Menu

Mr.Q's 50% off sale is Jan 12-19. Yay.

teeniebeenie6

I just got an email saying his 50% off sale is Jan 12-19. If you sign up for his Labnotes you'll get an email with a coupon code. Yay.

ETA: I emailed Mr. Q a question I had about his curriculum and also asked if I could share the coupon code and he said yes but also wrote: "To receive reminders, they may also wish to consider signing up for my monthly newsletter atwww.eequalsmcq.com under the "LabNotes" icon."

The coupon code I got was: 36ef67fb3d

I was considering mr Q chemistry. Anyone know if this would work for a 4th and 2nd grader?

We're using his Chemistry this year for 3rd and 6th, so I think it would work for 4th and 2nd.  I find that the review sheets (there are three per lesson; we only do one, occasionally two if one of them is a short answer page) are very easy for my 6th grader, but the information is meaty and exposing her to a lot of solid concepts and vocabulary.  My 3rd grader does well with the review sheets too, but he goes back and looks through/rereads the chapters to fill them out, after I read the chapters aloud (he's not really an auditory learner but likes listening to me read).  So yes, I think it would work for your kids, but I would expect that the 2nd grader may need a fair amount of help/open-book learning.  The experiments (we haven't done all of them but have done several) have been big hits with all of my kids, even the 2 and 5yo's!

We're using his Chemistry this year for 3rd and 6th, so I think it would work for 4th and 2nd. I find that the review sheets (there are three per lesson; we only do one, occasionally two if one of them is a short answer page) are very easy for my 6th grader, but the information is meaty and exposing her to a lot of solid concepts and vocabulary. My 3rd grader does well with the review sheets too, but he goes back and looks through/rereads the chapters to fill them out, after I read the chapters aloud (he's not really an auditory learner but likes listening to me read). So yes, I think it would work for your kids, but I would expect that the 2nd grader may need a fair amount of help/open-book learning. The experiments (we haven't done all of them but have done several) have been big hits with all of my kids, even the 2 and 5yo's!

Thank you! Are the experiments hard to do? Difficult to find things? Complicated? We are not great at experiments. Does the program work if you miss an experiment here or there?

Thank you! Are the experiments hard to do? Difficult to find things? Complicated? We are not great at experiments. Does the program work if you miss an experiment here or there?

Yep, it works fine if you miss a few of the experiments. You read the chapter, then do the review sheets (or not), and then there are two experiments (sometimes it's more of a project or demonstration than an experiment) per chapter. The experiments just reinforce the concepts from the chapter, but they're not strictly necessary. We've found them to be easy to do, generally. They use mostly household materials -- a couple of disposable diapers (actually, that was hilarious since we use cloth diapers and had to buy a few sposies), corn syrup, dish soap, ginger ale, alkaseltzer tablets, toothpicks, gumdrops. . . He lists them out by chapter at the beginning, so it's pretty easy to plan ahead. I would say they are not at all complicated, and they're fun to watch. Most take just a couple of minutes of prep work for me, if that. I did make up a little lab report template for my kids to fill in with the materials used, procedure, hypothesis, result, etc., but we don't do those for every experiment. I think the experiments do add something to the understanding of the concepts, but I also don't think you will lack in learning the material if you don't get to them, if that makes sense. (I do recommend reviewing the vocabulary words, like at breakfast or something, because that does seem to help my kids remember the words better, thus giving them some reference points for the info.)

I'm thinking of getting the Advanced Chemistry.  Glad to hear it is enjoyable. 

It's got just the right combo of new information then review and testing.  Dd is the kind of kid who reads and dumps the info.  She read a chapter in Mr. Q the other day and couldn't even tell me what it was about a couple of hours later.  I told her to re-read it, but as soon as she saw it again, she could accurately summarize the info - so she had actually read it.  There are a number of worksheets at the end of each chapter, an quiz at the end of each unit (2 chapters), and a test after each 4 units (8 chapters).  This is good for her.  The chapters are also short, so this minimizes complaining.  She has always liked Mr. Q's humor.

I'll admit I'm not using the labs, as I stink at getting the hands-on stuff done and I signed her up for an outside lab class.  The Mr. Q labs are all kitchen labs - they look very doable, I just know I'd get backlogged if we were doing them at home.

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo excited to hear.  

I was also wondering about doing the advanced chem for my 7th grader next year.  I didn't want it to be hard.  I have it stuck in my head I want him to have a "fun" science year before we throw him into the high school sciences.  Still trying to debate what I will do.  He LOVES cooking though so my hope is he can do some of the kitchen labs on his own since he is pretty proficient in the kitchen and I am pretty awful at getting labs done with my kids.

I didn't get an e-mail about the sale. Hmmm. I wonder why. Thanks SO much for letting me know!

There are quite a few of us starting LLtL/RLtL that are also looking at using SOTW and Mr. Q, and I know some people have been anxiously awaiting the sale. This is good news!

Grapevine Stick Figuring Bible Curriculum is still 25% off the TMs until January 3rd. All I use are the TMs. I just fold up paper into squares, and IF I do timelines, I have the student do them vertically on lined paper, instead of horizontally as suggested. With no student books, I prefer level 1 and 2, to 3 and 4, even with older students.

All of these curricula are downloads, and together make a nice tablet only, 36 week curriculum. Kathy Jo and I have talked about trying to get a 4 year 36 week schedule created, listing these pdf curricula that work well together along with TWTM.

It isn't that I think Mr. Q is the best science curriculum, but along with the other resources I mentioned above, it creates a really nice tablet "box", that is enough and will get done.

All of these curricula are downloads, and together make a nice tablet only, 36 week curriculum.

The tablet sure is making using Mr. Q easier than the first two times I used it and didn't own a tablet and printed the whole darn student manual out.

Dd has the Student manual on her tablet, and I use the Parent manual on my smartphone.  However, I still print out all the worksheets (ahead of time)  and tests/quizzes (as needed) and put them in a binder. 

The tablet sure is making using Mr. Q easier than the first two times I used it and didn't own a tablet and printed the whole darn student manual out.

Dd has the Student manual on her tablet, and I use the Parent manual on my smartphone. However, I still print out all the worksheets (ahead of time) and tests/quizzes (as needed) and put them in a binder.

Yup, Mr. Q was just ahead of his time, creating the perfect tablet curriculum before we all had tablets. I think it would get better reviews if it had just come out now, instead of before the technology that it requires. So many people own it, but gave up on it, and it's not nearly as fun to blow the dust off of old things, instead of buying new.

I blew the dust off mine, and was, "Wait a minute! This is EXACTLY what I need right now!"

I mailed the pdfs to my Kindle account, and that is what I do. Load the student manual on my iPad mini, and the TM on my phone.

I would not have looked at Mr. Q if I had needed to print it all out. I read it on a screen. I have the teacher's manual on my desktop (for printing only) and on my iPad (for reading), but I also have the student's book on my iPad and the kids' tablet, one copy on each for each of the big kids, so they can fill out the worksheets on whichever tablet is handy. Then at the end of the year, I will just print out a handful of worksheets for their portfolios. I do print out the tests for each unit (every four chapters) as well.

I'm trying to contact Mr. Q through his website, but I am encountering an error message on my end that I am trying to fix.  I have a question about Mr. Q's science before the sale starts :-).

For the free Life Sciences curriculum, I was able to see the recommended age is 6-9.  For anyone that has the Earth Science, Chemistry, and Physics (especially this one), would you please tell me what the age range is for these? 

I am able to see that his advanced curriculums the age range is 12-17.

Thanks so much!

I'm trying to contact Mr. Q through his website, but I am encountering an error message on my end that I am trying to fix.  I have a question about Mr. Q's science before the sale starts :-).

For the free Life Sciences curriculum, I was able to see the recommended age is 6-9.  For anyone that has the Earth Science, Chemistry, and Physics (especially this one), would you please tell me what the age range is for these? 

I am able to see that his advanced curriculums the age range is 12-17.

Thanks so much!

Earth Science says 7-10, Chemistry says 8-12, Physical Science says 7-12.  If you follow this link http://www.eequalsmcq.com/classicsciinfo.htm, click on the book you want to look at.  Then click on Curriculum Timeline.  The age is listed on the first page of the pdf.

For the free Life Sciences curriculum, I was able to see the recommended age is 6-9.  

For goodness sake! 6-9? It's fine for students older than 9! Yes, I'm oldschool, and just not up to snuff STEM wise and all that. But really, the life science is FINE for a 5th grader following the TWTM cycle.

My 8yo and 11yo are doing Chemistry this year. It is very easy for my 11yo, but the material is very good and solid, and the experiments work well to reinforce the info. My 8yo has a little trouble with the review sheets, but I think that a huge part of that is that he is not an auditory learner, but they all (he included) want me to read it aloud. I usually hand him the tablet so he can look up the words when he does the sheets, and we also review the vocab words at breakfast. (This is a kid who quotes SOTW and Usborne to me after reading his history assignments to himself, so I think it's really just that listening doesn't really engage him the same way as reading.) So I would peg it at a 4th-5th grade level in difficulty but more like up to 8th in material covered.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, maybe I am not very observant, but I have looked around the website, and can find no where to purchase the curric.  I can see there is a shopping cart on the top,  but I can't seem to find the place to put anything into the shopping cart?  Is it just me?  probably.  But I think I want to order a couple of these for my kids next year, so I think actually paying will be helpful. :)

Thanks for the help

K

Ok, maybe I am not very observant, but I have looked around the website, and can find no where to purchase the curric.  I can see there is a shopping cart on the top,  but I can't seem to find the place to put anything into the shopping cart?  Is it just me?  probably.  But I think I want to order a couple of these for my kids next year, so I think actually paying will be helpful. :)

Thanks for the help

K

I believe you have to create an account first. After you do that, you will have the option to add items to your cart. It took me a while to figure it out as well :001_smile:

I can't decide between earth science and chemistry. My son will be 7 when we use it. Dd will be almost 9. That's on the young side for this but I think they'd like it more than earth. Any opinions on what I should choose?

Having used both, I'd suggest going with Earth Science.

Thanks for this.

DD just received Caveman Chemistry, but I'm interested in maybe adding a Physical Sciences element.

Could someone please help me with how much non-metric measurements are involved? Australia went metric when I was an infant.

We are fine with measuring bits of card and string in inches, (I tend to buy rulers with both), but do they work formuli or anything in pounds per square inch rather than metric etc.