Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 2/2 - 2/8

Negin

http://www.doyogawithme.com - I did not quite 30 minutes of this one: http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/beginner-basics-flow yesterday with my daughter, who spent her time lying flat on her yoga mat laughing hysterically at me. :p

I think I will try this one today: http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/stretch-and-bend as I'm pretty stiff from yesterday's attempt. :)

8 mile run this morning, on my treadmill because it looked like it would pour at any moment.  The run felt great.  I also got my 30 minute kriya in.

Someone asked about Yoga video recommendations.  I have no idea about stuff on Netflix.  I know of a few DVDs that you can get from Amazon, but I don't have time at the moment to link them.  I'll try and get to it either Monday or Tuesday.  Right now I'll mention Shiva Rea.  I have 1 of her DVDs and I enjoy it.  I also own some from Yoga Journal and they are great starter videos.  

Bootcamp this morning. I was ready to leave 1/2 way through with murder in my heart but I stuck it out and finished and no longer feel homicidal about it.

I had to rush home for the kids so no 3 mile run afterwards but I will get in a 2.5 mile hilly trail run this afternoon plus stretching and 30 minutes of yoga.

Sunday - Walked on the beach with dh and dd looking for shells(does that count)

Monday  -only walked 1.5 miles  motivation is way down.

Tuesday - Made myself get out the door at 2p and run/walk 3 miles then did a basic kettlebell workout when I got home!

Today was a kettlebell day.  I did my 10 minute run, followed by 3 sets of 1 min planks and deadlifts.  Then it was squats with shoulder row followed by lunges.  Also did half-get ups, then did a high intensity ending of 3 sets of 20 heavy swings, 20 secs push ups, 20 sec pull up.  It was a good workout.  I also did some yoga when I was done. 

Here's a few yoga dvd recommendations.

Tara Stiles looks good, anything by Rodney Yee, I have enjoyed Shiva Rea, and if you wanted some Kundalini/flow mix I like Kia Miller.

I believe there is somewhere online that has something of Rodney Yee for free (to stream), and Yoga Journal also has some free streamable routines. 

HTH

Another day, another bootcamp. No time to run after or hike today so I am going to do yoga stretching after dinner and then head to the gym for an hour or so more cardio while the boys work on pinewood derby cars. I am feeling inspired to break through to the next step so I am committed to at least 2 hours a day 6 days a week plus stretching. Usually that is 1 hr bootcamp plus some cardio outdoors and stretching at home but the days are short so I am trying to hit the gym or skating if I don't manage that second hour after bootcamp.

I woke up sore from the fitness blender barre workout from yesterday- I didn't expect that.  It felt so gentle while I was doing it but I was sore enough that I changed what I had planned on doing today at the gym to doing just 30 min. elliptical and then pull ups and stretching and pushups.  

I think I'm getting hooked on barre stuff- it has just what I need to strengthen my legs in order to protect my knees.  Maybe it will make my kicks faster in martial arts too... I can hope anyway.  

I did SI yoga on monday, and today did SI, shoulders/neck, and GI.  I like the other dvd better for GI, so I probably won't do that one again, but I plan on doing the SI/neck a couple times a week. (at least once.)  it's a workout too. 

I had a massage yesterday, by my favorite massuese.  she. beat. up. the back of. my. hips!  which meant the muscles were really tight after having been less mobile due to injury.  so, I am moving better, but very sore . . . . .

I made it to bootcamp but I was very dizzy from the early signs of a migraine. That wasn't fun but I came home and went to bed for several hours. That seems to have helped me stave off the headache from blowing up.

I will probably give myself the rest of the day off beyond stretching at home.

My bootcamp was cancelled because if was so cold. The car said 14 when I headed there so I get it. So I rerouted to the Y and did 4 miles on intervals on the stair thingy (very technical term I know!) and weights for my arms. I'll do crunch sets and some push-ups plus stretching at home later today.

I registered for the Seattle Marathon (the half, I am not much of a runner) as well when I got a coupon code in my email. My husband is going to train with me. This is a first.

I shoveled for an hour and a half. Worked up quite a sweat and I can feel it in the muscles on my sides. I'm gonna count that as good.

Snow got in the way of my regular routine this week.

Monday, I was snowed in. I ran 3.5 on the treadmill

Tuesday, met my workout partner at the gym and lifted for an hour

Wednesday, more snow. LOTS more snow!! Decided to wear my HR monitor while I shoveled just to get an idea of how much I burn and where my HR goes....I burned over 1100 Kcal in 2 hours!!!! Heart rate was similar to an easier paced run! Burn was almost identical! Amazing! Shoveling snow is an awesome aerobic workout that tones your core and arms as well, and I am sure all that squatting counted for something too!!

Thursday: rest day!

Friday: 1 hour cycle class

And here I am at 6AM Saturday morning getting ready for boot camp! If I have anything left when it is over, I am going to put a few miles on the treadmill. Time to get ready for spring racing. GOAL: half marathon in June.

Registered for 10 Ks in April and May, and a mud run in May as warm up races for June. We'll see how it goes.

Trying to fit Ina couple treadmill sessions and general body weight stuff with all the running around I need to do today. I already took ds to a Klondkie while dh has kinder girl at her bb game. I've got other places to be soif I can walk 3 miles now and 3 more tonight and throw in push ups, etc after lunch that's about all I can do today.

1 1/2 hours at Open Mat this morning.  Managed 40 flutter kicks at a time before losing my form.  But honestly didn't have much energy.  I spent a lot of time standing around "thinking" about what to do next.  I'm still sore from Thursday and I ate all the wrong foods this week...  

I hope all you ladies have a lovely weekend.

Swam 50 laps straight (no breaks!) on Mon. and again Wed., after 10 weeks of complete inactivity. Felt amazingly good for having been such a slug! Hoping to increase speed this coming week, and then increase amount of laps to 72 (1 mile) in about 2 weeks... Once I'm keeping at a steady rate of 2-3 swim sessions a week, I'll work on adding back in 2-3 mornings of a 2-4 mile walk/jog.