Menu

Strong phonics and math for first grade, open and go

MamaSprout

I had a desperate mom call me today who is looking for a private school in our area (there are none- I offer some cottage classes, and that's about it). I think she needs some major hand holding, and I want to suggest some very straight forward open and go math and phonics materials for her (after her dd has some de-schooling time). I was thinking Math Mammoth or CLE for math. I love Word Mastery, but I've taught kids to read before. Does Memoria Press' version have instructions or should I just send her to the Blend Phonics page and give her a good read-aloud list?

Thought's appreciated.

CLE would be a great choice for math. It holds the teacher's hand, and it builds a strong foundation.

What about A Beka for phonics/reading? I haven't seen it, but it would probably be a lot like private school.

I'm using and loving R&S Phonics and Reading, but the TM has a lot of stuff that if you did all of it, it might take forever. I don't know if A Beka is like that also or not. I'm able to simplify R&S easily, but a timid new homeschooler may struggle with that.

Phonics Pathways is easy to use, so that's another good choice. Just doesn't have specific lessons (so again, timid new homeschooler can get frustrated).

I've heard good things about CLE LTR, though they have all the dictionary markings that get excessive. CLE is easy to use from a teacher standpoint though, so worth looking at.

This is not a long term solution, just a cool thing they might like right now. Funnix has a free full program download until December 20. I downloaded the computer part, but didn't print the worksheets. They're not flashy and the lesson looked to me like it followed "Teach your child to read in 100 ez lessons" method. If a child likes Dora the Explorer, or any of the tv shows where they ask a question to the audience they'll probably like the computer part of funnix. You don't really click on the answer, just the next button, but the narrator asks your child a question, waits for them to answer, then pretends like they heard them say the right answer.

http://funnix.com

Definitely Dancing Bears (by sound foundations) for learning to read. It doesn't get any more open and go then that, and it's outstanding! Not sure what you might want for math. Light in the younger years or rigorous from the beginning? For us we don't start any formal math until later, but Math Seeds is great for making sure they have an understanding of the basics. My Ker and 1st grader both enjoy "playing" with that. Sterling Math facts is a great program for learning math facts.

Definitely Dancing Bears (by sound foundations) for learning to read. It doesn't get any more open and go then that, and it's outstanding! Not sure what you might want for math. Light in the younger years or rigorous from the beginning? For us we don't start any formal math until later, but Math Seeds is great for making sure they have an understanding of the basics. My Ker and 1st grader both enjoy "playing" with that. Sterling Math facts is a great program for learning math facts.

Not necessarily "rigorous", but direct. I think the dd might eventually end up in "cyber school". She's have anxiety issues and the school sounds like they are being pretty aggressive with the family.

What about either Dancing Bears, like previously mentioned or All About Reading and All About Spelling?  For math, maybe Singapore or Math In Focus if she includes the Home Instructor's Guide, or Math Mammoth as previously mentioned...

At that age, a lot of math games, including card games, dominoes, dice rolling games, etc. would help with subitization skills and maybe help with the de-tox period...

Phonics Museum is very open and go but has lots of neat things in it (besides a script and activities, it has a museum theme with art and cheesy songs).  There are worksheets, readers with interesting historical information...  It isn't cheap, but there is a lot there to make it easy on a nervous mom-teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

Memoria Press packages spring to mind . R&S Math is included there but easy to teach on its own. I like Primary Phonics with the readers. MP uses some of them in K. But, yeah, MP is a great choice. The forums are always open and the staff is wonderful for handholding. The materials are excellent.

If she really needs handholding, she may need a distance school like Laurel Springs or K12 or something.

To me the most open and go programs that hold your hand are the scripted ones with daily lesson plans that tell you exactly what to review every day and segment out all the new info so you know how fast to introduce it. I've used Abeka, and it would be perfect for your description, even though not all children need everything listed every day. Probably any similar traditional curriculum would work, like R&S or BJU.

Phonics Pathways (PP)  and the related Pyramid books. PP covers letter sounds to reading fluently in a very simple, systematic, thorough and stunningly efficient way.

I advise Math U See if she really needs hand holding-the video instruction shows the parent what to do and say to teach each level. Math should always be taught with physical, concrete representations when introducing math concepts and Math U See does that well.