Menu

Would you consider it unsafe for a relatively inexperienced mom and kids (ages 10 and 13) to hike trails alone?

HappyGrace

I'd stay on the trail, bring a whistle, and borrow a big dog.  I hiked plenty of trails in the Berkshire Mountains with my collie, and I never saw even a glimpse of a bear.  Once, we came across a man who was hiking with his bear dogs --- he and his dogs were hired to chase the bears back up into the mountains, away from populated areas.  Otherwise, I never saw another person.

If you see a Black Bear make noise and wave your arms around, and it will hastily leave your presence.  One bellied up to our picnic table one day after lunch, and that worked.  My friend screamed, and the bear was gone in a flash.  Another time, the same friend was on the porch with sacks of groceries and a bear joined her there.  This time I think my little kids screaming inside the cabin for me not to open the door or the bear would get them scared it away.  Of course, I opened the door to let my friend inside.

Anyway, we've had about 10 close encounters with bears, and so far they have scared easily.  Still, I'd take along a rifle  or a big dog, just in case, along with water and a small first aid kit.  I've never been on a mountain where cell phones worked.  I would not bring any food -- absolutely nothing.  Food is bear bait.

Also, tell someone where and when you are going, and when to expect you back.   If you don't return on time, they are to look for you.  If you don't stray away from your planned path, it will be easy to find you.

Taking a rifle -- that was just my plan B, if for some reason, my dog couldn't go.  I don't own a rifle, I've  never shot one, etc., but I think a rifle would stop a bear.

Rules for wilderness hiking:

• Stay on the trail.
  • Stay with a buddy.
  • Wear a whistle so if anything happens you can use that instead of shouting.
  • Did I say stay on the trail?
  • Oh, and did I say stay with a buddy?
  • Tell someone where and when you're going.
  • And stay on the trail and with a buddy.
  • If you do get separated from your group (because you didn't stay with a buddy and you didn't stay on the trail), the instant you realize you are alone STOP AND STAY WHERE YOU ARE. Blow the whistle until someone finds you. Tie your jacket around your waist if you get hot during the day.

The importance of staying on the trail and always with a buddy cannot be overemphasized. I will tell you a sad story, which is doubly sad because it could so easily have been prevented.

Some years ago in Southern California, a family went camping in their RV. The three young sons went for a hike; on the way back, they decided, being boys, to race back to camp. One of the boys decided to take a shortcut through the trees, and he got lost. He did not survive. The search-and-rescue team found him very close to the campsite; but apparently he had wandered around trying to find his way back, and the searchers kept missing him. They found his jacket, and a shoe, where he had discarded them. :-( Vowing to never let that happen again, they wrote a program called "Hug a Tree," which included information such as always staying on the trail, never go hiking alone, always stay with a buddy, and so on.

As long as you stay on the trail and stay with your group, y'all should be fine. :-)

I live in a city.  Not saying I couldn't get it, but it seems far less likely.  I live in an area where it's nearly an epidemic.  I was once in a homeschool group (filled with hiking loving folk) and like half the people had contracted Lymes.  It's just gotten to the point where I'm too freaked out because of knowing that.

Natrapel is a staple in our van.  Great anti-tick and no DEET.

My hiking experience is limited to the southern Apalachians, and the best advice I have is to be careful judging the length of the hike. Eight miles in the mountains is drastically different than the same mileage in your neighborhood. I have known people who chose hikes without keeping this in mind, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I have been told to plan for an hour per mile. I have found that we hike at a faster pace than this, but if you add time to explore and eat. It is about right if you are in the mountains.

I have encountered bears on trails before, but it was no big deal. Usually they will hear you first so all you will see is the back end of the bear as it runs away or scrambles down a tree.

I am planning some hikes for next year with just me and my daughter, so I will be following this thread. For now, my plan is to hike trails I have been on before that are generally well used. If there are many cars parked at the trailhead, that equals safety to me. (In the past, I would have been annoyed, but priorities change.)

Enjoy your hike!

If you are new to hiking, I'd start small with one to two hour hikes on popular trails. I have no problem hiking with my kids alone. Especially within cell phone range. Black bears are a fairly common occurrence where we live. Just be calm, make some noise, go the other direction slowly. Tell someone where you are going, bring a whistle, water, snacks. I'm sure it would be fun to go with another family, but not having someone else to go with would not stop me from going.

Before my DH and I were married, we went on a week long wilderness hiking trip with 7 and 11 year old. They did great. It was fun. We've done a number of extended trips with our kids in National Parks. My DH and I sometimes take turns taking the kids out, and sometimes go alone. I wouldn't let the non-outdoorsy folk get you down. :)

I know many people who've had lyme disease locally. My husband is an orienteer, so many of his friends have had it. Just be aware. Docs here are good and IDing it early. I know a couple dozen people who've had it, and no one has had any long term bad affects.

I took my kids on a "forced march" a few times this summer. Not sure you could actually call it hiking but the parks we did go to called them "hiking trails". Basically they were just 1-3 mile long trails with some small hills through the parks, along the water, in the woods, etc.

The first time our foster son was NOT happy about the idea as he wanted a playground, not trails. Afterwards though he was begging to go back again the next day. The kids found all kinds of plants, sticks, trees to climb, etc. It was a VERY slow "hike" though as we had to stop so often and then the door would swim in the river, etc. but it was much better than staying home.

We began hiking with our kids when they were 4 and 6. I would take them out myself on shorter hikes to increase their stamina. I have a few health issues that kept me from doing longer hikes solo with them, but that is the only reason; it was never worry about bears, other people, or ticks that kept us off the longer stuff.  I had another homeschooling friend with more experience hiking with children that helped mentor me and we did longer hikes with her.  A lot of her experience came from classes she took through the AMC, which most likely has chapters in the OPs area, too. They often run classes that include children or are designed to get the whole family involved in hiking. If you look around, you may also be able to find a local outdoor education center that occasionally conducts classes for kids on what to do when they are lost in the woods. There are plenty of winter survival/outdoor survival classes running for homeschoolers around here; perhaps there are some to be found where the OP is also. 

I strongly recommend reading Up, by Patricia Ellis Herr. She and her two daughters have hiked extensively throughout NH and beyond. The book chronicles some of their adventures.  I found it particularly useful because Tricia is one of the first places that really went into the type and way she carried supplies when hiking with young children. I've heard her speak as well as read her book and she goes into why she carries things (like two whistles per person) a little more when she speaks, but there really weren't that many people writing about hiking with children when I was starting out. She is very passionate about getting moms out on the trails with their kids.  The Herr girls are homeschooled, so it is also neat to hear a little bit about that :)

Final thing: You need headlamps or flashlights in your gear all the time when you hike. Every. Single. Time.  The majority of people who get stuck up here do not have them when they get into trouble. Getting lost or simply spraining an ankle and waiting for help to mobilize and come pull you out often puts you in the woods after dark even when you had no intention of still being there.

That's what dh and I thought too first time we went hiking in the Smokies. Then a bear crossed our path about 10 yards ahead of us. We had just been asking each other what we should do if we saw a bear--and one shows up! We didn't know you're supposed to make noise so we turned sideways and kept still. The bear just watched us as it walked to a water fountain on the path and started drinking. Then it walked away. Phew!

Many years later, back in the Smokies, on a different trail we came across fresh bear scat. Our younger ds was about 6yo and very nervous that a bear might be close by. It was. But farther than that first time we saw a bear. We started talking really really loudly and the bear did amble off in the opposite direction. But poor ds was nervous until we got back in the car.

Inquiring minds want to know:

How did the bear drink from the water fountain?  Did it push the button to get the water to come out of the spout?

I hike with my 5,3, and 1 year old. It's great exercise and it wears my kids out. I generally stick to state park trails and nature sanctuary trails. I carry the baby and let the other two walk, they can handle a 4 mile hike pretty well, and we can do that in under 2 hours. These are not super challenging trails, but not boring either. I generally have cell service since they aren't too far out of town. I always let my husband know where we are headed and generally there is a sign in at the trailhead.

We have many nature preserves in our state, the trails in some are not heavily used or maintained, I am not as comfortable taking my kids on those trails by myself. They are in more isolated areas and may get hiked only a few times a month. I think when they are a but older it will be fine though.

I do always carry water, a snack, flashlight, and whistle. I also bring hats and mittens for the kids in cooler weather just in case something happens.

If you have a local outdoor store, you could get advice about good trails. They may also offer some type of first aid class or be able to point you to one.

Inquiring minds want to know:

How did the bear drink from the water fountain?  Did it push the button to get the water to come out of the spout?

It was leaking so there was a very small amount of water coming out of the spout. This was one of those old fountains (well, it *was* about 25 years ago) where you turn the knob. Those older fountains seemed to leak more than the newer ones do. Although I wouldn't have put it past a bear to have figured out how to work a water fountain.

This was the same trip that a bear entered the campground and pigged out on the food some campers left behind at their site. Some people tried to chase the bear away by yelling and banging on pots. It ran away once but came right back when they moved away from the site. And when no one came forward to claim it was their site those people just let the bear have at it. It had gotten inside the mosquito netting canopy that was over the picnic table area and just sat on the bench and helped itself to whatever was left on the table. I'm sure the rangers weren't too pleased about that. But we didn't hang around to find out how it all turned out.

How about getting lost? I wouldn't mind doing more hiking in the wilderness if I was better at direction. I once got lost in my own backyard. Wandered all over the woods, carrying the cat and trying to find my way back home. I envy people who have an internal compass.

I wouldn't mind hearing from those who carry something for direction. I can even get lost on well marked trails, and have to consult maps often, so anybody with a help on that end of things, chime in. I'd actually like to add some wilderness trails and do some trail running next year. Is there a good hand-held GPS I could get that would make me a little safer? As it is, I stick to well marked places and won't even try trails that I am not sure hook up with the main trails.

How about getting lost? I wouldn't mind doing more hiking in the wilderness if I was better at direction..

I wouldn't mind hearing from those who carry something for direction. I can even get lost on well marked trails, and have to consult maps often, so anybody with a help on that end of things, chime in. I'd actually like to add some wilderness trails and do some trail running next year. Is there a good hand-held GPS I could get that would make me a little safer? As it is, I stick to well marked places and won't even try trails that I am not sure hook up with the main trails.

A map. Consult the map frequently so you know at all times where you are. If you stay on a trail and follow your progress on the map, I don't see how you could get lost. Do not wait with looking at the map until you are lost!

In confusing terrain, you might want to carry a GPS. You can load maps onto the GPS, but as insurance for getting lost I recommend the following: set a waypoint at your trail head where the car is. Then you can set a mode so an arrow points towards that point, i.e., your car - no matter whether you lose the trail, just follow the arrow cross country and you'll get back to where you need to go. And it also tells you how far you are from that point and how long it will approximately take to get there, based on your current speed. Very handy.

There are tons of hand held GPS units, usually used for geocatching, but really --  go to the web sites of your local state parks and nature reserves.  They almost always have trail maps online.  Find 5 REALLY easy looking ones. Do all those, then decide if you really need a $150 piece of technology to help you get around.

I still have to make an "L" with my left hand to know my right from left. It's ridiculous how bad it is. My best advise for trail map reading is to always look at the map in the direction you're going. Don't hold it like a book with a top and bottom. Find where you are, and put that spot towards your  belly, so you have a really simple visual of what's to your left, right and what's ahead.

A map. Consult the map frequently so you know at all times where you are. If you stay on a trail and follow your progress on the map, I don't see how you could get lost. Do not wait with looking at the map until you are lost!

Niether do I. And yet, I do. Even in places with well marked trails with maps at the trail-heads I have been known to get turned around. I did seriously get lost in my own yard. I almost panic when my boys go back walking in the woods behind the house, because I find it so easy to get lost. They, however, have that internal compass. My DH finds it really strange that I can get so baffled. He's used to striking off a trail and always finding his way back to it no matter how far he wanders.

In confusing terrain, you might want to carry a GPS. You can load maps onto the GPS, but as insurance for getting lost I recommend the following: set a waypoint at your trail head where the car is. Then you can set a mode so an arrow points towards that point, i.e., your car - no matter whether you lose the trail, just follow the arrow cross country and you'll get back to where you need to go. And it also tells you how far you are from that point and how long it will approximately take to get there, based on your current speed. Very handy.

See, this is what I need. I just need to know in what direction the way out lies. And east/west/north/south won't cut it. I've been known to end up east of where I needed to be when my truck compass showed me going west. I am one of those people who tend to go in circles.

It's so interesting that some people have this problem.  I do too.  If I set the table, at each spot I have to think about which is left vs. right.

You are not the only one. If I'm trying to remember right and left I almost have to put myself in the position of the plate and think about which utensil I would write with.

Regarding getting lost:

I print out a trail map of where I'm going to go. It gets put in a ziplock bag. I fold up a second one and stick it in my pocket. Each kid gets one for his or her pack. I go over it with the oldest. The kids have their own compasses, but we are still practicing with them. The rule is they don't try to map and compass their way out of being lost; they stay put. They get map and compasses as learning tools and as backups for me. I also study where we are going via other trail maps and satellite maps before hand and talk it out with anyone. I'm not great with a map and it takes me a long time to think things through. I'm much better at keeping track when it is just me than when I am with other adults. 

My recommendation is that you set the timer on your phone for very short intervals and check your map against what you see on the ground and get in that habit. If directions are really tough it's completely ok to set that alarm to check every five minutes. You are teaching yourself a skill and as you build confidence you will be able to move the intervals farther and farther apart. (Normally we turn cells off to conserve battery, but I leave them on when the party splits up or I need the timer. I use the timer a lot.) I have checked the AMC course offerings for both NH and in NY (for a friend getting into hiking there) and I've seen map reading offered in both states. I know Spiral Scouts offers a badge in it, so there is probably material out there available through GS, BS, 4H or the DIY.org place.   

When I'm with the kids myself I have check-in routines worked out with my husband. These are due mostly to my health issues, which are most likely to cause us to be late on the trail (a bad low blood sugar could mean we need to stop for 30-45 minutes per incident). Calls seldom work on the trails, but texts often do much better. I contact someone before we step onto the trailhead, once we are at the summit or "stopping point", and back at the car.  

I'm a little surprised how many of you have cell reception in the wilderness. Our phones cut out at the gates of the park. 

I got lost in the woods a couple of months ago when out hiking (the trail "disappeared" about halfway through.)  I was posting to Facebook the whole time about being lost in the woods.  My GPS was not as helpful as it should have been!

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but learn the blazes to be able to follow the map (or whatever trail markers your park system uses).  If you're in the northeast, bear are like sharks -- too much press for too few encounters.  Make noise while you walk.  I had a little tinkly bear bell for a while, but it drove me nuts.   A geocacher we know has a battered cowbell on a pack string, which I suppose has more of a soothing bovine groove to it.

400px-Trail_blaze-symbols.png

How about getting lost? I wouldn't mind doing more hiking in the wilderness if I was better at direction. I once got lost in my own backyard. Wandered all over the woods, carrying the cat and trying to find my way back home. I envy people who have an internal compass.

Maybe you need an orienteering class or to go with someone more experienced a few times.  The only times I've been back country hiking I was with my dad and he is a master with a  terrain map and compass.  I'm not comfortable enough with my skills to try that type of hiking without him yet.

I have a hand held GPS, but I generally just use the mapmyrun app on my phone, unless we are geocaching too.  I'm not doing back country hiking though.

I am a bit of a free range parent so my kids hike without an adult all the time and have been since they were 13, 12, and 10. They each carry a small backpackers wit some basic first aid supplies, rain ponchos, mylar emergency blanket (holds heat in and weighs maybe a 100 grams), pair of dry socks, 30 mile walkie

talkies (I have one on my person at all times while they are gone), compass, map of the land they are

hiking if the area is new to them, extra water, and a water purification tablet...oh and since dh is

allergic to bee stings which makes it more likely that one of the kids may develop that allergy, an

epipen and liquid benadryl...they know how to administer the shot and are mentally prepared to do so.

They also carry sandwiches, granola, and cashew or almonds.

So I say be prepared for the unlikely event of getting completely lost or badly injured, and then go have

a great time. Start easy and gradually increase the difficulty level and distance from civilization.

Invest in good hiking boots, high end walkies talkies so you have communication even in the boonies where

cell phone signals fail, decent jackets, and good first aid kits. With proper equipment, some of which

is not expensive from places like amazon, you should be good to go.

Faith

Hiking is a wonderful activity. Here's what I would do:

- Go to a park with well marked trails.

- If available, have a map of the area and practice following where you are on the map.

- Bring a compass to use along with the map. If you get all turned around on the trail, the compass can help get you back in the right direction.

- Choose a shorter trail than you think you could handle at first.

- Wear proper footwear depending on the terrain. Runners at the very least. No sandles, crocs or flip flops.

- Have a first-aid kit in the car, and bring along a few band-aids and small stuff for the multi-hour hike in case of blisters.

- Stay on the trails and stay together.

- Bring along water and light-weight, high-energy snacks (gorp/trail mix, granola bars, chocolate)

Enjoy the experience on the trails!!  If you and the kids are interested, buy a book with local flora and fauna and try identifying trees, plants, flowers, etc.

Also, if you happen to be in Michigan, the state park rangers are great.You can register a hike with them

and they'll give you maps, advice, their own walkie talkie frequencies and cell phone number, etc. If you

register your hike, make sure you call in or stop by the ranger station when you return because if you are more than two hours late, they'll bring a posse of rangers and experienced campers to look for you. We always check in by walkie talkie or phone if we are late...which definitely happens if we find a good trout

fishing hole somewhere off the trail. Dh or middle boy catch a trout, it takes a tornado or monsoon to

force them home! I must admit I do love a nice pan fried brook or rainbow trout!