Menu

Sigh... I've got a "would you eat this" for y'all.

Seasider

I would toss it.  

I'm not sure you can always tell chicken has gone off by smell. I sometimes buy the freezer packs of chicken from Costco and even if I open one the same day I bring it home, well before sell-by date, they always stink.  I can barely stand to use them.  There has never been a problem with sickness from using them, so I guess it's just chicken smell.  Maybe it would smell different/worse if it was really bad.  Hard to imagine. 

I let it come closer to room temp and it did not pass the smell test. Marbel, I agree, I don't think it smells icky even when fresh, but this one is definitely off. Thank goodness tomorrow is trash day!

[ETA - I meant to say I DO agree, I think even fresh chicken DOES smell icky. ]

I know they last longer than a day or two, but I wasn't sure how long. I guess I've been reading too many articles on bone broth recipes in which the stuff is left brewing for a solid week.

Ah, well, I was hoping to avoid a grocery run since my list for the week isn't organized yet. Guess I better tie up my tennies and get going.

I let it come closer to room temp and it did not pass the smell test. Marbel, I agree, I don't think it smells icky even when fresh, but this one is definitely off. Thank goodness tomorrow is trash day!

I know they last longer than a day or two, but I wasn't sure how long. I guess I've been reading too many articles on bone broth recipes in which the stuff is left brewing for a solid week.

Ah, well, I was hoping to avoid a grocery run since my list for the week isn't organized yet. Guess I better tie up my tennies and get going.

Sorry you had to toss it. I hate it when I don't remember I have something until it has already expired!!!

I would toss it.

I'm not sure you can always tell chicken has gone off by smell. I sometimes buy the freezer packs of chicken from Costco and even if I open one the same day I bring it home, well before sell-by date, they always stink. I can barely stand to use them. There has never been a problem with sickness from using them, so I guess it's just chicken smell. Maybe it would smell different/worse if it was really bad. Hard to imagine.

There is a distinct difference between raw chicken smell and rotting chicken smell. Probably because I grew up eating out of discount bins and food banks I am very familiar with the difference. ;). Fresh raw chicken has an odor but when it starts to go the odor is distinctly stronger and more sour. I usually throw all raw chicken in the freezer unless it's on the menu in the next day, maybe 2. I'd rather freeze it for a day or two or three than let it sit in the fridge. Another option is to roast two chickens at the same time and immediately use the second one for salad and soup meat and start making broth.

I usually throw all raw chicken in the freezer unless it's on the menu in the next day, maybe 2. I'd rather freeze it for a day or two or three than let it sit in the fridge.

I have been cooking for decades, I should have had this wise practice figured out by now. I am just not disciplined to take stock of my fridge regularly enough. Gotta change my ways, groceries are too expensive these days to waste anything.

There is a distinct difference between raw chicken smell and rotting chicken smell. Probably because I grew up eating out of discount bins and food banks I am very familiar with the difference. ;). Fresh raw chicken has an odor but when it starts to go the odor is distinctly stronger and more sour. I usually throw all raw chicken in the freezer unless it's on the menu in the next day, maybe 2. I'd rather freeze it for a day or two or three than let it sit in the fridge. Another option is to roast two chickens at the same time and immediately use the second one for salad and soup meat and start making broth.

Good to know.  I'll try to pay attention and see if I can train my nose to tell the difference.

I'm trying to get into the habit of freezing chicken in typical recipe-sized "bundles" when I get home from the store.  When I do that, my cooking life is so much easier.   I often roast a chicken or put one in the crockpot to cook for meat and broth for a future meal.   Having a freezer stock of cooked chicken is nice too.   

Yeah, whole chickens used to be pretty cheap. Now, it's getting on towards $10 for a conventionally raised, factory farmed bird. I did a triple take the last time I saw the price on the twin packs of chickens at Costco.

Seriously???  I paid about that for farm-raised, free range birds.  Yay, Hutterites!

You can't always tell by smell that food has gone bad. I got salmonella poisoning from a seafood dip that tasted and smelled just fine. Plenty of nasty bacteria can be found on chickens right from the grocery store. I generally push the limits, but particularly since I got food poisoning, I've been more careful. Nine days would be past my limit too.

Sorry you had to throw the chicken away :( I really hate having to do that!

Seafood dip is a lot different than a chicken that will be cooked to a very high temp and consumed hot. Most of the the fish that I see for sale doesn't pass my sniff test, forget about the dates. The fridge temps and those ice cases at the grocery stores are too warm for seafood. I only buy it super fresh from a fish market or frozen solid on the boat.

Seafood dip is a lot different than a chicken that will be cooked to a very high temp and consumed hot. Most of the the fish that I see for sale doesn't pass my sniff test, forget about the dates. The fridge temps and those ice cases at the grocery stores are too warm for seafood. I only buy it super fresh from a fish market or frozen solid on the boat.

OK, but my point is that the bacteria that can cause food poisoning can be present in food that still looks and smells just fine. And many bacteria, while killed by cooking to the right temps, leave behind waste products that can also give you food poisoning. Those waste products are not destroyed by heat.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/basics/mistakes/

http://www.caes.uga.edu/departments/fst/extension/documents/FoodPoisoning-FoodInfection.pdf

"True food poisoning or food intoxication is caused by eating food that contains a toxin or poison due to bacterial growth in food. The bacteria which produced and excreted the toxic waste products into the food may be killed, but the toxin they produced causes the illness or digestive upset to occur. Staphylococcus aureus and Clostridium botulinum are two species of bacteria that cause food poisoning."

Nine days is plenty of time for that extra bacterial growth and consequent production of waste materials to occur. It's worth $10 for me to not take the chance on making my kids sick.

ETA: And just for extra-fun bedtime reading:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/02/the-high-cost-of-cheap-chicken/index.htm

I am not a germophobe at all, and I don't generally worry about my food (or my world in general) this way, but like I mentioned above, even I am only willing to push the envelope so far before I'm beyond my comfort level. 

I've never had food poisoning from anything that I have prepared at home. My nose has never led me wrong on what to eat or not, regardless of all of the cautionary tales otherwise. I am not saying to be reckless just that people can usually trust their eyes and noses when cooking at home. Eating stuff that has been siting in the danger zone is more of a concern for me than deciding what (and how) to cook. I don't like to let raw chicken or fish sit in my fridge at all. It's just a contamination issue and my menu might change. Easier to defrost.