Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW7

Robin M

I finally give in and put a Susanna Kearsley on the kindle and you stop liking them as much.....anyway I did the Shadowy Horses which I think you loved.

Moonspinners is a huge favorite of mine. Just reread it with dd last fall. Mary Stewart was the first adult author I was allowed from the library. As I remember the movie compares well. Possibly a bit more action packed with the book more romatic but it has been awhile since I saw the movie.

I finished Susanna Kearsley's, 'Mariana'. It held my interest enough to keep on with it. Writing was mediocre, characterization mediocre, story line mediocre, yet another clunky plot twist and still on I went with it. I'm wondering why...Inexplicably this cat perfectly sums up the ambiguous nature of my feelings about it...

[Next on the fiction roster the choice is between 'A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar', August is a Wicked Month or The Moonspinners

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a Georgette Heyer mystery, Why Shoot a Butler?, that was a Kindle deal last week.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Back to Lewis.  Really.

Book Reviews

1. The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L Sayers

2. A To Z with C.S. Lewis by Louis A Markos

3. Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

4. Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

5. The Magic Apple Tree by Susan Hill

6. Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer

OK, people, stop it!  :001_smile:  I had 90 minutes in the public library last night while my daughter participated in a teen volunteer thing (reading buddies, listening to little kids read/coaching them/reading to them) and did I spend my time reading?   Oh no. Spent it looking up book recommendations I've gleaned here.  Came home with 4 more books to read!  Uh, when? 

Reamde looks really cool and I think my 16-year-old would like it.  However having read the first 1.5 of Stephenson's 3-part (?) Baroque Cycle I am concerned about sexual content.  Some of the stuff in those books was just plain icky to me and I am generally not squeamish or easily shocked.   Anyone have a comment on Reamde in that regard?  

I finally give in and put a Susanna Kearsley on the kindle and you stop liking them as much.....anyway I did the Shadowy Horses which I think you loved.

Moonspinners is a huge favorite of mine. Just reread it with dd last fall. Mary Stewart was the first adult author I was allowed from the library. As I remember the movie compares well. Possibly a bit more action packed with the book more romatic but it has been awhile since I saw the movie.

:lol:

Actually it was 'The Winter Sea' which I enjoyed most of the three I've read of hers. I've got 'The Rose Garden' waiting but am taking a break for a book or two.

The Moonspinners looks kind of 'retro-fun' if that makes sense. Interesting how one begins a relationship with a book before it's even begun. I've got it as an actual book though because it's not available in ebook form. I am so wedded to my kindle that I'm dragging my feet a bit at having to read a book that requires the use of my reading glasses and proper light :smilielol5:

OK, people, stop it!  :001_smile:  I had 90 minutes in the public library last night while my daughter participated in a teen volunteer thing (reading buddies, listening to little kids read/coaching them/reading to them) and did I spend my time reading?   Oh no. Spent it looking up book recommendations I've gleaned here.  Came home with 4 more books to read!  Uh, when?

Titles please :D

I now have The Winter Sea on hold. :lol:

I prefer my kindle too. I picked up 30 plus books from the library here yesterday. All hardcopies that my other libraries don't have. I keep a list all year just for this moment. Lots of fluff etc. All those books in 5 pretty hectic weeks. I am a fast reader but not sure that I can do it. ;) I am helping circulation numbers.....

Actually it was 'The Winter Sea' which I enjoyed most of the three I've read of hers. I've got 'The Rose Garden' waiting but am taking a break for a book or two.

The Moonspinners looks kind of 'retro-fun' if that makes sense. Interesting how one begins a relationship with a book before it's even begun. I've got it as an actual book though because it's not available in ebook form. I am so wedded to my kindle that I'm dragging my feet a bit at having to read a book that requires the use of my reading glasses and proper light :smilielol5:

OK, I love Mary Stewart's gothic romances, so I put The Winter Sea on hold at my library.  Hold #2 upon return ...

Last night (well, early this morning), I finished one of Carla Kelly's Harlequin historical romances, The Surgeon's Lady.  This was a lovely read; it's a book I'd seen frequently recommended on romance sites so I was happy to stumble across it at a thrift store.  The book takes place during the Napoleonic wars and is set in England in 1809.  I doubt anyone here would find the content offensive (barring taking offense at man's inhumanity to man/woman or finding distasteful the gore associated with war and hospitals).

"As a surgeon in the Royal Navy, Lieutenant Philemon Brittle has proved his bravery countless times. But he's never known the thrill that comes with falling in love. Until he meets the beautiful Lady Laura Taunton, who has turned to nursing the wounded as solace from her unhappy past.

Philemon will need to draw upon every bit of his strength and determination to convince the marriage-shy Laura that establishing a life together is the truest path to love and happiness...."

Here are a couple of reviews: 

one   

two.

Regards,

Kareni

The second one in the review looks good also. I put them both on my written list to read when I catch up a bit. Harlequin Historical romances are far better than I remember them being. I have read several in the past few months and all have been good.

Last night (well, early this morning), I finished one of Carla Kelly's Harlequin historical romances, The Surgeon's Lady.  This was a lovely read; it's a book I'd seen frequently recommended on romance sites so I was happy to stumble across it at a thrift store.  The book takes place during the Napoleonic wars and is set in England in 1809.  I doubt anyone here would find the content offensive (barring taking offense at man's inhumanity to man/woman or finding distasteful the gore associated with war and hospitals).

"As a surgeon in the Royal Navy, Lieutenant Philemon Brittle has proved his bravery countless times. But he's never known the thrill that comes with falling in love. Until he meets the beautiful Lady Laura Taunton, who has turned to nursing the wounded as solace from her unhappy past.

Philemon will need to draw upon every bit of his strength and determination to convince the marriage-shy Laura that establishing a life together is the truest path to love and happiness...."

Here are a couple of reviews: 

one   

two.

Regards,

Kareni

Titles please :D

OK, now keep in  mind this is in addition to many other library books we have at home.  We have this habit of going to the library and just grabbing stuff indiscriminately off the shelves.   We also do a lot of requesting.  We don't read them all, of course.  We are browsers and rejecters of books.  

So, I picked up the aforementioned Reamde.  Will hand that off to my husband, a Stephenson fan, who will not have time to read it but might appreciate the gesture.  I'd like one of us to preview for our boy. 

Then there is The Queen's Man by Sharon Kay Penman, which is not a direct recommendation but There be Dragons looked so huge but this seemed like it might be manageable.

The Flanders Panel because our library did not have any Iain Pears novels on hand and this is art-related.

This is not even directly related to recommendations here, but I saw it on the shelf and the name called to me:  Blessed Are The Cheesemakers.  You don't know that we call our home Chez Fromage because if there are fewer than 5 kinds of cheese in our fridge, something is wrong. Looks like a fluffy, fun, book. 

Oh and one more, again not a recommendation but you people had me walking all over the library last night:  A History of the World in Twelve Maps which is partly for me and partly for my son.

(I probably mention my son more than my daughter.  She chooses her own books right now, thank you very much, Mom's help is not required.  Her choices lately are a mix of YA novels, Tolkein, and Homer.  Um, heavy on the YA.) 

This is not even directly related to recommendations here, but I saw it on the shelf and the name called to me:  Blessed Are The Cheesemakers.  You don't know that we call our home Chez Fromage because if there are fewer than 5 kinds of cheese in our fridge, something is wrong. Looks like a fluffy, fun, book. 

Hmm, I also live chez La Maison du Fromage and might have to check that out.

modern sci-fi/fantasy that I love is almost exclusively written by women.

You are beautiful!

As far as fantasy goes, I do love Wrede, but my favorites are David Eddings and Robert Jordan.  Eddings being my favorite overall.  

And thanks for the compliment!  :001_wub:

Still praying for your dd and little grandbaby.

It is far from being my favorite Austen, but I am very fond of it - but I am a sucker for stories that weight friendship, respect, shared values over sudden, selfish passions...

Assorted thoughts:

A road trip?!  Oh, how fun!  ..though given how many of us have motion sickness, perhaps meeting up at a cabin the woods, or a cottage at the seashore would work better... I wish we could really get together in real life...

Eat, Pray, Love:  I went through a massive read of travel memoirs a number of years ago, and I think this was one of several that had a woman exploring a variety of communities.  ...and they each rubbed me the wrong way.  They felt like... spiritual tourism.  That isn't quite right... cultural too... it felt... shallow feels unfair, and disrespectful of their genuine searching and sincere reactions.... but it still bothered me.  [stacia, you are indeed a kind and gracious reader - may you always be given the generous credit and benefit of the doubt you extend to all around you, author or reader, you are amazing!]

Mansfield Park was not one of my favorites to read through, but I agree with your statement above.  My dd19 is a mix of Marianne Dashwood and Fanny Price with some Catherine Morland thrown in, so I have come to appreciate Fanny a bit more.  I'm almost 100% Marianne.  It was much worse when I was younger  :blush:  I have some Emma thrown in as well.  

I vote a cottage at the seashore!

Spiritual tourism!  That's great!  Like I said, I didn't make it through very many chapters of the book (and I did sit through the movie), but what turned me off right away was her spiritual searching and what she said about it and compared it to.  As a firm believer in my God (I won't use the word religion, don't like that connotation) the wishy-washy, casual approach to her seeking really bothered me.  I, too, do not belittle a person's true search for the truth, but I, personally, am uncomfortable reading about that search when I felt it took casual liberties with my own faith.  Hmm, I'm trying to see if I worded that right to not offend anyone here and to get across what I'm trying to say.  Yep, that's all I'll say.  Anything else might not work.  I think I'm going to use the words "spiritual tourism" a lot in future IRL conversations  ;) What a great term!

<snippety snip>

If I could only have one classic novel on a desert island, Middlemarch would be it.  I first read it in my mid-teens, and each reread has added so much - but always the integrity, the heart, the sense of responsibility, and the way one sees how interwoven our lives are... how one person's choices can change the life of someone s/he's never met...

Oh my, I don't think I could answer that question...how wonderful that you know that.

I believe poetry lives in a liminal space - between prose and music, between intellect and intuition, on the boundaries of heart/soul/mind... and that one can/should neither read it like a prose puzzle nor leave out the intellect.    ...but the puzzle side of the equation gets so much more airtime... it is wonderful to hear the beautiful arguments you (and others) have made for the other piece.

I think the bolded is key - analysis works best, imho, when done after one has an appreciation of the poem... then looking at *how* it moved or shocked or amused me is fascinating.  Seeing the way form works with (or against, to create tension)  content, seeing the way rhythm is created and how that sets a certain mood... all of that is amazing, but I think it has to be secondary. 

I like this, particularly the bolded and it makes me realize that poetry is much more of an intuitive experience than an intellectual one for me. Of course that doesn't preclude developing the latter which might be an interesting direction to go in for this poetry reader.

I have just started Terry Eagleton's How to Read a Poem, and it has the same delights for me that his How to Read Literature did... perhaps you might like it?

He begins by making a case for "what I myself had been trained to regard as literary criticism"

"Most students, faced with a novel or a poem, spontaneously come up with what is commonly known as 'content analysis'/ They give accounts of works of literature which describe what is going on in them, perhaps with a few evaluative comments thrown in... they treat the poem as 'language' but not as 'discourse'"

"...they treat the poem as though its author chose for some eccentric reason to write our his or her views on warfare or sexuality in lines which do not reach the end of the page.  Maybe the computer got stuck."

He then spend the next 4 pages on a brilliant close reading based analysis of Auden's Musee des Beaux Arts (a poem I have always loved) showing how the form shapes the impact of the poem.

My pioneering intuitive self bristles at being told 'how to read a poem' and yet his analysis of Auden's Musee des Beaux Arts sounds intriguing.

A road trip?!  Oh, how fun!  ..though given how many of us have motion sickness, perhaps meeting up at a cabin the woods, or a cottage at the seashore would work better... I wish we could really get together in real life...

Seashore sounds lovely :D

[stacia, you are indeed a kind and gracious reader - may you always be given the generous credit and benefit of the doubt you extend to all around you, author or reader, you are amazing!]

You seem to be painted with the same brush of generosity yourself, Eliana.

And finally, I have always loved that Sandburg poem with its intimations of felinity's collusion with the weather gods.

Hmm, I also live chez La Maison du Fromage and might have to check that out.

Thank you for correcting our clumsy French.  When I was growing up my parents frequented a restaurant called Chez Ami which had been translated for me "house of friends."   All these years of having it wrong!  :D   Glad we never made a sign... ;)

the modern sci-fi/fantasy that I love is almost exclusively written by women.

Joan Sloczewski, Ann Leckie, Connie Willis, Sherwood Smith, Lois McMaster Bujold, Jo Walton, Pamela Dean, Emma Bull, Marie Brennan, Robin McKinley, Patricia Wrede...

So, if I absolutely adore most of Connie Willis's work, which one of these authors would I also be sure to like?

So my hopes came true. What a sacrifice Snape endured, even misunstood unto his death. I am glad that I liked this guy all the way, mainly because I believed in the goodness of Dumbledore and also a friend told me the ending would be very surprising. J. K. Rowling is amazing hiding it all so well to the end.

I, too, kept my faith in Snape. My dh wavered and was convinced Snape was on the dark side. I remained loyal to Snape. I knew he'd reward me for believing in him and he did.

Marbel -- Please let us know if your dh reads Reamde. I clicked on the link and my ds would probably love it -- he aspires to being a game programmer. I am putting on my list but impossible to read a 1000 page book as a preread right now.

I think I may just print out this whole thread.  So.much.awesome.

I had a lot of running around for dr. appointments today, so I listened to almost half of Neil Gaiman's recording of Stardust.  I love that book. 

Hoping all is well with you health-wise.

I've got 'Stardust' on my 5/5/5 list, one of my categories being Fairy Tales/Myth. The other four books under that heading are : 'The White Goddess' by Robert Graves, 'Feminist Fairy Tales' by Barbara Walker, 'The Princess Bride' by William Golding and either one of the Lang fairy books or Harding's 'Women's Mysteries :: Ancient and Modern'. Underpinning all that will be James Frazer's 'The Golden Bough'.

Hoping all is well with you health-wise.

I've got 'Stardust' on my 5/5/5 list, one of my categories being Fairy Tales/Myth. The other four books under that heading are : 'The White Goddess' by Robert Graves, 'Feminist Fairy Tales' by Barbara Walker, 'The Princess Bride' by William Golding and either one of the Lang fairy books or Harding's 'Women's Mysteries :: Ancient and Modern'. Underpinning all that will be James Frazer's 'The Golden Bough'.

Those are on my eventual "to read" list.  I should really bump them up since I'm on a kick lately. :) Dh keeps telling me to read 'The Princess Bride', so maybe I'll have to do that one first, since I own it. Have you read The Witch Must Die?  I have a whole Amazon list of fairy tale books/interpretations and discussion.  It's a favorite topic.  

Those are on my eventual "to read" list.  I should really bump them up since I'm on a kick lately. :) Dh keeps telling me to read 'The Princess Bride', so maybe I'll have to do that one first, since I own it. Have you read The Witch Must Die?  I have a whole Amazon list of fairy tale books/interpretations and discussion.  It's a favorite topic.  

I have not read that one but your link sent me on a little trip as my eye caught Bettelheim's classic, 'The Uses of Enchantment' (onto the list that went) as well as von Franz's 'The Feminine in Fairy Tales' (onto the list) and then I had to be realistic and stop there :lol:

In our home the myths and fairy tales have tended more to a non-western slant with The Ramayana and The Mahabharata and stories of Nasruddin and the like. The others have been enjoyed and read but these listed above get much more discussion and attention.

Yes, ds was given this as a gift at one point. He and dh have read (and loved) Buck's version several times. They are currently watching the Ramayana on youtube after watching and *loving* all 94 episodes of the Mahabharata in Hindi with subtitles. Ds has also danced the Ramayana so it's very much a part of our family mythology :D

Marbel -- Please let us know if your dh reads Reamde. I clicked on the link and my ds would probably love it -- he aspires to being a game programmer. I am putting on my list but impossible to read a 1000 page book as a preread right now.

I will, but I doubt he will get to it; he loves to read but does a lot of reading for work so not a lot of time for pleasure reading right now.  I may try to skim it myself. 

reading Clarissa was such a claustrophobic, nightmare experience for me

You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

It is far from being my favorite Austen, but I am very fond of it - but I am a sucker for stories that weight friendship, respect, shared values over sudden, selfish passions...

I couldn't help reading it as a story of a teenage girl who told a man whom she had no interest in, and whom she had never approached even as a friend, and whom she loathed upon acquaintance, very clearly that she wanted him never to speak to her or visit her again; upon which the man decided the right course of action was to try harder, and the people who were supposed to be protecting her decided to bully her into changing her mind and force her into the man's presence. Should sweet, innocent, meek Fanny try to change Henry Crawford's character through the power of his love for her, until he's the kind of man she can love? No, she should freaking call the police.

This was perhaps not the right book for me in my life right now.

Fun little thing to do. Go to your book stash and pull out all books you own but have not read. Set them aside. Post here with the amount.

I did that last night and found that I own 27 books I have not read. So what did I do today at the library sale? Bought 2 more books to add to that pile. :lol:

So my goal is to reach for those books more often. Starting tonight. I read this one that I've had for awhile.

Fun little thing to do. Go to your book stash and pull out all books you own but have not read. Set them aside. Post here with the amount.

I did that last night and found that I own 27 books I have not read.

Only 27?  I wouldn't dare do this exercise as a) it would take too much time and B) I'm not sure I can count that high!  (Okay, the number would certainly be in the hundreds.)

ETA: How curious.  I've just learned that typing the letter b and following it with ) results in an emoticon.  The first I believe I've ever used on the board!

Regards,

Kareni

I finished Don Quixote and I am perplexed on how to rate it.  Parts of it I really enjoyed and parts of it I merely survived.

Â Ă¢â‚¬Å“For, what greater sign of disorder, said he to himself, can there be, than for a man to clap on a helmet full of curds, and then take it into his head, that some magician had liquefied his skull, and what more certain proof of fool-hardiness and wild madness, than for a person, in spite of all that can be said to him, to resolve to engage lions.Ă¢â‚¬ Pg 538

I LOVE The Princess Bride.  The book, and the movie.   :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:

I was going to quote from one of the links Robin posted a few days back that had The Princess Bride in its list.  In the little blurb about the book, the author of the linked post had called Westley, Wesley.   :angry:  

[edited to remove picture]

LOL  That's a pet peeve of mine.  Along with people misquoting the movie.   :thumbdown:    :lol:

I got this copy last year, and it is beautiful:

[edited to remove picture]

My only complaint is that there weren't enough pictures.  LOL

I did that last night and found that I own 27 books I have not read. So what did I do today at the library sale? Bought 2 more books to add to that pile. :lol:

So my goal is to reach for those books more often. Starting tonight. I read this one that I've had for awhile.

That would be a disaster.  I'm going to go with more than 100. My MIL gives me books I'm only mildly interested in sometimes, I stock up at library sales, and buy a lot of vintage books I'm afraid to open.  :coolgleamA:

I finished my 13th century challenge! "The More I See of You" by Lynn Kurland. At one point in my life I owned most of this author's books. They are fluffy historical romances that normally involve time travel. It was a fun trip back to the past, both my old reading tastes and the 13th century.

Also read the second of CS Harris' Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries titled "When Gods Die". It took place in 19th century England during the reign of the mad Georges. These are good, enjoyable historical mysteries. I think the people here who enjoy Laurie Kings Mary Russell books might like these.

I'm here. Probably short chiming in as I am touch typing on an iPad.

All is well for us. Some ice, no power lost. Thanks so much for asking about me. :-)

For group get together, I vote little cabin in the woods for skiing. Because... Heehee... We headed out for a quick trip to ski this weekend. So, was busy traveling today. Roads surprisingly ok on our drive.

Didn't pack much in the way of reading material. Gasp! (Packed in rather a last minute hurry & we had a small window of time we tried to get on the road so as to leave after some ice melted & try to arrive before freezing temps & dark at destination. Rather a whirlwind this morning.) Tried my (too hard) sudoku book I brought along. Blah. Fortunately, a few books stashed here in cabin we are renting. So, have now started The French Connection. Did not realize this is non-fiction & somehow always thought it was a spy book of sorts. Liking it so far.

Enjoying the great thoughtful posts. Probably will get around to responding to them in the upcoming week. A challenge to you poetry-loving, scared of surrealism BaWers ;-) : read Altazor this year. (Of course, I am sure that will result in a challenge lobbed my way & I must admit that scares me. So be gentle, please. Lol.)

Hope all is well for those in the grip of the winter storm. Eaglei & Eliana, continuing to hold your children & you in warm thoughts & prayers.... Many hugs, my friends.

I don't think we've heard from Stacia today. Probably got snowed in by the latest storm. Anybody else missing?  Sending warm thoughts from balmy California.

Yes, she's been uncharacteristically quiet ;) Oops, there you are, Stacia, cross posting with me :seeya: Travel safely.

I finished my 13th century challenge! "The More I See of You" by Lynn Kurland. At one point in my life I owned most of this author's books. They are fluffy historical romances that normally involve time travel. It was a fun trip back to the past, both my old reading tastes and the 13th century.

Also read the second of CS Harris' Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries titled "When Gods Die". It took place in 19th century England during the reign of the mad Georges. These are good, enjoyable historical mysteries. I think the people here who enjoy Laurie Kings Mary Russell books might like these.

Based on the couple of books of that ilk that I've read I'm starting to think I might actually like time-travel as a genre depending on the time traveled to which is somewhat of a surprise to me.

Could it be possible that there might be an intersection of literary interests between us? :lol:

Someone upthread mentioned Connie Willis whom I looked up. I've put two of her books, 'To Say Nothing of the Dog' and 'All Clear' on a tentative tbr list. They seem to be a cross between time-travel and sci-fi fantasy, the latter not being a genre I have much experience with.

As for your Altazor dare...hmm, it's late, I'm tired after a long evening commute for classes and my first glance at it wasn't encouraging. Is this a serious request?

Well, yes, I meant it as a serious request.

I think I can say it is the only piece of poetry I've read (which is, admittedly, not much) which made my heart & mind soar. Plus, I thought the notes about translation were quite fascinating.

So...

Surreal? Check.

International/Around-the-World selection? Check.

Poetry? Check.

Time travel? Perhaps a check. Suppose it depends on how you read it....

Thought it might be another intersection....

"Huidobro's great poem is the most radical experiment in the modern era. It is an epic that tells the adventures, not of a hero, but of a poet in the changing skies of language. Throughout the seven cantos we see Altazor subject language to violent or erotic acts: mutilations and divisions, copulations and juxtapositions. The English translation of this poem that bristles with complexities is another epic feat, and its hero is Eliot Weinberger." (Octavio Paz)

Random thoughts in the wee hours when I should really be in bed...

Thinking of any of you trapped in the snowstorm!  I do hope everyone is okay.  (And I'm glad Stacia was found.  ;) )

I "only" own a few dozen unread physical books.  But let's not discuss what's on my Kindle... I am sure it was over 100 at last count, and that was several impulse purchases ago!

A resounding YES to many kinds of cheese in the house, relearning French (which wasn't really discussed, but it popped to mind with the cheese conversation), and a seaside cottage retreat. 

Oh, and what I'm reading... I gave up on The Goldfinch.  It was just not doing a thing for me, I kept avoiding it, so off it went.  However....

(Stacia, are you sitting down??)

I'm really loving Wuthering Heights!  :D  Although I think I may be taking a different tack entirely with it... it was said that the book is unliked because all the characters are so unlikeable and deeply flawed.  Honestly, for me, I'm taking it as a bit of a satire... the characters are just *so* deliciously hideous that it's fascinating.