Menu

A little girl was injured in a crash in front of my house :(

SorrelZG

A little girl, one of our neighbors, was badly injured in a moto accident this evening (a moto is like a scooter, I guess, or something between a scooter and a motorcycle). I was actually posting to the forum when I heard a horrible crunching and then silence which was then followed by a lot of wailing :( By the time I got outside all I could see through the crowd was one moto and a man motionless on the road. I learned later that there were two motos involved and the little girl had been rushed to a doctor (I assume she had been on the other moto with a relative). I called DH who was at a restaurant nearby and he came and helped (I can't speak the language) and eventually the man was able to get up and family arrived to take him away (presumably to a doctor). DH said he had hit his head badly but he also appeared highly intoxicated. Afterwards, not too long after, the little girl was apparently sent home with just a bunch of medication. DH checked her out and she appeared to have also hit her head very badly and her leg was possibly broken (there was a visible bump somewhere below the knee and she screamed at light touch). DH took her in our van to the hospital in the city (about an hour and a half away). I just heard from him that they arrived and she was taken in and will be staying there overnight and DH is on his way home. No news on her yet, though.

Prayers for her appreciated. :(

Wow, where are you? I think we often take a lot of the good medical care we have in some parts of the world for granted. I am so glad that you and your dh were able to help the little girl.

We're in Cambodia. Sort of/not really rural. Basic first aid is not common knowledge, no one knows what the "doctor" is giving them when/if they go, and I know of hospitals turning dying patients (children) away because their family had no money to pay. Although there are foreign professionals volunteering and doing great things for people here, this is normal.

I appreciate all the prayers for her. The doc at the hospital said her head is fine (DH was concerned because they had a lot of trouble keeping her awake on the ride there). They had X-rayed her leg but no word on that yet. Apparently she is 10 or 12 and was actually the driver of the other moto (normal here outside the city, along with the lack of helmets :().

I'm so glad your DH was able to help her!

I've been to Cambodia and I was so shocked by the conditions there. I guess I thought it was more like Vietnam or Thailand, but it's so SO much poorer. Such beautiful people, and so much tragedy in that country.  :sad:

Thank-you, everyone. I didn't really contribute anything (besides calling DH, I guess) but DH is one of those people that just seem to be helpful in all situations.

Two fields of work I never had any desire to work in were education and health. So, the jokes been on me re: education since before I had children because the only jobs I could find at the times I needed them were related to education. Now, since being here and seeing how even a little medical knowledge can make a big difference, I have every desire to get trained in health/medicine to some degree so that I can be of more use to others and even, just to top the irony off, contribute to health and first aid education.