Menu

Books for girls?

Kathryn

I'm a Goodwill book shopper and mom of only boys so far. While I do have a few must-read classics that would be considered "girly," our home library really reflects that I have only boys. Having a girl on the way, I'd like to be on the lookout for books/series that I've overlooked until now. So, what are some books or book series that you'd recommend to have in a home library for girls?

Any of the Betsy-Tacy series are WONDERFUL.  They are by Maud Hart Lovelace.  They start when the girls are very young and then move up through her childhood, highschool, college, and young married adult years, taking place in the early 1900's in the midwest.  The reading level reflects the age that the book characters are at.  (So when Betsy is a young child, for example, the reading level is for lower elementary school students.)  They are sweet, wholesome, fun, interesting...  All of my girls loved them!  They all have different tastes, and the books fit the bill for all of them!  :)

Also, wanted to add...  you should read these books in order, because as in most series, each book builds on the previous one.

Betsy-Tacy absolutely, I just finished the first one with my 4 year old and she loved it. 

Clementine

Ramona 

Milly-Molly-Mandy is kind of old-fashioned but has nice short chapters for the very young

Little House series

Anne of Green Gables

The Doll People 

The Penderwicks 

A lot of those my boys have enjoyed too, especially Clementine, Ramona and The Penderwicks. 

Betsy-Tacy absolutely, I just finished the first one with my 4 year old and she loved it. 

Clementine

Ramona 

Milly-Molly-Mandy is kind of old-fashioned but has nice short chapters for the very young

Little House series

Anne of Green Gables

The Doll People 

The Penderwicks 

A lot of those my boys have enjoyed too, especially Clementine, Ramona and The Penderwicks. 

Our favorites here:

The Saturdays series by Elizabeth Enright

Anne of Green Gables

Pippi Longstocking

The Secret Garden

A Little Princess

There are also early reader series that we try to pick up at library book sales for a quarter a piece. I figure if DD goes on a run of them, it's good to have them on hand to feed the reading fire.

Magic Tree House

Rainbow Fairies

Judy Moody

Dear America

American Diaries

American Girl Doll 

Boxcar Children

The ones I remember most from childhood are Betsy-Tacy, Anne of Green Gables, King of the Wind, The Melandy Family Quartet, and A Little Princess.

Another lovely series for youngers by Cynthia Rylant is Mr. Putter and Tabby about an elderly gentleman, his cat, and his whimsical neighbor. Her Cobblestone Cousins series is also very nice.

ETA: "Eight Cousins" and "Rose in Bloom" by L. M. Alcott - they seem a little overly romanticized to me now, but I loved them when I was young.

Some my dd enjoys:

As read alouds:

Peter Pan

Little House Series

All of a Kind Family

Baby Island

Winnie the Pooh complete original series.

Pippie Longstocking

Burgess

Marguerite Henry books(she loves horses).

Mary Poppins

Stuart Little

The Twenty One Balloons

For her to read:

Circle C Beginnings.

American Girl

Amelia Bedelia

Frog and Toad

I would be on the look out for older editions of Nancy Drew. My set is really old because I bought them as a child from used book stores. The older the better.

Trixie Belden and Cherry Ames are a couple of other old series which dd loved.

In addition to the ones already mentioned:

The Night Fairy

Ozma of Oz

Ballet Shoes

Tumtum and Nutmeg

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

The Little White Horse

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Light Princess

The Ordinary Princess

Momo

Eloise

Madeline

Twig

Big Susan

Understood Betsy

Baby Island

Four Dolls

Trixie Belden and Cherry Ames are a couple of other old series which dd loved.

I remember Trixie Belden! I always wished I had her friend Diana's dark hair and deep blue eyes!

And I remember reading Cherry Ames!  I wonder what I would think of one of the books now ....

Regards,

Kareni

My daughters have both loved Milly Molly Mandy.  So well loved that I need to buy a new copy.  My 12 year old still goes back to it. 

Others have been mentioned already.  I will add, if you don't mind Christian content, the Grandma's attic series of books.  Stories from Grandma's Attic is the first one.  My younger daughter LOVES these books.  I read them to her when she was younger and she keeps going back to them on her own.  

Older daughter has loved Sarah, Plain and Tall.  Has reread it multiple times along with the Little House series.  Also, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler, if not already in your library. 

My basement girly stash consists of Laura Ingalls' books, Anne of Green Gables, Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (how I love that book--the Golden Illustrated Classics Illustrations), books by Lois Lenski (Strawberry Girl for one), The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, an old version of Heidi, and The Midwife's Apprentice. 

These slightly less girly books are allowed (yes allowed, I have 4 boys) on the main floor: Wrinkle in Time, Five Children and It, Cheaper by the Dozen, The Wizard of Oz, The Princess and the Goblin/The Princess and Curdie, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Pippi Longstocking, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, the Little Women series or off-shoots, and the Ramona Quimby books. 

I do remember liking several of the series mentioned above (and The Bobbsey Twins which no one has mentioned). I too wonder what I'd think of Cherry Ames. Like many series it suffered from 'the first 4 are great but after that not so much' syndrome. Nancy Drew was the same for me. Trixie Beldon and The Bobbsey Twins were a little better (you could skip around it was a toss up as to whether it would be good or not but the best ones were in the first 10).

While I'm sure my dd MIGHT like books aimed at girls, a good book is a good book. I LOVED books that were considered only for boys, and so do my girls. Nearly everything they have truly enjoyed are either gender neutral or masculine.

I do agree with you, and I have many of the books mentioned already. But there are some that I don't because they're just not on my radar or they seemed a bit too feminine for them to be interested in.

I do agree with you, and I have many of the books mentioned already. But there are some that I don't because they're just not on my radar or they seemed a bit too feminine for them to be interested in.

I hear that a "good book is a good book."  And that has certainly been the case here with my 2 dds.  Oldest dd who is a bit of a tomboy (rides horses, barrel races, likes martial arts, prefers to wear jeans, cowboy boots, and tshirts) prefers more feminine books.  She likes Jane Austen, the Cranford series, Emily Dickens poetry. My youngest who is very "girly" (loves fashion, dolls, stuffed animals, crafts, makeup) prefers science fiction.  She reads H. G. Wells, Anne MacCaffrey, some Michael Crichton.