Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW7

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dearhearts.  Today is the start of week 7 in our quest to read 52 Books.  Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress.  Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews.  The link is below in my signature.

52 Books blog - Armchair traveling through Italy:   While the rest of the world's eye is on Sochi in Russia, my eyes are on Italy. We are going to do some armchair traveling through Italy reading books set in or written by Italian authors.  So many places to choose from -  Venice, Verona, Rome.  Plus so much history to explore both fictional and non fictional wise.  All roads seem to start with Rome so we'll start there.  I found some interesting links including Italian Legacy which discusses Italian literature of ancient Rome, the middle ages, troubadours, scholars and poets, the beginnings of authentic Italian literature, the renaissance and more.  Definitely well worth checking out.

According to Book Lust to Go, the best place to start is with the history of Rome.  Nancy recommends for a historical fiction tour of Rome; Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series or Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Roma Series.

I've currently have in my backpack The Road to Rome by Ben Kane which is the 3rd book in his Forgotten Legion Trilogy based in 48BC.    I read The Forgotten Legion a couple years back which totally blew me away, then The Silver Eagle when it came out.  They aren't the easiest books to read.  

Here's what I said back in 2010 when I first read Forgotten Legion:  

"The Forgotten Legion" is an excellent book, very well written, grabs your attention from the very beginning and doesn't let it go.  I'm usually don't read historical fiction because I find them dull, flat, and boring most of the time.     Ben Kane's epic novel surrounding  the lives of Romulus, Fabiola, Tarquinius and Brennus in ancient Rome changed my mind.    Do you think I like it just a little. :)  I normally don't get effusive over a book, but I really, really enjoyed this one.   Yes, what happens to the characters and following it from their perspective could make you cringe at times.  It was a brutal era.  Plus the  lives of the slaves were just as full of political strife and politics and backstabbing as the upper class.

I think what made the story so enjoyable is I had just finished taking a course in Art from the Ancients up the 14th century.  Learning all about the art and architecture of the Roman era, then reading as the characters and their activities took place in the roman forum to pompey to the silk highway to the coliseum where the gladiator fights were held was just fascinating to me.   Made reading the story a much richer experience. 

Also in my backpack are:  Open Mind, Faithful Heart by Pope Francis which are reflections he wrote over the years before becoming the pope.   Plus Emberto Uco's The Name of the Rose, and art history mysteries - Daniel Silva's Fallen Angel and Iain Pears Giotti's Hand.

Have you started reading Dante's Inferno yet?  Yeah, me neither.  There are 34 cantos, so as of today I plan on reading two a day which should have me finishing it by the end of February.

Join me in reading all things Italian this month.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 6

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back to multitasking books:

Inferno readalong - Inferno

13th Century  - Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman

Paranormal read - Hands of Flame by C.E. Murphy (#3 in Negotiator series)

Writing Craft - The Right by Write by Julia Cameron

While watching the Olympics last night, I would read during commercial breaks. I finished One Hundred Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergen.

Good & bad, making me have a hard time coming up with a rating. I have really mixed feelings about this one.

Not sure if this is considered surreal, post-modern, or just a choppy book. I suspect it’s the latter. The writing issues with this novel bugged me & pulled me out of the story numerous times; there were brief snatches of snappy wording, glimpses of some thought-provoking settings, appearances by some intriguing characters. But, they were all too brief & none of it is ever really developed -- argh. I can see so, so much more for this story, but the author just didn’t pull it there. Plus, the author is a bit lazy (imo) in that the main characters (who are already dead) can just seemingly pop up at any time, in any scene from their lives. There’s no real explanation of how or why this happens (which is ok), it’s just a convenient way to stop one vignette & start another one. And it happens constantly (which is not ok). One of the main characters complained about too much popping about like that & I agree. Stop already.

Why did I keep reading? I’m not completely sure. Part of it was that it’s my first Nook book & I’m still trying to see how much I like reading e-books. So, I persevered. There were some interesting tidbits (many related to Japanese history over the past century); humorous, snide comments; some beautiful & horrifying settings (some of which will definitely give you pause). The ending, while still not well-written, had a nice (if sentimental) touch.

At the end of the book, there is a page from the publisher, Perfect Edge Books. I find their statement fascinating:

We live in uncertainty. New ways of committing crimes are discovered every day. Hackers and hit men are idolized. Writers have responded to this either by ignoring the harsher realities or by glorifying mindless violence for the sake of it. Atrocities (from the Holocaust to 9/11) are exploited in cheaply sentimental films and novels.

Perfect Edge Books proposes to find a balanced position. We publish fiction that doesn’t revel in nihilism, doesn’t go for gore at the cost of substance – yet we want to confront the world with its beauty as well as its ugliness. That means we want books about difficult topics, books with something to say.

We’re open to dark comedies, “transgressive†novels, potboilers and tales of revenge. All we ask is that you don’t try to shock for the sake of shocking – there is too much of that around. We are looking for intelligent young authors able to use the written word for changing how we read and write in dark times.

So, did the book meet the publisher’s criteria? Yes, I think so. Was it well-written? No. Does it have potential? Yes & that was agonizingly frustrating because, had this book been well-done, it could have been so much more. The glimpses of a greater work were there, but the greater work never put in an appearance. Did it make me think? A couple of times. I don’t want to give it a rating as low as 2 stars, yet it’s almost too jumpy & poorly-written to deserve 3 stars. Ultimately, I’ll give it 3 (grudging) stars.

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

My PaperbackSwap Page

My rating system:

5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Good; 2 = Meh; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2014 Books Read:

01. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (5 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

02. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (3 stars).

03. Aiding and Abetting by Muriel Spark (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

04. Sunjata by Bamba Suso & Banna Kanute (5 stars). Around the World – Africa (Gambia & Mali).

05. The Lunatic by Anthony C. Winkler (4 stars). Around the World – Caribbean (Jamaica).

06. The Joke by Milan Kundera (4 stars). Around the World – Europe (Czech Republic).

07. One Hundred Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergen (3 grudging stars). Around the World – Asia (Japan).

Currently reading:

Fall of Giants, Ken Follett

The Truth About Love and Lightning, Susan McBride

and Dante's Inferno

At least I'm attempting Inferno; I think I've read about 4 cantos, with the help of Sparknotes. ;)

2014 books read: 15

Last night I finished  

These Broken Stars

by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner.  My library has the book classified as Young Adult Science Fiction.  While I sometimes read YA books, it’s far more rare for me to read Science Fiction.  That said, I enjoyed the book very much.  While one part of the book was predictable (the relationship that developed between the main characters), there were plenty of surprises overall.  It interests me to learn that this is the first book in a trilogy as the story felt very complete.  I have to admit to being curious as to what story the next books will tell.

From Amazon:

"It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they're worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help."

"Absolutely brilliant. This is the sci fi I've been waiting for! Action, romance, twists and turns--this book has it all!" -- Beth Revis, New York Times bestselling author of Across the Universe

Regards,

Kareni

http://www.crimefictionlover.com/2013/07/a-guide-to-karin-fossums-inspector-sejer/

I have found a great new mystery series by Karin Fossum, the Inspector Sejer mysteries. They are Norwegian with one more to be translated into English. I was able to find the first one titled Eva's Eye. At first it seemed a bit choppy which might have been in the translation but was more likely due to my reading with an accent or stylistic because of the stress the main character was under. After a quarter of the way through it had smoothed out so.....

Inspector Sejer is a true gentleman police detective. What a lovely person, no other way to describe him. The author also worked some highly interesting ideas into the fabric of the book. Things like why create art that no one wants to buy or understands as your primary job? Also why it was acceptable to be a pr*stitute as a choice. It was a good mystery with lots to think about.

Time indeed does alter perspective. 

It has been decades since I have opened Jane Eyre, a novel that I did not dislike but one that I do not remember with fondness.  Early on in the book we see Jane punished for improper behavior. John Reed, Jane's cousin, has struck Jane violently for which the orphan is sequestered to a cold dark room.  Apparently those given "Christian charity" are suppose to be grateful for all gifts received including violent blows.  Jane experiences a fright in her isolation and cries out, drawing attention to others in the household including her cruel aunt who notes:

I abhor artifice, particularly in children; it is my duty to show you that tricks will not answer; you will now stay here an hour longer, and it is only on condition of perfect submission and stillness that I shall liberate you then.

My fourteen year old self would have been surprised that there are parenting books out there that advocate "child training" via extreme means.  I suspect my younger self viewed this as caricature.

What I am finding to be most interesting beyond the storyline are the mentions of attire and fabrics.  The history of textiles and what has been called women's work is of great fascination to me, so I find myself glancing at the endnotes of my new Penguin edition for words like "frieze".  The comment on work-bags in the endnotes gave me pause: 

Females were expected to be sewing when not otherwise occupied. The bag would contain the utensils for their sewing 'work'.

Why 'work' and not work??  :toetap05:

A friend and I have discussed attempting to put reticules back into fashion.  She and I often carry one of our projects wherever we go ( :seeya: Yes, I am the woman over there who is knitting a sock.)  From all of the Jane Austen dramatizations we have visions of reticules:

Besides my knitting, I carry a book and other things on which I might be working.  Note: working and not 'working'.

Back to Jane Eyre:  An interesting theme religious theme is being woven into the storyline.  Did my fourteen year old self recognize Bronte's reaction to an extreme form of evangelical Protestantism of the time?  Of course not.  I attended an all girls Catholic high school and did not know what an evangelical was. Fascinating stuff. 

After plunging into the novel, I went back to skim through parts of the introduction. My Shakespeare professor in undergrad admonished us to skip introductions in order not to bias our viewpoint going into a work. Something about Jane Eyre's personal reckoning over religious belief required clarification--something I don't quite have yet but patience!  Maybe I will have greater insight after finishing the book.  But in the introduction I found something that seems to fit into last week's discussion on feminist novels.  Jane Eyre was first published in 1847.  Eight years later (1855), Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine saw Jane Eyre as dangerous and linked the novel to revolutionaries on the Continent. 

...a mere vulgar boiling-over of the political cauldron, which tosses your French monarch into chaos, and makes a new one in his stead.  Here is your true revolution.  France is but one of the Western Powers.  woman is the half of the world.  (Margaret Oliphant, Modern Novelists--Great and Small, Blckwood's Edinburgh Magazine 77, May 1855)

Surely I never understood such rabble rousing when I first read this book!

Is this an argument for not reading classics when being too young to understand?  Of course not.  Arguments can be made for cultural literacy in general, I suppose, but I suspect that some fourteen year olds who read Jane Eyre suddenly recognize that the choices for a young female orphan one hundred and sixty years ago were very limited indeed, that attending school was a privilege as much as it was painful torture to be underfed for the sake of economy and character development.  Good literature should reach readers on many levels. If my fourteen year old self was not reached, it is not Bronte's problem:  it is mine.  My loss, really.

I finished Cloud Atlas, which I thought was neat. I enjoyed reading through time in both style and content. I liked the detailed connections between the stories. I thought that many times Mitchell spelled things out too plainly. 

I also read Rousseau's Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, which nicely complemented Cloud Atlas.

Last night I read the first 10 cantos of Inferno.

Finished ::

The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley--A light, enjoyable read though with a clunky plot twist at the end which fell like a thud.
The Woman in White (audiobook, thank you, Jane) by Wilkie Collins--I very much enjoyed listening to this as I knitted away each afternoon. The dark winter afternoons were a perfect backdrop.

In Process ::

Aimless Love by Billy Collins (poetry)--wonderful
The Conference of the Birds (poetry) by Fariddudin Attar--wonderful
Physicians of the Heart (spiritual-psychological guide drawn from the teachings of classical Sufism) by various Sufis --wonderful

Just Started ::

Mariana by Susanna Kearsley--looks to be another light read but too early to tell whether I'm going to have the patience for it.

Abandoned by the Roadside ::

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

On the Visible Horizon ::

August is a Wicked Month by Edna O'Brien--looks promising as a thought provoking and sympathetic read
The Moonspinners by Mary Stewart--have not read any of her work. I believe she is best known for her Arthurian stories
Granted by Mary Szybist--poetry
Bloodsilk by Paulann Petersen (if I can locate a copy)--poetry

I finished Cloud Atlas, which I thought was neat. I enjoyed reading through time in both style and content. I liked the detailed connections between the stories. I thought that many times Mitchell spelled things out too plainly. 

I also read Rousseau's Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, which nicely complemented Cloud Atlas.

Last night I read the first 10 cantos of Inferno.

You are my hero!  Rousseau has been on my to-be-read list since I can remember and The Discourse lives on my shelf.  Want to give me a nudge?

Here's to a successful week of reading! I finished Socratic Circles by Matt Copeland, and thought it provided a great intro on the subject. I liked the way he highlighted the difference between dialogue and debate. I love his approach because it teaches students to improve their discussion skills rather than focusing on the content: Is the whole group contributing? Are my comments on topic? Are my criticisms constructive? Am I making connections with what I am reading to other subjects/life in general? Am I left with more questions than I started with (a good thing!)?

I also finished 1001 Arabian Nights by Geraldine McCaughrean. This was a read aloud and my girls and I really enjoyed it.

Next, I need to finish up Jamie Smith's Desiring the Kingdom, which I have started and stopped a couple times in the last few months. I feel like I've got the point, and now I'm just reading to be done with it. I am also going to restart Middlemarch, and reread the first Flavia book before I attempt to continue on with the series. I'm hoping that dd will be able to read these soon!

And Eliana, I wanted to respond to this from the week 6 discussion:

...but why does female perspective=women's lit? ...when male perspective doesn't = men's lit? I believe the best literature has insights into the human condition that can be discovered regardless of the genders of either the reader or the protagonist(s).

First, I'm glad to hear that your dd and her little one are safe. What a scary week for all of you. I will be praying for their continued recovery and good health!

As for your quote above, I totally agree with you. I don't at all think that a story needs to include male perspective to be deemed good literature. I can even think of great books that are told from a child's point of view that are great lit. I think though, that in Austen's case, it feels more like women's lit because so much of the focus is on gossip between women, who will end up with who, etc. I guess I could compare it to a book with male characters that is centered around "shop talk" - even if universal themes are touched on, the tone of the book would make it feel like "men's lit."

ETA: I need to add that I do believe Austen's novels are great literature. They include wonderful characterization and tackle many important societal questions! But I can also see why they are generally treasured more by female rather than male readers.

This year's books:

6. Socratic Circles by Matt Copeland

5. 1001 Arabian Nights by Geraldine McCaughrean

4. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

3. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

2. Smart but Scattered - Dawson and Guare

1. Anna Karenina - Tolstoy

Finished: The Happy Family by Richard and Linda Eyre (interesting book about the worlds assault on "traditional" family)

Five in a Row Vol 2 by Jane Claire Lambert

Witches under Way by Debora Geary (fluffy series that I am so in LOVE with!!!)

Working on:

Fiction: Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Kindle: Redemption by Karen Kingsbury and Gary Smalley

Non-fiction: The Act of Teaching Donald Cruickshank, Deborah Jenkins, Kim Metcalf

Phone: Lies, Da** Lies, and Science by Sherry Seethaler

Computer: Teaching Your Children Responsibility by Richard and Linda Eyre

Well Education Mind: Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

Angel Girl: The Aesop for Children by Aesop

Sweet Boy: Hans Christian Anderson Fairy Tales Book

Autobook: Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith

Total Read for 2014: 21

Robin, your first post reminds me that another great Italian (ancient Roman) book is I, Claudius: From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius Born 10 B.C. Murdered and Deified A.D. 54 by Robert Graves. I love the book. I have its sequel, Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina, sitting on my shelves (a long-dusty book) that I do need to get around to reading....

I am so glad I am not the one that loves Snape. I just finished the seven Harry's chapter. I hesitate about watching the movies, though. Do you recommend them? I don't want the movies to spoil the feelings that the books generate in general. Too much is lost in the making. Les Miserables the movie is never the same as the book. Not that I expect the movie to be equal to the book. It is just that oftener than not, movies make me forget why I like the books in the first place.

Hang in there!  The movies are NOT as good.  Everyone has preferences.  I prefer the 3rd and 7th (pt 1) movies to the others for accuracy and cinematography.  I would...wait until you finish.  I always find movies disappointing compared to the books, except for those two I listed and the LoTR movies. :)

http://www.crimefictionlover.com/2013/07/a-guide-to-karin-fossums-inspector-sejer/

I have found a great new mystery series by Karin Fossum, the Inspector Sejer mysteries. They are Norwegian with one more to be translated into English. I was able to find the first one titled Eva's Eye. At first it seemed a bit choppy which might have been in the translation but was more likely due to my reading with an accent or stylistic because of the stress the main character was under. After a quarter of the way through it had smoothed out so.....

Inspector Sejer is a true gentleman police detective. What a lovely person, no other way to describe him. The author also worked some highly interesting ideas into the fabric of the book. Things like why create art that no one wants to buy or understands as your primary job? Also why it was acceptable to be a pr*stitute as a choice. It was a good mystery with lots to think about.

Ohhhh I'll have to add this to my list.  Thanks!

I finished Dead Beat and started the next in the series.  It was good. I must say, I love Butters.   :)

1. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

2. Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

3. Death. Masks by Jim Butcher

4. Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

5. French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon

6. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman 

7. Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Witches under Way by Debora Geary (fluffy series that I am so in LOVE with!!!)

This is not one I've heard of.  I will have to look it up, too.  I am ALL about the fluff this year!

I finished two more books this past week:  #7 - The War of the Worlds by Wells (reviewed here) and #8 - Sandstorm by Rollins (reviewed here).  I really enjoyed both books and picked up the next Sigma series yesterday despite the fact that my tbr stack is far too high so it may take a couple of weeks to get to it.  A thank you to Robin and others who have been recommending the Sigma series.  I even mentioned them to my mom on the phone the other day as something my dad might enjoy reading.

To be read

Oedipus the King by Sophocles (this one I have to read to keep up with DD)

I'd like to start One Corpse Too Many by Peters, but I think I'll focus on finishing Quiet so I don't have so many books going at once and read Urchin of the Riding Stars by McAllister when I need a break in an effort to find a new series that DS might enjoy reading

In progress

Bible - currently nearing the end of Leviticus :hurray: and on track for the year

The History of the Ancient World by Bauer - reached my goal of chapter 20, now shooting for chapter  25 for this week

Quiet by Cain - finished the intro and part 1 and am not overly impressed at this point, hoping it will get better (It would also help if DS would quit borrowing the Kindle to read Harry Potter 7, but at least he's choosing to read.)

Finished

8.  Sandstorm by Rollins (BaW rec)

7.  The War of the Worlds by Wells (classic lit)

6.  A Morbid Taste for Bones by Peters (12th century challenge)

5.  Antigone by Sophocles (ancient lit)

4.  Secrets of an Organized Mom by Reich (non-fiction)

3.  Phantastes by MacDonald

2.  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Bradley (BaW rec)

1.  Odyssey by Homer (ancient lit)

Robin, your first post reminds me that another great Italian (ancient Roman) book is I, Claudius: From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius Born 10 B.C. Murdered and Deified A.D. 54 by Robert Graves. I love the book. I have its sequel, Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina, sitting on my shelves (a long-dusty book) that I do need to get around to reading....

18765.jpg52251.jpg

I have I, Claudius sitting on my shelf. Someday I'll get to it..... ;)

You girls may have discussed this already at some point, but I noticed some inconsistencies with my rating system.  On Goodreads, I went to rate a few things I had read and saw that I seem to set the bar much higher for classics than fluff.  So I will rate an older classic that I enjoyed a 4 for whatever reason but a newer fluff novel a 5 because it was entertaining and didn't have glaring issues or anything I could complain about.  Does anyone else do this? I'm not sure if I should re-rate my books, but it was never terribly scientific to begin with. 

but I think I'll focus on finishing Quiet so I don't have so many books going at once and read Urchin of the Riding Stars by McAllister when I need a break in an effort to find a new series that DS might enjoy reading

The Mistmantle Chronicles, of which Urchin of the Riding Stars is the first book, is one of my dc's favorite series rated up there with LOTR and has been read and reread.

Finished ::

The Woman in White (audiobook, thank you, Jane) by Wilke Collins--I very much enjoyed listening to this as I knitted away each afternoon. The dark winter afternoons were a perfect backdrop.

You are welcome.  The BBC did a nice job, didn't they?

You girls may have discussed this already at some point, but I noticed some inconsistencies with my rating system.  On Goodreads, I went to rate a few things I had read and saw that I seem to set the bar much higher for classics than fluff.  So I will rate an older classic that I enjoyed a 4 for whatever reason but a newer fluff novel a 5 because it was entertaining and didn't have glaring issues or anything I could complain about.  Does anyone else do this? I'm not sure if I should re-rate my books, but it was never terribly scientific to begin with. 

I implemented a rating system last year.  When examining my list at year's end, I simply could not reconcile the numbers.  I ended up scratching it.  Sorry not to be more helpful!

You girls may have discussed this already at some point, but I noticed some inconsistencies with my rating system. On Goodreads, I went to rate a few things I had read and saw that I seem to set the bar much higher for classics than fluff. So I will rate an older classic that I enjoyed a 4 for whatever reason but a newer fluff novel a 5 because it was entertaining and didn't have glaring issues or anything I could complain about. Does anyone else do this? I'm not sure if I should re-rate my books, but it was never terribly scientific to begin with.

I sort of do this too. I have different criteria depending on the genre, I think. If I stay up until 3am reading a YA novel because the plot was so compelling, and I just had.to.know.how.it.ended, it might get a 5. A classic that was important and well-written but didn't really resonate with me might get a 4. I tend to rate books with a 5 if I felt a strong connection to a character or theme, if the book spoke to me in some way, and not necessarily based on its literary quality or other objective measures. So, my ratings end up being pretty personal.

Robin -- I ended up requesting Roman Blood by Steven Saylor. Looked too good to miss but might live in a stack for awhile! Glad you are enjoying the CE Murphy series. I really loved all of the truly exotic paranormals in the negotiator series -- dragons, gargoyles, genies.......fun stuff! :)

Now for the Harry Potter debate. I have both read and watched them all. Imo the first 5 are far better in book form, I have read them several times. I have only read 6 and 7 once and would have to really have a reason to read either again -- I was depressed for a week after 6. The last one was even harder on me. Oddly enough I did enjoy the movie versions. The first 5 movies drive me a bit nuts because so much that I love in the story is missing. Beautiful filming with great acting but missing chunks that I love.

I sort of do this too. I have different criteria depending on the genre, I think. If I stay up until 3am reading a YA novel because the plot was so compelling, and I just had.to.know.how.it.ended, it might get a 5. A classic that was important and well-written but didn't really resonate with me might get a 4. I tend to rate books with a 5 if I felt a strong connection to a character or theme, if the book spoke to me in some way, and not necessarily based on its literary quality or other objective measures. So, my ratings end up being pretty personal.

This is similar to me. I think I rate a book w/in my own mental categories (such as fluff, YA, classic, international, ...). Flavia (fluff books for me) rate high because I don't like a lot of fluff books yet totally enjoy these. HP1 got a similar rating from me because I thought it was a pretty great YA book. Does either compare to a well-written, thought-provoking, challenging classic or international novel? No. But, since I rate each book according to a category in my head, the books are only competing against others in the same category, not vs. every book I read.

Kind of like the Olympics in a way... figure skaters are rated against other figure skaters, not against downhill skiers.

I finished:

Looking for the King: an Inkling novel (Downing)

What did you think of this?  I have had it out from the library a time or two, but something keeps happening and I don't end up getting very far.  I suppose that means I just didn't like it and let myself get distracted, but... I wanted to like it.  I'm not sure why though.

I read a fair bit this week but did not finish anything.

Started And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie as a read-aloud during a power outage.  About halfway done there.

I'm still going on with a couple of medieval history books and an economics book for homeschooling.

My personal reading:

The Count of Monte Cristo:  I read a few chapters a week.  It's engaging but for some reason I don't want to read more than a few chapters at a time.

Have His Carcase:  A bit slow but I haven't dropped it yet! 

A Circle of Quiet:  I had a slow start with this one but I'm starting to love it now.

I was thinking about finding something Italian to read this month but after perusing numerous Spanish cookbooks in order to make a tapas dinner for my husband's birthday, I'm in the mood for something from Spain!  I picked up Zafon's Angel's Game at the library today but I'm not going to start it till after I finish something else.  My kids and I just went through The Inferno a few months ago so I'm not inclined to join in there.

I had forgotten about my 5/5/5 challenge... will have to go back to last week's post to look up what I said about that!  Obviously I've made no progress!  :blushing:   Still,not a bad reading week overall, even if I didn't finish anything.  I read at least a book's worth of pages!  ;)

The Count of Monte Cristo:  I read a few chapters a week.  It's engaging but for some reason I don't want to read more than a few chapters at a time.

I was thinking about finding something Italian to read this month but after perusing numerous Spanish cookbooks in order to make a tapas dinner for my husband's birthday, I'm in the mood for something from Spain!  I picked up Zafon's Angel's Game at the library today but I'm not going to start it till after I finish something else. 

Love The Count of Monte Cristo. If you like Ruiz-Zafon, try The Prisoner of Heaven after you finish The Count of Monte Cristo. Many similar themes & made me wish I had read the two closer together (instead of years apart) because I think comparing/contrasting them would have been fun.

Let us know if you come across any great tapas recipes! :drool:

Jane -- dd and I love the 2011 film version of Jane Eyre. We think it stays quite close to the book and some of the moor scenes were filmed in a favourite walking area of ours.

I have not seen the film version but I did see the BBC dramatization that aired on Masterpiece at some point in the last decade.  Thanks for the heads up.

Heaths and moors are similar, aren't they?  I had the chance to take a stroll through the heath after enjoying Sunday dinner with the family of my son's girlfriend last August when we traveled to Britain.  I view moors as more isolated.  What exactly is the difference or are they not as similar as I think?

Love The Count of Monte Cristo. If you like Ruiz-Zafon, try The Prisoner of Heaven after you finish The Count of Monte Cristo. Many similar themes & made me wish I had read the two closer together (instead of years apart) because I think comparing/contrasting them would have been fun.

Let us know if you come across any great tapas recipes! :drool:

Thanks!  I will keep that in mind. I did like Shadow of the Wind but it has been a while.

Most of my recipes came from this book:  Tapas: A Taste of Spain In America and this Fine Cooking magazine article.  Shrimp with garlic, sherry, and smoked paprika... manchego and iberico cheeses...aahhhh...a few other little dishes, a nice bottle of Rioja.  Flan for dessert.   Lovely, long, leisurely meal.  We haven't managed that in quite a while.    

Heaths and moors are similar, aren't they?  I had the chance to take a stroll through the heath after enjoying Sunday dinner with the family of my son's girlfriend last August when we traveled to Britain.  I view moors as more isolated.  What exactly is the difference or are they not as similar as I think?

I just looked up the definitions of heaths and moors in order to confirm my observations and they are the same except a moor is a heath on rolling land. Strolls on moors are frequently hard work. ;) Here is a link so you can see what I mean to Longshaw Estate which hooks on to the Peak District National Park. Several outdoor scenes for the movie take place where the two intersect. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/longshaw/things-to-see-and-do/

Oh, that does look interesting. Put it on my wishlist. Thanks!

I finished two more books this past week:  #7 - The War of the Worlds by Wells (reviewed here) and #8 - Sandstorm by Rollins (reviewed here).  I really enjoyed both books and picked up the next Sigma series yesterday despite the fact that my tbr stack is far too high so it may take a couple of weeks to get to it.  A thank you to Robin and others who have been recommending the Sigma series.  I even mentioned them to my mom on the phone the other day as something my dad might enjoy reading.

I got my brother in law hooked on Rollins too! 

Robin -- I ended up requesting Roman Blood by Steven Saylor. Looked too good to miss but might live in a stack for awhile! Glad you are enjoying the CE Murphy series. I really loved all of the truly exotic paranormals in the negotiator series -- dragons, gargoyles, genies.......fun stuff! :)

Awesome!  Yep, Murphy's series is definitely different and love her writing.

This is similar to me. I think I rate a book w/in my own mental categories (such as fluff, YA, classic, international, ...). Flavia (fluff books for me) rate high because I don't like a lot of fluff books yet totally enjoy these. HP1 got a similar rating from me because I thought it was a pretty great YA book. Does either compare to a well-written, thought-provoking, challenging classic or international novel? No. But, since I rate each book according to a category in my head, the books are only competing against others in the same category, not vs. every book I read.

Kind of like the Olympics in a way... figure skaters are rated against other figure skaters, not against downhill skiers.

What a great idea! 

It has been decades since I have opened Jane Eyre, a novel that I did not dislike but one that I do not remember with fondness.  Early on in the book we see Jane punished for improper behavior. John Reed, Jane's cousin, has struck Jane violently for which the orphan is sequestered to a cold dark room.  Apparently those given "Christian charity" are suppose to be grateful for all gifts received including violent blows.  Jane experiences a fright in her isolation and cries out, drawing attention to others in the household including her cruel aunt who notes:

My fourteen year old self would have been surprised that there are parenting books out there that advocate "child training" via extreme means.  I suspect my younger self viewed this as caricature.

Back to Jane Eyre:  An interesting theme religious theme is being woven into the storyline.  Did my fourteen year old self recognize Bronte's reaction to an extreme form of evangelical Protestantism of the time?  Of course not.  I attended an all girls Catholic high school and did not know what an evangelical was. Fascinating stuff. 

After plunging into the novel, I went back to skim through parts of the introduction. My Shakespeare professor in undergrad admonished us to skip introductions in order not to bias our viewpoint going into a work. Something about Jane Eyre's personal reckoning over religious belief required clarification--something I don't quite have yet but patience!  Maybe I will have greater insight after finishing the book.  But in the introduction I found something that seems to fit into last week's discussion on feminist novels.  Jane Eyre was first published in 1847.  Eight years later (1855), Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine saw Jane Eyre as dangerous and linked the novel to revolutionaries on the Continent. 

Is this an argument for not reading classics when being too young to understand?  Of course not.  Arguments can be made for cultural literacy in general, I suppose, but I suspect that some fourteen year olds who read Jane Eyre suddenly recognize that the choices for a young female orphan one hundred and sixty years ago were very limited indeed, that attending school was a privilege as much as it was painful torture to be underfed for the sake of economy and character development.  Good literature should reach readers on many levels. If my fourteen year old self was not reached, it is not Bronte's problem:  it is mine.  My loss, really.

Thank you for this, Jane.  Your words have caused me to think.  I did not like Jane Eyre when I read it  but I first read it  when I was  41.  I was far from the teen years so I cannot blame it on that  but I was young as far as reading was concerned.  Up until that time I had been reading only pure fluff, Jane Eyre was my first taste of a classic.  it was a whole different world than what I was used to.  Since then, my literary tastes have changed drastically so maybe I need to retry Jane.  Maybe I will like it now that I am bigger. :laugh:

I have Cloud Atlas on my TBR pile.  I keep hearing good things about it so I might have to put it to the top of the pile.

Abandoned by the Roadside ::

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

I am sorry that you did not like Harold.   This was one of my top reads for last year.   Someone said last week that the reason why some books stay with us is that it reflects things that are going on in our lives at that time.  I think this is why Harold  struck so deep within me.  At the time  that I read his story my dh and I had been separated for 2 months.  I felt at the time that I was on a pilgrimage as well,  trying to figure things out.  Harold gave me hope, that maybe things would work out for me  as they did  for Harold and his wife. 

I am still reading   Howards End is on the Landing  by Susan Hill.   This is a book about books and reading.  I have read better books that fall into this genre but there were bits and pieces  that I enjoyed.  It is interesting to read of her take on some of the books that she has read and their authors.

Next up is  One Summer: America  1927 by Bill Bryson

Egads, Jane, so much food for thought, here...

On reading the classics before we're mature enough to "get them" vs. returning to them:

<snip>

An interesting theme religious theme is being woven into the storyline.  Did my fourteen year old self recognize Bronte's reaction to an extreme form of evangelical Protestantism of the time?  Of course not.  I attended an all girls Catholic high school and did not know what an evangelical was. Fascinating stuff. 

<snip>

This is why I so believe in re-reading, despite the existential anxiety I have about "so many books, so little time"... it helps me to see and understand how much, and in what directions, I've changed... I tend myself to go back over (and in some cases over and over and over) to the books that did speak to me in prior lives (some of them are still powerful albeit in different ways; others less so).  I do less of your Jane Eyre experience (going back to a book that didn't do much for me the first time around).  I'm curious: what moved you to pick it up again?  and inspired, as well.  Maybe I should try Moby Dick again...

On textiles "work": 

What I am finding to be most interesting beyond the storyline are the mentions of attire and fabrics.  The history of textiles and what has been called women's work is of great fascination to me, so I find myself glancing at the endnotes of my new Penguin edition for words like "frieze".  The comment on work-bags in the endnotes gave me pause: 

Why 'work' and not work??   :toetap05:

A friend and I have discussed attempting to put reticules back into fashion.  She and I often carry one of our projects wherever we go (  :seeya: Yes, I am the woman over there who is knitting a sock.)  From all of the Jane Austen dramatizations we have visions of reticules:

ladysreticule.png

Besides my knitting, I carry a book and other things on which I might be working.  Note: working and not 'working'.

Well now I also find this puzzling, and also irritating, and as well as -- dare I? -- revealing of (quite possibly unconscious) gender bias.  One cannot help but wonder whether hours spent by the fireside going over accounts, or mending fishing nets, or cleaning guns, or writing sermons... or any productive enterprise done by men, would have gotten the quotation marks.  Who knows.  

I used to haunt flea markets and small town New England auctions, and I was forever amazed and dismayed, at these meticulously made, gorgeously embroidered textiles that some woman had obviously spent hundreds of hours making, that would go for $5, 10...  as opposed to knocked-together pine benches that went for many times more...

and on reading introductions, particularly those to Dusty Books:

My Shakespeare professor in undergrad admonished us to skip introductions in order not to bias our viewpoint going into a work. 

The older I get the more I agree with this... the more important I think it is for me as a reader to come to my own understanding before I let another reader, however learned, color what I pay attention to.  Except:

Something about Jane Eyre's personal reckoning over religious belief required clarification--something I don't quite have yet but patience!  Maybe I will have greater insight after finishing the book.  But in the introduction I found something that seems to fit into last week's discussion on feminist novels.  Jane Eyre was first published in 1847.  Eight years later (1855), Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine saw Jane Eyre as dangerous and linked the novel to revolutionaries on the Continent. 

Dang it, those introduction-writers so often know some salient background that actually is important to the context of the book!!   :laugh:

Thanks!

I've found the same thing. I have a hard time rating something 5 stars when books like The Book Thief and To Kill a Mockingbird are 5's for me. Also, sometimes reading a book will really resonate with me at the time warranting 5 stars from me but if I had read it at another time in my life it would not have received as high of a rating.

I finished 3 books this week:

Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan-I'm a Gaffigan fan and found his essays on parenting entertaining. I especially liked the one where he examines children's literature. :lol:

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer-This is his first person account on the Everest disaster of 1996. Had a hard time putting it down and it led me to watch some stuff on Everest on Netflix.

Astray by Emma Donoghue-I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Some of them were sad; some strange; and some a bit amusing. Loved her writing style in this book.

Currently reading:

In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner-This was a recommendation from this thread after I'd read another book about the Cambodian Killing Fields earlier in the year. So far, it's a fantastic book.

I've finished 11 books so far for 2014. :-)

Just finished

43. Do or Die by Suzanne Brockmann

Holy action, Batman! This is the first in a new series, loosely spun-off from the Troubleshooters series (a few minor characters appear in this book). I enjoyed it very much.

To take a page from Kareni's book ;)

"Navy SEAL Ian Dunn went rogue in a big way when he turned his talents to a lawless life of jewel heists and con jobs. Or so the world has been led to believe. In reality, the former Special Ops warrior is still fighting for good, leading a small band of freelance covert operatives who take care of high-stakes business in highly unofficial ways. That makes Ian the hands-down choice when the U.S. government must breach a heavily guarded embassy and rescue a pair of children kidnapped by their own father, a sinister foreign national willing to turn his own kids into casualties. Shockingly, Ian passes on the mission... for reasons he will not–or cannot–reveal.

But saying no is not an option. Especially not to Phoebe Kruger, Ian’s bespectacled, beautiful, and unexpectedly brash new attorney. Determined to see the abducted children set free, she not only gets Ian on board but insists on riding shotgun on his Mission: Impossible-style operation, whether he likes it or not.

Though Phoebe has a valuable knack for getting out of tight spots, there’s no denying the intensely intimate feelings growing between Ian and Phoebe as the team gears up for combat. But these are feelings they both must fight to control as they face an array of cold-blooded adversaries, including a vindictive mob boss who’s got Ian at the top of his hit list and a wealthy psychopath who loves murder as much as money. As they dodge death squads and play lethal games of deception, Ian and Phoebe will do whatever it takes to save the innocent and vanquish the guilty.

Or die trying."

I just realized, I spent so much time reading and mulling over the BAW thread over the last week that I hardly had any time at all for, y'know, books...  :o)

The only things I actually finished were:

Adin Steinsalz' Thirteen Petalled Rose, a not-so-dusty but nonetheless very dense tome aimed at uncovering some of the mysteries of Kabbalah... it was for my interfaith book group; otherwise I would never have tackled it... not for amateurs like me, I'm afraid...

Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt.  I enjoyed this well enough, but for me it did not live up to all its considerable hype.  A nicely plotted story, but too little on Theo's interior journey (to the point where I didn't think the ending hung together emotionally) and virtually nothing on what made the Hobie character tick, though he played such a critical redemptive role for both Theo and Pippa.  One part I really, really did appreciate was the bit in the last chapter describing in detail the pull of the painting itself -- the detailed why of that obsessive, transformative pull -- which helped clarify for me how to work through the pulls that certain works of art (though not, LOL, this particular book!) sometimes have on me... and, relatedly..

Incarnadine: Poems, by Mary Szybist, recommended here by Shukriyya a few weeks ago.  A wonder, these.... just astonishing.  I am still sorting through my reactions to the whole collection -- because the poems (some of which are available on line here) are like Psalms, in that they can be read singly, or as a whole; and both ways are valid and worthwhile, but the readings are different, depending on their stand-alone or gestalt context...

I'm still listening to Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, which is a not-deep but quite enjoyable time-traveling romp; and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime   with my daughter.  I just started Man Seeks God: My Flirtations with the Divine by Eric Weiner of happiness fame... like the happiness book, it thus far seems mostly light-hearted and self-dprecating, but with occasional glimmers of real insight.  When I finish that I plan to take a deep breath and then dive into a re-read of Martin Buber's I and Thou.... but we'll see.

Due to an inability to settle down to just one book last week, I started a bunch of stuff, but haven't finished anything.

I have been listening to The Rowan, by Anne McCaffrey, a reread of a favorite when I was a teen and part of my 5/5/5 challenge for this year.

We are visiting my dh this week, so on the way to him, I started listening to Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke.  This is a re-listen, and I am enjoying it just as much this time as last time, if not more.  I just love this story.

I'm still plugging away at The Devotion of Suspect X.  I'm not quite half way through, but I'm enjoying it.  I wish I could just sit and finish it, as the suspense of how it is going to resolve is starting to get to me.  LOL  Once I finish it, I will wave good-bye to Japan for now, and move on to Italy.  Italy is the only European country I have been to, and I just loved it while there.  I visited my dh at one of his ship's port visits.  We stayed in a little village, Monfalcone, and was able to visit Trieste and to take the train to Venice.  I want to go back so very much.

My first book I was able to find for Italy is The Shape of Water, by Andrea Camilleri.  It is a mystery set in Sicily, and I'm really looking forward to it.  I also have The Inferno on my Kindle, so I'm hoping to join in on the read-a-long.  I haven't started, so I don't know if I will get it all in this month.  We'll see!

I am sorry that you did not like Harold.   This was one of my top reads for last year.   Someone said last week that the reason why some books stay with us is that it reflects things that are going on in our lives at that time.  I think this is why Harold  struck so deep within me.  At the time  that I read his story my dh and I had been separated for 2 months.  I felt at the time that I was on a pilgrimage as well,  trying to figure things out.  Harold gave me hope, that maybe things would work out for me  as they did  for Harold and his wife. 

This touches my heart in ways that I don't want to try and articulate but rather just let be so I can swing back and forth in the arc of its beautiful humanity.

Incarnadine: Poems, by Mary Szybist, recommended here by Shukriyya a few weeks ago.  A wonder, these.... just astonishing.  I am still sorting through my reactions to the whole collection -- because the poems (some of which are available on line here) are like Psalms, in that they can be read singly, or as a whole; and both ways are valid and worthwhile, but the readings are different, depending on their stand-alone or gestalt context...

So glad you are loving this. An earlier book of hers, 'Granted', is going to be winging its way to me this week. From Amazon.,..

Using natural, biblical, and classical imagery, these poems explore the difficulties of faith and love—particularly the difficulties of their expression, their performance. Moving between dramatic and interior monologue, and moving through intersecting histories, the ambiguities of inwardness and the eros of wakeful existence, these poems search for relationships with self, others, the world and God that are authentic—however quirky or strange.

"This is poetry of a rare fine delicacy. Its very modesty testifies to a great ambition—to overcome by the quietest of means."

The 'eros of wakeful existence' is definitely a realm I like to inhabit.

When I finish that I plan to take a deep breath and then dive into a re-read of Martin Buber's I and Thou.... but we'll see.

Oh my, I'm having flashbacks to my existential philosophy class...Sartre, Camus, Nietzche, Buber...the old boys. You're more intrepid than am I as I'm not sure I would be up for a reread through of any of them. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.

Oh, I just remembered a book by an Italian author to recommend: Twice Born by Margaret Mazzantini.  According to Goodreads I read it in the fall of 2011, so it's been a while. But I still don't know how I forgot about it, because it is really very good.   It takes place in Italy and Sarajevo, at the beginning of the war.  Excellent, excellent book.

I am so glad I am not the one that loves Snape. I just finished the seven Harry's chapter. I hesitate about watching the movies, though. Do you recommend them? I don't want the movies to spoil the feelings that the books generate in general. Too much is lost in the making. Les Miserables the movie is never the same as the book. Not that I expect the movie to be equal to the book. It is just that oftener than not, movies make me forget why I like the books in the first place.

I completely understand about not wanting the movies to take away from the experience of the books.  I have seen all of the movies, and just had to keep telling myself that I had to enjoy them in their own right, and try not to compare them too much to the books.  There is quite a bit left out, and some things they changed that I couldn't figure out why, but on the whole I like the movies.  Do not watch them until you have read the whole series, or at least, don't watch a movie of a book you haven't read.

I will say, though, as one Snape lover to the next, I think you need to see the movies just to see Alan Rickman play him.  He is sooooo good as Prof. Snape.

[edited to remove picture]

Let's see...

I'm still on a Terry Pratchett kick and am enjoying it tremendously.

Read two of his books: Guards!Guards! and Sourcery. Started Wyird Sisters.

Also, and this was a quick read, finished Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster. Someone recommended it in a previous 52in52 thread. Loved it! :)

Started reading Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. While I do enjoy his writing style, the subject is not very interesting to me. I'll have to work through it.

Started reading:
The Happiness Project: Or Why I spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun. by Gretchen Rubin

Reading and Writing Across Content Areas by Roberta Sejnost

Still reading: 

Pressure Points: Twelve Global Issues Shaping the Face of the Church by JD Payne
The School Revolution: A New Answer for our Broken Education System by Ron Paul

Finished reading: 
1. The Curiosity by Stephen Kiernan (AVERAGE)
2. The Last Time I Saw Paris by Lynn Sheene (GOOD)
3. Unwind by Neal Shusterman (EXCELLENT)
4. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (EXCELLENT)
5. The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith by Peter Hitchens (AMAZING)
6. Champion by Marie Lu (PRETTY GOOD)
7. Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink (INCREDIBLE) 

8. Cultivating Christian Character by Michael Zigarelli (HO-HUM)

9. Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff (um...WOW. So amazing and sad)