Menu

Gift card vent.....update

Excelsior! Academy

A few years ago someone gifted us with an Incredible Pizza Gift card that had $250.  We were told it never expired.  Our local IP changed hands and become another company that was still owned by IP.  We used 1/2 of the gift card after it changed.  The business changed hands again.  Now our card can't be used.  It didn't expire, but it doesn't work at the new company.   Incredible Pizzas don't honor cards from other IP.  Even though it wasn't our $ initially I am bummed we can't use the $100+ that was on the card.  It looks like I am SOL.  I was offered a $5 gift card in exchange. Ugh.

Update:  Heard back from corporate.  They said this particular Incredible Pizza was a franchise and not connected with corporate.  They have no way to look up the value of the card.  They are sorry and hope I can get it resolved. 

I am going to let the BBB know and send a letter to the corporate office. It is ridiculous that they won't honor the gift card.  I don't have Twitter or  Facebook but I do have you all.  :)  I am not happy with the service I have received from Incredible Pizza and am of the opinion they should honor their gift cards, as should any reputable business. Please, think twice before purchasing a gift card to Incredible Pizza!

Another thing you can do is file a complaint against the business with the consumer division of your state's attorney general's office. They will look into it and try to resole it. File with the BBB concurrently. Either place will get it resolved.

I can sort of see two sides to this.

One, this is a problem with corporate. Their franchises should be able to accept gift cards. I can buy a McD's gift card anywhere in the US, mail it to someone anywhere else in the US, and that person can use the gift card at any McD's, franchise or not. I know there are a few exceptions (like when you have a Starbucks inside of a Target), but IPs are stand alone stores. It shouldn't be an issue.

Two though, I do think it's fair for companies to put some kind of time limit on the gift cards. Saving a gift card for a few years seems a little unreasonable, lots of companies change computer systems and stuff over that sort of time frame. I don't know that indefinitely honoring gift cards is the norm.

Personally, I think the corporate office should be accountable for honoring things like gift cards. As a consumer, I would have no idea if I was buying a gift card to Panera or if it was really just to "Bob Smith's Panera franchise." So if I bought a gift card for Incredible Pizza, I would assume it would be good at any Incredible Pizza location.

So are you saying that the gift card can't be used at any Incredible Pizza shop, but was only valid at that one particular location?

That seems very shifty to me.

Actually, several states have laws that gift cards cannot have money deducted or expire because it has cash value. It's considered the same as a gift certificate. You can have a problem if the company goes out of business, however. So hurry up and use them. 

Personally, I think the corporate office should be accountable for honoring things like gift cards. As a consumer, I would have no idea if I was buying a gift card to Panera or if it was really just to "Bob Smith's Panera franchise." So if I bought a gift card for Incredible Pizza, I would assume it would be good at any Incredible Pizza location.

So are you saying that the gift card can't be used at any Incredible Pizza shop, but was only valid at that one particular location?

That seems very shifty to me.

It does seem shifty, but the franchiser in question is the one that is now out of business. I do think the company needs to figure it out so that gift cards are the same at every IP, and they are on the same system. But...I can also see why that is tricky. Have you been to an IP?

Even if you are told by the purchaser and company that there is no expy?

Honestly, we have some IP cards that probably still have some money on them from a big family gathering a few years ago. I wouldn't expect to be able to take them back into a different IP a few years later and have them still work.

Actually, several states have laws that gift cards cannot have money deducted or expire because it has cash value. It's considered the same as a gift certificate. You can have a problem if the company goes out of business, however. So hurry up and use them.

Most states give a time limit. I know it's two years here in Hawaii. Federal law says that gift cards can't expire for 5 years and says that companies can start charging an inactivity fee after a year, if the card hasn't been used in that time. In this case the parent company's position seems to be that the franchisee *did* go out of business, so the card is no good.

I can see both sides of this one.

It does seem shifty, but the franchiser in question is the one that is now out of business. I do think the company needs to figure it out so that gift cards are the same at every IP, and they are on the same system. But...I can also see why that is tricky. Have you been to an IP?

Honestly, we have some IP cards that probably still have some money on them that from a big family gathering a few years ago. I wouldn't expect to be able to take them back into a different IP a few years later and have them still work.

I have never been to an IP, but I was thinking it might be along the lines of a Pizza Hut or something, where most of the restaurants look quite similar and have the same menus.

I have never been to an IP, but I was thinking it might be along the lines of a Pizza Hut or something, where most of the restaurants look quite similar and have the same menus.

No, they have video games, go-carts, miniature golf, miniature bowling, stuff like that (different locations are different). You use swipe cards instead of coins or tokens to pay to play the games. It isn't just a restaurant, which is what makes it sort of tricky to me.

Isn't there an number to call for the balance? I think it would be very easy for them to call the number, verify the amount, and for good PR give you a new gift card in that amount. The only glitch I could see is if the previous owner posted a sign stating gift cards needed to be used by such and such date and would not be honored past the point of sale of the store. 

Seems like a no brainer from a business perspective, especially a new franchise owner. Make customer happy, customer comes back and spends more money. Make customer mad, they tell the WTM community, which is similar to letting the world know.  :tongue_smilie:

So it sounds like a Dave & Busters (does anyone know what that is.) They have the cards you load with money and use to play games.  I would certainly expect corporate to honor whatever money was left on the card if that particular one went out of business. Corporate would be getting a phone call from me daily until I got my money if it were a significant amount

For 5 and 1/2 years my dh worked in the gift and loyalty industry and I can tell you right now, for sure that it is BS that they can't look up what was on the card there are laws about such things. They are 100% lying to you at this point. My dh was very involved in the tech aspect of gift cards. I almost certainly know that Level Up is behind this scam some how, this smells of them.

For 5 and 1/2 years my dh worked in the gift and loyalty industry and I can tell you right now, for sure that it is BS that they can't look up what was on the card there are laws about such things. They are 100% lying to you at this point. My dh was very involved in the tech aspect of gift cards. I almost certainly know that Level Up is behind this scam some how, this smells of them.

Is it possible that a local franchisee was on a different (in house?) system than the regular corporate system?

Does the card say anything on it about only being used at certain stores?

From the FAQs on the Memphis location's website:

Can I use this Game Card at another location?
Unfortunately Game Cards will not transfer between stores.  Game Cards must be used in the store they were purchased.

It sounds like technically it's another store now even though it's in the same location as the original one. 

No, they have video games, go-carts, miniature golf, miniature bowling, stuff like that (different locations are different). You use swipe cards instead of coins or tokens to pay to play the games. It isn't just a restaurant, which is what makes it sort of tricky to me.

Thanks -- that wasn't what I was picturing at all, so I'm glad you described it to me. :)

Is it possible that a local franchisee was on a different (in house?) system than the regular corporate system?

Does the card say anything on it about only being used at certain stores?

This is an industry that is so small it is completely incestuous at every level. I know this for a sad fact. As much as I would like to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, I am certain that Level Up, a company known for shady behavior, was the gift and loyalty company for the new owner and they would not do the work they should have, so the consumer is hosed. That is how Level Up works.It is not legal though, and it the OP does some leg work, and I will ask dh what that should be when he comes home, he is not here now. 

Isn't there an number to call for the balance? I think it would be very easy for them to call the number, verify the amount, and for good PR give you a new gift card in that amount. The only glitch I could see is if the previous owner posted a sign stating gift cards needed to be used by such and such date and would not be honored past the point of sale of the store. 

Seems like a no brainer from a business perspective, especially a new franchise owner. Make customer happy, customer comes back and spends more money. Make customer mad, they tell the WTM community, which is similar to letting the world know.  :tongue_smilie:

There is a location name on the front of the card.  No phone number.  Just a long card number between two barcodes on the back. 

According to DH the amount of hoops you would have to go through to get your money back would be egregious.Sorry, he doesn't think there is a way to get your money without a lawsuit, and $100 is just not worth it. 

Thank you for checking.  After thinking about it a bit I don't think I will log a complaint.  They didn't give poor service and every person I have talked to has been polite.  Rumor has it the same manager that was at the original business has stayed at the location and is still the main manager.  I may try talking to him and if that doesn't work, drop it. 

Was it $250 real value or promotional value? I know the Germantown store did a Facebook promotion recently where y could buy a $100 gift card for $50. The fine print stated that it was $50 actual value and $50 promotional value, and only the $50 real value would be refunded. If the $250 gift card only cost $100 of real value, it's possible that the real value could be used anywhere, but the promotional value could be used only at the original store-and when the store "closed", that value couldn't be used.

In addition, if this is in Memphis, there were two stores here for awhile, but only one participated in the national website promotions, so that may be part of the problem if your friend bought the card at the Hickory Ridge location but you're trying to use it at Germantown.

I do have to say that I'm surprised an IPC gift card lasted over a year-my daughter would probably have been pushing to spend it in the first month! She loves that place, but it costs too much to go very often.

Was it $250 real value or promotional value? I know the Germantown store did a Facebook promotion recently where y could buy a $100 gift card for $50. The fine print stated that it was $50 actual value and $50 promotional value, and only the $50 real value would be refunded. If the $250 gift card only cost $100 of real value, it's possible that the real value could be used anywhere, but the promotional value could be used only at the original store-and when the store "closed", that value couldn't be used.

In addition, if this is in Memphis, there were two stores here for awhile, but only one participated in the national website promotions, so that may be part of the problem if your friend bought the card at the Hickory Ridge location but you're trying to use it at Germantown.

I do have to say that I'm surprised an IPC gift card lasted over a year-my daughter would probably have been pushing to spend it in the first month! She loves that place, but it costs too much to go very often.

I am pretty sure it was real value.  I didn't purchase it, but the family who did likely put the entire amount on it.

I agree about it lasting a while.  We have had, ahem, several family issues in the last few years.  That is the only reason it had not been used before now.  Life just has a way of getting in the way at times.

While we're on the subject, I'll give another warning about gift cards. 

My sister had one from work, a contest or something, and the balance was zero. When they called to check on it, the customer service lady said that thieves will go into a store that has gift cards on display, and record a bunch of the account numbers. Then, they just periodically check, and use it as soon as there is a balance. 

In that case, they refunded the money, b/c they had all the receipts still, and were able to discover that the person who used it was in a different location (so they believed that my sis hadn't used it). 

Just a few months later, my kids got itunes gift cards for their birthday. Same thing, no balance. I had checked right away, so I went ahead and asked the giver if they still had the receipt, but they did not. itunes said there was nothing they could do without the receipt. While I do understand that, it makes me very reluctant to buy gift cards, particularly from a store display. If you buy them from Amazon, at least there is automatic proof that you did so, and then some proof of who used it and where the order was shipped. 

The lady my sister spoke with said that if you do buy gift cards from a store display, select ones from much further back. If you receive such a gift card, check the balance right away, and use it as soon as you can.