Menu

March Menu Plans

Kevin'sMom

Okay, I have to admit I am really tired of coming up with meal plans on top of everything else. So, if a few people would let me know what they actually cooked today, I could take FriedClams suggestion for reducing daily stress and just plug those in a little chart...31 people and March would be all taken care of!

Salad with shredded chicken on top.  A tortilla or crackers on the side for those who want it.

Tomorrow: Elk bratwurst with sweet potato fries and a salad.

Then: Baked potatoes topped with leftover chicken or I have taco meat in the freezer

Then: Carne asada (elk, not beef) in the crockpot with tortillas and salad.

One thing we've started is picking up a roaster chicken twice a month. That's two dinners & then I boil the bones/ left over meat to make a large pot of chicken noodle soup. Which I then separate into freezer bags. You could of course roast your own chicken but at this point I like things quick & easy. If I make Italian meatloaf I make extra & make them into meatballs. We rarely eat left overs in the fridge so if after eating If I have extra meatloaf I cut it into pieces & freeze to later be served with spaghetti. Home made sloppy joes are on my list. Again making a double or triple batch & freezing the extras to be eaten later. We'll be doing chicken pot pies this week too. I find life so much easier when I make & freeze extra meals!

I've got this week's menus in front of me, so...

- meatloaf with mixed steamed veggies

- homemade pizza (usually one mushroom and olive, one pineapple)

- Veggie soup with garlic bread or corn bread

- Slow cooker BBQ ribs (slow cook ribs, then slather on the sauce and pop under broiler.... mmmm....), cole slaw, baked potato  x 2 meals

- Burgers and homemade fries

- Sweet and sour chicken over rice

Sunday: Breakfast for Dinner Night - This week we had Maple Egg Cups.  Last week my boys made "French Pancakes" which are really crepes rolled with brown sugar (which is not on the usual rotation).  Normal choices are pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage, breakfast burritos, muffins, bread pudding, a variety of chopped fruits.

Monday: Pasta Night - This week we had Spaghetti & Meatballs.  I make and broil 10 lb of meatballs, then freeze for easy dinners.  Other choices for pasta night include lasagna, spaghetti with meat sauce, American chop suey, shrimp and white sauce, macaroni and cheese.

Tuesday: Mexican Night - This week we will have Chicken Enchilladas using leftover meat from a roaster we had at the end of last week.  Other choices include tacos, burritos, and occasionally fajitas, served with rice and beans. 

Wednesday: Wildcard Night -  Tomorrow we will have Roasted Pork Ribs (bone in) with butternut squash and potatoes.

Thursday: Wildcard Night - not sure yet.  Maybe meatloaf, maybe lamb chops.

Friday: Takeout night - Probably pizza.  We're pretty rural, so there aren't too many choices; It's either Chinese, pizza, or subs around here. 

Saturday: Burgers & Dogs Night - I make up 10 lb of meat into seasoned burgers which we freeze for easy meals.  Sides include fries, beans, cole slaw, or potato salad depending on the season.

I like having "theme" nights so that I don't have to do too much thinking about what's for dinner on any particular night, and the kids generally know what to expect.  Wildcard nights are for something I happened to find on a manager's special, a good sale, or using up what's in the freezer. I like to do a roast or something that can generate leftovers to use for another meal.  Or sometimes we'll have soup and sandwiches, salad with chicken on top, or fish if it's a good price. 

Baked Eggs in a Maple Toast Cup

¼ C butter

¼ C maple syrup

3 slices bacon, crumbled

6 slices bread, crusts removed and rolled flat

6 eggs

½ C milk

salt and pepper

Butter a muffin pan.

Melt butter and syrup together.

Dip bread into butter mixture and press muffin cups.

Sprinkle bacon into cups.

Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, & pepper.  Top off muffin cups with egg mixture.

Bake 15 minutes at 400.