Menu

Can anyone please give some favorite dinner recipes that DON"T use onion or garlic?

HappyGrace

Seems everything I cook has that in it, and we need to avoid them for awhile. Thanks!

An example of what I mean is one I found is an apricot chicken stir fry that has ckn and broccoli slaw stir fried with a sauce of apricot preserves, soy sauce, ginger, and cayenne pepper over rice. It doesn't have any onion or garlic in it, OR in any of the ingredients (like a condensed soup used in a recipe would have onion in it, so that wouldn't work.)

Need lots more though-any suggestions?

I substitute about the same amount of celery for onion, in recipes, and in some dishes I add powdered mustard to replace the flavor of the garlic.  (Dh gets physically ill from onions, and I have trouble breathing with garlic - tho i still use it often).  

But there's always the simple things like roast chicken and potatoes .. . burgers or tacos (I think there are a few onion-free salsas?) . . . idk

You could make your own salsa. Just use a big variety of peppers (maybe roast some of them for added depth of flavor) and skip the garlic and onion.

I make salsa by putting this stuff in my food processor and pulsing it a little:

Fire roasted tomatoes (canned, I like the Glen Muir brand)

Fresh:

Red onion

Garlic

Various peppers (sometimes I roast some)

Lime juice

sometimes I add fresh or roasted tomatillos, but not usually

Salt and pepper

Breakfast for dinner (French toast, pancakes, omelettes)

Homemade pizza (homemade sauce--leave out garlic)

Any whole cut of meat (steak, pork tenderloin, roast chicken, etc)

Chicken tenders--bread with Panko

Pasta alfredo or carbonara

I don't think it will be that hard to eliminate these things. I don't think I've used onion or garlic yet this week. I have used garlic salt--not sure how far you need to go in the elimination.

I poked through a lot of our recipes and almost all of them call for onions or garlic. Sure, it's easy to leave them out, but it's not the same as using recipes that were developed without those flavors.

Here's a vegetable curry I love that has no onions or garlic, but lots and lots of flavor

http://greaterdc.wholefoodsmarketcooking.com/recipes/11870_hasna_begums_mixed_vegetable_curry

If I were in the same position, I'd look at cuisines where onions and garlic traditionally aren't used like Sherry in OH mentioned. You'll find plenty from India and Japanese food is a good option too.

Yeah, I'd just leave them out.  Sure, the taste will be different but you might find you like it just as well or even better.

My daughter despised chicken salad until she tried some at a church lunch.  She said it was delicious, so I asked for the recipe.  Well, it was my recipe, minus the onion.  Yea! Something new my daughter will eat.

Celery is in a lot of things too, and my husband despises it, so I never cook with it any more.  <shrug>  I don't miss it.

Sautéed red cabbage w/red pepper flakes

served w/ roasted chicken thighs - slather in the fat of your choice (butter, coconut oil, etc.) spinkled with paprika

and some bread or a salad on the side

That's what I'm making for dinner and I was just whining that it's onion and garlic-free. LOL It has to be because my neighbor doesn't do onions or garlic either, and she's our guest tonight. :) And well worth the omissions!

Sour cream chicken

Equal parts sour cream and cream of mushroom soup with a drained can of mushrooms mixed together poured over chicken boobies in a pyrex. 350 for 45-60, depending on the thickness of chicken.

Serve with rice or mashatatoes, using the soupy combo as a gravy.

After that you just need veggies.