Menu

Ok, I am not strong enough to resist...

creekland

It could be fun making this a whole thread - not just about me... but I'll start.

I am not strong enough to resist:

Having pork & sauerkraut for breakfast New Year's Day when I wake up hours before everyone else and it's been cooking overnight in our crockpot leaving a tantalizing odor for me...

I did NOT grow up with pork & sauerkraut - I never even had sauerkraut until my adult years - but it's a traditional meal in our area of PA (we're transplants), so we adopted the tradition.  I think I've modified it a tad because we add green/yellow beans from our garden into it - and sometimes potatoes (also from garden, but my uncle's this time).  This year we're doing mashed potatoes on the side later instead of putting them into it though.

Nonetheless, it's made a tasty breakfast.

I can resist almost anything if I want to... but not this one.

Anyone else willing to confess?

Sorry...can not stand the stuff. My mom made it every year. Down south it is black eye peas and collard greens. I do not do that do either. We have leftovers from the party last night. Happy New Year!

Hubby (southern boy) has black eyed peas cooking as I type (and then some).  I'll politely eat a few, but there was no resistance issue regarding those this morning!

Of my three boys, two love pork & sauerkraut and one has informed me he won't be keeping the tradition.  ;)

Only one cares for the black eyed peas.

Both are definitely "have it or not" taste bud deals I think.

Well, my son's pumpkin pie is calling me, but I think I can resist.  There isn't much left and I would feel bad if I had the last bite all alone without sharing.  

We were going to make a big meal for DH's family last night but all the plans fell through so we ended up with pizza and donuts at home and there are plenty of leftovers.  Not having any trouble resisting those...  

But today we will be doing the black-eyed pea thing with the New Years Day extended family meal for my side of the family.  Not really looking forward to the taste, but definitely looking forward to the tradition and the memories.  My brother and I, every year, would try to find ways to reduce our required intake to the bare minimum and make what we did have to eat palatable, while our parents would just pile the stuff on.  My dad is gone now, but Mom, my brother and I always remember those days and laugh. 

And I didn't grow up with pork and sauerkraut, and as a kid I wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole, but now that I am an adult, I must admit it sounds really good right now.  Can I share a bite before i eat my protein oatmeal?  :)

I have to pass on the black-eyed peas.  I made a huge pot of collard greens on Monday, we ate a lot and still have plenty left for today.  If I wanted to phrase that the traditional local way, I'd say I made a "mess" (large amount) of collard greens.  I'm not sure if that term is used much outside of NC?

This is the first I've heard of eating pork and sauerkraut on NY Day, but it sounds good.  Better than black-eyed peas, anyway. ;)

I have to pass on the black-eyed peas.  I made a huge pot of collard greens on Monday, we ate a lot and still have plenty left for today.  If I wanted to phrase that the traditional local way, I'd say I made a "mess" (large amount) of collard greens.  I'm not sure if that term is used much outside of NC?

This is the first I've heard of eating pork and sauerkraut on NY Day, but it sounds good.  Better than black-eyed peas, anyway. ;)

"mess" used in some parts of Texas, too....

And I agree, Pawz4me, I would much rather eat pork and sauerkraut than black-eyed peas.

Black eyed pea Jambalaya with andouille sausage and ham, southwest corn, creamed cabbage, biscuits, and blueberry cobbler here. I grew up in the Great State of Louisiana but am very far away in the Midwest now! My family always ate cabbage, not collard greens, for New Year.

You make that Jambalaya sound terrific... but I think I'll skip the creamed cabbage - maybe a taste - just to make sure.

And I didn't grow up with pork and sauerkraut, and as a kid I wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole, but now that I am an adult, I must admit it sounds really good right now.  Can I share a bite before i eat my protein oatmeal?   :)

My kids tend to be adventurous eaters, so they'll try pretty much anything to see if they like it.  It's the way they grew up with our travels, etc.

You could definitely have some if you're close.  We fill a large crockpot full and it lasts a few days with just my family eating it - esp now that oldest isn't here and he's one of the three who loves it.  Oatmeal I can resist.  ;)

Mess is familiar to me as hubby spent most of his youth in NC.

We were totally new to pork & sauerkraut when we moved to PA.  I think it's a very regional thing.  Our adventurous spirit had us trying it 18 years ago when we moved here and it passed the test, so was adopted as new tradition for us in our adopted hometown.  When we lived in FL, our New Year's tradition was grilling dinner outside.  I really liked that one, but it doesn't seem quite the same in the PA winter.  :glare:   We literally had no tradition where I grew up (upstate NY).

As a transplant to the South, I was all prepared to turn up my nose at black-eyed peas. But cooked with lots of onion and the ham bone from Christmas and served over brown rice? Yum. Dd will eat a little, ds likes the dish a lot. We don't do collard greens (dh's choice).

I live in western PA, and pork and sauerkraut is a tradition here, too.  It's on the menu at a party I'm going to.  I don't see how anyone can eat that stuff.  Then there's haluska (cabbage and noodles) -- another traditional dish I cannot abide.  I'm sure that will be on the menu today, too.  Thank goodness it is a casual buffet, with people in and out all afternoon, and not a sit-down meal.

I'm from the South, and I hate black-eyed peas, too.  I always choked one down every New Year's  Day, for luck.

If we had even a halfway decent Chinese or Mexican restaurant here, that's what we'd have on New Year's Day.  I'd make sure there were lots of leftovers for midnight snacks and breakfast.

You make that Jambalaya sound terrific... 

Doesn't she though? 

My kids tend to be adventurous eaters, so they'll try pretty much anything to see if they like it.  It's the way they grew up with our travels, etc.

Unfortunately, none of my immediate family are terribly adventurous.  But my dad was military so I had to eat a lot of, to our family, weird stuff in our travels (chicken foot soup was a popular choice when I was 2).

You could definitely have some if you're close.  We fill a large crockpot full and it lasts a few days with just my family eating it - esp now that oldest isn't here and he's one of the three who loves it.  Oatmeal I can resist.  ;)

I used to absolutely hate oatmeal.  Mushy gray stuff...yuck.  But I am hypoglycemic and I need a protein boost in the mornings.  I usually get up really early and don't cook anything until everyone else is up and moving but I can't wait that long to eat.  I found these packets of oatmeal that have protein in them.  Quick fix, don't taste terrible. and I get started on my day much faster...and thanks for sharing your food.  We don't live close but I'm eating some with you in spirit!  :)

Mess is familiar to me as hubby spent most of his youth in NC.

We were totally new to pork & sauerkraut when we moved to PA.  I think it's a very regional thing.  Our adventurous spirit had us trying it 18 years ago when we moved here and it passed the test, so was adopted as new tradition for us in our adopted hometown.  When we lived in FL, our New Year's tradition was grilling dinner outside.  I really liked that one, but it doesn't seem quite the same in the PA winter.  :glare:   We literally had no tradition where I grew up (upstate NY).

New York to Florida to Pennsylvania...big jumps and transitions?

New York to Florida to Pennsylvania...big jumps and transitions?

NY (or NC for hubby), to VA, to RI, to VA, to FL, to PA - and we've been to 49 of the 50 states + the eastern half of Canada together (others if you talk separately from our younger years).  We're nomads at heart... only choosing to settle down so our boys could come from a "hometown."  We researched pretty carefully where we wanted to live and have no regrets EXCEPT that the public schools here aren't up to my standard. Homeschooling filled in that detail - esp for my oldest two.

We'll be empty nesting if all goes well in 2014 and are seriously wondering whether to pull up stakes or just travel more.  The stakes are in pretty deep after 18 years in one location... esp since hubby owns his own Civil Engineering firm.

NY (or NC for hubby), to VA, to RI, to VA, to FL, to PA - and we've been to 49 of the 50 states + the eastern half of Canada together (others if you talk separately from our younger years).  We're nomads at heart... only choosing to settle down so our boys could come from a "hometown."  We researched pretty carefully where we wanted to live and have no regrets EXCEPT that the public schools here aren't up to my standard. Homeschooling filled in that detail - esp for my oldest two.

We'll be empty nesting if all goes well in 2014 and are seriously wondering whether to pull up stakes or just travel more.  The stakes are in pretty deep after 18 years in one location... esp since hubby owns his own Civil Engineering firm.

Wow!  Sounds like my childhood!  (30 moves).  I applaud you for doing the research and finding a stable place for the family.  We just sort of ended up where we ended up without much forethought.  Job, thankfully, led us near some of our family, but we didn't actually plan that.  If I had to do it over again, though, I think I would have picked some place with more educational opportunities, for all of us....

I'm not strong enough to resist eating a Lindt Lindor truffle as a breakfast appetizer.  

If I cooked anything special for New Years (which is not going to happen) I would cook some Chinese long noodles.  Even though Chinese New Year is actually Jan. 31st this year.  

Oh for some truly decent Chinese food!!!  And would a Harry and David truffle count?  I shouldn't have, but it just looked so good....

We do two Chinese New Year parties every year.  We look forward to them both for the FOOD!  The entertainment is ok, but way too long, but the food is AWESOME!

However, we may have some scheduling conflicts this year, so I am worried we may not be able to get to either one.

Dawn

I'm not strong enough to resist eating a Lindt Lindor truffle as a breakfast appetizer.  

If I cooked anything special for New Years (which is not going to happen) I would cook some Chinese long noodles.  Even though Chinese New Year is actually Jan. 31st this year.  

The Lindt truffles are definitely an "issue" around here - a very tasty "issue."  They serve quite nicely as breakfast appetizers IME!

Other sweets are super easy for me to resist.  Donuts would go bad around here before I would want to eat them (no sweet tooth I guess - or limited since I do like truffles).  Ditto that for most other sweets.  My guys tend to disagree... though youngest is more like me.

Feel free to share the noodles when you cook them (any day).  Those sound terrific!  ;)

See, I don't see any problem with this...says she who is sitting with her french press coffee and squares of dark chocolate and calling it breakfast. And a very good breakfast at that. In my world, Jean, the presence of chocolate at breakfast indicates a certain discriminating taste :lol:

I got a box of really nice chocolates from dh for Christmas from a local chocolate shop. They are absolutely divine. My plan was to dole them out slowly. But then I found myself having one after each meal, then two. This morning I found myself reaching for one after breakfast! Clearly, I cannot moderate myself when it comes to good chocolates! Luckily there aren't many left.

I'm not strong enough to resist.....

Loverboy has a deep fryer, and once a year (usually New Year's) we have a day or two of Heart-Attack Day.

Mmmmmmm: Deep fried cheese nuggets!

Pizza bites.

Jalopeno poppers.

Onion rings.

Chicken nuggets.

Once I get off the computer, I'll make some Hoppin' John to cleanse our systems off all of the cholesterol.

I'm not strong enough to resist.....

Loverboy has a deep fryer, and once a year (usually New Year's) we have a day or two of Heart-Attack Day.

OMG, have you made your own potato chips?  Sliced reallllly thin.... with a seasoned salt, like garlic or onion or a cheesy popcorn topping ....  I think that was the very best use DH ever made of his deep fryer.*

sigh, my second use of this smiley today:  :drool5:

* Fortunately for our circulatory systems, he seems to have forgotten he has it.  But boy, those were some good and tasty times.