Menu

Knitting/Crochetting?

Mnemosyne

Hey all,

I'm really interested in picking up knitting and/or crochetting.

Does anyone have any good resources for a very very very new beginner to learn the basics?

I'm coming from the spot of not even knowing the difference between the two... so I have a lot to learn.

:)

youtube is the best.

A friend introduced me to knitting basic stitches one evening. Whenever I need a review I look up a video.

I decided to try crochet. I thought I'd make simple ornaments. Who knows if I'll get any ornaments done, but I got some yarn and a hook and found what I wanted on youtube and started. I was going to get back to the next step of the project last night, but my internet was down for over 12 hours.

Revelry website is great. TONS of stuff and people to ask for help.

I also took a class at a local yarn store. NOT a craft store, an actual yarn store. I took it for fun mostly and to learn to knit. I also took crochet to learn with my daughter and to better my skill.

I say get thee to a yarn store and sign up for a beginner class. They might have both crochet and knitting so you could pick. I love knitting classes. I am an experienced knitter and I still take classes. There is always something new to learn. But, there are usually regular classes that teach the very basics and you will not be expected to know a single thing. Really, consider it. Ask for knitting lessons for a christmas or birthday present! Once you knit or crochet people will always know what to get you for a gift (a gift certificate to the yarn store!) And taking a class is, I think, a better way to learn because you will have some dedicated time. You can't put it off until tomorrow etc. With a class you have to work on the skill because you want to go back next time with some work accomplished.

And many yarn stores have drop in times when you can go with questions or bring your project and sit and knit or crochet and meet other people. It is really fun!

And don't feel like if you buy your yarn at, say, a craft store that you can't go to the yarn store for help. They are very nice and just want you to be successful.

Dd and I both crochet and use a knitting loom (when my wrists aren't hurting!). I've tried knitting.

For me, crochet was much easier to learn. I learned with youtube videos. I learned knitting in a class. I learned the knitting loom with youtube.

Get a pack of crochet hooks, knitting needles, or a knitting loom, a skein of yarn (big, cheap, light colored) and cuddle up with some youtube.

Hey all,

I'm really interested in picking up knitting and/or crochetting.

Does anyone have any good resources for a very very very new beginner to learn the basics?

I'm coming from the spot of not even knowing the difference between the two... so I have a lot to learn.

:)

Beth in TX on You tube has great crochet videos.  The camera is set up behind over her shoulder making it easy to see what is going on.  I taught myself through her and a few others on youtube. 

Knitting...I'm no help there, lol.

Once you get the basics down, the knitting reference by Margaret Radcliffe is excellent. Crocheting is easier. Knitting is more fun (imo) and provides endless new skills and techniques to learn. I think knitting is also easier on the hands. It took me three tries to learn how to knit because no one really knew how to get me to knit more loosely--Margaret Radcliffe's book has information this and bunches of other stuff. I would also encourage you to find someone IRL who will cast on for you and make an inch or two of nice even stitches. Then, knit more onto what's already there. It's so much easier to see distinguish what you are doing right from mistakes, holding the work in your hands, getting tension right, etc. I also recommend starting with some wool yarn that isn't too fuzzy. It's a little costlier, but you can use it to practice all kinds of new stuff. Use medium sized needles and at least worsted weight yarn. If you can find really short needles (like 7 inches or so), that's a great size to use to learn on. If you can't, you can get some rubber point protectors and stick them onto a set of double-pointed-needles that length to make them into regular needles.

I've heard that some left-handers prefer "continental" style knitting--they hold the yarn in the left hand. There are other advantages to learning continental knitting--if you like to change colors in your knitting styles, knowing how to hold the yard in either hand allows you to hold a color in each hand as you knit.

Can anyone recommend a beginners crocheting book for left handed people? It doesn't have to be all made for left handers, just one that keeps them in mind. I was all set to buy the Happy Hooker until a review says she doesn't give instructions for lefties at all.

Update to my own question about crochet books for lefties- in case someone else will benefit - 'Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet' shows illustrations for left and right hands for every stitch.  Got the rec from Ravelry, where there is a whole group devoted to left handed knitters/crocheters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Becky in TX on You tube has great crochet videos.  The camera is set up behind over her shoulder making it easy to see what is going on.  I taught myself through her and a few others on youtube. 

Knitting...I'm no help there, lol.

sorry to hijack...

did you mean beth in tx? i'm not finding becky in tx on youtube.

thx!

I love to crochet. I found this website www.classycrochet.wordpress.com and have been making the diamond lattice infinity scarf. Basically, if you can master the chain stitch and count to five you can make a pretty scarf, esp. if you use nice yarn. I made a scarf last night during a football game. I'm going to make these for Christmas presents.

I do both and I found crocheting easier to learn. I think it sets you up nicely for the continental method for knitting too. But if knitting is what you want to do I would take a class or get a friend to teach you. I would suggest starting with chunky yarn and wooden needles. Good luck!

I'm surprised that so many people find crocheting easier! I taught myself to knit using knittinghelp.com and Youtube videos and now I'm pretty good at it - able to knit socks, little stuffed animals, etc. I've tried to do crochet, but I end up getting so confused I give up.

I think these are the videos I used to get started knitting. They are for teens but I thought they explained things really well. :)

You're not alone. I've knit for 35 years and can't figure out what to do with that one hook to save my life. I both pick and throw, too, depending mood and project. Maybe I have some weird mental crochet block.

My go to book for crochet is

Basic Crochet Stitches, 250 stitches to crochet

By Erika Knight

From interweave press

It has step by step color photos of exactly how to make every stitch and what it should look like when done.

I think crochet is much easier than knitting, but I'm just learning to knit and like it too.