Menu

Husband in Beijing - air pollution is....

Laura Corin

I'm sorry.  I studied Mandarin back in undergrad, and two of my friends ended up going to Beijing--they both commented on the air quality.  One was at BeiDa in the late 80s and commented on how bad the pollution was.  The other was there in the early 90s, and told me that there was actually a condition known as "Beijing Lung" because of the horrible air quality.   No idea if it's gotten better or worse since then, my guess is worse.

I always dread going to Cairo as it has really bad pollution, but nothing compared to Beijing.  (They say living in Cairo is like smoking a pack of cigarettes each day.)

Yuck. I'd love to live in China for many reasons, but so many of the cities have such horrible air quality that I hope we don't. Of course, I'm sitting in Mexico City right now...

Edited to add that we went to to a restaurant with an outdoor balcony last night. It turned out the balcony was the smoking area and that children weren't allowed to sit there because that, but I couldn't really see the need for the rule when the air is so bad here in the first place. Sitting a few tables away from someone who was smoking really wouldn't make a difference in this city.

Yuck. I'd love to live in China for many reasons, but so many of the cities have such horrible air quality that I hope we don't. Of course, I'm sitting in Mexico City right now...

Kunming isn't bad - not much industry and a nice city in general.  Most other Chinese cities are pretty frightening.

L

I'm sorry.  I studied Mandarin back in undergrad, and two of my friends ended up going to Beijing--they both commented on the air quality.  One was at BeiDa in the late 80s and commented on how bad the pollution was.  The other was there in the early 90s, and told me that there was actually a condition known as "Beijing Lung" because of the horrible air quality.   No idea if it's gotten better or worse since then, my guess is worse.

I always dread going to Cairo as it has really bad pollution, but nothing compared to Beijing.  (They say living in Cairo is like smoking a pack of cigarettes each day.)

I was in Beijing from '85-'86.  The pollution was bad but it was different - heating and cooking were accomplished by burning poor quality coal.  Now it's mostly industrial pollution plus cars - I believe that is worse because the particles are smaller, but I might be wrong.

L

Kunming isn't bad - not much industry and a nice city in general. Most other Chinese cities are pretty frightening.

L

I'd love to go to Kunming, but Dh's company doesn't have an office there. Kashgar is #1 on my list of places I probably won't ever get to live in China though.

When we visited Beijing in 2010, I felt very very depressed because of the air. It has been worse and worse each year. Avoid going there if you can. When we went again in 2013, I was prepared for the worst. We only had a layover in Beijing. The air in the airport when you just landed was hard to describe; it smelled poisonous inside the building. Outside it looked so slogged you couldn't see anything clearly.

I feel very sad for my family that live in China. I have a few of my closest friends living in Beijing. One even chose to raise his kids there even though he is a naturalized American citizen. I don't think any good education options there would make me willing to sacrifice my kids' health for.

Holy crud.

...adds mask shopping to pre trip to-do list

It's always bad, but just how bad it is depends on the weather.  Beijing is very dry, so there's not that much rain to knock the pollution out of the sky.  In the spring it's windy, with the wind coming from the Gobi Desert.  I would guess that the pollution is a little better then, but being sandblasted isn't much fun either.  Honestly, the combination of the smog and the climate makes it a very difficult place to live.

L

It's always bad, but just how bad it is depends on the weather. Beijing is very dry, so there's not that much rain to knock the pollution out of the sky. In the spring it's windy, with the wind coming from the Gobi Desert. I would guess that the pollution is a little better then, but being sandblasted isn't much fun either. Honestly, the combination of the smog and the climate makes it a very difficult place to live.

L

In early November of 1988, I was in Beijing for a week looking for jobs and interviews. I got accepted by several universities, but because of the high wind and dust combination, I opted to go to Guanzhou in the end instead, which proved nicer, intolerably hot and humid though. I really feel pity for people who live in Beijing. I can't believe their swaggering pride show offs breathing that air! Let them be proud of being BJers; I am content to be a humble good-air breather.

Yikes.  I had a friend who was a PhD in atmospheric physics, and he said we (the US) can recycle/go green all we want, but unless we got China on board, it is a drop in the bucket and would make close to NO difference in the long run for "planetary health."  He was very progressive and environmental, but he was seeing the big picture.

I don't know if he's right, but this number is shocking.  I hope your husband can stay safe and healthy. :(

Yikes. I had a friend who was a PhD in atmospheric physics, and he said we (the US) can recycle/go green all we want, but unless we got China on board, it is a drop in the bucket and would make close to NO difference in the long run for "planetary health." He was very progressive and environmental, but he was seeing the big picture.

I don't know if he's right, but this number is shocking. I hope your husband can stay safe and healthy. :(

I agree. Instead of feeling comfortable with the clean air we can breathe here, we need to be proactive to deal with air pollution in other countries. Eventually, it will hurt all of us if we sit and do nothing about it.

Just yuk! I hope Laura's dh stays healthy on his business trip. My allergies acted up hanging out with my brothers last week and they didn't even smoke near me, they just smell like it. Pretty sure Beijing would be a very bad idea for me and many others.

There are so many places on earth I won't be ever visiting because pollution is my probably my biggest asthma trigger. When we were stationed in Sacramento, my kids thought it was cool that I always knew when a pollution alert would be called since back then I would start wheezing at 90. With perimenopause, it changed to about 85. After this latest bout of pneumonia, who knows how low?

Mrs. Mungo, are there places your family avoids visiting because of your son's problem?