Menu

If you were moving halfway across the country, in a minivan...

Guest inoubliable

We take road trips like that several times a year (midwest to east coast and back, midwest to Texas, midwest to Florida...)At your kids' ages I wouldn't worry too much about entertaining them on the drive. When mine were toddlers I put more effort into finding things for them to do in the car, but these days I pretty much just throw a few things into a backpack and call it good: a book or two, an iPod with a couple of audiobooks loaded onto it, the Nintendo DS and a few games for it and that's about it. Mostly we just listen to music and/or audiobooks, talk, snooze, and watch the scenery out the windows.

With your boys, Ender's Game would be a great audiobook if they haven't read it yet.  My kids still talk about the time we listened to that on a road trip.  Swiss Family Robinson is also heavily detailed and very entertaining. 

We do cross-country trips every other year or so.  Audiobooks are better than movies, and they are a shared experience for everyone.  We have a power inverter that is about 15 years old.  It powers everything (/CDDVD players, laptops, and every other imaginable gadget) and has been a great investment.

We borrow audiobooks from the library.  If that's an option for you, here's a way to borrow them:  stock up on them just before the trip, and make arrangements to leave the cases with an obliging friend, then mail the discs only back to her in a small priority mail box, and have her return them for you.  (I have sweet friends with whom I do crazy things like that.)

One of our favorites is audiobooks.  The trick is finding one that appeals to the whole family. 

Head to the dollar store and get some headphone splitters.  This way two or more kids and listen to the same audiobook without you having to listen to it also!  I did bedtime story time this way.  Each child had their headphones on a blanket to cover up with and I told them it was time to go to sleep.  Hubby went to bed really early and we left after he had 6 hours of sleep at 2am.  I had kept kids up till 11pm, so they quickly went to sleep and slept for a long time.  There wasn't any traffic to worry about during that time of night.

Keep a plastic milk pitcher lined with a large ziplock bag.  If someone gets sick, they can get sick into the pitcher and when they are done, simply zip up the bag and there is no odor.  Toss at the next rest stop.  A box of baby wipes will keep everyone sticky free also.

I was going to suggest that, too. They're usually cheaper than a collection of device-specific chargers and you can use them for anything.

While you're perusing Audible: my kids are huge fans of the BBC full vast radio productions of Sherlock Holmes (the ones with Clive Merrison). Of course, they're also huge fans of Dragnet, Guy Noir, and Fibber McGee & Molly from The Big Broadcast on WAMU Sunday nights, so... Also, Roald Dahl audiobooks are well done.

Oh! And books read by Lorraine Montgomery for Lit2Go (free through iTunes).

Guest inoubliable

Fantastic ideas, everyone! Thank you so much. 

Feel free to chime in with any other ideas. 

Anyone with an idea on made-ahead snacks? I can grab chips and pretzels, and I can keep string cheese in the cooler. I'm looking for ideas on something to eat in a hotel room as a late snack or early breakfast that didn't come from a vending machine, or fast food place. Ideas?

I put yogurts in the cooler with the cheese stick. A bag of granola and apples and voila! kid breakfast. My kids could eat that for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also make a bag of curried chicken salad for road trips for me and my husband to have on ww bread as dinner. I just keep the cooler very cool.

Though to be totally honest, my personal favorite road trip breakfast is, and will remain for all eternity, the egg mcmuffin.

Anyone with an idea on made-ahead snacks? I can grab chips and pretzels, and I can keep string cheese in the cooler. I'm looking for ideas on something to eat in a hotel room as a late snack or early breakfast that didn't come from a vending machine, or fast food place. Ideas?

I kept boiled eggs (already peeled) with a cooler pack in their own lunch bag and kept that in the trunk and would just pull out a few at stops if the kids were needing food that was more substantial than pretzels or crackers. I made oatmeal scones and put jam inside them. Trail mixes worked well and the fruit and nuts were somewhat filling. I made some muffins and kept most of those in the trunk as well since it's cooler there and I would pull out a few at bathroom stops. I kept yogurt tubes in with the cooler pack as well and I froze them before we left. They lasted really well and because they were frozen they helped keep the eggs cool.

If you are okay with peanut butter, skippy natural has a chocolate peanut butter that tastes amazing with only 8g of sugar. I travel with that and a loaf of whole wheat (don't forget the plastic knife). Tastes like a treat, but still works as a healthy breakfast. I've only ever seen it at target. http://www.target.com/p/skippy-natural-creamy-peanut-butter-spread-with-dark-chocolate-15-oz/-/A-14375450?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C14375450&CPNG=Unassigned&kpid=14375450&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14375450

Check out different hotel chains, some are now offering an evening hors d'oeuvre bar including a limited number or adult beverages. I just fed DS that for dinner. He was over the moon thrilled.

I also tend to over load on breakfast. DS has learned that when we actually stay at a nice hotel he is expected to eat a huge breakfast. We stayed at one really nice hotel that not only had the evening meal but also offered a massive breakfast where they cooked made to order omelets, had more fresh fruit than a small town super market but also offered a to go box. I took them up on it. The $20 extra I paid for the room more than paid for itself in food.  

When I was a kid we did Carnation Breakfast bars :( They don't have those anymore.

When we go on trips, we cut up cooked sausage and cube up cheese and breakfast, at least the first day, is Crackers with sausage and cheese. Sometimes it can stretch into the afternoon and make only a dinner needed out.

Guest inoubliable

When I was a kid we did Carnation Breakfast bars :( They don't have those anymore.

When we go on trips, we cut up cooked sausage and cube up cheese and breakfast, at least the first day, is Crackers with sausage and cheese. Sometimes it can stretch into the afternoon and make only a dinner needed out.

They don't make those anymore?? I don't buy them, or even walk in the aisle they're sold in, but I swear I've seen them at my Grandaddy's house in the past few months... maybe I should check the expiration dates next time I'm over there....

Sausage and cheese breakfast sounds like a great idea. Adding that to my list! Thank you. :)

They don't make those anymore?? I don't buy them, or even walk in the aisle they're sold in, but I swear I've seen them at my Grandaddy's house in the past few months... maybe I should check the expiration dates next time I'm over there....

Sausage and cheese breakfast sounds like a great idea. Adding that to my list! Thank you. :)

No. not for more than a decade.

The closest I find are the Quaker Chewy Dipps. But its not the same.

https://www.facebook.com/BringBackCarnationBreakfastBars

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/beloved-snacks-you-ll-never-be-able-to-eat-again-163919688.html?page=4

Note: They DO sell Carnation Breakfast shakes still. A lot of online questions about the BARS seems to confuse them with the Shakes

Lol! They've been discontinued for almost 20 years

Guest inoubliable

No. not for more than a decade.

The closest I find are the Quaker Chewy Dipps. But its not the same.

https://www.facebook.com/BringBackCarnationBreakfastBars

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/beloved-snacks-you-ll-never-be-able-to-eat-again-163919688.html?page=4

Note: They DO sell Carnation Breakfast shakes still. A lot of online questions about the BARS seems to confuse them with the Shakes

Lol! They've been discontinued for almost 20 years

Uh oh... 

I'm pretty sure they were the bars... He probably bought a truckload at Price Club a zillion years ago. (Anyone remember Price Club before they merged with Costco??) I need to call him! LOL.

Guest inoubliable

Midwesterner here too! OP, can you give a hint where you'll be?

Roughly, we pass through Columbus, OH and Indianapolis. We're going through Vincennes, IL, the Chicago area, Fond du Lac, and La Crosse. Up through Minneapolis and then northwest to our new town in MN. 

If anyone knows of some interesting places to stop (not too far into a bigger city - we'll be towing a Uhaul trailer), let me know! Or if anyone wants to meet up, I'm down for that too. :) 

Roughly, we pass through Columbus, OH and Indianapolis. We're going through Vincennes, IL, the Chicago area, Fond du Lac, and La Crosse. Up through Minneapolis and then northwest to our new town in MN. 

If anyone knows of some interesting places to stop (not too far into a bigger city - we'll be towing a Uhaul trailer), let me know! Or if anyone wants to meet up, I'm down for that too. :) 

:(

If you decide to forgo Chicago I could possibly be on your way to MN...

what would you bring along to entertain kiddos? 

In March, we're leaving the East Coast for the Midwest!  :hurray:  We're planning on heading out with whatever fits in our minivan and a large Uhaul trailer. We've got our route planned out with stops every three hours or so. I'm doing as much advance planning as I can and now I'm wondering... what should I pack to entertain the kids? We don't have a portable DVD player or portable game systems. Books? I figured as much. Sketch pads and colored pencils? Yeah, probably. What else? 

Looking for some unique ideas, not too expensive. Ideally, I'd like the kids to use their small LL Bean totes while in the car. I'm thinking of packing entertainment stuff and snacks in those. 

Thoughts?

wow!  Congratulations from a fellow East Coaster (I think I'm almost local to you in VA).  I've always wanted to move out of this area, so I'll have to live vicariously through you. 

One year I made a copy of the road map (do they still have those??) and have it available for the kids to highlight as you move along your route.  Every year when the kids were smaller we took the annual trip to St. Louis to see my sis.   I would also buy a few small things that they couldn't have until we started the trip... that way they had something new to do/play with.  Yatzee is easy to do in the car.  Just use the box top as your "table" so you don't loose the dice.  Cards are good to have too.. but they can get lost.   Books similar to "Where's Waldo" seemed to work really well on car trips. 

Good luck with decluttering and packing.  What an adventure.

We find bagels travel better than bread - fewer crumbs, easy to hold without a plate, less getting smooshed. My oldest and i are prone to carsickness so instead of toys and books there is a lot of storytelling in the car. Either one person tells a story or we each take turns making up a line of a story. Music, audiobooks, and playing 20 questions helped too.

On our cross country road trip, we tried to do one pit stop a day at a park. Dad, the main driver, would take a cat nap, and the kids would run. We would then eat in the car on the go.

Guest inoubliable

:(

If you decide to forgo Chicago I could possibly be on your way to MN...

Sorry. :( We have plans and kinda have to go through Chicago. 

wow!  Congratulations from a fellow East Coaster (I think I'm almost local to you in VA).  I've always wanted to move out of this area, so I'll have to live vicariously through you. 

One year I made a copy of the road map (do they still have those??) and have it available for the kids to highlight as you move along your route.  Every year when the kids were smaller we took the annual trip to St. Louis to see my sis.   I would also buy a few small things that they couldn't have until we started the trip... that way they had something new to do/play with.  Yatzee is easy to do in the car.  Just use the box top as your "table" so you don't loose the dice.  Cards are good to have too.. but they can get lost.   Books similar to "Where's Waldo" seemed to work really well on car trips. 

I've tried to "escape" from VA several times already and always boomeranged right back! LOL. This move is for good, though. We can't wait. :)

Awesome ideas, thank you. 

Luckily we already have so little. Five of us in a house that's listed as 950 sq ft, but we don't use the basement or one of the bedrooms. I've never done the math, but it looks like we're living in about 600 - 650 sq ft. And we have a pretty minimalist lifestyle already (except for all the homeschooling stuff, naturally. Ha!) so I'm thinking that packing will go pretty smoothly. We've already begun the quest of using things up and evaluating what needs to go and what could be gifted to someone local. Woo! And now I'm in a mood to pack! LOL

Audio books

Travel games

Mad libs

Yes and know books http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004HH5YFI/ref=pd_aw_sims_3?pi=SL500_SS115

Ooh, those books look pretty cool. I'd never seen those before. I think my two little guys will get a kick out of them. Thanks!

We find bagels travel better than bread - fewer crumbs, easy to hold without a plate, less getting smooshed. My oldest and i are prone to carsickness so instead of toys and books there is a lot of storytelling in the car. Either one person tells a story or we each take turns making up a line of a story. Music, audiobooks, and playing 20 questions helped too.

On our cross country road trip, we tried to do one pit stop a day at a park. Dad, the main driver, would take a cat nap, and the kids would run. We would then eat in the car on the go.

Good points on the bagels. I like the idea of letting the kids run around a park so my husband can take a little nap. That will be really nice for the longest chunk of driving time (10.5 hours from here to our first stop in IL). 

The scooters are a great idea. The kids are bringing their skateboards, so I'll just make sure those are accessible. Thanks!

I'll start looking now for a DVD player. The last time I looked at those, years ago, they were over $100. That's just not going to happen.

Yep - we've got a CD player! I've got to look into making a few CDs now.

I bought one at WalMart a couple of years ago for $30. :) Only some of the walmart's sell the cheap ones, though. Worth a thought.

Oh, yes. When I was younger I drove my parents crazy with the constant "are we there yet?" on our many car trips. One year they bought me my own map so that I would know how far we had gone/had to go. Worked wonder! And it took up a lot of my time looking for the green signs and then trying to find where we were on the map. :)

Don't know if the conversation has moved on from travel games to food ideas :p... but my kiddos love travel logic games.  Right now, IQ Twist is hugely popular in our household.  We also have Travel (magnetic) Tangrams and other magnetic logic games that come in their own little fold-up storage cases.  We also play with the "Find It" game in the car.

We tend to pack lots of fruits/veggies/cheesesticks when traveling.   Bagels and cereal bars, too.