. Dh would love to know if there is a way.

Any BaW techies here? I'm having the frustrating experience of having just gotten an ebook from the library that I'd been waiting for for a few weeks only to find it's an ebook and not a kindle download. I went ahead and downloaded it but I cannot figure out how to send it to my kindle. Actually it appears that I can't do that so I'm left wondering if one is expected to read ebooks on the computer?? I uploaded it to calibre but when I try to send it to my kindle it won't allow conversion because it's DRM locked. There's no way I can read it on my laptop. Any ideas?

Any BaW techies here? I'm having the frustrating experience of having just gotten an ebook from the library that I'd been waiting for for a few weeks only to find it's an ebook and not a kindle download. I went ahead and downloaded it but I cannot figure out how to send it to my kindle. Actually it appears that I can't do that so I'm left wondering if one is expected to read ebooks on the computer?? I uploaded it to calibre but when I try to send it to my kindle it won't allow conversion because it's DRM locked. There's no way I can read it on my laptop. Any ideas?

OK, as y'all already know, sooooo not a techie here.

And, the only way I've ever put ePub formatted books onto my kindle is by using a cord and converting it through Calibre, which you've evidently already tried...

And, I don't know which of the ebook lending umbrellas your library belongs to...  

But, if it's OneClickdigital, you can: a) download your book onto multiple devices, and b) download it in multiple formats.  My eldest has an iPad whose kindle app is linked to my kindle account (so we can share books in that format) but she also downloads books from our library using ePub (even though they are also available in kindle format -- so that her book-borrowing doesn't interfere with my book-borrowing since we share a Kindle account).  So I would think you should be able to re-download your book directly onto a device that supports ePub.  Sadly my daughter's iPad is off at college with her, so I can't experiment with this.

And, I don't know if you have an iPad/other tablet, and I have never been able to download anything but kindle format directly onto any of our kindles.  But I would think it would work to do it this way directly onto a phone?  (Not that I've ever tried to read a book from a phone.  Blech!)

Good luck.

I finally finished "Hunted" by Kevin Hearne. It was a long slog since February 25th for me according to goodreads. It is number 6 in a series that I love but this one had way too many scenes where the characters were being chased which were boring imo. It did have a fun end so I will end up reading the next one, if there is one. The series as a whole is incredibly clever with a druid as the central character and manages to incorporate the mythology of most cultures as it progress. Fun stuff if you love mythology and enjoy paranormal book.

I also finished the first Jim Butcher "Storm Front" on my kindle. Enjoyable series so far.

I need to go back to my historical mysteries but am being tempted by the stack of Jane Jameson books by Molly Harper I picked up yesterday. Something fluffy and funny sounds great!

I'm nearing the end of Chocolat and am very anxious. I hope the author doesn't ruin everything, it would be very disappointing.

I saw the movie a decade or so ago but haven't read the book. I do love that you're sharing with us your hopes for what might or mightn't unfold. Makes me feel I'm reading along with you with the kind of immediacy that the internet often inspires :D

OK, as y'all already know, sooooo not a techie here.

And, the only way I've ever put ePub formatted books onto my kindle is by using a cord and converting it through Calibre, which you've evidently already tried...

And, I don't know which of the ebook lending umbrellas your library belongs to...  

But, if it's OneClickdigital, you can: a) download your book onto multiple devices, and B) download it in multiple formats.  My eldest has an iPad whose kindle app is linked to my kindle account (so we can share books in that format) but she also downloads books from our library using ePub (even though they are also available in kindle format -- so that her book-borrowing doesn't interfere with my book-borrowing since we share a Kindle account).  So I would think you should be able to re-download your book directly onto a device that supports ePub.  Sadly my daughter's iPad is off at college with her, so I can't experiment with this.

And, I don't know if you have an iPad/other tablet, and I have never been able to download anything but kindle format directly onto any of our kindles.  But I would think it would work to do it this way directly onto a phone?  (Not that I've ever tried to read a book from a phone.  Blech!)

Good luck.

Thanks, Pam, for so intrepidly stepping into the techie realm where non-techie angels fear to tread. I'll check the format but I don't think it's oneclickdigital. I do have an ipad though so perhaps I'll try downloading it directly onto that. Oddly enough though I prefer reading on my phone to the ipad. It's actually how I started with digital books. I downloaded the kindle app to my phone to see if reading digitally would increase my reading and I found I was reading much more that way. I did this for a few months to make sure it wasn't a passing novelty and then went ahead and got a kindle. I still occasionally read on my phone.

Pam, your phone suggestion gave me the idea to go the overdrive website on my phone and see if I could download the ebook directly onto my phone. No dice BUT I do have the option of reading it directly on my browser, which in this case is my phone, and it reads just like a kindle app so that's what I'll do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, my non-techie-turning-techier-by-the-minute friend :D

Once seen/read, it can't be undone, and some unwelcome images can stay with us for a long time.

Amen to that. There are scenes from books and movies that I wish I had brain bleach. However, movies are much worse for me. Which is why I'm super limited in what I allow myself to watch.

I took my daughter into a neighboring town's library this afternoon because it's next door to her trumpet lesson and she needed to use the bathroom... and, y'know, just while she was in the bathroom and I was waiting, I took a moment's peek at their "for sale" shelves... 

... and found a book by Salman Khan, of Khan Academy fame, called The One World Schoolhouse: Education Re-Imagined -- the story of his development of the current program and his ideas for distributed, personally tailored education in the next generations.  I had no idea he'd even written a book (2012).  I just read the table of contents and skimmed a bit, but it looks great.  I am really looking forward to it -- I have so much respect for the guy.

No way! You found that at a library sale? So jealous. I can't wait to read that book.

I finally finished "Hunted" by Kevin Hearne. It was a long slog since February 25th for me according to goodreads. It is number 6 in a series that I love but this one had way too many scenes where the characters were being chased which were boring imo. It did have a fun end so I will end up reading the next one, if there is one. The series as a whole is incredibly clever with a druid as the central character and manages to incorporate the mythology of most cultures as it progress. Fun stuff if you love mythology and enjoy paranormal book.

I'm reading that series. I just take breaks between the books. I'm on #4.

Pam, your phone suggestion gave me the idea to go the overdrive website on my phone and see if I could download the ebook directly onto my phone. No dice BUT I do have the option of reading it directly on my browser, which in this case is my phone, and it reads just like a kindle app so that's what I'll do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, my non-techie-turning-techier-by-the-minute friend :D

I don't use a smart phone (not a big fan carrying a phone to be honest) but glad to know that a solution existed.

Last night I read the contemporary romance The Christmas He Loved Her (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake) by Juliana Stone which is the second novel in a trilogy.  It stood alone but now I'd like to read books one The Summer He Came Home and three The Day He Kissed Her (coming in April).

"In the small town of Crystal Lake, Christmas is a time for sledding, hot chocolate, and cozying up to the fire with those you love. For Jake Edwards, it's also time to come home and face the music. He thought there would never be anything harder than losing his brother. Turns out there is: falling in love with his brother's widow, Raine.

Ever since they were little, Jesse was the Edwards brother who was always there for her, and Jake was the one who knew just how to push her buttons. Raine can't imagine a life without them, which is why it was doubly decimating when Jake left town after his brother's sudden death. Now he's back and she doesn't know whether to be mad or thrilled. Maybe both. Or maybe it will be the perfect chance for both of them to finally find happiness again."

The book left some questions unanswered.  I don't know if they'll be addressed in the next book or whether the author is just leaving them to the reader's imagination.  Even so, I enjoyed the book.

Regards,

Kareni

I am very glad that it worked... but... is doing it this way burning up your data?  Have you downloaded the book onto the phone, or are you essentially reading it on line?  (asked, by the non-techie mother who permits her 15 yo son to use the data plan to access Khan Academy and his on-line bio textbook in the car, but NOT his stupid games...)

I have spent the day reading when I should have been teaching, cleaning, and doing bills!  

Imprudent Lady by Joan Smith WAS a delightful, lovely Regency romance.  Thank you Amy!!  I couldn't put it down this morning once I picked it up.  I am so glad to be introduced to this author, are her other books as delightful?  It was everything I could want from a Regency romance.  The story line put me in mind of my old favorite author Judith McNaught, just without all the racy parts.  I loved the way it made me smile at the witty banter between Prudence and Dammler and at  quirky Uncle Clarence. I enjoyed watching the relationship unfold.  Honestly, it kinda made my heart melt.  My secret is out, I'm just such a hopeless romantic  :blush: Always have been, always will be.  I said that I was still waiting for a book that would sweep me away and keep me from making dinner.  Well, it didn't make it to dinner but dd did have to fend for herself for lunch  ;)   Does it say something about me that this is my first 5 star book?  Probably volumes  :D I can't wait to read another!

Dd and I also finished Beorn the Proud this afternoon.  She had wanted me to finish it last night but my throat was too tired from reading to my Patch the Pirate class at church.  This was the second time around for me with Beorn but dd's first.  She enjoyed it and so did I.  I believe dd liked the spunk of Ness, the main girl character.  I actually timed this read aloud perfect as we hit the Vikings in MOH II late last week and earlier this week.  The story did an excellent job getting the historical facts right, and dd was able to pick out some things that were mentioned in our lessons.  Beorn is set in the 9th century and is the tale of a Christian Irish girl kidnapped by the son of a Chief of the Vikings.  I highly recommend it to go along with a Viking study.  4 stars.

I suppose now I will actually do the bills, clean, and shower lol!  Quick before I start another book!

*1 – The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs (Isarel)

*2 – Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans (USA)

*3 – The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

*4 – Michael Vey:  The Rise of the Elgen by Richard Paul Evans (USA/Peru)

*5 – Soulless by Gail Carriger (England, BaW rec)

*6 – Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (England)

*7 – A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters (12th Century, England/Wales,BaW rec)

*8 – Michael Vey: Battle of the Ampere by Richard Paul Evans (Peru)

*9 - Divergent by Veronica Roth (USA)

*10 - Anna of Byzantium by Tracy Barrett (Turkey, 11th/12th Century, Dusty Book)

*11 – Austenland by Shannon Hale (England, Dusty Book)

*12 – The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

*13 – Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger (England, BaW rec)

*14 – The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis

*15 – Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury (England)

*16 - Imprudent Lady by Joan Smith (England, BaW rec)

*17 - Beorn the Proud by Madeleine Polland (Denmark, 9th Century)

I am very glad that it worked... but... is doing it this way burning up your data?  Have you downloaded the book onto the phone, or are you essentially reading it on line?  (asked, by the non-techie mother who permits her 15 yo son to use the data plan to access Khan Academy and his on-line bio textbook in the car, but NOT his stupid games...)

Groan. It never occurred to me that reading it online would be burning up data. I've got wifi and 3G so it's super quick and I use hardly any data per month since I don't stream videos/music/movies. But a glance at my usage today shows what appears to be an increase which must be a reflection of the book reading. Okay, back to square one.

ETA The book can't be downloaded onto my phone so it's looking like this library e-checkout will be e-checked right back in :glare:

I finished Chocolat. It has occurred to me that the book could be considered terribly scandalous, yet, in a way, it  felt sweetly innocent to me.  The end did not ruin the story, for that I am thankful.

Sitting here right now with my own tasse de the et un petit peu de chocolat :D

Time to jump into a new book or take up where I left off with some of my other ones but honestly when I look at my tbr pile or my ongoing pile I feel like this :willy_nilly: cubed which I guess would look like this :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: which then makes me feel like doing this :lol:  because all those 'willy-nilly' smilies are perfectly in sync. Unlike myself.

I just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore, and give it 2 very enthusiastic thumbs up.  I seem to recall some BaWers didn't like it, but I found it endearingly quirky and fun and sweet.  It has a geeky and hipster vibe to it, with perhaps a Californian flair, and it was just delightful.  Jane, I don't know if it will be your cuppa, but I can recommend it based solely on there being a scene that takes place in a knitting museum!!   I see why Stacia compared it to DaVinci Code, but it is much more fun than Dan Brown.

I also finished my latest Aubrey/Maturin title.  Where or where is our Paisley Hedgehog?  She is my buddy in reading this series and I'm wondering if she picked up right after this one left off.  It had a very sudden ending, but I understand the next title picks up the story.

I'm behind on Dante, but plan on puttering along with it.  

And I wonder where my copy of Chocolat is?  But there is a stack of books waiting for me, so Chocolat will have to wait til I stumble upon it.

Oh, and Eliana seems to be missing in action too.  Do we need to send out search and rescue missions to find our reading buddies?

I have been wondering about our missing BaWer's also. Michele hasn't been here either much.

Jenn or anyone else, can I have the author for the art forgery mysteries that you were reading? I was being clever (I take full responsibility because Ninja Mom warned us all) and keeping a wish list of titles to request on the library website. No longer there. Can't remember what else was on that list but I know they had the art forger series.

Seeing Onceuponatime's mention of Chocolat by Joanne Harris reminded me to search the library website to see if they have her Loki book yet (no such luck), but I did see that she has a book called My French Kitchen. Jane (& other foodies), did you know she had that one? 

Jenn, I thought Mr. Penumbra's was fun too. A good pool/beach read, imo. Yeah, it's Dan Brown-ish, but more hip & modern, lighter too, imo.

Seeing Onceuponatime's mention of Chocolat by Joanne Harris reminded me to search the library website to see if they have her Loki book yet (no such luck), but I did see that she has a book called My French Kitchen. Jane (& other foodies), did you know she had that one?

Haven't seen that one before but Five Quarters of the Orange is one of my 5/5/5s for food.

Haven't seen that one before but Five Quarters of the Orange is one of my 5/5/5s for food.

I read that one a few years ago. (Seemed like a must read since I love oranges and the color orange too, lol. ;) ) I thought it was a decent book w/ some delightful & delectable food descriptions strewn throughout.

We're going to be out much of the day tomorrow so I'll need to pack lunch. Of course I thought of shukriyya and her lovely lunch/travel supplies. Unfortunately I'll just be tossing everything in our not-so-pretty cooler. :D

In book news, I'm really enjoying Americanah. There are characters that resemble characters from Half of a Yellow Sun, but that doesn't bother me. I haven't read any of her other work, so I don't know if this is common throughout her books. If so, I'd be a bit disappointed that she just recycles characters. 

I have been wondering about our missing BaWer's also. Michele hasn't been here either much.

Jenn or anyone else, can I have the author for the art forgery mysteries that you were reading? I was being clever (I take full responsibility because Ninja Mom warned us all) and keeping a wish list of titles to request on the library website. No longer there. Can't remember what else was on that list but I know they had the art forger series.

The author is Iain Pears, and the first in the series is the Rafael Affair (or the Rafael something...)

I keep my list on a word file, along with all the books I've completed.  Which reminds me -- I'd better go update it!

I'm here.  May I vent: Although yesterday was stressful with the tax lady, we came to an agreement, but still need to fix 2012. Oy.  It wasn't as nerve wracking as today calling up a couple of mom's old friends, informing them of her passing and inviting them to the memorial.  I'm such an introvert. My husband, the extrovert,  has no problem calling up friends he hasn't talked to for 10 years or more to say hi.  Doesn't bother him in the least.  Me. :svengo: I had to write myself a script so I wouldn't forget anything.  But it is nothing compared what my poor dad is going through so I really can't complain. Much!   I made it through, then spent a lovely hour ordering some beautiful flowers for her service.  

I also have Chocolat in my stacks and have attempted a couple times, but just can't get into it. Loved the movie so hoping I'd like the book.  Maybe I'll try again.  I'm like Shukriyya and have the eyes are too big for my stomach syndrome. Too many choices.  Finished Sea of Monsters and dived into another fluffy contemporary romance read by Mariah Stewart.  At the River's Edge  which is part of her Chesapeake Diaries series.    I gave up on Cara Black because remembered that I really don't like her writing all that much - no emotion.  Reminds me of french James Patterson.  :lol: .

I think some of our missing folks are abstaining or cut back from the boards for Lent.

Jenn's right - it's Iain Pears. Love him.  Maybe I'll read Giotti's Hand next.

I am happy spring is right around the corner. Looking forward to sitting out on my patio again and enjoying nature while I read.

I gave up on Cara Black because remembered that I really don't like her writing all that much - no emotion.  Reminds me of french James Patterson.  :lol: .

Cara Black fell flat for me too.  After reading her first book, I extended some grace.  Sometimes an author is so busy establishing a character that she doesn't hit her stride in telling the story.  But it was clear from the second book that her writing was not going to resonate with me.

I have never read James Patterson.  :leaving:  In fact, I had to Google him.  Oh the bliss of ignorance!

I'm behind on Dante, but plan on puttering along with it.  

I read two Cantos last night.  I think that puts me at Canto 14 so I'm still puttering along too!

I keep my list on a word file, along with all the books I've completed.  Which reminds me -- I'd better go update it!

I've done this the past two years on my blog sidebar.  This year I'm keeping them there as well as on a word file where I'm also keeping the reviews I post here.

I am happy spring is right around the corner. Looking forward to sitting out on my patio again and enjoying nature while I read.

Me too!  We got one mid-60 day this week and I sat outside and read for hours, ended up with some sunburn  :rolleyes:  It felt marvelous, though.

Me too!  We got one mid-60 day this week and I sat outside and read for hours, ended up with some sunburn  :rolleyes:  It felt marvelous, though.

sooo longing for some spring, here.  We had a couple of 55ish days last week, and the 12" of crusted compacted ICE that has covered the ground since December finally started to melt... but yesterday and today we're back to the mid 20's, so the last dirty, patchy couple of inches have solidified right back up.  It is THE WORST.

My pussy willows have broken out in glorious bud, though, so they, at least, must be keeping the faith.

Thank you for Iain Pears name. I wanted to be able to request a few books on each of the village library card because we still have our librarians. My version of appreciation is several interlibrary loans. ;) Really hope we manage to keep the staff.

Darn library computer systems! Why are they out to sabotage us? :glare:  Sorry that happened to you.

As for missing posters I know many are observing religious days.

We're going to be out much of the day tomorrow so I'll need to pack lunch. Of course I thought of shukriyya and her lovely lunch/travel supplies. Unfortunately I'll just be tossing everything in our not-so-pretty cooler. :D

As long as you've got a supply of chocolate tucked into your supplies somewhere you're good to go, no prettiness necessary :D

sooo longing for some spring, here. We had a couple of 55ish days last week, and the 12" of crusted compacted ICE that has covered the ground since December finally started to melt... but yesterday and today we're back to the mid 20's, so the last dirty, patchy couple of inches have solidified right back up. It is THE WORST.

Mm

My pussy willows have broken out in glorious bud, though, so they, at least, must be keeping the faith.

Pussy willows in glorious bud *are* the faith :D

I'm remembering the winters of my childhood with your references to 12 inch crusts of ice and dirty, grubby, slushy, gravy snow, blech. That's when it was over for me, the exhaust from the cars and the cars themselves turning everything into a filthy, frozen landscape. No wonder pussy willows in bud are so easily a little piece of heaven.

On the reading front, I started Annie Dillard's, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, a 5/5/5 read for me. The writing is stunning--not a wasted word yet so sensuously evocative of land and soul. This is a writer for whom the written word is a tactile, breathing body. Pam, I think you'd like this one. Actually any BaWer who wants to dip their toe into poetry but is put off by the form, this might be a good place to start.

On the reading front, I started Annie Dillard's, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, a 5/5/5 read for me. The writing is stunning--not a wasted word yet so sensuously evocative of land and soul. This is a writer for whom the written word is a tactile, breathing body. Pam, I think you'd like this one. Actually any BaWer who wants to dip their toe into poetry but is put off by the form, this might be a good place to start.

Shukriyya .... You'rekilling me. You're going to reveal me for the llightweight reader I am! LOL.  I still don't think I liked it (but was glad I read it). [sigh]

I, in comparison, am reading my third Joan Smith book of the week.  AggieAmy, for this I blame you! (I also requested the 3 my library system has.  In LARGE PRINT.  I'm 90 or something)    I read Imprudent Lady too.  Now I'm 23% into Lace for Milady from this morning.  I'm tempted to say I like her better than Heyer; more varied characters, settings, and plots. 

I should be reading Till We Have Faces or cleaning my house or doing laundry.  But maybe another day ...

Shukriyya .... You'rekilling me. You're going to reveal me for the llightweight reader I am! LOL.  I still don't think I liked it (but was glad I read it). [sigh]

I, in comparison, am reading my third Joan Smith book of the week.  AggieAmy, for this I blame you! (I also requested the 3 my library system has.  In LARGE PRINT.  I'm 90 or something)    I read Imprudent Lady too.  Now I'm 23% into Lace for Milady from this morning.  I'm tempted to say I like her better than Heyer; more varied characters, settings, and plots. 

I should be reading Till We Have Faces or cleaning my house or doing laundry.  But maybe another day ...

Nothing lightweight about not liking a book but being glad you read it. The ability to be comfortable with that kind of ambiguity gives you more credit than you give yourself. I don't think it's always necessary to like a book to have been glad one has read it. Maybe liking a book isn't always the point, yk? Preference is such a slippery animal and so capricious it's not always a worthy measure. And finally, hey, lightweight, is a fun place to hang out. I know I visit there a lot :D

I just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore, and give it 2 very enthusiastic thumbs up.  I seem to recall some BaWers didn't like it, but I found it endearingly quirky and fun and sweet.  It has a geeky and hipster vibe to it, with perhaps a Californian flair, and it was just delightful.  

I read this one a few weeks ago and had such a fun discussion with dh about it. He has a friend at Google and is a techie/Maker kind of guy and I'm a bookstore/archivist kind of girl. Fun. 

I really enjoyed Harris' Four Quarters of the Orange, especially the food. My French Kitchen is much more cookbook than story or memoir. It was okay if you're looking for a cookbook with standard French fare. 

The author is Iain Pears, and the first in the series is the Rafael Affair (or the Rafael something...)

That series is fun. It seems like you can jump around in it. 

In book news, I'm really enjoying Americanah. There are characters that resemble characters from Half of a Yellow Sun, but that doesn't bother me. I haven't read any of her other work, so I don't know if this is common throughout her books. If so, I'd be a bit disappointed that she just recycles characters. 

It looks like Americanah won the American Book Critics Circle Award. 

I love that book, but no book is perfect for every moment of our life. 

Last night I finished Robyn Carr's The Chance (Thunder Point).  It's a contemporary romance and was an enjoyable read.  I've probably read twenty books by this author, and I've enjoyed them all.

"With its breathtaking vistas and down-to-earth people, Thunder Point is the perfect place for FBI agent Laine Carrington to recuperate from a gunshot wound and contemplate her future. The locals embraced Laine as one of their own after she risked her life to save a young girl from a dangerous cult. Knowing her wounds go beyond the physical, Laine hopes she'll fit in for a while and find her true self in a town that feels safe. She may even learn to open her heart to others, something an undercover agent has little time to indulge. 

Eric Gentry is also new to Thunder Point. Although he's a man with a dark past, he's determined to put down roots and get to know the daughter he only recently discovered. When Laine and Eric meet, their attraction is obvious to everyone. But while the law enforcement agent and the reformed criminal want to make things work, their differences may run too deep…unless they take a chance on each other and find that deep and mysterious bond that belongs to those who choose love over fear."

Regards,

Kareni

What are your thoughts on reading these out of sequence?  It only mattered a little with small details in the Virgin River series.

Oh, yippee, yeah! Happy dance!

Doing a little bit of various searching on my library website tells me they've ordered a few copies of Helen Oyeyemi's latest book, Boy, Snow, Bird. I'm already on the waitlist even though they don't have their copies yet. :D (Now if they'll just order Joanne Harris' The Gospel of Loki, I might start cartwheeling. ;) )

Doing a little bit of various searching on my library website tells me they've ordered a few copies of Helen Oyeyemi's latest book, Boy, Snow, Bird. I'm already on the waitlist even though they don't have their copies yet. :D  (Now if they'll just order Joanne Harris' The Gospel of Loki, I might start cartwheeling. ;) )

We need to get a video of you cartwheeling with floridamom buck dancing or tarantella-ing in the background :lol:

... between the Taxes and finishing planning my mom's memorial which is coming up on the 21st. 

I am so sorry Robin!  ((HUGS))

I have spent the day reading when I should have been teaching, cleaning, and doing bills!  

Imprudent Lady by Joan Smith WAS a delightful, lovely Regency romance.  Thank you Amy!!  I couldn't put it down this morning once I picked it up.  I am so glad to be introduced to this author, are her other books as delightful?  It was everything I could want from a Regency romance.  The story line put me in mind of my old favorite author Judith McNaught, just without all the racy parts.  I loved the way it made me smile at the witty banter between Prudence and Dammler and at  quirky Uncle Clarence. I enjoyed watching the relationship unfold.  Honestly, it kinda made my heart melt.  My secret is out, I'm just such a hopeless romantic  :blush: Always have been, always will be.  I said that I was still waiting for a book that would sweep me away and keep me from making dinner.  Well, it didn't make it to dinner but dd did have to fend for herself for lunch  ;)   Does it say something about me that this is my first 5 star book?  Probably volumes  :D I can't wait to read another!

Yay!  I was really hoping you'd like it.  I've read Winter Wedding by her and thought it was great.  I also read Escapade and thought it was fun but not my favorite.  

AggieAmy recommended Joan Smith's Winter Wedding a couple of weeks ago, so I sent it to my kindle.  Started it yesterday, finished this morning instead of waking the children :). Nice little Regency romance.  An author worth keeping in mind for a quick, light read.  Thanks Amy!

You are certainly welcome.  I'm so glad that I could help you gals put off feeding your children and help you neglect your housework ... I was concerned I was the only one that did that because I'd rather be reading.  

:laugh:

I put myself on the list for Boy Snow Bird sometime in the last month because of discussion on this list. I was 30-50 down the list? and I received it on Tuesday. I'm reading it right now.

I'm pretty sure magic was involved.

Ohhh, can't wait to hear your comments, Tam!

Maybe I'll magically get a copy very soon too, lol!

My lost wish list is a thing of the past! Although secretly hoping the books reappear as others read them here, I will try to go back but these threads are loooong these days. I spent some time with this weeks BaW thread and have managed several requests. I found Boy, Snow, Bird but the cover appears to be very plain not like Stacia's which I love...not sure why since I hate snakes but beatiful cover art.

[

Doing a little bit of various searching on my library website tells me they've ordered a few copies of Helen Oyeyemi's latest book, Boy, Snow, Bird. I'm already on the waitlist even though they don't have their copies yet. :D (Now if they'll just order Joanne Harris' The Gospel of Loki, I might start cartwheeling. ;) )

I found Boy, Snow, Bird but the cover appears to be very plain not like Stacia's which I love...not sure why since I hate snakes but beatiful cover art.

:iagree:  completely.

I'm a snake-o-phobe so I don't know why I think the cover is (almost) pretty. I'm not sure whether to shudder or smile.

Pussy willows in glorious bud *are* the faith :D

Well, there may be something to this...

...I started Annie Dillard's, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, a 5/5/5 read for me. The writing is stunning--not a wasted word yet so sensuously evocative of land and soul. This is a writer for whom the written word is a tactile, breathing body. Pam, I think you'd like this one. Actually any BaWer who wants to dip their toe into poetry but is put off by the form, this might be a good place to start.

I'm not sure I've ever read anything by Dillard other than Bird by Bird and that sort of writing-prompt kind of thing...

My lost wish list is a thing of the past! Although secretly hoping the books reappear as others read them here, I will try to go back but these threads are loooong these days. I spent some time with this weeks BaW thread and have managed several requests. I found Boy, Snow, Bird but the cover appears to be very plain not like Stacia's which I love...not sure why since I hate snakes but beatiful cover art.

I like the egg one best, but the one I have is the snake one. 

I'm on part 2 now (new narrator), but I'm having a hard time trusting the narrator of the first section (Boy). All kinds of weird things are running through my head.