Menu

S/O What about hosiery?

CAMom

This. I will wear pantyhose with a dress if it shows enough of my legs, but only because it camouflages some imperfections (mainly spider veins :glare: ) that bother me. Otherwise, no socks, no tights, no stockings. 

Okay, ILIFF, your username combined with this post has me :willy_nilly: at the thought of hose and flip flops :smilielol5:

Okay, ILIFF, your username combined with this post has me :willy_nilly: at the thought of hose and flip flops :smilielol5:

:lol: My user name never crossed my mind :lol: I can assure you I forgo my flip flops on the exceedingly rare occasions when I have to wear pantyhose. I really try to minimize those kinds of things though!

Up until last year, I hadn't seen anyone under the age of about 50 wearing sheer hose in years. But recently I have seen it on young women more and more. BIL is getting married later this year and I might wear a pair to that event (ugh but if it's back in style, I don't want to be the "frumpy" one)

Here in coastal NC, we have a moderate winter. I grew up in the Far North were boots were a mandatory part of life.  Frankly I have no desire to wear boots (other than hiking boots) ever again.  So on chilly days, I wear tights with my skirts or dresses.

Personally I find it peculiar to see boots on 50 or 60 degree days but that seems to be the preference over hose or tights.  Shrug...

P.S. My son's girlfriend is visiting from London. She owns an amazing collection of tights (London skyline tights, Union Jack) and vivid leggings that she pairs with her cute little dresses.

I stopped wearing hose about 4 years ago when my daughter informed me that nobody wears pantyhose now. I don't like the way my feet feel in shoes without them, and I don't really feel as "put together" without them. When I go outside wearing sneakers instead of sandals, I get a tan to my ankles. And then when I wear dress shoes it looks stupid. Wearing hose helps to blend the light skin with the darker skin. (I am NOT going to put make-up on my feet!) And ladies, I hate to tell you this, but as you get older your legs just don't look as nice. I just commented to DH a couple weeks ago that I think I should start wearing hose again. I think the duchess looks classy with her sheer hose.

P.S. My son's girlfriend is visiting from London. She owns an amazing collection of tights (London skyline tights, Union Jack) and vivid leggings that she pairs with her cute little dresses.

I think the duchess looks classy with her sheer hose.

I suspect that both of these things indicates that hose/tights will be uber-trendy again here fairly soon.

I wore pantyhose with peep-toe shoes to a semi-formal wedding last year.  I was the ONLY person at the wedding wearing them, including the mother of the bride who was wearing an above-the-knee dress, and would have benefitted from them!  I should have known better - I'm in SoCal.

I wore pantyhose with peep-toe shoes to a semi-formal wedding last year.  I was the ONLY person at the wedding wearing them, including the mother of the bride who was wearing an above-the-knee dress, and would have benefitted from them!  I should have known better - I'm in SoCal.

I often think that we all need to exercise common sense before considering the current fashion trends. When you don't look good in current trends, revert to something classic or whatever style fits better. I have hated hose since the day my mother handed me a pair but I would not abandon something merely because someone declared it out of style if I look/feel better wearing it.

I love pantyhose.  They keep my tummy in and they make it so my shoes don't hurt.  How do y'all wear shoes with bare feet?  I get sores on the back of my heel where they rub.  And sweat!  Oh my!  My feet sweat.  Without some sort of fabric to soak up the sweat my shoes get wet and slippery on the inside.

I wish pantyhose was back in fashion.  I wear it from time to time and feel so out of fashion when I do and I normally like to be fashionable.  I am very happy in the winter because I can wear my tights without feeling like a fuddy duddy.  

Also, I think hose that matches your skin tone makes your legs look smooth and better.  

I was completely dismayed when hose went out of style.  I haven't gotten over it yet and it's probably been almost 20 years.

For non-pantyhose issues:  I wear socks with everything else except sandals.  And I only buy sandals that have a fuzzy leather bottom.  If the bottom is smooth leather I will slip in the sweat and twist an ankle.  No joke.  I have to spray the sandals with anti-stink stuff or they get too gross to wear by 3 weeks into summer.

I stopped wearing hose a long time ago and also I don't wear wear heels anymore.  In the winter I wear uggs with my jeans or leggings and tights and flats with dresses.  In summer I wear  sandals with everything.  Spring and fall, I , currently, have a pair of shoes that have rubber sole bottoms and a strap across  and large cut-outs in a suede like material. I wear short socks with colorful patterns and designs with these shoes that show thru the cutouts and above the shoes,  that is sort of my style.

I hate pantyhose. They scream "matronly and fuddy-duddy" to me. I haven't worn a pair in probably twenty years. I like tights and textured hose. It's the old-fashioned flesh colored ones I can't stand. The kind that used to come in that plastic egg. ;)

Oh my, flashback happening right now :D

How can socks be "out"? All our feet would be black and falling off in the upper midwest without the smart wools right now?! :D My feet are crying just thinking about it. I rarely wear socks in the summer except with running shoes.

I haven't worn sheer hose for years and years. But given I live in the upper midwest, black cotton tights or leggings and long black boots come out now and again when I'm attempting to dress up in the winter (which I try to avoid!).

I hate pantyhose.  They scream "matronly and fuddy-duddy" to me.  I haven't worn a pair in probably twenty years.  I like tights and textured hose.  It's the old-fashioned flesh colored ones I can't stand.  The kind that used to come in that plastic egg. ;)

I used to love it when my mom bought new pantyhose when I was a kid, because I loved playing with those eggs!

With apologies to those who wear hose, around here it is rare indeed to see a woman younger than 50 wearing hose.  And I can't think of anyone I know 10 years either side of my age (so getting onto mid 20s to mid 40s) who I ever see wearing hose.  Tights are more common (and warmer I might add) but it has been culturally normative around here to show up to formal events without hose for more than a decade now.  I wear no show footies for comfort when wearing dress shoes.  Back when I still liked heels (no more! ever!) I even had some that were made for heels.  Now the dressiest cis woman shoes I have are ballet type flats.