Menu

Anyone else using less AC this summer?

We have had the air conditionaing off since Saturday.

It has gotten a bit warm during the day lower 80's in the house, but it's not too bad. The nighttime temp have been very nice.

Even when we had the AC on it was set to 80 so it didn't run a lot

It is nice to have on those 90 degrees days though.

The house I grew up in didin't have AC so it's not a huge deal for me.

Of course our ds could not imagine living without air-conditioning:lol:

Oh how I wish we could use the a/c less.

At the moment we live in a metal box, I mean a trailer and the a/c does not work. It is on 24/7 and in the day it is about 84 in the house.

We are moving at the weekend, and this house does have a/c that works. I'm sure dh will have it really cool in the house, just because he can.

Growing up we never had an a/c, but then I don't think any one in the UK has one. We have ceiling fans, but that's about it.

It has been beautifully cooler evenings, so this year we've actually been opening the windows at night. Dh actually shut the AC off this week because I kept having the windows open. It has so nice (and refreshing!) to have the windows open this year!

OTOH, my tomato plants are huge, but getting tomatoes is very slow. I hope I'll be able to pick a few red ones before the season's over! Now my pepper plants are doing well! :)

Weather last night said we have only had one day where the temp was above 90 degrees and we usually have more like 12 by now.

Of course the only day we had above 90 degrees was my DS20 birthday. All the kids were here and the carpenter had ripped out all the bulk heads in the kitchen and the attic was exposed so we couldn't turn the a/c on til DH got home and moved some wires and put up plastic. Memorable birthday to say the least!

Our a/c was broke for a month.

I am pregnant - huge - it wasn't so bad at night under the fan, even needed a blanket around 4am. However - late day with sun coming into front of house was not fun.

I can take it or leave it because when it gets too hot I take a cold shower and am fine for the rest of the day. I am glad it's back on though because all the wood doors in the cabinets and night stands swell and everything just feels so wet with the humidity.

I usually only run it July and August....sometimes into September. I don't have it at freezing. We live in Florida.

Definitely. Our electric bill has doubled since last year, so the A/C doesn't go on until it hits 85 outside, and is off at night.

We're still waiting for a "cold snap." :D Although the last few days have been *very* nice. We'll be paying for it soon, I'm sure, but we're on the downside now -- just another month at the most and I can shut the thing down until next summer.

Guest Virginia Dawn

The weather turned a few days ago and now we can cut off the AC at night and open the windows. I still turn it back on about noon.

The last few nights have been in the low 60's, heavenly!

Heck no! Not with nearly 50 days of 3 digit temperatures this summer. It was already 93 degrees at 10:00 this morning! But 80 wouldn't be bad.

Dorothy in Austin, Texas (really Hutto, but not many have heard of it)

Hey, Dorothy! I'm a former Academy Bumblebee. I remember playing the Hutto Hippos fondly! :seeya:

This summer has been the most lovely in memory (we are in WV) The humidity has been low, the last few weeks have been in the upper 70's and the breeze have been almost constant. We have only needed the AC at night. I like the bedroom freezing at night. It has truly been a wonderful summer.:)

Definitely less here. Usually August in St. Louis mean cranking the AC to full blast and then lying quietly on the basement floor trying not to sweat to death. But this has been a surprisingly pleasant summer. We've had the window open every day for the past week! That does not happen here!

I *thought* I couldn't use my a/c less until I got a $615 electric bill. Our *useage* has gone down each month since we've been here and yet the bill has continued to climb. Yeah, my a/c is now OFF. It was 81 in my house at 9:30 in the morning. But, I have all the windows open and I usually get a decent breeze through the house which helps.

Way less up here in Toronto! In fact, I just got our electricity bill and our average daily usage is down 25% over the same period last summer. It's probably partly due to less A/C but also due to all the CFLs we've installed and my switch to cold water washing for everything except for white sheets and towels, and kitchen cloths.

:lol: I won't even think of using less a/c until it cools down some. The last three weeks have had average highs of 98 - 100. And I absolutely HATE to sweat! (Of course, we Southern belles don't sweat... we glisten!) Heck, I've run that darn thing in October some years!

We have had the air conditionaing off since Saturday.

It has gotten a bit warm during the day lower 80's in the house, but it's not too bad. The nighttime temp have been very nice.

Even when we had the AC on it was set to 80 so it didn't run a lot

It is nice to have on those 90 degrees days though.

I'm trying to forget that you are asking this question.

We had days and days and days of temps over 100 F.

It's been better lately, but still hot.

We won't see the 80's until October.

I was afraid to open my most recent bill, but I've been setting the air between 81F and 84F, so it was not as bad as it could been. I was still sweating inside the house when it was set at 81F. I moved it back down to 78F after I got the bill.

Yep! Ours has been off since July 23rd! We rented a cabin in the Smokies, and turned our Texas A/C off. No $600 August bill for us. We have run the A/C here, but much less because it is so much cooler, and it's included in the rent.

I wish I had thought to get out of dodge while my dh was at annual training. He comes home on the 25th, but I've made other plans to stay in the house.

We've never had a $600 electric bill here in TX, even with two a/c units, but I work very hard so that does not happen. I don't know how I would pay for that huge of a bill. I had them blow a ton of extra batting into the attic before we moved in. I'm sure that helps. Plus, we have those whirlygig things on the roof. I wanted a radiant barrier, but they *forgot* to install it before we moved in. How do you forget something like that?

I've been making a lot of ice cream and taking the girls to the pool. Nothing like being a beached whale on top of a blow up lounge. At least I feel sort of cool. For some reason, I don't think it was nearly this hot last time I was pregnant at this exact same time. You'da thought I would have learned...

Considering that last summer we lived in St. Louis....and this summer we live in Northern Washington state.....ummmm yeah....we use less. :lol: Actually we don't use any at all....since we don't have one here. But we don't really need it except for days like today.....bleh

We've never had a $600 electric bill here in TX, even with two a/c units, but I work very hard so that does not happen. I don't know how I would pay for that huge of a bill.

Well, the energy costs are extremely high in this area. I've never had a bill over $300, not when we lived in Oklahoma or North Carolina. So, no a/c for a month to see how it goes it is.

Well, the energy costs are extremely high in this area. I've never had a bill over $300, not when we lived in Oklahoma or North Carolina. So, no a/c for a month to see how it goes it is.

Should be interesting. Lots of people have $600+ electricity bills here. The rates are incredibly high. And, they want to increase them.

I'd love to turn the a/c off before November, but I've never done that since moving here.