Menu

New to homeschooling & I need help!

mama2kck

I took my kids out of public school this week. I have a 3.5yr old, 5yr old(will be 6 in a few wks..in kindergarten) and 8yr old 2nd grader. I have bought Horizons math for them and that is all. I am so very lost and feeling pretty inadequate right now! I was planning to buy 100 EZ lessons to teach my K how to read. But as far as any other parts of language arts I don't know what to buy and what to cover for him or my 2nd grader. Is there a Language Arts curriculum that covers it all? Or do I need to get something separate to cover spelling, writing, reading, vocabulary, handwriting and grammar? Is there something that I am missing? And also can I teach all 3 kids science, history/geography, music, pe and art all together? I would love to know what others are using as their curriculum for each subject. And I'd also like to know how everyone does their daily schedule, as far as how long to spend on each subject and how many days a week. I am so lost! please help! TIA!

Hi, and welcome!

First, it's perfectly normal to feel worried and overwhelmed at this point. You have to have faith that things will come together for you.

Second, expect a period of adjustment and trial-and-error. If the first home education program that you figure out doesn't work, that won't mean you failed. It will just mean you need tweak a bit. So try not to stress about "getting it right" all at once.

Not sure whether you are interested in classical style education or just home ed in general? Have you had a look at the book The Well Trained Mind? Many (most?) of us around here don't follow it completely, but it does offer a great starting point, which you can then customize until you have a classical education model that works for you and your children. If you're not sure yet what style of homeschooler you want to be, it's nice to start with something like TWTM because you'll know you are "covering" all the important things. You can always relax your approach later if you find that you're more 'unschooly' or whatever.

I think that as you're starting from scratch with two school-aged kids and a 3yo who may or may not want to 'do school', focussing mainly on reading, writing and math to start with is a good approach. Yes, you can certainly do the other subjects with all the kids together, but don't stress about getting everything done right away. Begin with the basics and grow your schedule as you become more confident with home education.

With schedules, there are many ways to arrange yours. TWTM offers various suggestions, and there are also some threads here about it (you may need to use the search function to locate older threads). There are actual home school scheduling programs (eg Skedtrack) if you want that level of organization. You could also consider daily/weekly checklists, workboxes, etc. If you just google you'll find tons of info.

Good luck with starting your homeschool journey, and feel free to ask questions here if you can't find the info by searching existing threads. The members are generally really friendly and helpful with answering questions.

ETA: Also, don't buy too many resources all at once. Most subjects can be taught using free stuff from the library and/or the internet, so there is no hurry to get a curriculum for everything you'd like your kids to learn. It's OK to 'do history' by reading picture books and watching kid-friendly documentaries until you decide for sure what will be worth buying.

Hi, and welcome!

First, it's perfectly normal to feel worried and overwhelmed at this point. You have to have faith that things will come together for you.

Second, expect a period of adjustment and trial-and-error. If the first home education program that you figure out doesn't work, that won't mean you failed. It will just mean you need tweak a bit. So try not to stress about "getting it right" all at once.

Not sure whether you are interested in classical style education or just home ed in general? Have you had a look at the book The Well Trained Mind? Many (most?) of us around here don't follow it completely, but it does offer a great starting point, which you can then customize until you have a classical education model that works for you and your children. If you're not sure yet what style of homeschooler you want to be, it's nice to start with something like TWTM because you'll know you are "covering" all the important things. You can always relax your approach later if you find that you're more 'unschooly' or whatever.

I think that as you're starting from scratch with two school-aged kids and a 3yo who may or may not want to 'do school', focussing mainly on reading, writing and math to start with is a good approach. Yes, you can certainly do the other subjects with all the kids together, but don't stress about getting everything done right away. Begin with the basics and grow your schedule as you become more confident with home education.

With schedules, there are many ways to arrange yours. TWTM offers various suggestions, and there are also some threads here about it (you may need to use the search function to locate older threads). There are actual home school scheduling programs (eg Skedtrack) if you want that level of organization. You could also consider daily/weekly checklists, workboxes, etc. If you just google you'll find tons of info.

Good luck with starting your homeschool journey, and feel free to ask questions here if you can't find the info by searching existing threads. The members are generally really friendly and helpful with answering questions.

ETA: Also, don't buy too many resources all at once. Most subjects can be taught using free stuff from the library and/or the internet, so there is no hurry to get a curriculum for everything you'd like your kids to learn. It's OK to 'do history' by reading picture books and watching kid-friendly documentaries until you decide for sure what will be worth buying.

:iagree:

It's normal to feel overwhelemed.  The bonus is you are starting at a great age, where you can easily just focus on the three r's and let everything else slide for this year.  I'd take the time to just focus on adjusting to a new routine and "deschooling" as it were.

I'd spend some time reading and researching.  These are a great resource for the bits and pieces you might want to cover:  http://www.amazon.com/Third-Grader-Needs-Revised-Edition/dp/0385336268/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391264006&sr=8-1&keywords=What+Your+Third+Grader+Needs+to+Know  there is a book for each grade level. I found them to be a great jumping off point.

Definitely plan to change some curriculum.  We started in K and it's taken us until grade 4 to find our groove.  LOL

I'd also research your state laws and make sure you are filling all the requirements. 

Best of luck!  Have fun!! :)

Welcome to the world of loving to learn at home!

As stated above, TWTM book is your new friend...... Along with The WTM Forum!

I agree that the Core Knowledge books are a helpful resource with a ton of information, also. Don't feel like you have to accomplish everything in these guides! They can be extremely overwhelming for a new homeschooler.... As they were for me!

I would feel somewhat lost without the Forum and TWTM!

There are so many new & shiny programs out there! I would advise to first cover the necessities..... 3R's.....then as you and your children get comfortable with hs, add more! The younger years are full of self discovery and lots of reading! Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Trained-Mind-Guide-Classical-Education/dp/0393067084/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391266251&sr=1-1&keywords=the+well+trained+mind+2013

You may find our homeschool blog helpful with lots of links & free resources. The link is in my signature below!

Oh, my favorite planning resource has been Scholaric. Though yours may be a bit young to even have to use it right at first. You might find a blank lesson page booklet more to your liking. Donna Young.org has that for you!

http://donnayoung.org/index.htm

No worries..... Homeschooling takes one day at a time!

Remember, the Forum and your local support groups are here to help!

Ă°Å¸Ëœâ‚¬

Getting started is really overwhelming.  The most important advice that I give to new homeschoolers is to not jump into curriculum or spend too much for it too fast (like I did).  You need to do quite a bit of research and decide what you think is best for your family first.  Also, even after doing that research, don't commit yourself to anything expensive until the second year.  This is because you need a little experience under your belt before you will even know what is best for your family.  Most people make significant changes between year 1 and year 2 of homeschooling based on that first year of experience.

Seriously, I would stick with what you have already planned and just start that.  Get lots of library books and read to them.  Get some books that list good literature such as Honey for the Child's Heart, Books Children Love, and The Read-Aloud Handbook so that you know what books to get.  Get a map and show them where the stories you read take place in the world.  Give yourself a month or so to research LA for your 8yo, focusing on what is less expensive for now.  Meanwhile have your dc do some writing in the form of letters or journal writing.  Get some good-quality art supplies and let them have some time with them.  

You do not have to start with a full load.  In fact, I never start with a full load (except for my first year).  At the beginning of each school year, I add in all my subjects gradually over 2-3 weeks.  

thanks yall! I'm so nervous! I don't want to fail my kids! Is there any curriculum/program yall recommend for the English/language arts part for my 2nd grader and my K? If I use 100 ez lessons for my K with math is that enough for now? or what else should I teach along with it? How many hours a day does homeschooling these grades take? If it's any help...my 2nd grader loves workbooks and writing and stuff. my K is a boy...wiggly wiggly boy full of energy and hates writing lol. but he loves Legos and stuff. thanks yall!

Guest MySchoolroom

As the others have said I think at this point the library can be a great resource. Homeschool can be overwhelming simply because it is all over the map in terms of styles. Find what works best for you and most importantly don't pressure your children. What takes all day at public school can be condensed into an hour or two at home. Your kids will do great.

Welcome to the hive!! These women are awesome. I've been visiting for years, but joined a few months ago when my son turned 3.

1.) Don't feel inadequate, you're the most qualified teacher they've ever had.

2.) During the transition from school to home, many parents choose to deschool, as in take a month or so off to get their heads together. That doesn't sound like too terrible of an idea to me.

100 EZ- Good choice. A great fit for our son!

Full Language Arts Programs-Language Lessons Through Literature, Reading Lessons Through Literature, The Phonics Road To Selling & Reading, any "big name" company will have a full program (A Beka, Bob Jones, Rod and Staff).

Science-Apologia(Christian), Mr. Q(Secular)

History/Geography-Mystery of History(Christian), Story of The World(Either)

If you have access to a library or a good bookstore I would go check out The Well Trained Mind ASAP. It's a big book so it looks a bit intimidating but the elementary section is small and most of that is made of up of listing of resources and curriculum she recommends. That way you have a guide and a plan for where you're heading. Even if it takes you 2 weeks or a month to get all of your resources together you can always do a little over the summer or double up once or twice a week and you'll be caught up.

For the K'er I would worry mainly about the reading. Math if you have the time but as long as he's reading by next fall he should be able to tackle 1st grade work. The 2nd grader will need a little more, but you can always start small and add on as you get more and more comfortable.

As others said, I would read The Well-Trained Mind first!  It's a really thick book that might look overwhelming, but don't let that scare you off: it covers preschool through grade 12, with lots and lots of resources listed.  The meaty bits won't take you that long to read.

I agree with everyone else not to worry about needing to make everything perfect starting Monday.  I'd treat the next few weeks as February break, and let your kids unwind and deschool a bit.  If the oldest wants to do some workbooks, go to Barnes and Noble and buy her some, but don't worry about making sure that she does them.  It is IMPOSSIBLE for a 5 year old and a 3 year old to be behind in school, and while I guess it's possible for a 2nd grader to be behind, I think the only thing that would qualify is if they totally can't read or write.  You have time to research and find new things.

I'd let them play and read for a few weeks while you figure things out.  These forums are an amazing font of information... note that you'll quickly find that what Family A says is the best thing ever, Family B says was a total disaster!  And yet, everyone's kids will turn out okay :)

FWIW, here's what I use:

Zaner Bloser handwriting (really like this style, nice colorful workbooks with good quality paper)

Spelling Workout (basic, but seems to be working, you might have to add in some other assignments and a spelling test at the end of the week)

Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing (I'm ambivalent)

Math Mammoth (I really like this, but it's pretty basic)

Mathematics Enhancement Programme (aka MEP... love this program, though it's very nontraditional.  It is, however, TOTALLY FREE, which you really can't beat.  If you google it, you'll find it.  It is, however, VERY teacher intensive... the lessons are all in the teacher's guide, and the worksheet really just reinforces the lessons.)

History Odyssey (I really like this, and we supplement it with lots of picture books)

REAL Science Odyssey (We haven't been great about keeping up with this, which is too bad, because it's really great)

Next year I plan on keeping all of the above, except for grammar and composition I'm going to use Galore Park's Junior English book 1. It's English, but I think it's roughly for 2nd graders.

I wouldn't get too overwhelmed by trying to do all subjects right now, especially since you're starting from scratch. Math, reading, and writing are the most important. I would get those squared away before I even thought about history, science, music, etc. Also, I wouldn't worry about vocabulary for a 2nd grader.

We use separate programs for language arts, so I can't comment on all-in-one language arts programs. CLE's language arts is grammar, spelling, & penmenship, but I have no experience with it. And I'm not sure if you want a secular or religious curriculum. 

For writing we use Writing With Ease, which focuses on copywork, narration, and dictation. If you have a reluctant writer, it might be a good place to start.

Do you have a good library nearby? Set your second-grader up with a big old basket of books for a couple of weeks while you do the research. How good a reader/writer/speller do you have? That will make a difference in people's recommendations.

We are doing K right now with the list linked here. You have math covered, and 100 Easy Lessons on the way, right? Get the Handwriting Without Tears orange book.

You can definitely group the kids all together for social studies, science, art, music, and PE. I am doing geography with just maps. I had DS memorize the continents, then the oceans, and then we're just doing a few countries in each region and some major rivers and mountain ranges.

For science, again, pull library books out even for the rest of this school year if you want to, and read them to the whole group. Animals, plants, space, and the human body are easy topics to find books for.

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. You've gotten some great advice. I'm not sure what kind of person you are, like if you're thinking.... my kids had a horrible time in ps, we need to take some time, regroup and heal a bit or whether you're feeling like you want to pick up and make share your kids don't miss a beat. KWIM? If it's the former, then I'd take some time, read TWTM, make sure you're reading a lot of quality books to your kids, do some writing and math every day and just regroup as a family. If you're in the latter camp, I would still read TWTM, but I'd probably finish the year with a math and LA program from A Beka or Bob Jones (if you don't mind a Christian curriculum), supplement with science and history books from the library. Take the summer off, explore your options, decide if the boxed curriculum is what you want to continue with or what you want to do.

Oh, and visit these forums every day. ;)

I did mean that kind of tongue in cheek, but there is a lot of information to be gleaned by moms who have btdt, used and love curriculum, or used and discarded curriculum (although you do have to take that with a grain of salt, some of us here love A Beka phonics, for example, some hate it, and we all have our reasons)

So for my kindergartener "reading" means obviously I need to teach him now to read. But what exactly is "reading" for my 2nd grader? She can read good but there is also room for improvement I think. Is there a program I need? Or does she just need to read daily? Are there questions I should ask her after reading or worksheets or something?

My 2nd grader reads well but could read better. She has for some reason forgot to spell recently. She keeps asking me how to spell "when" and little words like that. Her handwriting is good. But I'm not sure what you mean by how her "writing" is. We are in NC on the Marine Corps base.

So for my kindergartener "reading" means obviously I need to teach him now to read. But what exactly is "reading" for my 2nd grader? She can read good but there is also room for improvement I think. Is there a program I need? Or does she just need to read daily? Are there questions I should ask her after reading or worksheets or something?

I am a bit of a traditionalist. I did buy "readers" from A Beka, but if you don't want to go that route yet, go to the library, get a stack if the easy reading books and have her read a page aloud, then you read a page aloud. At the end of a chapter, ask her a few questions to make sure she understood what she read. That's all. And do plenty of read aloud with all your kids. IMO, reading aloud quality literature on a regular basis is one of the best things you can do for your kids educationally.

At her age, I'd have her do copy work for writing. Get some paper lined for her age and copy some short sentences that she can read herself. Maybe start with one sentence. Then have her copy underneath. Continue to add sentences daily as she is able.

My 2nd grader reads well but could read better. She has for some reason forgot to spell recently. She keeps asking me how to spell "when" and little words like that. Her handwriting is good. But I'm not sure what you mean by how her "writing" is. We are in NC on the Marine Corps base.

There are a bazillion spelling programs out there for her grade level, so no stress there. My friend used and highly recommends Spell to Read and Write, but there are others.

I would check out Ambleside Online for recommended reading. It's actually a full curriculum site, but they have droolworthy booklists.

I have kids that are the same age as yours, mama2kck. I will share what we are doing, then I will give you a quick rundown of how last year went for us when I started hsing my 6yo DD alongside her 9yo brother who is special needs.

What Each Child Does:

C's Curriculum: (DD, 7yo 2nd grader, went to ps for K, hs'ed 1st and 2nd grades so far)
English - Ambleside Y2 + You Read To Me, I'll Read to You + Weekly Recitations from A Child's Garden of Verses
Spelling - Steck-Vaughn Level 2 + Homemade Spelling Cards
Phonics - Spectrum Grade 2 (as needed)
History - SotW 2
Math - Singapore 2B + One Minute Math Drills (mom-made) + Kumon Grade 2-3 workbooks + Number Charts
Science - RS4K Elementary Biology
Spanish - Fluent Forever Method + Immersion w/ DVDs + My First Bilingual Little Readers Level A
Penmanship - HWT Printing Power + Daily Copywork from Reading Selections
Art - Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters (1 Lesson per week, other activities go along with history and English)
PE - Taekwondo 2x week
Character - Weekly Selection from "Book of Virtues" and discussion
Life Skills - Daily Chores
Other - Lego building projects, Skylanders, and plenty of pony time in her room

T's Curriculum: (5yo K boy, soon to be 6)
English - Ambleside Y0 + Thematic Units + Reading Rainbow and Between the Lions videos from internet and library
Phonics - Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons + BOB books + WordWorld and LeapFrog Phonics Factory
Math - Kumon Workbooks My Book of Numbers + LeapFrog Numberland and LeapFrog Numbers Ahoy! + Homemade Worksheets
Science - RS4K Elementary Biology
Spanish - Flashcards + Immersion w/ DVDs and books
Art - Kumon Coloring, Tracing, Cutting, and Pasting + Dot-to-Dot puzzles + Art Activities from the Internet
Music - Kids Songs from YouTube while playing
Character - Weekly Read from books about manners + Minding Your Manners chart + Leadership and teamwork activities
Life Skills - Daily Chores + Melissa and Doug activities + activity time (sorting, matching, memory, fine motor skills practice)
Other - Geotrax and Duplo/Megablox projects + Skylanders w/ Big Sister

D's Curriculum for Totschool: (3yo Pre-K boy, soon to 4)

English - Thematic Units + Reading Rainbow and Between the Lions videos from internet and library
Math - Counting activities and books, lots of hands-on games like number Bingo, guess how many?, checker stack, memory, match the pattern with Duplo/Megablox
Spanish - Flashcards + Immersion w/ DVDs and books
Art - Art Activities from the Internet
Music - Kids Songs from YouTube while playing
Character - Weekly Read from books about manners + Minding Your Manners chart + Leadership and teamwork activities
Life Skills - Daily Chores + Melissa and Doug activities + activity time (sorting, matching, memory, fine motor skills practice)
Other - Likes trains, puzzles and Rescue Heroes. Will watch just about anything his brothers watch on tv.

My first year of hsing was very rough. At that time, I had pulled my then 8yo oldest son from public school after we moved to a new district that did not offer the program that he needed for his special needs. We decided to homeschool on a trial basis for one year only and were going to move back to our old district if my DH could get another job. I put my DD in Kindergarten for half-day and sent her and my then 3yo son to preschool for the other half of the day. I had a 1 year old still at home and shortly after we moved, I found out I was expecting again. :scared:

I was fortunate enough to find a teenage girl at my church to come over and watch my 1yo three mornings a week so I could work with the oldest. We went through 3 math curriculums that first year....Everyday Math, Singapore, and finally we settled on Saxon. I had to do intensive phonics with him and we had to start at ground zero with penmanship, art, and life skills. It was very difficult for me and for him, but after about 5 months, he began to improve. He was able to pay attention and we were able to move beyond basics.

Last year, we added DD and the rest of the crew to the mix. We added History to our curriculum, as well as Ambleside English, Spelling, Spanish and Science. I was able to detemine what worked and what didn't with each of my older kids. They both need lots of oversight and hand-holding, whereas my 5yo works well on his own and doesn't require as much prodding and correction. My 3yo likes art, coloring, and puzzles, so he is easy to please. He is interested in school activities and likes to sit at the table during the big kids' lesson time.

The 2yo goes to grandma's 3 mornings a week and to other grandma's 2 evenings a week. The 3yo and 5yo also go to grandma's in the evenings and have a weekly playdate at a close friend's house on Thursdays. So that's the day that the older kids usually have their tests, do big projects, etc. It isn't perfect.

Our days usually look something like this:

Wake up - 6

Lounge, breakfast, sleep in, watch tv, stay away from me until I have morning coffee - 7:30-8

Dressed, errands if needed - 8:30-10am

Start school - 9:30-10:30

Break - 11ish

More school

Lunch - 1ish

More school

School Done - no later than 2:30

Family time, outing, watch a movie, whatever - wraps up around 3-3:30

Naps, quiet time for older kids - 3-5ish

Dad's home - 5ish

Taekwondo for C and K, guitar lessons for K - 6ish

Kid's ministry - 6-7 one evening a week

Dad and K+C return home around 7, 7:30, then Dinner

Older Kids in bed by 9 at latest, littles in bed by 10.

Mom and Dad - Whenever. ;)

Hope this helps.

If it helps, my older two are 2nd grade and K so you can check what's in my sig. If I were you, I'd get ONE THING going really consistently. I'd probably get reading going well, which mens lessons for Ker, silent reading for 2 grader. Then I'd add in math. Then I'd probably add writing and grammar for your second grader. When all of that's going well, I'd consider adding content subjects such as history and science (which can absolutely be combined). To be honest, at this point, I'd aim to have figured out where everyone was in language arts and math and what curric I wanted to use and then maybe spend the rest of the year figuring out science and history curricula.

ETA: Our schoolwork consistently takes two hours between the two kids.

My 2nd grader is using...

Grammar- FLL2

Writing- WWE2

Phonics- Explode the Code 3/4

Spelling- SpellWellA/Aa

Handwriting- Zane Bloser 2M

Math- Math Mammoth 2, Life of Fred

Science- BrainPop Jr., the library, Discovery Channel, and Animal Planet

History- Story of the World 1, library, and History Channel

Art- Outside art class

PE- Homeschool group get togethers (gymnastics, skating, Jump Its, etc...)

Literature- Ambleside Online Reading list plus gems I have had referred here

She only does sit down work 3 hours a day give or take.

You've already gotten so much good advice!  I'd second the recommendation to get one ball in the air at a time before you start juggling.  :-) 

For language arts, your K'r probably only needs:  phonics of some kind (100 Easy Lessons, Phonics Pathways, etc.), handwriting (any first level of any handwriting program) and some early math (Cuisinaire rods and games from educationunboxed.com are great)

For your 2nd grader, you already have math, so for LA:

Vocab- just read good books and the vocab will be absorbed

Spelling- I would hold off one more year since there is really no harm to it and you are just starting

Grammar- again, I would hold off one year and then you can do any number of programs- KISS (free, worksheet based), MCT (expensive, story-line based), FLL (you don't need to start in level 1, there is built-in review), and 100 other programs that I'm less familiar with

That leaves you just with reading and writing!  I would do Writing with Ease 2 plus a Friday Free Write .  Use the WWE copywork as handwriting practice.

We love the McGuffey Readers for reading practice.  We read 2-3 selections per week, and then do a "fun book" as well. 

As long as you are also doing read-alouds, you child will get exposure to lots of great ideas, vocab, etc. 

You can combine the two oldest for all other subjects.  My K'r drifts in and out of history, but stays with us pretty well for science.  I am using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding for science and love it.  It is NOT open-and-go, but it is very open-ended and leaves lots of room for exploring. 

thanks yall! I'm so nervous! I don't want to fail my kids! Is there any curriculum/program yall recommend for the English/language arts part for my 2nd grader and my K? If I use 100 ez lessons for my K with math is that enough for now? or what else should I teach along with it? How many hours a day does homeschooling these grades take? If it's any help...my 2nd grader loves workbooks and writing and stuff. my K is a boy...wiggly wiggly boy full of energy and hates writing lol. but he loves Legos and stuff. thanks yall!

My K'r spends probably around 40 minutes a day for school- 20 minutes for math (we are doing games to learn number bonds aka addition facts), 10 minutes for reading lesson, and 10 minutes for handwriting.  This is all I require.  She will occasionally sit in on science or history, and will do art with us as well. 

For my 1st grader who is doing a lot of 2nd grade work, we do:

30 minutes math

15 minutes reading + 30 minutes reading to himself during quiet time

10-15 minutes handwriting, followed by 5 minutes grammar (analyze/parse the sentence from copywork)

30 minutes French LA + 20 minutes French reading with Daddy before bed (we are a bilingual family.  I would not be doing quite this much time-wise but we are required to)

1 hour of content subject- either history, science, or art, each done 1x/week

So this is approximately 2.5-3.5 hours of work plus 30 minutes free reading and usually Xtra Math (free online math facts drill, approx 10 minutes).

I want to add a "circle time" this semester which will probably add 30 minutes for both kids, and we'll do memory work, art appreciation, and  Five-in-a-Row book and activity.  I want to find a way to fit in all the little pieces that are otherwise forgotten!

Ok, one last thing.  As you read through what other people use, keep in mind that using (for example) 3 math programs for 2nd grade math is totally unnecessary.  Same with language arts (2+ writing programs, etc).  These are "upper level" homeschool skills, usually from people who have been researching for a long time and like to patch together their own program from various resources.  Don't let it stress you if you see other moms using 5 grammar programs for their 7 year old.  :-)  It's not necessary to be a good homeschooler! 

In my case, I went through 3 math curriculums my first year because my DS1 just wasn't getting it. That was my first year of hsing and he has special needs, so it was difficult to find what worked for him. What works for my oldest doens't work for youngest in math...so we had to use different curriculums for our kids.

With my current 2nd grader, we just use one (Singapore) and supplement heavily for drills and mastery. We are math and science focused in our homeschool though, so obviously that is not a realistic goal for everyone.

I second the recommendations for combining subjects where you can. Science and history are combined in our homeschool. My two oldest (2nd grade and 4th grade) are combined in Language Arts for the time being. Reading aloud is great, audiobooks can be helpful.

Figure out where your 2nd grader is with reading and determine if you will need to do phonics. If you do, scrap spelling, grammar and writing until he is a strong reader. I just started spelling this year with my kids, mostly because my oldest was expressing interest in learning how to spell (how do you spell "astronaut"? how do you spell "generator"? Hey mom, how do you spell "mathematical"?) so I figured it was time to do some spelling with him and his sister.

They do the same level (grade 2) in spelling, but my 7yo only does spelling 2-3 days a week, whereas my 10yo does it daily.

There are variables for every child and every homeschool situation, so there is no one size fits all approach. Cover your bases (Reading, Math, whatever else is a priority to you at this time) and integrate more down the line. :)

A unit study is where you group a bunch of subjects (often humanities subjects) around a theme, like medieval times.  There are lots of ways to do unit studies.

In addition to the Well-Trained Mind, there is one other book that I recommend to new homeschoolers:

Cathy Duffy's 101 Top Picks

This book talks about learning styles, then homeschooling styles, and then, and only then, reviews curriculum through those filters. It can cut down on the overwhelm of looking for curriculum.  I strongly, strongly recommend it.

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling!

Completely agree with the WTM as a super resource.

I don't know why you took your kids out of school, but if things were going badly, they may need a bit of time to deschool and destress. My oldest (who is on the spectrum and despised school) took 3 months to believe it really was over and be ready to work, and 6 months to become our happy little boy again. It took a month or so for our daughter (then 5) to be ready to work. Anyway, a little break may do them some good, and give you a chance to figure out what you need to do. At that age, you do have some time, and because you set the schedule, you can do what's best for you. 

You asked about reading programs for your daughter. Just picking books from the library is a great reading program for middling and advanced readers of that age (that's what we did with my son last year, and for parts of this year) also lots of reading aloud and discussions about books, maybe some narration as discussed in The Well Trained Mind, if you are so inclined.  As another option, BraveWriter The Wand is written for grades 1-2. For an advanced Grade 2, it might be too easy, but for an early reader, it's ideal. It includes a booklist, copybook, dictation, spelling and grammar (simple) for each book, so some free writing, and maybe a writing project or two, and you've got an LA program. The books are great, and not too babyish. Check out the booklist to get the idea of the level. 

I didn't see it mentioned, so I just wanted to say we really liked Primary Arts of Language: Reading and Writing. It covers the phonemes (reading), letter formation, writing sentences, writing paragraphs, and spelling (includes All about Spelling 1).  So all you would need to add to round out your language arts is your daily read aloud.  Everything else is pretty much there for K-1.  I did start using First Language Lessons for my two because I wanted more memory pegs in terms of definitions of grammar terms (this is a classical thing).  Anyway, I didn't do that until we finished PAL.  

The decision to homechool is a huge one--and like you I felt totally overwhelmed at first. It may help if you have friends that homeschool to ask what they use and to look at it. You don't have to do what others do, but I find having something in my hands and seeing what is included in it really helps me place if it is right for us or not. Someone might have mentioned a homeschool conference. They are a great tool but can be terribly overwhelming also. If you go, do it with a friend and/or your dh. Ours (in Cincinnati) has helpful sessions on different types of homeschooling, what to pick based on your child's learning styles, etc.  I found those sessions very helpful.  Also, although the exhibit hall was crazy big, I really appreciated being able to go in with a list of things to look at--it helped me from getting the deer in headlights effect from the endless booths with homeschool curriculum vendors.  =)

Welcome. I just wanted to add that rainbowresource.com is a great place to buy homeschooling stuff.

My suggestions: Do a deschool time and then just finish the year with math, copywork, and reading. 

Read science topics they are interested in or history. Do a family read a loud too. The relationship you create with your kids is amazing. 

That cathy Duffy website is great for narrowing curriculum down. Don't buy curriculum first but books on how to home educate. Like the well trained mind. 

You mentioned your second grader might need something for reading. Is it comprehension or phonics, decoding, that is the weak area? That will narrow down curriculum for you. Getting your 2nd reading independently will help with independence in other subjects to free up your time for your Ker. 

Good luck!

Showing progress depends on the laws in your state. What state do you live in?

During high school, you would want to keep records and produce a transcript for colleges.  Documentation K-8 is usually minimal (unless you live in a portfolio state like PA) and progress is often measured by standardized testing.

Hi there!!  well...first of all, many blessings for you and your family.  Homeschooling is a new journey, and as any new path, it can be intimidating. I love this forum and read a lot, but don't have the time to respond/interact a whole lot.  I do have to say it has been a great source for me, just reading what others are doing and sometimes finding out about programs/curriculum that I had never heard of.  I just had to respond to your post, since I was in the same place as yours maybe a year and a half ago, and there are some days I feel I am in the same place :)  so... my humble input....

1) When it comes to any curriculum/program etc I've found that there is usually a 50/50 chance.  About half of the families love it, and the other half hate it! 

2) It really depends on how your kids are, and no one knows your kids better than you do.

3) Take it easy and take a deep breath, it will all be ok.

4) As some others have mentioned.... if something doesn't work it's not the end of the world, you can resell what you got and try something totally different.

5) I am not one to ask about schedules... still trying to figure that one out.

6) More about me... I am currently homeschooling a 9 yr old (3rd grade), 7 yr old (2nd grade) and almost 6 yr old (K).

I just wanted to share some of my favorites with you.  Again, MY favorites don't have to be your favorites.

We do: Saxon Math, My Father's World (doing Adventures this year), and for language arts to have a total mix.  "How to teach your child to read in 100 lessons" has been great for us, we also do "Wordly Wise" for vocab, All About Spelling (you will see the shortcut for it, AAS, quite a bit around here), my 2nd grader does FLL2 (First Language Lessons), and my 3rd grader does Rod and Staff 3rd grade grammar.  We also do some logic, catequism/religion and other mixed stuff.  I've tried to implement Spanish, but honestly I haven't been able to fit it in the schedule.  (Our kids go once a week to a school for homeschoolers, and we also belong to a homeschooling group... so very often I have to squeeze in a 5 days work in 3....)

With that being said....breathe, try out some things, and trust that everything will be ok.  I just wanted to share which were some of our favorites....

Good luck!

Click on the link to visit the PeaceHill store. I adored using these products. First Language Lessons is so easy to use and gives a solid foundation so does Writing With Ease. I miss Story of the World. It is my favorite curriculum ever. I have been a curriculum director for a private school and have taught for 21 years. Just letting you know I have seen a lot! I do not work for the company or anything like that.

Also read classics aloud. Read The Little Princees, Heidi, Winnie the Pooh....you will be start to think these books were written to reach out to the adult reading them just as much as for the children. It is ok for your wiggly one to quietly color or play with Legos or blocks while you read as long as he is listening.

Enjoy your kids and love learning with them.

I know it can be challenging and scary at first!  Homeschooling has come such a long way!  My recommendations for you is to just sit back you have plenty of time and I wouldn't "RUSH" trying to decide.  I would just begin reading as much as you can and try to decide your goals for your children to accomplish each year and then decide on how best your children learn and go from there.  Don't try to do it all at first you will drive yourself nuts!!!  :)  Many good books out there check with your library for homeschooling books, good luck!

Some good all-in-ones are:

K12 {as an independent. Mom intensive but not a long time each day. easy to do each day.}

http://www.k12.com/

McRuffy {sweet. Easy to do}

http://mcruffy.com/SEAnnouncement.htm

The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading {can be used at the same level by all your kiddos.}

http://www.thephonicsroad.com/phonicsroad/

The Logic of English: Foundations {just start all kids at Foundations A and move along as needed}

http://logicofenglish.com/homeschool

Hewitt Homeschooling Lightning Lit for 1st and 2nd {they are adding a grade a year}

https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mMain.aspx

For Math, we like Christian Light Education. Take care of the basics---Language Arts and Math. Use DVDs, library books, etc. for the rest. Read, ask what is one thing they remember, write it down for them, let them draw a picture. Easy, peasy.