Book a Week in 2014 - BW7

Robin M

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“What Not To Read†— A Different Sort Of Book Club

I named the group “What Not To Read.â€

The rules were simple. Each member of the book club (this was a one-time meeting at the library where I worked) had to bring at least one book that he or she absolutely hated, and talk everyone else out of reading it.

http://bookriot.com/2014/02/06/read-different-sort-book-club/

The rules were simple. Each member of the book club (this was a one-time meeting at the library where I worked) had to bring at least one book that he or she absolutely hated, and talk everyone else out of reading it.

:thumbup1:

It's funny because I had just been thinking about starting another (sure to be long) topic of... name a few books you loathe. :rofl:

Hmmm. I have my list ready. :D

This was fun! Three books I loved were on their detest list though I was happy to see 'Eat, Pray, Love' on someone's list in the comments section. While I wouldn't say I detested it it was definitely on my intensely dislike list. I think I'm one of five other people who felt similarly :lol:

And reading that article sent the boat of my mind adrift as it stopped in at various other ports linked there. Here's an interesting article on Wilkie Collins's, 'The Moonstone', which we touched upon last week a bit. http://bookriot.com/2014/02/10/read-luminaries-moonstone/

Some random thoughts:

One of our favorite read-alouds:

The Great Turkey Walk

Some books containing books, reading, or libraries( fiction and non-fiction that I have enjoyed, some more than others):

The City of Dreaming Books

The Name of the Rose

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

84 Charing Cross Road

The Book Thief

The People of the Book

The Last Dickens

The Sisters of Sinai

The Night Bookmobile

The Eyre Affair (and others in the series)

The Shadow of the Wind

Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much

The Bookman's Tale

A book I love to hate:

Anna Karenina :leaving:

This was fun! Three books I loved were on their detest list though I was happy to see 'Eat, Pray, Love' on someone's list in the comments section. While I wouldn't say I detested it it was definitely on my intensely dislike list. I think I'm one of five other people who felt similarly :lol:

I intensely disliked it enough that I didn't make it past the first few chapters.   :laugh:

:lol:

(Pssst. I loved Eat, Pray, Love. :leaving: )

Books I love to hate: :p

Perfume by Patrick Suskind (worst ending ever, plus parts of the book are just gross)

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (every character is a horrible person; why did I spend hours of my time with total & complete jerks?)

Twilight (even though I didn't finish the book, I will list it here; I think it glorifies domestic abuse/stalking as being 'romantic', a dangerous message for teens, imo; the writing itself is terrible; plus, my lightweight comment: vampires do not sparkle)

:laugh:

Some books containing books, reading, or libraries( fiction and non-fiction that I have enjoyed, some more than others):

The City of Dreaming Books

The Name of the Rose

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

84 Charing Cross Road

The Book Thief

The People of the Book

The Last Dickens

The Sisters of Sinai

The Night Bookmobile

The Eyre Affair (and others in the series)

The Shadow of the Wind

Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much

The Bookman's Tale

Great list! :thumbup1:

A couple that I'm thinking of (that I've never read):

The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel

My Ideal Bookshelf by Thessaly La Force (recommended by some BaWers...)

In my mind this book is hovering, literally, between my tbr pile and a 'not interested' pile. Honestly, I see it hanging there in the gloaming trying to decide which pile it wants to be in. I'm intrigued by the poetry of the premise but scared off by the surrealist possibilities...

Just curious... what is scary about surrealist possibilities?

For fans of WWII fiction, looks like a great book is coming out in May: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, a stunningly ambitious and beautiful novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

Marie Laure lives with her father in Paris within walking distance of the Museum of Natural History where he works as the master of the locks (there are thousands of locks in the museum). When she is six, she goes blind, and her father builds her a model of their neighborhood, every house, every manhole, so she can memorize it with her fingers and navigate the real streets with her feet and cane. When the Germans occupy Paris, father and daughter flee to Saint-Malo on the Brittany coast, where Marie-Laure's agoraphobic great uncle lives in a tall, narrow house by the sea wall.

In another world in Germany, an orphan boy, Werner, grows up with his younger sister, Jutta, both enchanted by a crude radio Werner finds. He becomes a master at building and fixing radios, a talent that wins him a place at an elite and brutal military academy and, ultimately, makes him a highly specialized tracker of the Resistance. Werner travels through the heart of Hitler Youth to the far-flung outskirts of Russia, and finally into Saint-Malo, where his path converges with Marie-Laure.

Doerr's gorgeous combination of soaring imagination with observation is electric. Deftly interweaving the lives of Marie-Laure and Werner, Doerr illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another. Ten years in the writing, "All the Light We Cannot See" is his most ambitious and dazzling work.

For fans of WWII fiction, looks like a great book is coming out in May: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Sounds like quite a gorgeous book, imo. Early reviews on Goodreads also look promising.

Oh, this looks so good!  I hadn't considered myself a fan of WWII fiction,having read just a handful of books over the years, but it seems I am being drawn more and more toward it.   I wonder if that has to do with all the WWII nonfiction my son has around the house.  He reads/tells little snips of information to me; he has quite an interest.  Maybe a bit of it is rubbing off on me, though he is more interested in combat while I am becoming more interested in the social history.

I am in heaven!  Let it rain, let it snow, let the ice storm cometh.  A dramatization of Barchester Towers is on BBC Radio 4!  (Fellow Trollope fans--my fellow trollops?--its availability is limited.)

Ooh! The whole Barsetshire Chronicles, or just the second novel?

Not that it matters; I can't get five minutes in a row to listen to BBC news around here; I don't think I'll be listening to Trollope. Where do y'all find time to listen to broadcasts and podcasts and audiobooks, anyway? Seriously - this is a variation of the "when do you find time to read?" question. I have to tune out everybody just to try to read a book.

I have about a hundred pages left of Don Quixote and think I would have done well to have a study guide when reading it.  There is so much darkness to it- the cruelty in the pranks, the contrasting poor character of the "sane" people versus the chivalrous Don Quixote.  I think I'll need some light reading after this.

I intensely disliked it enough that I didn't make it past the first few chapters.   :laugh:

Hehe, well that's two of us, I wonder who the other three are :lol:

Just curious... what is scary about surrealist possibilities?

Perhaps 'scary' is the wrong word. Deterred would be more accurate. There is a certain tension underlying the surrealist lit I've attempted, a kind of weight, or not-quite-darkness, that feels if not menacing then not inviting. The material doesn't care if I finish it or not is how it feels. I would consider Alice in Wonderland to be a fairly surrealist bit of lit and I realized as I reread it to my dc that while I was fascinated with it I never actually liked it, not as a child and even less as an adult. And yet it has stayed with me, perhaps because it was so bizarre and we had one with those marvelous Victorian illustrations on glossy sepia-ish paper.

Not that it matters; I can't get five minutes in a row to listen to BBC news around here; I don't think I'll be listening to Trollope. Where do y'all find time to listen to broadcasts and podcasts and audiobooks, anyway? Seriously - this is a variation of the "when do you find time to read?" question. I have to tune out everybody just to try to read a book.

Apparently they aired a dramatization of The Warden last month.  I don't know where they are heading after the Towers. 

How do I find time?  My homeschooling days are over for one thing.  I enjoy having BBC dramatizations on whilst cooking, knitting, etc. but I do not seem to make it through longer audio books.  Perhaps if I were driving long distances? 

I certainly do not read as much as some of our fellow BaWers despite having fewer demands on my time.

Perhaps 'scary' is the wrong word. Deterred would be more accurate. There is a certain tension underlying the surrealist lit I've attempted, a kind of weight, or not-quite-darkness, that feels if not menacing then not inviting. The material doesn't care if I finish it or not is how it feels. I would consider Alice in Wonderland to be a fairly surrealist bit of lit and I realized as I reread it to my dc that while I was fascinated with it I never actually liked it, not as a child and even less as an adult. And yet it has stayed with me, perhaps because it was so bizarre and we had one with those marvelous Victorian illustrations on glossy sepia-ish paper.

I will have to ponder this. It's interesting, though, in that your comments bring The Wizard of Oz to mind for me. (I just made a typo -- that I corrected -- of The Wizard of Ox. :laugh: Actually, I think I would prefer the Ox story....) I have never liked the book nor the movie set in Oz. Very creepy imo (even though it always seemed to be an 'event' to watch the movie on tv every year when I was a kid). <shiver>

Alice bothers me less than Oz. (And, ironically, I have a beautiful, old print edition of The Wizard of Oz from my childhood. Lovely book. Still a creepy story.)

ETA: I will update you after I finish The Way Through Doors. So far, it (to me) seems light, nice; no underlying darkness.

Hehe, well that's two of us, I wonder who the other three are :lol:

Actually, I think there are quite a few folks who don't like Eat, Pray, Love. I remember many (on this thread even?) who disliked it when it was out.

So, there may be more like 15 of you instead... ;)

I haven't had a chance to get on here and update my book progress.  I'm back to reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, by Murakami.  This book has been the strangest Murakami book I've read.  I guess that's because it's cyber-punk, but also post modern and surreal.  It was hard to get into it at first, I think that's because I had just finished Goldfinch and couldn't just jump into another deep book.  I then read Fall of Giants, which was just fun, and now I can stand some Murakami.  The book is amazing.  The story is just weird, but aside from that the writing is as brillant as I've come to expect from Murakami.  I keep hitting passages that I have to just stop and ponder. It will make it slow reading but it's worth it. 

Apparently they aired a dramatization of The Warden last month. I don't know where they are heading after the Towers.

How do I find time? My homeschooling days are over for one thing. I enjoy having BBC dramatizations on whilst cooking, knitting, etc. but I do not seem to make it through longer audio books. Perhaps if I were driving long distances?

If you get nostalgic, you can come homeschool here! I'll give you the schedule and the crate of books and go hide with Mr Trollope. :D

Actually, I think there are quite a few folks who don't like Eat, Pray, Love. I remember many (on this thread even?) who disliked it when it was out.

So, there may be more like 15 of you instead... ;)

I didn't read it because I expected to dislike it.  The premise of the privileged but vaguely unhappy woman abandoning her marriage to go find herself bothers me deeply.   So I never picked it up.

Maybe that is an oversimplification of the book, but... there you go.  Glad it wasn't required reading!

I didn't read it because I expected to dislike it.  The premise of the privileged but vaguely unhappy woman abandoning her marriage to go find herself bothers me deeply.   So I never picked it up.

Maybe that is an oversimplification of the book, but... there you go.  Glad it wasn't required reading!

I saw that complaint many times about the book.

Depending on your viewpoint, it's true that perhaps it comes off that way. Though she tells a little bit about the divorce & 'makes light' of it in the book, it seems to me that her overall tone in the book (very optimistic) probably influenced the way she presented that whole situation.... Meaning, I think, that as an optimist she wanted to 'gloss over' the bad stuff, make herself look at fault (rather than point fingers/drag someone else down/dwell on bad stuff), & move on to sharing the happier/more inspiring part of her story. 

I think in a divorce situation, there is probably a lot going on & it is often something with problems on both sides, not just one. Since she chose not to focus on that, nor to point the blame at anyone but herself, I think too many were quick to assume that she is a callous person. Rather, I took it as she felt a mention of it was somewhat important as to what set her on this path, but focusing more than a few passing comments on it really wasn't integral to her actual story that she wanted to tell.

Don't know if I'm explaining it well (& I could be completely off-base anyway), but I think her presentation of that was widely misunderstood. Which is too bad because I found her story funny, inspiring, & optimistic.

For fans of WWII fiction, looks like a great book is coming out in May: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Sounds like quite a gorgeous book, imo. Early reviews on Goodreads also look promising.

This brings up some ongoing questions for me. There are books (and the above looks to be one of them) that feel like they would be stories of exquisite beauty infused with poetry, a depth of sadness, an intensity of livingness, slings and arrows and all that that I know I don't want to read for the bare fact that I am just not intrepid enough to wade into such compelling slices of humanity. I don't want my porous skin to be touched in such a way. There is just too much in life that offers itself up as exquisitely, beautifully difficult. Things that grow and mature us in ways that we might not necessarily want even though it graces the unfolding of our souls. This world is so fraught and so available to us in ways that often require, on my part, a veil of sorts. Sometimes the veil is as thick and complete as a burka and sometimes it is diaphanous but it's pretty darn rare that there isn't some sort of fabric between me and life.

I think that's why I have been reading non-fiction all these years. And this aversion coincided with motherhood--a crash course in porosity if there ever was one. It's only in the past year that I've ventured back into the realm of fiction. And what I am choosing is even and simple, not particularly multi-dimensional, not anything that's going to rock my inner world. With poetry my aperture is a little wider but still in the cosmos of the comfortable.

In my youth I sought out such intensity and there are many, many books I read back then that I wouldn't touch now. I'm thinking in particular of this one by Etty Hillesum. At the time I read it in my twenties I offered myself to its beauty, allowed the skin of my soul to be fully and completely permeated by the exquisite spectrum of her astonishing humanity in a brutal, unthinkable situation. This is both the story of a luminous spiritual awakening and a devastating account of what a deepening of humanity looks like in an environment where everything is supportive of its opposite. As much as I would like to reread this I just can't right now. Maybe in 20 years by which time I like to imagine that one acquires a kind of perspective that allows all experiences without being so moved by them.

I guess this is a rather elaborate way of saying I've become a bit of a wuss wrt reading

With all the talk last week about a "Flavia" character, I decided to give Alan Bradley a go and started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Fun read so far.

And if the quote below from the book has been shared before, well, I'll just have to share it again because I love it. :001_smile:

"...it occurred to me that Heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. No...eight days a week."

Depending on your viewpoint, it's true that perhaps it comes off that way. Though she tells a little bit about the divorce & 'makes light' of it in the book, it seems to me that her overall tone in the book (very optimistic) probably influenced the way she presented that whole situation.... Meaning, I think, that as an optimist she wanted to 'gloss over' the bad stuff, make herself look at fault (rather than point fingers/drag someone else down/dwell on bad stuff), & move on to sharing the happier/more inspiring part of her story. 

I think in a divorce situation, there is probably a lot going on & it is often something with problems on both sides, not just one. Since she chose not to focus on that, nor to point the blame at anyone but herself, I think too many were quick to assume that she is a callous person. Rather, I took it as she felt a mention of it was somewhat important as to what set her on this path, but focusing more than a few passing comments on it really wasn't integral to her actual story that she wanted to tell.

Don't know if I'm explaining it well (& I could be completely off-base anyway), but I think her presentation of that was widely misunderstood. Which is too bad because I found her story funny, inspiring, & optimistic.

I'm with Stacia on this.  I was taken aback at first by how she seemed to make light of her divorce, but then I got caught up in her descriptions of food in Italy.  Mama Mia!  I loved the section in Italy.  The section in India -- meh, not so much.  But the last section where she falls in love was a lovely ending.

I hated the book by the woman who rebuilt a house in Tuscany.  The arrogant, privileged, ignorant woman who moved to Italy not knowing a single word of Italian and thought her cute little remodel in Tuscany was worthy of anyone's reading time.  Hated the book so much I can't remember the title!  It even was made into a movie.

I will have to ponder this. It's interesting, though, in that your comments bring The Wizard of Oz to mind for me. (I just made a typo -- that I corrected -- of The Wizard of Ox. :laugh: Actually, I think I would prefer the Ox story....) I have never liked the book nor the movie set in Oz. Very creepy imo (even though it always seemed to be an 'event' to watch the movie on tv every year when I was a kid). <shiver>

Alice bothers me less than Oz. (And, ironically, I have a beautiful, old print edition of The Wizard of Oz from my childhood. Lovely book. Still a creepy story.)

ETA: I will update you after I finish The Way Through Doors. So far, it (to me) seems light, nice; no underlying darkness.

Hehe, my ds *loves* ALL the Oz books. Has read all of them numerous times (I think there are something like 10 by Baum) and listened to many of them on audio as well as seeing the movie. He shares that love with dh. Mama, not so much.

Well, I read this and thought gee, Stacia is such a generous reader. Among the book's many other detractions I happened to think the writing wasn't great but you seem to be tuning into a kind of subtext, an unspoken story that the author was also writing in between the lines. I doubt I'd change my feeling about the book but thank you for widening my perspective a bit.

I do most of my reading while I'm waiting on various homeschool classes or music or dance lessons to complete themselves. Also before bed and early in the morning if I wake before the rest of the house.

If you change your math curriculum to Dolciani, you could probably lure Jane out of retirement.

Regards,

Kareni

When you hear the sound of my VW diesel pulling up into your driveway, you know the caped Dolciani proselytizer  tutor has come to call! 

I once had visions of touring cross country, camping out in extra bedrooms or on couches of all my boardie friends, tutoring math and talking books. 

Well, I read this and thought gee, Stacia is such a generous reader. Among the book's many other detractions I happened to think the writing wasn't great but you seem to be tuning into a kind of subtext, an unspoken story that the author was also writing in between the lines. I doubt I'd change my feeling about the book but thank you for widening my perspective a bit.

Thank you for your comment. :grouphug:

I agree that it's not high literature (though it's certainly much better written than Twilight ;) ), but I enjoyed dwelling in her optimism & felt happy that she was sharing the happy, funny parts of her life with a bigger public (including me). And I certainly think that she is someone I would love to travel with because (even though life can have plenty of downsides & bad things), she approaches new people, places, & situations with open arms. It's refreshing. Imo, she truly approaches life as an optimist.

When you hear the sound of my VW diesel pulling up into your driveway, you know the caped Dolciani proselytizer  tutor has come to call! 

I once had visions of touring cross country, camping out in extra bedrooms or on couches of all my boardie friends, tutoring math and talking books. 

I may be done homeschooling but I'm still open to being tutored in math!! 

You're trying to force me to like poetry, aren't you???

While you may feel like this at the beginning of the trip...

By the end of the trip and the infusion of great chocolate and scintillating conversation you may find yourself feeling more like this...

:lol:

I picked up The Shift: How I Finally Lost Weight and Discovered a Happier Life by Tory Johnson at the library yesterday and read it last night. I guess she does some spot on ABC's Good Morning America...not sure, I don't watch. I found it interesting and uplifting in spots. The reviews for it were somewhat negative, which I understand after reading, but at the same time, she made so many comments that resonated with me in regards to overeating and being overweight, that I can't fault her. As busy women, sometimes we just do the best we can do. I am no one to find fault in the way that she lost her weight, although I am a bit jealous that her husband cooks all her meals for her. ;)

Still reading through Fall of Giants, which I am really enjoying! It's a much easier read than I had expected. I am also reading The Truth About Love and Lightning when I occasionally (lol) get on the treadmill. I am enjoying that, too! It kind of reminds me of the magical Sarah Addison Allen, but I'm enjoying it more at this point.

I think I've read through 7 cantos of Dante's Inferno. Goal is to read through the whole thing by the end of the month.

I've always wanted to read Eat, Pray, Love; I enjoyed the movie but heard such terrible reviews of the book. Maybe one day I'll get there....

The reviews of these two books caught my eye this week, titles which we can add to the list of books about books.

The first is My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead, part memoir, part literary history.  

The second is An Unnnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine.  This especially caught my eye after the discussions of female authors and feminism as this is a book about a woman and her books, yet it is written by a man.  

Bad news: My husband is gone until Thursday night. Good News: Because he is gone, he is unable to intercept Valentine's Day and birthday packages.  Guess who got a Kindle Paperwhite for Valentines Day??  YUP, this girl, right here!  I promise to be back to update my reading woes, errrr, I mean tasks.  First, I MUST dig out that link for those WONDERFUL skins!!!