Menu

What's your favorite thrift store book find?

cintinative

I was just at the thrift store today picking up my usual armful of books I never intended to buy. LOL.

I think my favorite find so far is this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Medieval-Knights-Sabuda-Reinhart/dp/043954324X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394326131&sr=8-1&keywords=castle+sabin

I found it a couple years ago. Honestly it is strange to find a pop up book written for an older aged child and that is not fiction.  My boys both love looking at this book.

Is there anything you have found that is especially good? Has anyone found curriculum?  Any tips and tricks for finding good stuff?

I found a book of fairy tales that is my kids' favorite, but i don't know the name if it. It is packed away bc we are in the middle of a move. I love thrift store finds! One town I lived in I collected dozens of children's classics. Must have been a good school district :)

My personal favorite is a vintage copy of Bambi. Apparently it was part of a church library and was only checked out twice, in the 60s. For some reason, it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to see the library stamps there, I guess because it has a history. Another favorite is the version of The Little Engine that Could I found at Goodwill. It's an older version, but the one I loved as a child. I was never interested in buying the version currently in print because they changed the illustrations.

Schoolwise, I found a copy of the white Kingfisher world history book and was inordinately proud of that because for the longest time that was the main book people recommended (based on TWTM) for logic stage history, and has been out of print for awhile. Apparently the new versions aren't as good. I've also found a couple of different GEMS units and art and science books.

I've never had any great books finds at the thrift store, but I have found some other things.  The ones I remember best are:

A 9-tray Excalibur dehydrator w/ timer for $20.  It was missing the front door which I was able to order from the company for $25.

A large set of zoobs (500) for $12.  Woo hoo!

A huge bag of playmobil for $5.

and last but not least, a bag of wooden cuisenaire rods, probably from a classroom as there were at least 8 sets, for $15.

eta: that I totally didn't see the word book in the title  :tongue_smilie:

At a library sale last week I found Where on Earth: A Geografunny Guide to the Globe. It's a perfect addition to my geography plans next year with my kid who loves Bill Nye-humor.

CP was also drooling over my other good find, Space & Art Activities. "Mommy, can we do some of these?" "Why, yes dear, of course we can."  :thumbup1: 

I love those sorts of finds.

This full set of explore and learn for 25 cents each http://www.amazon.com/Explore-Learn-Volume-Set-Technology/dp/B000JVVPKO

On the same day I found greek gods and goddesses http://www.amazon.com/Goddesses-Olympus-Trophy-Picture-Books/dp/0064461890/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394370990&sr=1-1&keywords=greek+gods+and+goddesses+for+kidsn

And a nicely illustrated children's version of the odyssey from kingfisher for just 10 cents each. I must have wandered in shortly after some homeschoolers donated.

Our county library system does an annual book giveaway and it's actually kind of depressing all the good things I've found there because it means they are no longer on the shelves of the various branches. I can understand about outdated books being culled but I've found so many good things that really should be in the community library rather than my own personal collection.

We tend to get the most use out of reference books that I've found at the library giveaway. World Book Encyclopedia, World Wildlife Federation Endangered Species Encyclopedia, Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia, Oxford Children's Reference of Planet Earth, etc.

I found a copy of the High School Subjects Self-Taught by Lewis Copeland that I've seen Hunter recommend on this forum. http://www.amazon.com/High-School-Subjects-Self-Taught/dp/0385049498

ABeka history text. They are soooo beautiful! But every time I start to read one I am reminded of why we use living books in our schooling. I do use the text for reference though. 

Our best TS finds would be clothes .

Excalibur? WOW! Great find! I paid top dollar for mine.Worth every penny, but you got a deal! :)

My best find was Easy Grammar Plus (teacher and student edition), the entire boxed set of Hakim's The Story of the US, a bunch of Adventures in Odyssey, and a snap circuits set ALL for a grand total of $4. I was excited about that find for a long time. Unfortunately the thrift store where I got it has had absolutely nothing since then.

At a thrift store:

ColorKu, brand new still sealed

Thames and Kosmos Optical Science & Art

(ok...so those aren't books, but I was excited!)

At a flea market:

The entire set of A History of US for $12.00

At a garage sale:

Life of Fred Fractions

The boxed set of The Letter People

50 cents for American Book Company's 1880 Seven American Classics, Supplementary to Fifth Reader. Not only do I love the content, the students (all from Alexandria, KY) wrote their names in the front of the book each year and made some other notations such as "War was declared in South Africa Oct 12th 1899." 

Because it was a one-off I don't have the readers or other supplementary books. I'll either track them down or just use it as a supplement to McGuffey's 5th next year.

Found FREE in my local Homeschool Store Free Section:

copy of BraveWriter's The Writer's Jungle and Helps for High School {GONE!}

Old editions of Oak Meadow 3rd and 4th syllabuses {STILL HAVE THEM! ANY TAKERS?}

Those are my most recent ones. Anyone want them? pm me. I'll pay shipping.

The How My Body Works encyclopedia set - http://www.partworks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d373.html

They must have released it differently here in Australia because my set has 50 books, and book 50 is the index, whereas his series has 67 books and book 67 is the index, book 50 is Body Care 3. Anyway, different release but mine is a full 50 book set

$5 for the lot

Best. Bargain. Ever.

Not a thrift store find, but last year our local college library liquidated its education curriculum collection. It was a goldmine! I walked away with hundreds of books, including an entire set of Singapore math, Latin curriculum, plus cool odd things like history transparencies and sandpaper letters. Really, awesome stuff. If we'd gotten there the first day, we could have had more art kits, science materials, music materials...

Silvercraft,I have the Childcraft set my parents bought when I was a kid. It has some good stories and poems. How do you plan to use yours?

I remain very inspired and jealous of all of your great finds!! I even went thrifting today and came home with no books (but we did find a K'Nex set for $2.50). 

Silvercraft,I have the Childcraft set my parents bought when I was a kid. It has some good stories and poems. How do you plan to use yours?

I remain very inspired and jealous of all of your great finds!! I even went thrifting today and came home with no books (but we did find a K'Nex set for $2.50).

My 5th grade DS would consider that K'nex set a real treasure!

To start with my 5th, 3rd, and K DC all sat on the floor near the pile of Childcraft books and just explored them together. I expect the K and 3rd to use them fairly heavily for science spines next year (for 1st and 4th), and a couple of them can be woven into their world geography study. I think they'll be perfect for expanding the rising fourth grader's horizons; the only science she cares for is animals and general nature study. One of my goals for her fourth grade is helping her see the wonder of other science fields.

The fifth grader will read them for fun in his own time.

For what it's worth, I went for a newer set rather than a vintage one, in spite of reviews saying they removed some of the good literature in later editions. We already have three children's literature anthologies on our shelves, so I think we're covered.