Menu

Canadian Friends: I Need Help With a Meal

Chelli

Back bacon, whoopie pies, Tim's coffee, President's Choice Candy Cane Ice Cream, Laura Secord chocolates. poutine, beaver tails, cabbage rolls, pierogies, salt and vinegar everything, interesting flavors of potato chips, nanaimo bars, little tarts...

You can also try putting milk in a ziplock bag and cut a tiny corner and try pouring it on your cereal.  

I am typically a lurker-type, but this made me LOL for real. 

I live in Ontario, was born on the prairies and raised in a ridiculously small village in Newfoundland. 

Meat pie is amazing, my Mom makes the best and she refuses to give me her recipe no matter how hard I beg. 

I always love conversations with American friends about the things they don't have there. 

I remember once telling my American gf that I went to Dairy Queen and had a Smarties Blizzard and I thought she was going to toss her cookies. Only after a really long and strange conversation did we realize we were talking about two very different things. 

I only eat poutine from quebec, and it has to be the right sauce on it or else it's just... cheese, fries and gravy. 

We've had some oddball things in my life in Newfoundland - cod tongues, salted fish, fish and brewis. 

Moose meat and caribou meat are my two favourite "canadian" foods, along with good bannock from a First Nations reserve nearby where I live. 

Thanks so much for the links to the recipes! 

I've decided to make the tourtiere from above and the nanaimo bars for dessert (those look sooooo good!).

Let us know how they turn out! I will say that tourtiere is better eaten the next day and preferably cold. Nanaimo bars are good any time :D

It's what Kraft Macaroni & Cheese is called in Canada. The formulation is a bit different. Never liked the stuff, no matter what you call it.

I never realized it was called Kraft Macaroni and Cheese here. That's stretching things a bit don't you think? There may be macaroni in it but the pylon-orange powder that goes with it should not ever be referred to as 'cheese' :willy_nilly:

I never realized it was called Kraft Macaroni and Cheese here. That's stretching things a bit don't you think? There may be macaroni in it but the pylon-orange powder that goes with it should not ever be referred to as 'cheese' :willy_nilly:

It is cheese, or at least it originally was.

A Brief History of Cheese Powder (includes video)

http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/11/processed-cheese-powder-food-technology-doritos-cheetos.html

It is cheese, or at least it originally was.

A Brief History of Cheese Powder (includes video)

http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/11/processed-cheese-powder-food-technology-doritos-cheetos.html

Strangely edifying, nmoira. I enjoyed the guys in the hazmat suits as they pulled the product out of the dehydrator :smilielol5:

Hubby says they had a holder for the milk bags, so it wasnt like putting a ziploc of milk in the fridge . . . 

Yes, and if you weren't paying attention when you put a new bag in and then went to pour it, occasionally the bag would dislodge and instead of hitting your Weetabix it would pour all over the table in a cold, white calcium rush :lol:

Yes, and if you weren't paying attention when you put a new bag in and then went to pour it, occasionally the bag would dislodge and instead of hitting your Weetabix it would pour all over the table in a cold, white calcium rush :lol:

Yes, even with a holder for the bags, it can be difficult especially with a newly cut bag!  I had the lovely experience of using a freshly cut bag this morning and had a nice milk splosh on the table.  After 5 years my sploshes are getting less frequent, but they do still happen.

I don't miss bagged milk, though I have to admit it's much easier for little kids to handle than a gallon jug.

Woe to her who snips the wrong end and has to turn the bag around.

milk1.jpg

I don't miss bagged milk, though I have to admit it's much easier for little kids to handle than a gallon jug.

Woe to her who snips the wrong end and has to turn the bag around.

:smilielol5:

I think we had that exact milk jug. Oh, the horrors of snipping the wrong end and the ill-conceived efforts to rectify the situation. :willy_nilly:

I recall we had a white Ikea table with a faulty leg and occasionally the leg would dislodge if someone bumped it too vigorously. Watching the cornflakes, plates, cutlery and yes, milk with its bag and jug slide onto the floor in a heap was an invigorating way to start the day.

I've lived in Canada over 10 years and haven't seen milk in a bag.  Must be regional.  I remember when in the states they tried to get people to switch to bags in our area once, but it never took.

The right/wrong end is about pouring from the pitcher - if you cut the end by the handle it'd be really hard to take it out and turn it around, but it would be really hard to pour too.  I would think one could cut the other corner too and be fine, but I might be missing something.

I would think one could cut the other corner too and be fine, but I might be missing something.

Undoubtedly, but that's not a solution I'd ever have come up with first thing in the morning. :tongue_smilie:

There's a regionally biased joke in there somewhere.

It is cheese enough that I can't eat it.

Strangely I am not as sad about that as some other types of cheese. :lol:

Okay, so explain this milk in a bag thing.

Why are milk jugs a no-no in Canada?

And how is there a right end and a wrong end on a plastic bag filled with milk?

milk in a bag is more of a regional thing, I think. Growing up in the maritimes, that is all we used. I'm in my forties. Out west I remember them trying it, but the stores charged morecforvit and I think people that it was weird and it never caught on. I prefer it but I guess that is what I'm use to.

As to the wrong way of cutting the bag, well you have to make sure the bag is all the way in the jug before you cut and pour. Otherwise the top part of the bag flops out more milk than you want. Also you don't want to cut the hole too big.

We used to only be able to get ketchup potato chips in Canada but a few years ago we started getting Herr's Ketchup potato chips here.

I had a friend who'd drive to the duty free shop to get Pringles Ketchup Flavor about once a month or so.

Sorry, but there is only ONE kind of REAL ketchup chips. And dill pickle for that matter. OLD DUTCH or leave 'em. :D

Another Canadian junk food masterpiece... Hawkins Cheezies. :-)

Sorry, but there is only ONE kind of REAL ketchup chips. And dill pickle for that matter. OLD DUTCH or leave 'em. :D

You must never have tired the here's kind of ketchup chip.

You know when you findthatoneperfect chip in the bag that is bright d all over. In here's ever chip is like that.

As for weird chips Rectnly the stores have been carrying odder and odder favors. I think I have even seen a maple sryop and smoked bacon flavor.

Oh, but the "perfect" chip is the burnt one! :-) Sadly, they are harder and harder to find. Darn advanced technology and better quality controls!

Uck. 

I never liked ketchup or BBQ chips of any kind, until I tried Kettle Chipotle Chili Barbeque. Heaven. But I haven't seen them for ages.

My favorite were Humpty Dumpty bbq.  Unfortunately HD got bought out by Old Dutch.  Supposedly OD was keeping the bbq recipe for HD the same though.  I used to get my mom to send me a box of Humpty Dumpty chips because you couldn't get them out west, only down east.

No 'Canadian' holiday is complete without butter tarts. Or rather for me no holiday is complete without my grandma's butter tart recipe. Poutines can be amazing if the right gravy is put on (always hot so it melts the curds), but if it's not great gravy, it's just kinda mushy food. I tend to go for poutines when I'm looking for comfort food. Bannock is pretty common and popular around here. Some of the women in my neck of the woods make amazing bannock. Nanaimo bars are never something I've enjoyed. Just too much and they make me sick. Butter tarts are almost too sweet, but nanaimo bars are much more so. Every time I go down into the US, I make my dh stop at Timmie's for some tim bits before we leave the country. This last trip we took Canadian smarties down with us, rockets are fun, but not the same as what we call smarties. I also took Kinder surprises down with me and didn't realize until we were down there that I could've been fined $300/egg. That would've $3600!! Not doing that again, but the kids that we gave them too had a blast.

A lot of those are for their Asian market.  When I worked at Dunkin Donuts in Japan, we had a curry flavored donut. . .

I saw that.

Well how about some Canadian ones. :)

Grilled Cheese and Ketchup 

Creamy Garlic Ceasar

Chicken and Waffles ????

Maple Moose ????

I wonder about the meeting that came up with the Chicken and Waffles flavor. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=very+weird+chip+flavours&lr=&as_qdr=all&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n0OeUoKcBsu9qAHjkYDAAQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1329&bih=850#as_qdr=all&lr=&q=Weird%20Canada%20chips&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

They are called Rockets in Canada.  When we go back to Canada, Canadian smarties are one of many things we bring back to the US

Kinder surprise eggs are another chocolate you can't get in the US.  They are illegal here.

Ahem. There are many stores near me where I can buy one. I've been tempted just to find out what the fuss is about.

I wonder about the meeting that came up with the Chicken and Waffles flavor. 

There are chicken and waffle restaurants. Some people eat fried chicken with waffles. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles

Poutine in my community restaurants is fantastic.  Outside my community -- not so great.  I like it with homemade chicken/turkey gravy and melted mozza/cheddar cheese on top.

Ketchup chips don't taste the way you'd think.  They are yum!

Is donair sauce a Canadian thing?

I'm pretty sure donairs are just gyros, and the sauce is tzatziki sauce. That is what it looks and tastes like to me.

Here donair is beef while gyros are made with pork. Donair sauce is sweet, made with evaporated milk and sugar not yogurt.

Edited to add that by here, I meant where I live. Probably somewhere people are selling gyros and calling them donair.

Dh asked me last night what is for xmas dinner.  I said probably ham, but I could do turkey again.  I asked what he wanted.  He said how about a traditional canadian meal?  I said ok, whats traditional for canadian xmas?  He said meat pies . . . well, I could do that.  I dont think the boys would eat it, but i could.  What else?  He has no idea.  

Dh asked me last night what is for xmas dinner.  I said probably ham, but I could do turkey again.  I asked what he wanted.  He said how about a traditional canadian meal?  I said ok, whats traditional for canadian xmas?  He said meat pies . . . well, I could do that.  I dont think the boys would eat it, but i could.  What else?  He has no idea.  

I think the meat pies might be a Quebec thing. And as far as I know from my in-laws it is suppose to be eaten for breakfast Christmas morning. 

Well, yes, he's from Gatinaeu and his family is from further north, all french speaking.  He also has said that presents were opened the night before.  none of this kids-waking-you-up-at-the-crack-of-dawn stuff.

The meat pie is called T... Well some T name I can't manage to spell. I think they also opened the presents on Christmas eve. 

But supposedly you would never have the meat pie for dinner. That would be strange.  :huh:

actually, in the comments under this recipe, which was posted earlier on this thread, someone said its traditional for xmas eve - so I could still do a ham for xmas day.  tho thats a lot of pork for this girl who grew up jewish!  The recipe calls for oats, which we cant do, but one of the comments said to use cracker crumbs - maybe i'd use chex crumbs or something.  

Here donair is beef while gyros are made with pork. Donair sauce is sweet, made with evaporated milk and sugar not yogurt.

Edited to add that by here, I meant where I live. Probably somewhere people are selling gyros and calling them donair.

Funny.  Where I grew up, gyros were always lamb.  However, here the donairs can be lamb, chicken, pork?, probably beef...  I don't remember.  And yes, that's right, there is some other sweet sauce now that you mention it.  I didn't really think of that as being donair sauce.

actually, in the comments under this recipe, which was posted earlier on this thread, someone said its traditional for xmas eve - so I could still do a ham for xmas day.  tho thats a lot of pork for this girl who grew up jewish!  The recipe calls for oats, which we cant do, but one of the comments said to use cracker crumbs - maybe i'd use chex crumbs or something.  

I made this last week and it was really, really good. My dh and I loved it. The kids were more "meh" about it.

However, those chocolate bar things linked earlier that start with an "n". Those things were FANTASTIC! The entire family gobbled those up in a couple of days. We definitely found a new dessert.

As for the poutine, the only person who liked it was my middle child which is what I suspected before I even made it. She already likes to dip her french fries in gravy at the local Dairy Queen. The rest of us found it a little gross.

Yes, nanaimo bars are at every gathering I attend, but I've never made them myself.

Mincemeat pie is popular.  Similar to the Quebec pork pie, but made with moose or deer meat.

Seafood chowder too, but I'm sure that's popular in any coastal fishing community.

I made this last week and it was really, really good. My dh and I loved it. The kids were more "meh" about it.

However, those chocolate bar things linked earlier that start with an "n". Those things were FANTASTIC! The entire family gobbled those up in a couple of days. We definitely found a new dessert.

As for the poutine, the only person who liked it was my middle child which is what I suspected before I even made it. She already likes to dip her french fries in gravy at the local Dairy Queen. The rest of us found it a little gross.

I was wondering how it all worked out. If I'm understanding correctly you made tourtiere (meat pie), nanaimo bars and poutine?

McDonalds has poutine!!!

I couldn't believe it when i saw the sign. I tried it today and it wasn't half bad (runs away).

:scared: Seriously? Are you in Quebec?

The McDonalds' here have it, too (poutine I mean). 

I still maintain that poutine is only good when it's from Quebec - its a particular kind of "sauce" on it (bbq ish) that makes it poutine. Different than gravy. 

I had tourtiere this past weekend at my Mom's "xmas" dinner (we'll be out of town on actual xmas) and I'm nearly certain I ate 2/3 of one meat pie to myself. YUM!!

I get hungry every time I see this thread pop up lol

I was wondering how it all worked out. If I'm understanding correctly you made tourtiere (meat pie), nanaimo bars and poutine?

Yes, those were the three dishes. I was too lazy to look up their names.

Also, can you tell me how to pronounce them. My family was asking me, but I had no idea.