Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW7

Robin M

To those reading, planning to read, or rereading Don Quixote: I think I linked this before but since we have had people join us I'll link it again. It's a Yale Open Course on DQ. The professor is obviously enthusiastic but sometimes hard to listen to (often because of his enthusiasm he goes on a bit too long). I didn't listen to all of the lectures, but instead read the transcripts. It really helped me understand more about the story, about Cervantes, and about Spain during Cervantes' time. 

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So for my light, post DQ reading, I chose Jane Eyre.  I can't believe I haven't read this before.  I felt like I was swimming upstream for most of Don Quixote and Jane Eyre feels like I'm being carried along a current.  It is a treat to read.  I am pleasantly surprised.

In other notes, I really suffered after reading DQ.  To put so much effort into reading something and then have it end...well I just didn't know what to do with myself! :lol:  :leaving:

I am really enjoying Jane Eyre too. 

I've started 'The Moonspinners' and am enjoying Mary Stewart's use of language. It is slow, intentional, both specific and expansive in the same breath without being flowery. A curious combination. She's not interested in rushing and if the reader is well then you'd best be going because that's not the kind of visit she's on about. I'm less than enthused about reading it as an actual book instead of on my kindle. It's one of those old hardcovers from the 60s, do y'all remember them? A nondescript cover in either green, red or blue or black with a faint pattern on them sometimes, the pages yellowed and stained and well-thumbed. Lots of folks have read their physical selves through this book. It does have that lovely book smell though which you don't get on a kindle.

The Kindle has failed to captivate me.  I found it to be convenient a couple of years ago when my husband was working some wacky hours and I was able to read in bed without my bedside lamp disturbing him.  But I like paper! 

I think I may read Don Quixote again someday because I have so many conflicting ideas about it.  The story is still lingering with me.  One of my characters from my last nanowrimo piece reminds me a lot of Don Quixote and I was thinking it might be fun to run with that parallel come fall.  I was also thinking in the car today that I am a lot like Sancho at a feast when it comes to education-  I just want to chow down on everything.

:001_smile:

Which movie did you see?  

We just got home from the Lego Movie, we being me, dh and our 22yo ds.  Oh. My. Goodness!! It was hilarious, zany and wacky awesome fun.   Monty Python meets Toy Story.  And Batman.   

Dh and I are planning to see Monuments Men tonight. It's rare when we both read the same book, so we're looking forward to this. Which movie did you see? 

I'm such a wimp - I can't stand to spend money on a movie unless I know I'm going to like it and unfortunately could only find mediocre reviews. Maybe I'll just grab the kids and see the lego movie today.

The Kindle has failed to captivate me.  I found it to be convenient a couple of years ago when my husband was working some wacky hours and I was able to read in bed without my bedside lamp disturbing him.  But I like paper! 

:001_smile:

I'm surprised by my kindle love because up until 6 months ago I was staunchly pro 'actual book' and anti ebook. But through some invisible-to-me conversion process I now find myself preferring it. Who knew?! ;)

I'm surprised by my kindle love because up until 6 months ago I was staunchly pro 'actual book' and anti ebook. But through some invisible-to-me conversion process I now find myself preferring it. Who knew?! ;)

I debated getting a Kindle for a long time.  I was very much pro-paper-book and I admit I sneered a bit. 

But then I started reading Les Miserables, all 1200+ pages of it.  And carrying it with me to my main reading places (orthodontist waiting room, etc).   The Kindle started looking better.

Coincidentally I thought it would be nice to have an inexpensive device to ease some of the computer gridlock here at home.  2 high school kids + mom sharing one desktop.  Laptops for all, or even for one, were/are out of the question, budgetwise.  And not highly desired for other reasons.  Mainly I wanted something so I could check email and do a few other things while a student was using Khan Academy or doing some writing.   A Kindle Fire seemed like the thing.

Once the Fire arrived, the free and cheap books starting pouring in! 

Now I switch back and forth with ease.  I carry a real book and the Kindle to the orthodontist's office, the rock climbing class, etc so I can read what and how I want.

One sad thing about old books:  acid paper. I have had to discard some beloved books because the aging paper made my eyes sting. 

I still have to be careful not to buy too many books, $1.99 here and there adds up fast!

<snippety snip>

A Kindle Fire seemed like the thing.

Once the Fire arrived, the free and cheap books starting pouring in! 

Now I switch back and forth with ease.  I carry a real book and the Kindle to the orthodontist's office, the rock climbing class, etc so I can read what and how I want.

One sad thing about old books:  acid paper. I have had to discard some beloved books because the aging paper made my eyes sting. 

I still have to be careful not to buy too many books, $1.99 here and there adds up fast!

It's been interesting reading 'The Moonspinners' because I'm aware of how it's a very different experience on many levels, at least for me, reading an actual book and reading in ebook form. I wonder how much it contributes to one's enjoyment of a book. I will continue to take note of the differences between the two as I navigate paper and technology.

Like you I am forever driving, long commutes to various homeschool classes and my basket is usually heavy with thermoses of tea and coffee, lunch and snacks, knitting projects and water bottles. Having to carry various books on top of that load does not appeal. That's where the kindle is a dream. My luddite, romantic self loves paper but my aging eyes are wedded to the PW.

Snape - This Harry Potter geek doesn't understand the love for Snape. He did the right thing for the wrong reasons. He was willing to throw Harry and James to Voldemort (only cared about saving Lily) and was a bitter, nasty man. His lifelong thing for Lily was not love but obsession. I know I'm in the minority. Most HP fans think he's a hero. JK Rowling is with me though. :D  She has said he was fun to write, but she doesn't like him or see him as a hero. 

I don't think he was a hero. However, I do think he was incredibly brave. After Lily was killed he didn't have to do what he did to help Dumbledore (and Harry) to ultimately defeat Voldemort. Yes, he was bitter, but he was also bitter towards Voldemort (and hid it expertly) which led to Voldemort's defeat. Snape couldn't ever be nice or even indifferent to Harry because Voldemort (and the other Death Eaters) would have picked up on that in a second and killed Snape. I think Snape was torn about Harry. Harry reminded him both of Lily and of James. He loved the one and despised the other. So Harry was a torment of pain for Snape. It is dangerous and lonely for a spy. As Harry put it at the end of the story, Snape was one of the bravest men he knew.

Besides James was no golden child and very much tormented Snape. He was a bully. Snape learned to hate and became vindictive. Unfortunately, we know this happens in real life.

More from the Paris Review blog...anyone seen this movie? It's gone onto our Amazon watchlist. And while we're at it what the heck is a 'poetic' bluestocking? Is it just a bluestocking with poetic leanings? The connotations are delicious but I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of my enthusiasm.

When Dan asked us to recommend love-themed staff picks, I was all set to talk about one of my favorite films, the 1945 Powell-Pressburger classic I Know Where I’m Going! Then I saw it described by Vanity Fair as “a cult among poetic bluestockings†and my enthusiasm dimmed somewhat. But it deserves whatever following it has—incidentally, Pauline Kael and Martin Scorsese are in the cult, too—and I can’t think of a more romantic movie than this tale of a willful young woman stranded in the Scottish Hebrides. (When I describe it like that, I can see why the poetic bluestockings are so excited, but don’t let that put you off!) —Sadie Stein

I'm sure I've mentioned that we're doing Narnia for school this year. As one of our related reads, we read aloud When the Sirens Wailed by Noel Streatfield.  It's the story of a group of children who are evacuated during the war as the Pevensie children are in Narnia.  This was a big hit and the children better understood what was going on.

I'm just getting going in That Hideous Strength, but my ILL of Howard's End is on the Landing came in, so I'm going to read it first.  I'm continuing to work through The Liberal Arts Tradition (very, very good) and The Narnian by Alan Jacobs (also quite excellent).  It's bad when I get too many things going ... need a new Read Aloud though.

I'm sure I've mentioned that we're doing Narnia for school this year. As one of our related reads, we read aloud When the Sirens Wailed by Noel Streatfield.  It's the story of a group of children who are evacuated during the war as the Pevensie children are in Narnia.  This was a big hit and the children better understood what was going on.

I've never heard of this one, it sounds interesting. I absolutely adored his Ballet Shoes when I was young.

More from the Paris Review blog...anyone seen this movie? It's gone onto our Amazon watchlist. And while we're at it what the heck is a 'poetic' bluestocking? Is it just a bluestocking with poetic leanings? The connotations are delicious but I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of my enthusiasm.

When Dan asked us to recommend love-themed staff picks, I was all set to talk about one of my favorite films, the 1945 Powell-Pressburger classic I Know Where I’m Going! Then I saw it described by Vanity Fair as “a cult among poetic bluestockings†and my enthusiasm dimmed somewhat. But it deserves whatever following it has—incidentally, Pauline Kael and Martin Scorsese are in the cult, too—and I can’t think of a more romantic movie than this tale of a willful young woman stranded in the Scottish Hebrides. (When I describe it like that, I can see why the poetic bluestockings are so excited, but don’t let that put you off!) —Sadie Stein

Best thing I could find was this:

The Blue Stocking society had no membership formalities or fees but was conducted as small to large gatherings in which talk of politics was prohibited but literature and the arts were of main discussion. Learned women with interest in these educational discussions attended as well as invited male guests. Tea, biscuits and other light refreshments would be served to guests by the hostesses.

Basically a woman of intellect in the 18th century and originated from the fact that women of the group wore blue stockings.  Blue stockings today probably refer to the rich upper class snotty types. I'm stereotyping of course.

I've never heard of this one, it sounds interesting. I absolutely adored his Ballet Shoes when I was young.

I think she's a her :)  I never read Ballet Shoes (although my oldest started it, said she liked it, and never finished it).  I first hear of Streatfield in "You've Got Mail" when beleaguered Meg Ryan is in the Fox books answering a question.   Anyway, Gillian (who posts on the Hive and has a blog Explorations in Learning) had this on her list for Narnia studies, so I found a used copy and am glad I did.  If Ballet Shoes is of equal quality in writing, I can see why you enjoyed it!

You wouldn't believe how many people have told me they didn't know Streatfield wrote anything other than the Shoes books, but her GoodReads page has a long list ... adult books too! :)

I think she's a her :)  I never read Ballet Shoes (although my oldest started it, said she liked it, and never finished it).  I first hear of Streatfield in "You've Got Mail" when beleaguered Meg Ryan is in the Fox books answering a question.   Anyway, Gillian (who posts on the Hive and has a blog Explorations in Learning) had this on her list for Narnia studies, so I found a used copy and am glad I did.  If Ballet Shoes is of equal quality in writing, I can see why you enjoyed it!

You wouldn't believe how many people have told me they didn't know Streatfield wrote anything other than the Shoes books, but her GoodReads page has a long list ... adult books too! :)

My daughter liked all the * Shoes books.  There was a movie of Ballet Shoes that we enjoyed quite a bit.  I don't know how it compared with the book since I never read it.  I don't remember if my daughter thought it was faithful or not. But we liked it!

ETA: I just went to the author's Goodreads page.  OK, my daughter did not read all the * Shoes books.  There are a bunch!  So many I never heard of.  I don't suppose she'd like them anymore....

Another good time-travel book is Octavia Butler's Kindred. I finished it a couple of weeks ago.

As far as dropping books, I think I've only done that once or twice. But, I'm having a difficult time with the book I'm reading right now and am considering dropping it. It's Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It was recommended here and sounded like something I'd really like. But, I'm having a hard time staying interested. I hate giving up on books, though. I keep thinking that if I just read a little bit more it will all fall into place and I'll end up loving it (or at least liking it).

And, I don't remember who recommended Cinnamon and Gunpowder, but I just finished it a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. It was kind of a fun romp with some interesting cooking thrown in. It was a nice break after slogging through The Goldfinch.

Well, harumph, I like the Paris Review blog well enough but when I clicked on their interviews from 2010 to present of the 32 interviews, only 7 of them were women. :ohmy:  That is just not right. They do however have a wonderful interview with Roberto Calasso. Anyone here read his books? His two most well known are The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony and Ka, both fabulous but the latter is a particularly creative and beautiful retelling of the ancient Indian myths and earliest teachers. Here is the interview on the Paris Review blog.

Oh my goodness! Ever since I was 10 years old, I thought she was a he! I went through a ballet worshipping phase when I was young. I still have the book.

The Eyre Affair (Fforde)

I don't get the love for this book!  I was so excited to read this a couple years ago and for me it was an epic fail.  I thought it had one of the coolest premises I had seen in a while but the execution left so much wanting.  Add that to the 2-3 pages in the middle where he used the f-word something like 20 times with no purpose... :ack2:

Beautiful!  And dd wants to go to Portland to have Voodoo Donuts  :p

As far as dropping books, I think I've only done that once or twice. But, I'm having a difficult time with the book I'm reading right now and am considering dropping it. It's Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It was recommended here and sounded like something I'd really like. But, I'm having a hard time staying interested. I hate giving up on books, though. I keep thinking that if I just read a little bit more it will all fall into place and I'll end up loving it (or at least liking it).

Not my favorite Stephenson. DH read it to me because I got bored with it halfway through and he was still excited about it. I do like Stephenson a lot (especially The Diamond Age which is one of my favorite books), but that one the limited characterization, haphazard world building, and credulity-straining ending get to me. 

The Eyre Affair

I love Fforde's wordplay. He's almost always a fun read. I'm not sure you ever receive any closure from him. Books end. Characters end. Things happen. I rarely feel like finishing any of his series because everything feels so open-ended. I did enjoy The Eyre Affair though because it introduced a novel and fascinating world. It was never boring and it had an unashamed love of playing with words. Fairy Tales for Lit majors trying to make a go of it in the real world. :)