Menu

Does anyone else dread outdoor play?

AimeeM

I love the outdoors. Camping, hiking, picnincs... But I don't like outdoor play exactly. I'm not good at making an effort to get them outside each day to play. Especially in the winter. Plan a hiking trip and I'm all over it. But suggest taking the kids down to the playground and it's "ooooookaaaaay, I guess I should....." I can't wait until we're in a house. With a backyard and a fence. So I can open the door and say "go play".

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the outdoors.  Even nice weather.  It is the sun and wind that bugs me.  I have very fair skin.  If I'm outdoors, I want to be underwater.

The other day DD wanted to go to the park around lunch time.  I said we couldn't go "because it was all sunny out there".  DH was amused.  He loves the outdoors, but somehow I became the Outdoor Parent (sigh)

This year I discovered the joys of ski pants, not just for skiing.  When you dress appropriately for the weather, it is enjoyable.

I always were my snow pants when we go outside in winter. My main reason is not warmth, but protection from wetness. I sometimes sit in the snow, or decide to take s short cut. Today I took a shortcut and ended up sinking in snow to half way up my thigh, and having to crawl out of the snow bank.

I LOVE outdoor play. My kids are so much happier without their "stuff" and rules for their pretend-play games, and I'm much happier without the nag of cleaning or unfinished projects or other things we "ought" to be doing that always weighs on me while we're at home.

I HATE going to the playground. Two of my kids have SPD and could swing for hours. Literally. The third likes swinging to a degree but would much rather play, and gets pouty and frustrated when his siblings refuse to get off the swings. 

I do tire of the mess. We live in a sandy area, and there's always dirt everywhere. It's overwhelming at times. That's why I tend to spend most of our time outside!

4. I learned to DRESS for the weather.  Having the right gear makes a huge difference.  I am almost never cold outside.  I have more jackets and winter wear than I do regular clothing.  I have several pairs of boots for various weather as well.

This is key.  After we moved from Asia to Scotland, I invested in good clothes for us all.  Then, for the first few months, I made sure that we were outside (country walks mostly) every day.  They learned that, with the right clothing, they could cope with any weather.

Scotland isn't too extreme, but in winter I wear three layers of tops, two layers on my bottom half, wool socks, waterproof hiking boots, fleece lined gloves, and a really good coat, as well as waterproof trousers when necessary.

I'd much rather live somewhere cold than somewhere hot - in Hong Kong, wearing as little as I decently could, I was never comfortable.

L

I think there are three different questions here or points.  Do you like the outdoors?  Do you like playing outdoors?  Do you like playing outdoors with your children? 

On point one- I love the outdoors. I love gardening and going to gardens.  I love birding.  I generally love nature.  I

On point two- I used to love playing outdoors- tennis, soccer, etc.  Since I have had arthritis since my early 20's, I haven't "played" outdoors.

On point three- Because of point two and because I generally didn't play with kids much and didn't think I needed to, I never played with my kids outdoors and didn't even play with them all that much indoors except sometimes card games or board games.  I would occasionally play for a short, short while with a very small child but generally I thought kids should amuse themselves. 

I would take kids to playgrounds when they were little before they could go alone.  However, because of my chronic illnesses, I think I usually went when my dh was free when the first one was still very small and then until at least the child could maneuver into playground equipment themselves or get them out themselves or until the oldest was big enough to help the youngers which probably was by the time the second could enjoy playgrounds.  After that point, I would take them by myself.

Oh and I don't think they missed anything by me not playing with them.  They played alone, with siblings, with friends,  with various organized activities, and with their father who gladly played soccer with them, tennis with them, etc, etc.

Not a big fan either.  I wish I didn't have to drive to take a walk, our road is dangerous.  My compromise for my general "not outdoors" lifestyle is to go camping every year for 1-3 weeks on a nearby island.  We all get our fill of sun, wind, water and outdoorsy fun.

We have a fantastic houseguest, he is 26, he takes the girls sledding on occasion and swimming in the summer.  Best "adopted" brother ever.

Youngest has seasonal allergies and eldest has more issues than I can enumerate that make it difficult for her to enjoy outside as a rule.

I hate being in the sun.

I hate it. Our backyard is a disaster...very sloped, and rutted on top of that. It's not good for running, not level enough for a swing set, and forget about trying to play a game! We do play in the front yard when it's nice, but there's not a lot of space there. It is good for a game of washers, though!

If the weather is friendly (not hot), I don't mind going to the park too much, because there's lots of things to do. But I hate how super vigilant I have to be. It's getting better as the children get older, but my 8-year-old has autism, and has to be watched constantly, plus the toddler of course needs constant supervision. It's just so much work!

Nature walks are fun, though. Quieter and calmer, and less opportunities for wandering off.

This thread makes me feel so normal!   My DH loves the outdoors.  He loves, gardening, chopping wood, raking the yard, hunting, whatever he can do outside, he loves.I love him, so I go out there with him.  I bring a camera, a chair and conversation.  It works for us.

However, I also was raised summers at the lake.  I can take my book and my ice water and go to the beach anywhere.

My kids played outside all the time, and I took them to parks.  I take my grandkids to parks and pools, but I also send them out to the sandbox.  If they are too young to be out there alone, I get my lawn chair and watch them.