Menu

Started the 5:2 Diet Today

JumpyTheFrog

I counted calories for about half of last year. When I did it, I managed to lose some weight, but then I gained it back. I'm tired of weighing everything. I think the 5:2 diet will be easier to stick with, because then I only have to count calories two days per week.

How is everyone doing on this way of eating? The last updates I saw here were in the fall.

My food so far today:

breakfast - plain yogurt

lunch - bag of stir fry veggies cooked in 1/2 TBLS coconut oil,  2.5 cups of marzipan tea

I started a week or two ago as well.  On off days, I'm still eating less, too.  I'd guess 1000-1200 calories on those days and 500 or so on fast days. I also want to add in strength training.  My weight's been so up and down the last few months, I don't know where to say I started, but if I guessed I'd say I've lost 3-4 pounds since a couple of weeks ago.  It's going to be a tough fight, I think, because I've gone up and down a lot (20-30 pounds) in the last few years. 

I tried it about a year ago after seeing the BBC program.  It was 1000x easier for me to stick to, but I didn't lose any weight.  Granted, I only stuck to it for two weeksĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but I'm big enough that two weeks on any diet should lead to weight loss.  I read that some people need to do the true alternate-day fasting (basically Varady's research)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦but I'm not so sure I could manage that long-term.  I might try to do 3 days per week.

I did find I did best waiting for dinner.  Eating a small breakfast and small lunch seemed to make me hungrier. :)

Do you think that the two low-calorie days are helping to reduce your appetite on the other days?

Yes. Well, that and other things.  I'm just at an age, I think, where I know I don't want to go into old age heavy and if I don't change things in a big way (my whole approach to food), I will. I like the 5:2 approach because in our faith (Orthodox Christianity) we fast two days a week already, but "fast" means not eating certain things (dairy, meat, eggs, oil, alcohol).  So combining eating a limited amount of calories on those two days with the restrictions seems to come pretty naturally. 

I'm supposed to work out 6 day's a week, although I rarely make 4 with the kiddos. I think I might institute this idea on the days I don't work out. Maybe make it a rule to encourage me to work out more often. It's just so simple, I have no excuses... unfortunately.

I've been following this way of eating since 29 April 2013.  In the past 9 months I have lost 40 lbs (25% of my starting weight) & where a size 16 was getting too tight, I now wear a loose size 10.  I have done 4:3 (fasting 3 days a week) as it seems to fit better in my lifestyle.  I never have 2 fast days in a row & seldom have more than 2 "feast" days in a row.  There is a 5:2 FB page that is great support.  

When I began my fasting days looked like this:

***drink lots of water & herbal tea as desired***

2pm---low calorie cup-a-soup

4pm---apple, cut up & dusted with cinnamon

6pm---big dinner salad:  lettuce, carrot, bell pepper, tomato, red onion, a tiny bit of grated cheese + some lean protein (egg, chicken, steak, etc.)

dessert---a cup of fresh fruit (kiwifruit, berries, grapes, mandarin, etc.)

As the weeks went by I found that I wasn't hungry for the fruit, so I dropped that.  Then I found I didn't really need the apple mid-afternoon, so I dropped that.  Then I began drinking hot water with lemon instead of the herbal tea & I found I didn't need the cup-a-soup, so I dropped that.  Now I drink lots & lots of water or hot water w/ lemon all day & have a big dinner salad plate in the evening.  

I don't count on my "feast" days & still enjoy the occasional McD lunch, etc.  I find I am naturally eating less on non-fast days & making better choices.  I no longer crave the carbs & soda that I never thought I could do without.  I do keep my fast days carb/sugar free, but I eat what I want on my non-fast days.  

Don't give up as it does take a few weeks to adjust to this way of eating.  I weigh myself daily & my weight goes up & down, but the overall trend has been downward.  I've averaged a pound a week loss over the 9 months, but some weeks I've stayed the same, others I've lost heaps, & others I've even gained a bit.  5:2 isn't a quick fix, it needs to be seen as a long-term way of eating.  

Now that there's a lot less of me & exercise is more comfortable, I've begun to add in a bit of exercise to firm up what is left of me.  

I was doing it last year, and lost 10 pounds. But winter cameĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..

For whatever reason, when cold weather hits, I want to eat nonstop. I just have no willpower whatsoever.  :cursing:  I do still exercise, though. 

This thread is inspiring me to want to try the fasting again. It works so well, when I can stick to it.

I'm still going with it.  I am working on losing the pound I put on at Christmas.  I loved the Christmas schedule - I still did my fast days twice a week, and it felt like a relief after all the feasting.  I was a bit disgusted with eating so much and really welcomed the lean days.  I've only lost slowly, but I was already a 'normal' weight.

L

Deb posted about this on my workout thread and it has me intrigued.

I think the hang up for anyone can be to binge on "normal" days.  I would love to try it and stick with AI Paleo diet but allow myself a few more carbs on my normal days.  It could work beautifully really.

How about working out?  Would ya'll say that working out should not happen on the low cal days?

Should we start a private group?  It could be good accountability?  :D

Deb posted about this on my workout thread and it has me intrigued.

I think the hang up for anyone can be to binge on "normal" days.  I would love to try it and stick with AI Paleo diet but allow myself a few more carbs on my normal days.  It could work beautifully really.

I don't binge on non-fast days, but as the next is usually a fast day, I don't snack in the evening either.  Not snacking & not drinking my calories has helped to cut out the excess intake naturally.  I used to drink 3-4 cans of Coke daily.  When I began 5:2 I limited my Coke to non-fast days.  After a few fasts I was shocked at how sweet Coke tasted & I couldn't drink more than a half a can.  It just tasted YUCK.  Same with carbs, more than a bit just makes me feel bloated & uncomfortable.  I do eat carbs, but just not as much.  

The beauty of a fasting diet is that you can choose the foods that work best for you.  Just make sure that on your fast days that you don't exceed 500 calories.  Also, the longer your fast (i.e. not eating until dinner, instead of having 3 tiny meals)  seems to be easier for most people & much more effective if fasting for health benefits. 

How about working out?  Would ya'll say that working out should not happen on the low cal days?

Charleigh,  I exercise when it fits my schedule, not when it fits fast/feast days.  Exercise for me at this time is a long walk.  Ideally I'd like to add in some strength training &/or swimming on a regular basis, but I need to find time & $$$ for that to work.  

For those who are worried about abdominal fat, fasting seems to deal with this naturally.  Since beginning this fasting diet, I have lost more inches off my waist, hips, & thighs than ever before, with any diet &/or exercise.  My blood sugar is more stable & many of my minor, annoying digestive issues have all but disappeared.  I have more stamina, even with no added exercise.  IF you are interested in the science of this way of eating, read "The Fast Diet" by Michael Mosley.  Here's a link to an ABC show with Dr. Mosley 

Should we start a private group?  It could be good accountability?  :D

Good idea.  There is also a great 5:2 FB page  https://www.facebook.com/groups/the52diet/  that is great support.

JMHO

I made it through my first low-cal day, more or less. I was at about 600-650 calories but was so starving at bedtime that I had some cheese. I have insomnia problems and everything messes up my sleep, so I decided to go ahead and eat enough that i wouldn't be awake all night. I was down 1 lb this morning. I may have eaten more than normal, but not 175% of normal and I felt stuffed.

While walking on the treadmill today, I watched Mosely's "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer." (I ordered his book from the library.) The 101 year-old man who finished the marathon was inspiring.

I read a bit about the calorie restriction people a few years ago, before I came across Mark Sisson and other paleo people pushing intermittent fasting. From what I remember, the CR people are cold all the time. IF of any variety sounds more pleasant.

I need to plan ahead better for my next low-cal day. I drank homemade broth yesterday but should've had extra salt. I felt sluggish today until I had some salted water.

Oh, I got 14,000 steps yesterday. For now, I will just walk on low-cal days and try to do more intense exercise on other days. We got a treadmill last week and my rule is that I can only play Plants Vs. Zombies on the iPad as long as I'm walking. I can walk at speeds of up to 2.4 mph and still play.

DH made a wooden desk that clips on the handrails so he can walk while he works. He can type if he goes 1 mph. It sounds slow, but he did it for about 2.5 hours the other day. Compared to sitting all day, it's a big improvement for him. He overdid it, though, and his feet hurt, so he's going to cut back and work his way up to longer distances.

Some common side effects of a fasting diet is feeling cold on fast days, headaches for the first few fasts (may be as you detox from caffine/sugar or dehydration or lack of salt).  Eating protein, rather than fruit or carbs, seems to help you feel full longer.  

Losing weight & having your clothes become way to big too wear is a common side effect for some as well  ;)

From what I remember, the CR people are cold all the time.....

Some common side effects of a fasting diet is feeling cold on fast days ...

I just read in the news the other day that being a bit cold is better for metabolism than being a bit warm.  :D

I've been doing a slightly modified version of this for a few months. It's going well for me. I've barely lost any weight, but my weight never yo-yo's any more, which is a major improvement. I've gone down a size in my jeans. And best of all, I can actually stick to it, which has never been possible with me and diets before.

I've been doing a slightly modified version of this for a few months. It's going well for me. I've barely lost any weight, but my weight never yo-yo's any more, which is a major improvement. I've gone down a size in my jeans. And best of all, I can actually stick to it, which has never been possible with me and diets before.

Being able to stick with it long-term was key to my success.  January 2013 I decided that I needed to do something about my weight, etc.  I decided to eat healthy, cut out Coke, & exercise 3+ times a week.  I stuck with it until life became crazy mid-February.  During that time I lost 6 pounds (I'm sure of this as I weighed daily & graphed the results) & always felt deprived as I didn't ever eat the foods I craved.  I was very committed to this diet & didn't cheat, but just couldn't stick with it long-term.

Fast forward to 29 April 2013.  I had regained double the weight loss in January.  I was disgusted with how I looked in dd's 21st pictures & knew something needed to change.  I had read somewhere about the 5:2 diet & figured it was worth a try.  Week 1 I lost 6.5 lbs & didn't feel deprived at all.  I had decided I'd take it one fast at a time & see how it went.  By week 12 I'd lost 20 lbs & moved from obese to simply overweight.  My weight loss has slowed down, but over the past 9 months it is a pound a week loss on average.  Some people lose more weight, but less inches, others lose inches, but the weight loss is slow.  Rate of success seems to be affected by how much you have to lose, your age/health, & whether you are currently on a diet.  5:2 won't work for everyone, but if nothing else has worked, it may be worth a try.

JMHO

I did something with cabbage, frozen veggies and bouillon that was actually very good, back when I was doing it. Just thought of it when you mentioned the cabbage thing. 

I do think I do better the longer I can wait to eat the first time though. Seems like once I eat something, my stomach puts up a big sign saying "OPEN FOR BUSINESS," and then I just want to keep eating and eating and eatingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦...

Maybe coffee for breakfast, soup for lunch, and then a low calorie dinner?  Just rambling thoughts.

That's roughly what I usually do:

Tea through the day

Home-made mushroom soup and a whole-grain cracker for lunch

Fish/chicken breast plus lots of steamed veg for supper.

I'm definitely more of an evening eater, so I need to save up for that time.

L

I've been intrigued with the 5:2 diet for a while; but, the one thing that has kept me from starting it is wondering if the fast days must be on the same days, i.e, every Tuesday & Thursday (or whatever). My work schedule is 24 hrs on/(usually) 48 hours off; so, I would invariably end up fasting on some of my shift days. I work at a very busy station and am constantly lifting patients and my kits and am generally very physical. It would be very hard for me to fast and still be able to be as physical as my job demands. So, my question is would the 5:2 diet still work if my fast days rotate to when I'm not on duty?

I think it would be helpful if people could list some examples of what they eat on the fasting days.

For me, it is usually coffee and a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and a green salad with low calorie dressing for lunch. Dinner is homemade soup (I have a chicken fajita soup recipe that is 200 calories/bowl and is my treat if the rest of the day stayed very low), marinated chicken breast, or fish; I just have to be careful about portion size.

My blood sugar does not do well with skipping meals/breakfast so I still eat three meals a day. But I don't usually do much snacking until after dinner most days. On fasting days, if I want to snack after dinner, I just go to bed :)

I've been intrigued with the 5:2 diet for a while; but, the one thing that has kept me from starting it is wondering if the fast days must be on the same days, i.e, every Tuesday & Thursday (or whatever). My work schedule is 24 hrs on/(usually) 48 hours off; so, I would invariably end up fasting on some of my shift days. I work at a very busy station and am constantly lifting patients and my kits and am generally very physical. It would be very hard for me to fast and still be able to be as physical as my job demands. So, my question is would the 5:2 diet still work if my fast days rotate to when I'm not on duty?

Yes, that should work just fine. It really doesn't matter what two days you fast, just so you do it, according to everything I have watched and read on it.

So long as it's two days out of seven, I can't see it making a difference.  I have moved days occasionally in the past.  I wouldn't do two consecutive days, however.

L

Yesterday (a fast day), I ate a piece of whole-wheat bread in the morning, a small salad with dressing and almonds for lunch, half a banana, one square of a chocolate bar*, and I finished my daughter's falafel pita (2 bites).  I don't plan ahead, really, just eat far less and try and keep a running calorie count in my head to stay at 500 or so.  

I'm down 5 lbs. since the first of January  

* Last time I was the grocery store, they had a few dozen or more large organic sea salt and almond dark chocolate bars on sale. I bought a bunch (20+) and broke them all up into one-square pieces.  They filled a gallon Ziploc bag.  There are 370 squares in there, I think.  I'm going to have one a day and let that be my sweets for awhile.  I have a big issue with sugar. 

From what I understand, it just needs to be 2 out of 7 days and they should not be consecutive.  It might even help to fluctuate the days.  I know the body can adjust to anything that is routine.  Just a thought?

I have read up on this WOE before as well and I wonder the same thing.  I kinda get the impression from one of the forums I read on that as long as you plan, it's OK to alternate fast days.  It talked about like if you know an event or something is coming up on one of your normal fast days, just change your fast day.  I don't know what would be advisable on a regular basis though.

~coffee~

Should I read the book? It seems fairly self-explanatory. Eat 500 calories 2 days a week, try to keep those calories to lean proteins and veggies. Feast on the other 5, but don't gorge/binge on those days. Is there anything else that would be important to know?

I do not plan to buy the book.  I am sure it just explains the science behind it.  I really don't care about the science behind it, as long as it works  :001_rolleyes:

When I first fasted, I would do a soft boiled egg with a few Kashi crackers for breakfast or a cup of hot chocolate made with low fat milk, 1/2 can of a low cal soup for lunch, and then some sort of low-cal frozen dinner for dinner.  This seemed to make me steadily hungry.   I found that I was much happier saving my 500 calories for dinnerĂ¢â‚¬Â¦either eating whatever I fixed for the family, or something else like a big bowl of bean soup and maybe some fruit or something.  I drink lots of lemon water during the day.

Should I read the book? It seems fairly self-explanatory. Eat 500 calories 2 days a week, try to keep those calories to lean proteins and veggies. Feast on the other 5, but don't gorge/binge on those days. Is there anything else that would be important to know?

I haven't read the book.  It's important to drink enough on fast days because you will have reduced water intake due to reduced food.

L

I do 4:3, meaning I fast (<500cal) 3 days a week & eat normally 4 days a week.  Usually I fast MWF, leaving my weekends free.  If I have a commitment on one of those days that would make fasting inconvient, I swap my fasting days (maybe T/TH/Sat or what ever works best) but I never fast 2 days in a row & usually never "feast" for more than 2 days in a row.  

Wednesday was a fasting day.  I drank lots of water or hot water w/lemon all day.  At 5:30pm I ate my big dinner salad (lettuce, grated carrot, yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion, grated cheese, a hard-boiled egg, & a small steak cut-up & tossed in carmalized onion dressing.)  It was YUM & very filling.  

Yesterday I had a busy start to my day & did not eat until noon.  I had a Double Cheeseburger medium combo from McDs as I was out & about.  That added up to 914 calories, but it is less than half of the 2000 calories The Fast Diet recommends for "Feast" days.  As it was a crazy day all around, dinner was Dominos pizza. Four pieces of pepperoni = 732 calories + a Coke (153 cal) while watching ds#2's hockey game = 885 calories for dinner.  That gives me a total of 1799 calories for the day.  Not every "feast" day looks like this.  I usually eat at home & eat a healthy range of foods, but this shows that you can eat junk & still stay within your 2000 calorie limit.  

The key to weight loss success with a fasting diet is the difference between fasting & "feasting" days.  Many find that if they eat too little on "feast" days they don't lose.  it's better IMHO to add an extra day of fasting (doing 4:3 instead of 5:2) than to eat low cal on your non-fast days.

After yesterday's diet of fast food & junk, you'd think I would have regained what I lost fasting Wednesday + a lot more, but surprisingly my weight is exactly the same as yesterday morning.  I'm looking forward to another big dinner salad plate tonight, but this time with chicken tossed in caesar dressing.  Often I find I eat better & enjoy my food more on my fast days as I plan what I'm going to have rather than just grab what is handy.    

HTH,

I've been reading this discussion and this is the first I've ever heard about this new diet.  I have to ask, is it really safe to fast if you're on any medication?  Doesn't medication need food to digest properly?  Even vitamins or supplements?  I worry about that as well as the thought that you might be triggering your body to think it's starving, therefore reversing any weight loss eventually.  Isn't that what happened with the Atkins diet?  They've been saying for decades that that's the problem with dieting.  you may have initial weight loss, but if your body decides it's starving, it will start storing whatever you eat as fat.  What does the book say about all this?

No judgement.  Just curiosity. :)  

I've been reading this discussion and this is the first I've ever heard about this new diet.  I have to ask, is it really safe to fast if you're on any medication?  Doesn't medication need food to digest properly?  Even vitamins or supplements?  I worry about that as well as the thought that you might be triggering your body to think it's starving, therefore reversing any weight loss eventually.  Isn't that what happened with the Atkins diet?  They've been saying for decades that that's the problem with dieting.  you may have initial weight loss, but if your body decides it's starving, it will start storing whatever you eat as fat.  What does the book say about all this?

No judgement.  Just curiosity. :)

Read "The Fast Diet"  by Dr. Michael Mosley &/or "The 5:2 Diet Book"  by Kate Harrison.  Both these books go into the science behind this way of eating.  It takes 72 hours with NO food at all to trigger the starvation mode.  Both Dr. Mosely & Kate Harrison recommend eating up to 500 calories on your fast days.  The fasting diet isn't really a true, no food fast; but instead it's really a low, low calorie day.  

Because you aren't eating a very restrictive diet every day, your body doesn't need to store your fat.  That is why it is very important to eat about 2000 calories on your "feast" days.  It's the difference between your fast & "feast" days that is key to the success of this way of eating.

As far as needing food to take vitamins, etc.  I take my vitamin with dinner on my fast days.  If you need food for meds you could take the meds with milk & count those calories in your 500cal.  

HTH,

I think this would work but depends on how much you are eating to start with.  I did some calculations.  I eat 1800 kcal/day so 12,600 a week.  If I did 2000 a day and then 500 for 2 days I'd get 11,800 week.  An 800 calorie deficit a week would take me a month to lose a pound.  Obviously if you are eating more you'd lose faster.  It's like everything else, what works for one may not work for another.  It does seem like a way to reduce calories without impacting daily life too much.  It also seems quite safe as long as you are making healthy choices on the low calorie day.  A couple eggs for breakfast, low calorie veg soup for lunch and lean meat and giant salad is all good and easily can be done for 500 calories.  I would think it's only a problem to do this if you are insulin dependent or on a very specialized diet for a health problem.